The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeromeo87

2012 NHL Trade Deadline

I have a feeling JR and Muller have a plan and its going to involve a little house cleaning. If Muller wants to put his own stamp on this team as he was promised he could, he's going to want certain guys gone and others brought in better suited to his system. The past few weeks have been all about finding out who will fit and who won't imo. Time to prepare for the fire sale.

From Michael Smith:

MSmithCanes Michael Smith Jim Rutherford said Brian Boucher (lower-body) will "probably start skating right after the break."

MSmithCanes Michael Smith Rutherford: "There are rumors about who’s being traded and who’s going where, but at this point, I haven’t said that I’m trading anybody.”

Hmmm, driving up the prices through the media are we?

Michael Smith... Jim Rutherford said Brian Boucher (lower-body) will "probably start skating right after the break."

Good. I'm sure Peters is almost worn out from opening that little door.

Edited by super_dave_1

More speculation on our asking price for our D corp. from the Ottawa Sun

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has been silent on the trade front. That’s partially because Carolina has played better of late, but it also has something to do with his outrageous asking prices for players. The price will come down before the deadline

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has been silent on the trade front. That’s partially because Carolina has played better of late, but it also has something to do with his outrageous asking prices for players.

How do they know the asking price?

How do they know the asking price?

TSA posted a item from the fourth period a couple of posts ago and the same was what was said in the Ottawa Sun:

League sources said the Hurricanes are asking for either two No. 1 picks or an ‘A’ prospect and a No. 1 pick in exchange for one of pending UFA Ds Tim Gleason, Bryan Allen or Jaroslav Spacek.

True or untrue who knows. You have to hope that some of the bloggers and reporters have reliable sources. Really the only thing that will really matter is a phone conversation between two GMs

x

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has been silent on the trade front. That’s partially because Carolina has played better of late, but it also has something to do with his outrageous asking prices for players. The price will come down before the deadline

I don't know about how accurate it is, but when you got 12-14 teams scouting your team I am guessing JR gets to set the bar high.

TSA posted a item from the fourth period a couple of posts ago and the same was what was said in the Ottawa Sun:

League sources said the Hurricanes are asking for either two No. 1 picks or an ‘A’ prospect and a No. 1 pick in exchange for one of pending UFA Ds Tim Gleason, Bryan Allen or Jaroslav Spacek.

True or untrue who knows. You have to hope that some of the bloggers and reporters have reliable sources. Really the only thing that will really matter is a phone conversation between two GMs

x

When I read that I had to think it was a mistake. Two number ones for one of those guys? Who even has two number one's? You mean this year's and next year's, for a rental? Has anyone every paid that for a rental?

When I read that I had to think it was a mistake. Two number ones for one of those guys? Who even has two number one's? You mean this year's and next year's, for a rental? Has anyone every paid that for a rental?

Yeah, I was thinking that too. 2 first rounders? What?

It is outrageous for a rental. But maybe they are mixing stuff up and including the cost of someone like Joni, with contract left. Remember, this is all hearsay and whispers.

Another thing, if you are going to deal with NYR or BOS, that first rounder is likely to be bottom 5, possibly both this and next year. We're not talking dealing for CBJ's first rounder, ya know?

Yeah, I was thinking that too. 2 first rounders? What?

It is outrageous for a rental. But maybe they are mixing stuff up and including the cost of someone like Joni, with contract left. Remember, this is all hearsay and whispers.

Another thing, if you are going to deal with NYR or BOS, that first rounder is likely to be bottom 5, possibly both this and next year. We're not talking dealing for CBJ's first rounder, ya know?

You can add me to the list of those who had to smile when I read this. I think I said "What" out loud when I read it. It sure does make the discussion interesting and sends a signal that we want a good return for a player like Gleason. Two fist rounders might be a little ambitious.

I have a feeling JR and Muller have a plan and its going to involve a little house cleaning. If Muller wants to put his own stamp on this team as he was promised he could, he's going to want certain guys gone and others brought in better suited to his system. The past few weeks have been all about finding out who will fit and who won't imo. Time to prepare for the fire sale.

I agree and I have a feeling it will not only be free agents that will be leaving at the deadline. This team will have a very different look as of February 28th 2012.

On Blue Breakfast on TSN Radio 1050 Darren Dreger said he expects trade talk to start slow while teams figure out if they will be buyers or sellers heading up to the trade deadline. One name Dreger said that could be moved as early as next week is Carolina Hurricanes' forward Tuomo Ruutu.

On Blue Breakfast on TSN Radio 1050 Darren Dreger said he expects trade talk to start slow while teams figure out if they will be buyers or sellers heading up to the trade deadline. One name Dreger said that could be moved as early as next week is Carolina Hurricanes' forward Tuomo Ruutu.

I hope not. We're already short in the top 6. Doesn't make sense to trade him. But if JR doesn't think he can re-sign him, I guess we need to get something for him.

I think JR learned quite a bit from the 09-10 season where he was basically giving away players. I mean i know we were in bad shape, but Matt Cullen for a 2nd rounder was simply inexcusable.

He learned to play hardball and hold out for the perfect deal on Whitney and he got got a first rou....wait a minute!

Probably needs to be somewhere in between. This year he'll get it just right.

He had a deal for Whitney and Whitney rejected. Without the NTC Whitney wouldnt have even been in Carolina to scrutinize the lack of a deal can we get over it please?

What's even funnier about continuing to bring up the Whitney deal is the fact that management gave him the NTC for signing for a home town discount to begin with. If you want to blame somebody.....

And as far as Ruutu goes, and as a reminder, it was Ruutu and his agent who played hardball with his contract negotiations back in the summer of 2009. In case anyone has forgotten, he was scheduled to go to arbitration just prior to signing.

If JR knows he won't be able to meet the asking or market price (for whatever reason) and expects Ruutu's agent won't negotiate below the above, he's gone.

We all like Ruutu, and the game he brings, but we are in Carolina. Personally, I expect more of the same from JR - trying to plug holes with 2 players, rather than paying the market price for an asset we can ill afford to lose to begin with.

Maybe it's being pessimistic, but I just don't see the Canes getting a lot better next year, when we continue to add holes to an already holey lineup, particularly in the top-6.

I continue to hope he can make a couple of significant "hockey trades" for Ruutu and Gleason. Those along the lines of a guy like Voracek or Coutourier, young proven NHL talent. Not that I am advocating those particular players, but we need skill up front now. I don't think picks and prospects help us "now".

I have accepted the fact that our UFS's will be leaving us-I hope we get something good in return-I don't believe you can just throw money at it ie-Buffalo...I think JR put 1 of the biggest pieces in place about 2 months ago-Capt Kirk :welcome: We are getting a look at the talent we have in the queen city and so far it looks pretty good.Skinner and Faulk were both very pleasant surprises.I'm going to sit back and watch :popcorn: and enjoy the show for the rest of the season and just see how it all plays out.Do your thing JR just do it well!

After watching "Mircle" yesterday I still believe you can make a team out of kids/players who love the game...If they believe they can win they can-Those kids were paid 0.00.

Carry on Kirk

Edited by Pkling40

Well I don't know that Whitney killed every deal. He killed at least one, but we got zipola in a year when a 5th round pick might have been better than nothing. Maybe Whitney made every deal impossible and just didn't feel like playing in the playoffs, I don't know.

I have accepted the fact that our UFS's will be leaving us-I hope we get something good in return-I don't believe you can just throw money at it ie-Buffalo...I think JR put 1 of the biggest pieces in place about 2 months ago-Capt Kirk :welcome: We are getting a look at the talent we have in the queen city and so far it looks pretty good.Skinner and Faulk were both very pleasant surprises.I'm going to sit back and watch :popcorn: and enjoy the show for the rest of the season and just see how it all plays out.Do your thing JR just do it well!

After watching "Mircle" yesterday I still believe you can make a team out of kids/players who love the game...If they believe they can win they can-Those kids were paid 0.00.

Carry on Kirk

You're an optimist. I'm jealous. The players' mentality and goals have changed a lot from 1980. I hope you're right about Capt Kirk. I think he had them playing well going into the ASG break, although nobody can score! Let's see what happens post-ASG. I just don't want Capt Kirk to go after people with a Montreal connection like Maurice went after guys with a Toronto connection.

The more i think, the more i'd love to have Getzlaf on this team, even if it means a 1st. Think how strong we'd be up the middle if we had Staal/Getzlaf/Sutter/Brent. If we gave up our 1st and Ruutu (maybe/probably a prospect), our lines would look

Jokinen/Staal/Dalpe

Skinner/Getzlaf/Tlusty

Larose/Sutter/Nodl

Stewart/Brent/Dwyer

It may work for both teams because if i'm not mistaken, Ruutu could team up with his brother again which may intrigue him to stay, and he plays a Anahiem style of hockey. Plus i'm sure Anahiem would be intrigued to potentially have two top 5 picks in the draft that's suppose to be top heavy.

And for carolina, they'd have a set center roster since the 08-09 season. Getzlaf only makes 5.5 a year which isn't bad for a guy his size and caliber. Plus it would put carolina in a great position to add a top free agent winger and have a true top 6. Or the thought of a prospect developing on a line with Getzlaf and Skinner wouldn't be a bad start

The more i think, the more i'd love to have Getzlaf on this team, even if it means a 1st. Think how strong we'd be up the middle if we had Staal/Getzlaf/Sutter/Brent. If we gave up our 1st and Ruutu (maybe/probably a prospect), our lines would look

Jokinen/Staal/Dalpe

Skinner/Getzlaf/Tlusty

Larose/Sutter/Nodl

Stewart/Brent/Dwyer

It may work for both teams because if i'm not mistaken, Ruutu could team up with his brother again which may intrigue him to stay, and he plays a Anahiem style of hockey. Plus i'm sure Anahiem would be intrigued to potentially have two top 5 picks in the draft that's suppose to be top heavy.

And for carolina, they'd have a set center roster since the 08-09 season. Getzlaf only makes 5.5 a year which isn't bad for a guy his size and caliber. Plus it would put carolina in a great position to add a top free agent winger and have a true top 6. Or the thought of a prospect developing on a line with Getzlaf and Skinner wouldn't be a bad start

Think about how deep we already are at center...Staal, Skinner, Sutter, Nash, and Rask. I know he's not 6'3 215 but Jeff Skinner can and likely will play the center position for the rest of his career. He gets more space and will be able to be an even more dynamic and explosive player than we have already seen. The team needs a top 6 winger...JVR from Philly would be a good fit, I'd give up prescious body parts for Scott Hartnell or Kyle Okposo, and of course Bobby Ryan.