The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

VA Tech shooting

My faith in humanity is in the negatives right now.

Westboro Baptist Church is planning on protesting at the funerals for the VT students, because "God sent a madman to kill your children". Why? Because of the Iraq War.

Jack Thompson is blaming video games for the shooting, claiming the shooter was under the influence of video games. Makes it sound like some kinda drug <_<

Just sickening :angry:

I love how we can blame every action on anything we want, and never take responsibility for what's been done.

The guy was a nutjob. There it is. Video games or no video games, and the Iraq War excuse is just asinine. Every one of those protesters needs to be arrested and jailed overnight, because that is as low as you can get.

I love how we can blame every action on anything we want, and never take responsibility for what's been done.

The guy was a nutjob. There it is. Video games or no video games, and the Iraq War excuse is just asinine. Every one of those protesters needs to be arrested and jailed overnight, because that is as low as you can get.

Agreed. If i was at a funeral for one of MY family members and people were outside protesting, they would throw ME in jail. Probably for assault. :angry:

Westboro Baptist Church is planning on protesting at the funerals for the VT students, because "God sent a madman to kill your children". Why? Because of the Iraq War.

Jack Thompson is blaming video games for the shooting, claiming the shooter was under the influence of video games. Makes it sound like some kinda drug <_<

Jack Thompson is a pansy. Sorry it was just nicer then what I wanted to say :rolleyes: Pretty sad what happened that guy was going through tough times but you don't take your problems out on strangers! As FightinMad said, VT handled the shooting very poorly. I saw on CBS world news the president of VT said: "Well we just has two shootings at the time and we didn't know what the shooter looked like so thats why we didn't make a lockdown" uhh right.... <_<

For those in college, you have probably seen the "We are all hokies" pictures to display on your facebook and myspace.. But seeing as how I am not in college yet.... I made this one.. Please feel free to display this.. I will.

th_hurricanesn5727139_34063783_1684.jpg

How does a resident alien get two guns is my question? Are the guns much more lax down in Virginia? I'm not blaming guns for this I'm just curious.

The pistol permit in NY requries at least 6 months before you can actually get your hands on one.

The shooter left a note saying "you guys made me do this" What garbage. You isolated yourself and that the reason you had no friends and it was YOU who never gave anybody a chance to like you.

How does a resident alien get two guns is my question? Are the guns much more lax down in Virginia? I'm not blaming guns for this I'm just curious.

Sadly he was a legal permanent person. He had a valid VA driver's license and paid with a check with his home address on it. Unfortunatley he bought the gun legally. I was hoping he got it illegally but oh well.....

I was wondering when those nuts from Westboro were going to protest - I knew it was going to happen. They're not Christians, they're a hate group. I sincerely hope no other people are dumb enough to join that organization so that one day we won't have any more protests at the funerals of fallen soldiers, or in this case, students.

As FightinMad said, VT handled the shooting very poorly. I saw on CBS world news the president of VT said: "Well we just has two shootings at the time and we didn't know what the shooter looked like so thats why we didn't make a lockdown" uhh right.... <_<
It's easy to judge in hindsight because we know what happened next. I choose to cut the VT officials and police a little slack until all the facts are known that they had available. Two killings in a dorm full of LOTS of other people (i.e., potential victims) made it easy for cops to think the killer fled the scene to flee justice as is what normally happens in those types of incidents. "If he wanted to go on a rampage, he'd have done it there in that dorm" isn't poor thinking (without the benefit of our perfect hindsight, of course). Plus Virginia Tech's population and area is about the size of Apex. Can you imagine "locking down" a town the size of Apex after finding what looked like a "typical" domestic violence-type double-murder? No easy decision/task. I'm sure those officials are doing enough grief-ridden second guessing of themselves over this. I think the VT student population giving the VT President a standing ovation at the convocation today was their recognition of how difficult the task faced was.

I agree. I don't know where these people think they get off using funerals as a platform to proclaim their seriously twisted views of Christianity and the world. My personal favorite line on their website is "God hates you." I don't know what Bible they read, but it can't be the one I'm familiar with. At any rate, if they actually go through with it, there's going to be more chaos on that campus before all this is over.

As for not clearing the campus earlier, they thought the guy shot the girl and the RA at AJ and made tracks. You can't blame them for handling it the way they did simply because no one expected anything else to happen. I mean seriously, how many people decide to kill as many random people as they can after a domestic dispute?

As for not clearing the campus earlier, they thought the guy shot the girl and the RA at AJ and made tracks. You can't blame them for handling it the way they did simply because no one expected anything else to happen. I mean seriously, how many people decide to kill as many random people as they can after a domestic dispute?

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone at VT.

Now for my opinion (and you know what they say about them.....just like a**holes, everyone has one). I think there will be plenty of lawsuits for this. The gunman was still on the loose so the campus should have been put on lockdown. I don't care if you THINK he is off campus, those students should have been protected with every means possible......even if it means making a few students mad cause their day was thrown off.

Now to address the quote.....

Univesity of Texas at Austin

Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941

yeah, there's no way to have known after the first shooting that the rest of it was yet to come. I bet if it were just an isolated incident and they locked down the school anyway, people would be complaining that a lockdown was not necessary. It's just a terrible situation and there is no need to assign blame to anyone but the shooter. That's not to say that they shouldn't re-examine their safety protocol. But I really hope nobody has to lose their job over something they really couldn't have envisioned.

This might just be me, but it sounds like the killer went after his girlfriend at first. The RA got in the way, or tried to stop him, so he was killed.

Given that there was a decent time period before the first killings and the mass attack, I'm thinking the killer realized he had just killed 2 people. Knowing this, and what that entails, he snapped. Took out as many people as he could.

the monster that did this was absolutley sick!!!! i dont understand why he didnt just shoot himself and save the 32 people's lives. everytime i think about this, i get sick. all i can do is pray for the innocent victims and their families.

Well, the media gave the shooter what he wanted: the spotlight. There really needs to be some serious discussion about the role the media plays in these types of things and the social responsibilities they seem to throw out the window in search of the almighty dollar. they ask why there are copycats sprouting up everytime something like this happens, then they cut to yet another video of this kid rambling. I realize that them news corporations are there to provide us with the "news", but all this other stuff that comes days after the event is nothing but an effort to tell a compelling story rather than just the story. And what for? The ratings. I know this all sounds pretty cynical, and maybe it is, but to me it just doesn't smell right to me. I propose a new policy: any mass murder should have his name announced with a picture and that's it! It's been a couple of days and everyone knows the shooter, nobody knows the victims. that's sad. Am I just too cynical, or do I have a point?

I hope I get this right.... this morning I watched an interview in which information on the start of the investigation after the initial two shootings was detailed, and how that contributed to the direction the police and school officials took re their "take" on what was going on. An interview on-scene with a friend of the female victim indicated she'd been having boyfriend problems. Apparently she was credible enough that this comment turned their attention immediately to tracking down the boyfriend and interviewing him. The misdirection and the concentration of resources aimed at locating this guy and questioning him was the time it took for crazy boy to launch his second attack.

You can imagine their horror at the second wave of shootings - and that there was absolutely no indication or proof that there was any connection whatsoever. I have no problem with what happened withregard to police or school officials. No one could have guessed what all this was about. The enrollment is 26,000 - there was no initial proof that it was a student vs an outsider. We take so much of our freedom for granted, and until something like this comes along, we are never reminded that our freedom can have consequences. We would never sanction living in a police state. And so incidences like this can happen. The shooter was seriously mentally ill, and apparently completely dedicated to his plan of action. I think it would have taken a series of extraordinary circumstances to have foiled his efforts; he had the element of surprise on his hands. Remember the crazy driver in The Pit at Chapel Hill ? Anyway anyone could have foreseen his insanity and blocked his actions?

I am glad that everyone is getting to see the VT campus and people for what they really are. Despite the tragedy, people are getting a chance to see Tech as something other than a football or basketball school, and the people there who so dearly love their school are coming closer. Something tremendously good will come of this tragedy. It does have the potential to make everyone stronger.