The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MeleeRayRay

Our Best Player; First Half

Our Best Player; First Half  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been our best player so far in the first half?

• Brandon Sutter
    • Cam Ward
    • Eric Staal
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Joni Pitkanen
    • Justin Faulk
    • Jamie McBain
    • Bryan Allen
    • Chad LaRose
    • Jussi Jokinen
    • Tuomo Ruutu
    • Jay Harrison
    • Other - Please Specify

Hey guys I got this idea from another board. Was just curious about the general consensus here as to who has been our best player during the first half so far.

For me it has been very close between either Jeff Skinner or Brandon Sutter. Even with Jeff Skinner being out. Brandon Sutter who is often overlooked or underrated, i see him doing the small things all the time

Edited by MeleeRayRay

It's a no brainer...Staal. He's the captain, leads the team in points, and makes the most money.

If not Staal, then Ward. He sees an onslaught every night behind a swiss cheese defense. Makes three OMG saves for every Dairy Queen softie that he serves up. That, and he's an "elite goalie" and makes a lot of money.

Seriously, Skinner, even with the injury.

Edited by super_dave_1

I vote Sutter. Complete game, game-in/game-out. Saw his game last Thursday, and it if wasn't for Staal's last 10 minutes, he would have shined brightest. He has a way of pickpocketing guys defensively that is just sick. And he has the offensive side.

Oh, and he single-handedly is responsible for a few of our WINs this season with his shorthanded play.

I vote Sutter. Complete game, game-in/game-out. Saw his game last Thursday, and it if wasn't for Staal's last 10 minutes, he would have shined brightest. He has a way of pickpocketing guys defensively that is just sick. And he has the offensive side.

Oh, and he single-handedly is responsible for a few of our WINs this season with his shorthanded play.

I agree, it's amazing how good of a hockey player he is.

Seriously, Skinner, even with the injury.

Yeah I ended up voting Skinner even with the injury. He has 1 less point than staal and staal has played about 10 more games than him.

Skins has been great too.

One thing I want to say about Skinner though, is I hope he learns from this. Goons will be out for him. But aside from that, he's going to have to play a bit more "head's up" hockey to avoid some problems. Don't get me wrong, I love his aggressive style. But there will be times he's going to have to dial it back in the right place.

Sutter learned. I still get sick every time I even think of the time Weight took him out on that break away, and he ended up with that horrible concussion.

Sutter has been the Canes most consistent player all season. Usually plays against the other team's best; kills penalties; 3 short handed goals; his face-off percentage has been a little off lately. Ward, for me, is #2.

Which joker voted for LaRose?

I'm going with Sutter and I would even if Skinner had played every game this year. Sutter is great in every facet of the game. He is over 50% on faceoffs this year. He is great on the PK. He potentially has the best shot on the entire roster. I really want to see him get some time on the PP. Our biggest issues on the PP are: 1) Poor zone entry and 2) No finishers. Sutter would help out with both of these issues. He is our fastest skater and best shooter. How does he not get PP time with that skillset?

Skinner is obviously a great player on his own no matter who he plays with. He is still extremely young and has a lot of ways to improve. For starters, I'd like to see him use his teammates more. A lot of the big hits he takes happen because he is trying to beat the entirety of the other team by himself. He skates into high traffic areas when he has multiple teammates wide open for a pass. He also has a habit of just standing around in his own zone, but we don't really need him to be a great defensive player.

Edited by Justin8649

Even though we had him for half of the first half of the season i really like Andreas Nodl. he came in every game playing as hard as he can he might not score as much but its the little things great forechecking, solid defense, and stays out of the box which is huge.

I, too, think it's Sutter; however, I think Allen has to be in the argument. I swear he's blocked as many pucks as Cam has stopped. We haven't had a willing shot blocker like Allen since Wesley, and I hope Allen is with us again next year and years to come.

Jay Harrison is my 1A guy behind Sutter. Great story. Turning into a great Cane. It's not all about the points. Not that Jay has been any slouch in that category.

Recently saw TSN.ca's power rankings per position. In their opinion Jay Harrison is the 22nd best overall defensemen in the league statistically.

In other news our power rankings for other positions doesn't look to hot.