The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

Yeah but Atlanta/Jets cashed in big time on that fire sale and where has that gotten them?

I agree with both of you, picking up just one or two of the Hawks that off season might have made a difference, though I'm not sure it would have been enough.

The returns for both Ruutu and Gleason could be really high; I'm excited to see what we are going to get. I can understand wanting to keep them, but even if we trade them it doesn't mean they won't be back next year. We'll see.

Allen, I believe, is a different story. I think the max we could get for him is something around the value of a 3rd round pick. Nothing wrong with that, but it's really not that much. Allen is a UFA I would consider extending before the trade deadline. He does so much for us in our own end; he's a kind of player we haven't had in a while. I would like to keep him.

Canes Now reports Rutherford indicates he isn't initiating trade calls and is looking at more of a hockey trade then deadline trade and will look at trading for a veteran if it makes sense and if he comes with a contract in place. Of course the player would have to fit into our financial and long term plans.

Did we just up the ante for our UFAs?

x

So I found this interesting proposal being tossed around in the world wide web -

To Car - 1st round pick, Jordan Caron, Tommy Cross

To Boston - Ruutu, Gleason

You could look at it like a 1st and Cross for Ruutu, and Caron for Gleason. I think JR would be ok with that return.

BTW, Cross is team captain for Boston Collge who is paired with Brian Dumoulin. He's a strong physical, stay-at-home dman.

Edited by jeromeo87

Top 25 available players from The Fourth Period...Ruutu is #8 and Gleason is #15. The only name where we allegedly have an interest is Bobby Ryan. Doubtful the Ducks (who have a real need to upgrade defensively) would give up Ryan even for both Gleason and Ruutu who will be UFA's at the end of the year.

Could Gleason and a prospect like Austin Levi (who looked REALLY good in the world juniors) be enough? I doubt it but if it is defense that Anaheim wants, we are the team to talk to as we have proven vets (Gleason, Pitkanen, Spacek, Allen), talented young'uns (McBain, Joslin) and a wealth of prospects to boot (Biega, Levi, Sanguinetti, Kreuger). Ryan Murphy, Mr. Faulk and Doumalin are not on the young stars list of tradeable assets as I think they are pretty much untouchable.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25/index.html

So I found this interesting proposal being tossed around in the world wide web -

To Car - 1st round pick, Jordan Caron, Tommy Cross

To Boston - Ruutu, Gleason

You could look at it like a 1st and Cross for Ruutu, and Caron for Gleason. I think JR would be ok with that return.

BTW, Cross is team captain for Boston Collge who is paired with Brian Dumoulin. He's a strong physical, stay-at-home dman.

Hmmm. I'd have to say that seems a little lean coming back.

Boston's pick will likely be more of a second rounder. Did Caron get caught in a numbers game up there in Boston this year? Seems like he was really coming on last year. I don't know much about Cross, but will he turn pro next year? I'm not sure what he adds over some of our other D-prospects.

I'd say their 1st, Caron, Cross, and a second would be better, but Boston doesn't have a second rounder this year. Not that I'm advocating the trade in any way.

Hmmm. I'd have to say that seems a little lean coming back.

Boston's pick will likely be more of a second rounder. Did Caron get caught in a numbers game up there in Boston this year? Seems like he was really coming on last year. I don't know much about Cross, but will he turn pro next year? I'm not sure what he adds over some of our other D-prospects.

I'd say their 1st, Caron, Cross, and a second would be better, but Boston doesn't have a second rounder this year. Not that I'm advocating the trade in any way.

Well, we would probably get more if we dealt them separately; but yes, it seems like a little something should be added on their end.

I like Cross. Big, physical dman that is strong on his skates, has some speed, as well. He kind of reminds me of Seidenberg. And yes, I think Caron is being pushed back by the numbers game - pretty sure when he plays with Boston he's on the 4th line.

Note there are 9 teams interested in Ruutu. That is where the return would come from.

That was pretty funny to see. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Jack Johnson ends up back here in Raleigh :lol:

Don't worry, I don't for a minute think its a possible but that would be some serious karma.

This is a more full quote of what JR said to the N & O today:

Rutherford: N&OBlog 1/24/12

“Despite all the talk that people stir up, I'm approaching it at this stage as being more interested in hockey trades and not deadline trades or trading UFAs," Rutherford said. "If something makes sense for our organization and from a financial point of view, if it seems like something we should do, I'll do it. But I'm not out there making all the calls looking to make trades."

The Canes on Friday traded veteran forward Alexei Ponikarovsky -- also due to be a UFA at season's end -- to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick and defensive prospect Joe Sova. But Rutherford did not rule out a trade that could bring in a veteran player -- such as Allen last season -- who has years remaining on his contract.

"If we were to trade a UFA for a veteran player, we would want control of him next year or the next few years," he said."Usually, we have looked to bring in younger players, but a hockey deal where a veteran player is under contract also is a possibility."

So what do we make of that ? Does that mean we are not looking to trade all our UFA's ?

Edited by UNCCaniac8

This is a more full quote of what JR said to the N & O today:

Rutherford: N&OBlog 1/24/12

“Despite all the talk that people stir up, I'm approaching it at this stage as being more interested in hockey trades and not deadline trades or trading UFAs," Rutherford said. "If something makes sense for our organization and from a financial point of view, if it seems like something we should do, I'll do it. But I'm not out there making all the calls looking to make trades."

The Canes on Friday traded veteran forward Alexei Ponikarovsky -- also due to be a UFA at season's end -- to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick and defensive prospect Joe Sova. But Rutherford did not rule out a trade that could bring in a veteran player -- such as Allen last season -- who has years remaining on his contract.

"If we were to trade a UFA for a veteran player, we would want control of him next year or the next few years," he said."Usually, we have looked to bring in younger players, but a hockey deal where a veteran player is under contract also is a possibility."

So what do we make of that ? Does that mean we are not looking to trade all our UFA's ?

I think that's GM speak for "If you want one of our players, it's going to cost you". Also the part about a veteran player just lets us know that JR is still trying to better the team by getting a roster player and not just picks and prospects. It's going to be difficult to land a top 6 forward right now, and that is our glaring need.

Yeah, I think JR is saying "I'll take your Bobby Ryan, and I'll consider giving something up for that. But I'm not looking to release our rentals yet". It also sends the message that "if you want our rentals now, you're going to have to come with something. I'd just as soon trade them at the deadline. If you don't pay I'll just hold them. Don't test me, I'll do it. If you think I'm bluffing see Ray Whitney. "

I do think that a "hockey trade" for a top 6 forward is possible. Playoff teams are usually looking for rentals. They are not necessarily looking to pick up guys with lots of contract left. So Aneheim for instance, who is equally as out of the playoffs as us, must be looking to retool their team also. If they think moving Bobby Ryan would get them the pieces they need, they might do it, even to a non playoff team. Bobby Ryan will have two more years on a not terrible contract. He is not a rental.

But what would it take? More than we've offered so far most likely.

Edited by remkin

Yeah, I think JR is saying "I'll take your Bobby Ryan, and I'll consider giving something up for that. But I'm not looking to release our rentals yet". It also sends the message that "if you want our rentals now, you're going to have to come with something. I'd just as soon trade them at the deadline. If you don't pay I'll just hold them. Don't test me, I'll do it. If you think I'm bluffing see Ray Whitney. "

I do think that a "hockey trade" for a top 6 forward is possible. Playoff teams are usually looking for rentals. They are not necessarily looking to pick up guys with lots of contract left. So Aneheim for instance, who is equally as out of the playoffs as us, must be looking to retool their team also. If they think moving Bobby Ryan would get them the pieces they need, they might do it, even to a non playoff team. Bobby Ryan will have two more years on a not terrible contract. He is not a rental.

But what would it take? More than we've offered so far most likely.

The Ducks seem to be strong at forward, so I would think they need solid defensemen. So maybe lead with a couple of D-men and maybe an energy forward like LaRose. Their GM said he didn't want prospects and draft picks for Ryan.

Not nterested so much in particulaer names, but more of a team's overall process. Hos does a team such as the Wings manage its UFAs and continual to be legit playoff contenders year in and year-out

Why would anyone leave a team constantly in the cup hunt and if they did theres a UFA of equal talent ready to sign for the same money.

We don't quite have that kinda history here unless a player wants a project team.

From the 4th Period:

The Philadelphia Flyers could be looking to acquire Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Tim Gleason to help the team's blueline, the Ottawa Sun reports. The Hurricanes are likely to make moves as the trade deadline approaches and they currently have three pending unrestricted free agents on defense.

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is looking to get top prospects or two first-round draft picks in exchange for Gleason, as well as fellow defensemen Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek and forward Tuomo Ruutu. The Flyers could also go shopping in Montreal, where the Canadiens could unload blueliner Hal Gill before the deadline. However, the Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins are reportedly eyeing the veteran defenseman as Gill could be tempted to return to the Pens, who never wanted to lose him to free agency following their 2009 Stanley Cup Championship.

With Ryan Suter being pulled off the market in Nashville, I would guess that helps drive up the price of our defensemen available. Philly might not want to give up a 1st round pick and a prospect and/or player for Gleason but they might for Gleason and either Allen or Spacek.

It's being reported that Jeff Carter is available. The Canes' could definitely use a right handed sniper.

Carter has 10 years left on his ridiculous contract with a 5-mil per year cap hit. Don't think JR would be too interested.

From the 4th Period:

With Ryan Suter being pulled off the market in Nashville, I would guess that helps drive up the price of our defensemen available. Philly might not want to give up a 1st round pick and a prospect and/or player for Gleason but they might for Gleason and either Allen or Spacek.

Philly is going to want someone to help them on the PP...Gleason along with McBain/Joslin for JVR? We have stolen from Philly before when they were desperate for defensive help.

Philly is pretty deep up front, but trading their 22 y/o #2 overall pick? Hard to imagine.

Then again, if we could get him and Bobby Ryan, we'd have 2 relatively young #2 picks.

Yeah, right. :beach:

Just saw Darren Dreger on NHL Network. He says Ruutu is definitely seeing interest and that he is unlikely to be re-signed by the Hurricanes at the end of the season due to money. Don't know how much this is true.

From the 4th Period:

Wow. That would be a heck of a deal. A team would get our top D-pair that have a history of playing well together. I would think we would need to get a defense-man back in the deal. I know this is just speculation for discussion purpose but if I'm Philly I sure would take a good look at an offer like that.

IMO Spacek won't be traded. Spacek and Muller have a history and seem to like each other. I think Muller uses him as a mentor and settling influence for the young D. Then again he isn't getting any younger and if we could get value for him I suspect we would have a good shot at re-signing him in the off season.

In 2004 at this time, the talk was about labor armageddon. A lock out was all but assured.

This time, no so much. There is fear (Fehr?), but not much.

But JR's posturing has me worried and wondering if he has a different feeling about the upcoming CBA, and that this is affecting his hard line negotiations.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

IMO Spacek won't be traded. Spacek and Muller have a history and seem to like each other. I think Muller uses him as a mentor and settling influence for the young D. Then again he isn't getting any younger and if we could get value for him I suspect we would have a good shot at re-signing him in the off season.

Maybe Spacek might want a shot at a Cup?

Maybe Spacek might want a shot at a Cup?

That is a good possibility. I guess I'm just thinking out loud. The truth is as has been stated before that all our UFA's are available at the right return and recent JR statements make me believe our contract players too.