The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

the rumor mills are working overtime....

@nhlsourcessay claiming the kings are talking with both the Canadiens (probably talking to everyone else as well...) and the Hurricanes... kings have issues scoring so might be interested in ruutu? No idea what they got that we could acquire and they would be willing to give up if it is true.

I think the Schenn to Philly talk does hurt Gleason going to Philly. I read an article stating JR is asking more than what Philly is willing to give up for Gleason. IF Philly does give up JVR for Schenn, I don't see them giving up a good pick/prospect for another dman.

I think we all agree that Tim Gleason WILL be traded at some point this season. Who gets his "A" when he's gone? My vote is for Jay Harrison.

I think the Schenn to Philly talk does hurt Gleason going to Philly. I read an article stating JR is asking more than what Philly is willing to give up for Gleason. IF Philly does give up JVR for Schenn, I don't see them giving up a good pick/prospect for another dman.

I think we all agree that Tim Gleason WILL be traded at some point this season. Who gets his "A" when he's gone? My vote is for Jay Harrison.

I agree it would be for Jay Harrison to as well.

Edited by JDMayo

Gleason likely to be on radar at deadline- Boston Globe

General manager Peter Chiarelli and Carolina counterpart Jim Rutherford have a trading history. On July 5, 2011, the Bruins acquired Corvo for a 2012 fourth-round pick. On July 24, 2009, the Bruins traded Aaron Ward to the Hurricanes for Patrick Eaves and a 2010 fourth-rounder.

The Bruins won’t be the only contenders interested in Gleason.

The left-shot defenseman is known for being a steady presence on and off the ice. Rutherford most likely will entertain multiple offers and play them against each other to drive up the price.

General manager Peter Chiarelli and Carolina counterpart Jim Rutherford have a trading history. On July 5, 2011, the Bruins acquired Corvo for a 2012 fourth-round pick. On July 24, 2009, the Bruins traded Aaron Ward to the Hurricanes for Patrick Eaves and a 2010 fourth-rounder.

The left-shot defenseman is known for being a steady presence on and off the ice. Rutherford most likely will entertain multiple offers and play them against each other to drive up the price.

Joe Corvo also has a few things to say about playing shutdown and about Gleason's play.

Joe Corvo also has a few things to say about playing shutdown and about Gleason's play.

This is why I hate the "Business side" If Timmy goes to a team with a legit shot at the cup I will be happy for him-But I hope it's just a rental though...

This is why I hate the "Business side" If Timmy goes to a team with a legit shot at the cup I will be happy for him-But I hope it's just a rental though...

If you're a Timmy G fan now is the time to catch a home game because I seriously doubt he will be back next season.

Hopefully JR will use him as part of a deal for a Top 6 scorer ... maybe a Duck.

If you're a Timmy G fan now is the time to catch a home game because I seriously doubt he will be back next season.

Yep I hear ya- That's why I bought tickets to 5 home games this month alone LOL...Taking in all I can before the trade deadline and drive from J'ville to see them :popcorn:.

Curious though-what makes you think he will go and not come back? His choice or JR's?

Here's a question for those who are eager to see us deal Gleason at/before the deadline. Who is going to play a shutdown role against the opposition's top line? Granted, Gleason has been inconsistent and he is likely suited to a role where he is not used as the primary defense-first defenseman. However, he is the best option we have.

Edited by OBXer

Here's a question for those who are eager to see us deal Gleason at/before the deadline.... Who

... We should make it a priority to re-sign Ruutu....

I don't think there are many "eager" to move Gleason. Most are reacting to trade talk/chatter and opinions of board posters who think Gleason wants to move on.

While I admire his grit, he's slow. JR wants an uptempo, puck moving, squad - especially from the back end. His model is the Cup winning Hawks (though he forgets about Big Buff as a rugged body IMO). His eye is on Faulk, Murphy and Joni (not sure about McBain).

I completely agree about Ruutu and hope that gets done before the deadline.

Anyone else thinking we are going to end up with either Brassard or Vermette? While we will be sellers before and at the deadline, JR is still going to be looking for top 6 help, whether during the season or offseason. These two players are top 6 material, and CBJ are looking to move them. Just makes sense to me.

Anyone else thinking we are going to end up with either Brassard or Vermette? While we will be sellers before and at the deadline, JR is still going to be looking for top 6 help, whether during the season or offseason. These two players are top 6 material, and CBJ are looking to move them. Just makes sense to me.

I was liking Vermette as a nice 2nd round center, but he's not putting up numbers this year. Come to think of it, that might be just the guy for JR then. You know who is putting up goals though? Some guy named Eric Cole seems to be on a 30 goal pace again. If only we had him.

Neither are exactly melting the ice up in Columbus. If the trade price was right I suppose either Brassard or Vermette might be worth a shot.

I was liking Vermette as a nice 2nd round center, but he's not putting up numbers this year. Come to think of it, that might be just the guy for JR then. You know who is putting up goals though? Some guy named Eric Cole seems to be on a 30 goal pace again. If only we had him.

This is why just once I wish we would keep players that are playing well here in Carolina and stop looking for the "magic stick".Sometimes you find what you need/are looking for in your own backyard.

The list goes on...Wallin/Corvo/Cole/Cullen/Williams/Whitney/Ladd...insert just about any players name that is playing well and it will probably be an "EX-Cane"

Frustrating :facepalm:

JR please stay out of the "projects"

Edited by Pkling40

We might be over the cap if we kept all of thos players with their current contracts. Plus, they are all much older now than they were when 2006, of course. :)

Plus, JR tried to keep Cole, but he was offered an insane contract my Montreal, which included a no trade clause. I can't blame JR for walking away.

We might be over the cap if we kept all of thos players with their current contracts. Plus, they are all much older now than they were when 2006, of course. :)

Plus, JR tried to keep Cole, but he was offered an insane contract my Montreal, which included a no trade clause. I can't blame JR for walking away.

LOL true I was thinking of their ages when we traded/lost them.

I'm not saying bring them back now I was just using them as examples.

I would agree about Cole except JR signed Kabs :facepalm: for what was an insane amount...My guess is the Habs felt bad for taking Cole and felt they owed JR and took Kabs off our hands LOL.

I hate "building team chemistry" and waiting for the team to "gel" every year...can we please hit the ground running (or skating) just 1 season.

This "dig yourself out" is tough on a Caniac :nailbite:

Edited by Pkling40

Yeah, I'm hoping JR and the rest of management tries something outside of the box, like a huge trade or something. Realistically speaking, I wonder what exactly it would take to acquire Ryan.

Hi guys, visiting Canucks fan here.

On our boards, Tim Gleason is the hot topic in Trade Proposals. Just to clear things up, can he play the right side effectively, and what would you guys consider fair value?

Hi guys, visiting Canucks fan here.

On our boards, Tim Gleason is the hot topic in Trade Proposals. Just to clear things up, can he play the right side effectively, and what would you guys consider fair value?

Gleason can play right side. I thought Gleason would bring a 2nd rounder and prospect but I see many of the pundits now say he should bring a 1st rounder. If/when we trade Gleason it will leave a big hole (IMO) in our D. He plays with an edge, He is solid and occasionally but rarely shows an offensive side. He would be one player I wouldn't get what I can for but get hold out to get what I want.

x

Predators could pursue Ruutu

TheFourthPeriod.com

The Nashville Predators would like to add some extra fire power heading into the second half of the season and may go after Carolina sniper Tuomo Ruutu. According to the Edmonton Journal, Ruutu would look good in Nashville, though other teams, like Pittsburgh, will be after time.

Ruutu, 28, has scored 15 goals with the Hurricanes this season and is on pace to match a career high with 26 goals. Drafted ninth-overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2001, Ruutu will be one of the most coveted forwards heading towards the Feb. 27 trade deadline.

Not sure if this one was posted or not:

Players for sale in Carolina

TheFourthPeriod.com

Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford may be in no hurry to make deals while patiently waiting for the Feb. 27 trade deadline. The Ottawa Sun claims that Rutherford is shopping all of his potential unrestricted free agents.

The Canes have struggled since the start of the season and currently sit in 14th place of the Eastern Conference, 11 points out of a playoff spot. Forwards Tuomo Ruutu and Alexei Ponikarovsky, and defensemen Bryan Allen, Jaroslav Spacek and Tim Gleason are available and could bring a return that would allow Rutherford to commit to a team rebuild. The GM was also trying to deal blueliner Joni Pitkanen, who has two years remaining on his contract with a cap hit of $4.5 million, before he underwent knee surgery last week. Several teams have been shopping for defensive help, while it has been reported that the San Jose Sharks could hold interest in acquiring either Gleason or Spacek to boost their blueline.

x

I just realized the deadline is February 27th, ya'll had me feeling like it was next week.

How can anyone get this excited about something a month and a half away? These journalists are writing almost anything to stir rumors that are half baked at best.

Wish we could discuss upcoming games like we discuss dealing our team away.