The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Ruutu will be one of the players that will/should go for one of the better returns. If JR wants to re-sign him in the summer, he can still do that. JR doesn't do deals during the season and it's too risky to let a guy like that walk and get nothing in return if you are running a budget (cheap) team like the Canes.

I am a huge Ruutu fan. In some ways one of my favorites and I want him on our team next year. But I have to agree, if JR is not going to sign him then he must get a return on him. He will definitely be sought after and I predict he will bring a first rounder.

I think that we might have a shot to resign him in free agency and that would be super sweet. Rent him out, get a first round pick, then sign him again.

I read a article today about us potential trade for Jakub Voracek from Philadelphia for Tim Gleason. What do you guys think it will happen or wont? I hope he can stay but I don't know we need help on offense and defense can't loose one of our best D man when our other one is out with knee surgery.

I read a article today about us potential trade for Jakub Voracek from Philadelphia for Tim Gleason. What do you guys think it will happen or wont? I hope he can stay but I don't know we need help on offense and defense can't loose one of our best D man when our other one is out with knee surgery.

It won't happen because JV doesn't play our style of hockey. Van Riemsdyk on the other hand does. When Joni comes back who do you sit surely not faulk. they will trade Gleason because we have depth at D. maybe not as good as Timmy G. but we have enough talent to trade G and still win with the guys we have if we can get a scorer for him.

I am 100% for trading Gleason because we are stacked at Defense and he could fetch a good return. With Joni coming back from injury, Joslin already available, and Murphy probably next year, I feel totally fine with getting rid of Gleason (or McBain, or Allen). Especially if we could get a top 6 guy! Total no brainer to me. Top 6 guys are so hard to come by that I would give Gleason and Poni/Boychuk/Tlusty/Nodl/Stewart/Dwyer/draft pick for a top 6 guy. Voracek or JVR sound great! I think Gleason is good, its just that we have pletny of D and potential D, and not nearly enough top 6 talent. Thats why Im really stuck on Ruutu. I love Ruutu (Probably my favorite forward behind Staal and Skinner). But I would hate if he walked after this year and we got nothing for him, but Id also hate to see him get traded...Ideally Id love if we traded him to a contender and got a great return like we should for a player of his level, then he came back at a reasonable price in the summer (Finn hometown discount?). That would be perfect. But since that is utopia and the NHL is reality, I dont know what to do about Ruutu. But Gleason or Allen or McBain+lower level canes...trade away!

I am pretty confident that Ruutu, and Gleason is done at the deadline. Other guys I think have a chance of being moved Allen and LaRose. LaRose is going to turn 30 this year and we could get a very high quality pick/prospect because alot of teams around the league want him. This would open a spot for Bowman, Dalpe, Samson, Boychuk, new guy dadanov. this could give a few of these guys valuable play time with the canes. i wouldn't be surprised if dywer is also moved because i think Bowman produced more in the few games he played than dywer all season. This is what i think. Ruutu and Gleason will be moved. With possibilities of Allen,LaRose and Dywer.

LaRose is going to turn 30 this year and we could get a very high quality pick/prospect because alot of teams around the league want him.

Interesting you brought this up because I agree, lots of teams/coaches love guys like LaRose and what they bring to the ice and the locker room. Laviolette always talked about how much LaRose contributed and even once said he wished he had a more guys like him and when Maurice took over after Lavi, LaRose was benched to start but quickly earned his way back onto the roster. When Muller came in, LaRose was moved off the top line and put into a role better suited to his skill set but Muller made it clear as soon as he got injured, this team needed LaRose and would sorely miss him what he contributes

So...I've been paying close attention to the past few games to see what not having LaRose in the line up does and because the overall team game has been so much better lately, I'm finding it hard to come to any conclusions. I'm curious what others think and if in fact other teams show interest in him, what do people think he'd be worth in trade.

I have also been wondering about LaRose and his value to our team and more importantly his potential value to a playoff team. We have been playing well while he has been out and I'm sure that hasn't gone unnoticed. Oddly enough I think our scoring has been down while Rosey has been sidelined. He was on pace for 20 goals. But his real advantage to a team is he can jump into almost any role, he brings experience, he seems to lighten up the locker room and he is a real pain in the neck to other teams. He is always chirping at opponents and doesn't shy away from the rough stuff.

If I'm a playoff team looking for someone that can bring experience and motivation to the team I think I would look at LaRose. I think it will be a sellers market so it might surprise us what we can get for Rosey. I'm inclined to think it would be a straight up trade for a similar but younger player with a mid round draft choice thrown in.

Mind you I'm not advocating we trade Rosey as the attributes he would bring to a playoff bound team are just as important to a team like ours with a growing youth movement.

Still in a season like ours I expect all options will be considered.

That's pretty close to what I was thinking too. He comes with tons of playoff experience and a Stanley Cup ring which is something contending teams need in their locker rooms for the playoffs. I think he's going to be worth a lot more than most might think, he'd make the perfect rental player IMO.

It won't happen because JV doesn't play our style of hockey. Van Riemsdyk on the other hand does.

You do realize JVR is out indefinitely with a concussion? Jakub Voracek would fit nicely here, IMO, particularly if we let Ruutu go at the deadline. He's young, and is a big, speedy right wing who can open up ice and is a playmaker. How's that not our style of hockey, or anybody's for that matter?

So, for those of you who seem confident we can resign rental players (e.g. Ruutu), I don't remember us having much luck resigning rentals in the off season.

You do realize JVR is out indefinitely with a concussion? Jakub Voracek would fit nicely here, IMO, particularly if we let Ruutu go at the deadline. He's young, and is a big, speedy right wing who can open up ice and is a playmaker. How's that not our style of hockey, or anybody's for that matter?

So, for those of you who seem confident we can resign rental players (e.g. Ruutu), I don't remember us having much luck resigning rentals in the off season.

I agree with your assessment. Talk of Ruutu being a rental player because JR will NOT violate his rule of negotiating and re-signing a player during the season. Seems like he should be doing that now to see if there's a re-signing chance before the trade deadline. If Canes trade Ruutu, we need to go after 2-Top 6 guys, like JV & JVR or Bobby Ryan (TOR rumored after him) and Perry/Gezlaf. I'd like to see a bundled deal with D-men, top 9 forward, draft pick/prospect(s) and not straight-up deals like only Gleason or only LaRose, etc. Canes need help now and not draft picks or more prospects IMO.

Our style of hockey is dump and chase which we need guys not afraid to go to the boards for pucks and JV has shown a very timid Fore checking at times. Thats why JVR is a perfect fit he does that stuff. With the deadline over a month away JVR should have plenty of time to heal from this concussion.

Our style of hockey is dump and chase which we need guys not afraid to go to the boards for pucks and JV has shown a very timid Fore checking at times. Thats why JVR is a perfect fit he does that stuff. With the deadline over a month away JVR should have plenty of time to heal from this concussion.

That's a funny comment considering 1) JV is known for being strong along the boards, and 2) Muller emphasizes entering the zone with speed and possession.

Regardless, and in the context of the discussion of trading Gleason for Vorachek, I think he fills a big need and would be a good fit, and would likely come a little cheaper (goals cost more than assists). The biggest knock on Vorachek I've heard and read is he needs to shoot a little more, as teams may be keying in on the fact he's a pass first playmaker. Don't get me wrong, I would luv to have JVR as well, but we weren't discussing him in particular.

With that said, the Flyers would be idiots to trade Vorachek for a rental.

Edited by coastal_caniac

it is tough to assess LaRose's value. There is his value to this team now and next year, and to another team.

My take is that LaRose as top 6 is a net negative. No amount of fire and attitude makes up for dragging a top line down and contributing a minus 17.

LaRose as a third liner is in general a huge positive. He is a plus or even player there, and has put up around 20 goals. That is very nice from a third liner.

I would argue, however, that in our situation, the third line is the place for our prospects. Put Dalpe and Bowman, or Samson, or Tlusty, on Sutter's wings. Yes it is a checking line, but they get NHL ice time, unlike the 4th line, less pressure to score, and can learn defensive responsibility but still have the chance to try offensive moves. One can score 20 goals from the third line. Further, we have Dwyer, and Stewart.

But a mature team not interested in playing a lot of prospects, and making a playoff run, maybe not filled with a glut of third liners, might just love a LaRose on their third line.

If there is value to be had for LaRose, I'd move him. It's not that he wouldn't make a very nice third liner, it's just that we don't need third liners, we have a ton of them.

Edited by remkin

Like Remkin, I think LaRose is an enigma. He scores from the top-6, but he's a liability there. Put him in the bottom six, he's likely good for around 25 points. Then there's that intangible on the ice and in the locker room. Hard to argue with that.

Personally, I'm fine with him staying. But, he's aging, and he's small. I want the team to get bigger, particularly considering the realignment talk.

As far as getting picks for him, I'm not sure what he would bring, but to some team he could likely fetch a second rounder, at best. A lateral move may be worth considering, if we can bring back a younger guy with size that can put up similar numbers. But then I go back to his veteran presence in the room and the ice.

Tough call, he truly is an enigma.

Youth vs Vets fine line needs balance.I believe we are seeing the results of losing important Veteran players and not really replacing them...I won't start naming them-you need these players in the lockerroom and ice to mentor/teach the youth about what it takes mentally to compete at this level.

I'm curious to know what is the ages of the players on the cup team-what was the average age of that team.It's about balance.

There is also a fine line/balance in the size of the team.In todays NHL you can stand to be a little smaller if you have speed and puck handeling skills-again I won't start naming players around the league but there are many-but you need some team size as well-Putting a competitive team on the ice from season to season is challenging indeed-

As for Larose he is "that guy" in the locker room-it's not always about the numbers-salary or points-Attitude brings a lot more to the ice some nights...

Good discussion re: LaRose. I agree with rem. In the top 6 he's a liability. He's a great 3rd liner but as I've mentioned before I would clear our 3rd line of every single vet (Poni, LaRose, Tlusty, Dwyer) and make room for Bowman, Boychuk and Samson to see if they can cut it at this level.

I'd also be using the 4th line as the shutdown line. Why can't we roll 9 deep with scoring talent?

Poni has been traded to New Jersey for 4th round pick and Joe Sova

Making room for the young guys.

I had higher hopes for Poni. He actually got some decent "garbage" goals earlier on, but lately hasn't been much of a factor as the Canes have kind of caught fire in the last 5 games or so.

From Hockeydb.com

Joe Sova Defense Born May 8 1988

Berwyn, IL

Height 6.03 -- Weight 190 -- Shoots R

-----------------------------------------GP-G-A--pts

2005-06 Waterloo Black Hawks USHL 40 2 5 7

2006-07 Sioux City Musketeers USHL 58 4 19 23

2007-08 Omaha Lancers USHL 59 7 11 18

2008-09 U. of Alaska-Fairbanks CCHA 39 3 7 10

2009-10 U. of Alaska-Fairbanks CCHA 39 6 18 24

2010-11 U. of Alaska-Fairbanks CCHA 37 4 20 24

2011-12 Kalamazoo Wings* ECHL 18 2 5 7

2011-12 Albany Devils AHL 13 2 2 4

From Hockeysfuture.com

Sova has an intriguing skill set and will be one to keep a close eye on as he plays his first full season of pro hockey in 2011-12. While likely not a top four talent, Sova could eventually emerge into a solid third-pairing blue liner who can contribute on the power-play.

I like Poni but he didn't live up to expectations. Looks to me like JR is trying to correct some mistakes he made in the off season.

I like Poni but he didn't live up to expectations. Looks to me like JR is trying to correct some mistakes he made in the off season.

Yeah he had some ups and downs. I think he was mostly brought here because he was familiar with Maurice, and since Mo's gone and Poni was only signed for 1 year, he was going to be on another roster next season anyway.

Yeah he had some ups and downs. I think he was mostly brought here because he was familiar with Maurice, and since Mo's gone and Poni was only signed for 1 year, he was going to be on another roster next season anyway.

We've got a winner! That's it.

TKabs, now Poni. Two Mo wash-outs. Some of the others may stay, but Poni clearly didn't work out as well as hoped.