The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kingofminneapolis

Who hates ESPN?

Melrose is good i like him but i hate when the girl does hockey highlights "now 2 nil in this match of the canes vs thrashers" blah blah ITS HOCKEY NOT SOCCER n she doesnt know what she's talking about. i dont really like Hradek much either

InsideCarolina calls it DSPN, so you can tell what they think about it. I don't have any problem with them, though.

ESPN typically only dwells on the bad moments of the NHL. They seem to take every chance to slander and put it down. I wished Melrose and Thorne could get out of ESPN and over to Vs.

The only shows I watch on ESPN, other than actual games, are PTI and Baseball Tonight. The rest of it is worthless. SportsCenter is shell of itself. Even ESPN Classic, which I used to check out all the time, has become a waste of time. Its nothing but boxing, boxing, and more boxing. They treat it like some special event when they show an actual classic game.

I only check the ticker tape for scores. I hate waiting forever for my 20 sec of NHL highlights.

I only check the ticker tape for scores. I hate waiting forever for my 20 sec of NHL highlights.

Well, I am a sports fanatic, while I dislike the fact that they don't carry hockey, I still watch ESPN to keep up with other sports happenings. I love watching PTI, and I like Jim Rome because he doesn't tiptoe around things, he gets right to the point. I have no problem with them, and other than the fact that they don't cover hockey, there are really no major gripes from my end. Let's face it, hockey isn't very popular right now. Why would they show a bunch of highlights from a sport that is barely on TV? While I hate to say this, not showing hockey is probably one of the smartest things ESPN does. In a few years, once the NHL has gained some momentum after the lockout, maybe the NHL will be able to sign a contract to get more games on TV, but right now, that is just not an option.

Anyone else notice how ESPN always times the hockey scores on the ticker so they come right at a commercial break? It annoys the hell out of me.

Maybe America wouldn't hate hockey so much if their leading sports network didn't focus only on the bad stuff.

The only shows I watch on ESPN, other than actual games, are PTI and Baseball Tonight. The rest of it is worthless. SportsCenter is shell of itself. Even ESPN Classic, which I used to check out all the time, has become a waste of time. Its nothing but boxing, boxing, and more boxing. They treat it like some special event when they show an actual classic game.

I agree, ESPN is only for Monday Night football and some baseball.

Espnews is okay if you dont feel like going online to catch the continuous scores.

there are 18 min of baseball highlights 8 of basketball and 4 of hockey. (I might be exaggerating but you all get the point LOL)

Espnews is okay if you dont feel like going online to catch the continuous scores.

there are 18 min of baseball highlights 8 of basketball and 4 of hockey. (I might be exaggerating but you all get the point LOL)

4 minutes may be a bit of a stretch :huh:

4 minutes may be a bit of a stretch :huh:

Ok, I have a thought on this but you're not gonna like it....lol.....ok,ok here it goes. ESPN is based in Bristol,CT. ESPN was really ticked when the whalers left....connection, who knows but I was able to once again throw a whaler reference in there...lol. Honestly though, ESPN has lost its edge it seems. Poker, spelling bees and whatever else they may show doesn't cut it for me.

Ok, I have a thought on this but you're not gonna like it....lol.....ok,ok here it goes. ESPN is based in Bristol,CT. ESPN was really ticked when the whalers left....connection, who knows but I was able to once again to throw a whaler reference in there...lol. Honestly though, ESPN has lost its edge it seems. Poker, spelling bees and whatever else they may show doesn't cut it for me.

Wasn't Chris Berman the Whalers/NHL/ESPN connection? I remember seeing him here for the Cup finals last season, looks like he's still following the team.

Ok, I have a thought on this but you're not gonna like it....lol.....ok,ok here it goes. ESPN is based in Bristol,CT. ESPN was really ticked when the whalers left....connection, who knows but I was able to once again to throw a whaler reference in there...lol. Honestly though, ESPN has lost its edge it seems. Poker, spelling bees and whatever else they may show doesn't cut it for me.

Wasn't Chris Berman the Whalers/NHL/ESPN connection? I remember seeing him here for the Cup finals last season, looks like he's still following the team.

poker, spelling bee, bowling, dominoes, cup stacking, cheerleading, etc.. why do they show those kinds of "sports" instead of hockey, lacrosse, rugby, and whatever kinds of sports no one knows about because no one sees them. even though one of my old friends from 4th grade was in the spelling bee once

yeah Chris is a die hard whaler fan to this day. On many occasions he will slip a mention or a picture of the whale logo in his broadcast. he was quite upset when they left town. I'm not sure how he feels about the canes but if he was in Raliegh that would answer it, it would also surprise me a little.

You just simply cannot rely on ESPN for any good hockey talk. Thats why Im so thankful I live so close to Canada, because at least I cant watch Hockey Night in Canada, and Coaches Corner. :P

But I'll be watching alot of ESPN on Saturday because of the NFL draft, and I want to see who the Bills pick. lol

Even though they do show 18 minutes of baseballe and 8 of basketball they have to.. because it's what appeals to the majority of the people that watch ESPN. It's like TSN in Canada, they show about 20 minutes of NHL highlights and about 5 minutes or so of every other sport and then another 20 minutes of hockey, because in Canada, as everyone knows, eeeveryone watches hockey. Just like how it seems eeeeeveryone in the US watches football or basketball or whatever.

It is frustrating though trying to get highlights from past games without having to wait fooorever. I usually don't ever use ESPN, unless it's SportsCentre during the day when I'm totally bored and have nothing better to do than wait an hour to get some bit of information.

yeah Chris is a die hard whaler fan to this day. On many occasions he will slip a mention or a picture of the whale logo in his broadcast. he was quite upset when they left town. I'm not sure how he feels about the canes but if he was in Raliegh that would answer it, it would also surprise me a little.
Yes, Chris was at Game 5, I believe, of the finals...(though it may have been Game 1 or 2). He even recorded a video clip of him saying "Let's gooooo Canes" that was added to the Canesvision video of the famous and locals singing the Canes fight song during the second period intermission. FW will appreciate, though, that he was wearing a Whalers hat during his attendance at the finals. (Also, regarding his Raleigh ties, Chris is a perennial player and one of the biggest fan favorites at the annual Triangle "Jimmy V" celebrity charity golf tournament.)

As for the thread, I long for the day when there is some decent competition to ESPN. They have certainly lost their way.

EDIT: I was reminded by Mrs. Storm that, instead of "Let's go Canes," Berman actually said his catch-phrase "they...could...go...all...the...waaayyyyyyy..." which was added at the end of the Let's Go Canes jumbotron clip.

You just simply cannot rely on ESPN for any good hockey talk. Thats why Im so thankful I live so close to Canada, because at least I cant watch Hockey Night in Canada, and Coaches Corner. :P

But I'll be watching alot of ESPN on Saturday because of the NFL draft, and I want to see who the Bills pick. lol

Looks like the Bills are going to pick a Linebacker from OLE-Miss,,,,according to the idiots at ESPN,,lol

EDIT: I was reminded by Mrs. Storm that, instead of "Let's go Canes," Berman actually said his catch-phrase "they...could...go...all...the...waaayyyyyyy..." which was added at the end of the Let's Go Canes jumbotron clip.

Now that I remember, she has a good memory.

*sigh* its gonna be a long summer :(