The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

VA Tech shooting

Okay, I think I made my point there. These are 3 cases where you can find that the gunmen started with a "domestic killing". As a mom, you better darn well believe that if one of my children was there that I would have ANYONES behind that new about this but didn't do anything to protect them or the rest of the students! Protecting them is not letting the matter slide because it is "domestic" in nature. The gunman was loose and nobody truely knew where he was.

I'm sure that with the convenience of hindsight a bunch of people would make a lot of different decisions if it were to happen today. There are a million and one "ifs" and "could have's" out there and I am sure there are more to come as the investigation goes on. And yes, anything can happen, just like a campus massacre "could" start with a domestic killing whether it happend before or not. Those three cases might prove a single point but what do those totally different and unrelated instances, over a 40 year span, really have to do with what happend at VT?

There are 4,216 colleges and universities nation wide with each campus and local police probably having their own Standard Response Procedures. During the same 40 years there have been over 500,000 domestic killings in the US with over 22,000 of them committed by the same age group of Cho Seung-Hui, not to mention hundreds of thousands of instances where murders were attempted or resulted "only" in various levels of injuries - but none of those nut-jobs went on an extensive killing spree afterwards.

Well, the media gave the shooter what he wanted: the spotlight. There really needs to be some serious discussion about the role the media plays in these types of things and the social responsibilities they seem to throw out the window in search of the almighty dollar. they ask why there are copycats sprouting up everytime something like this happens, then they cut to yet another video of this kid rambling. I realize that them news corporations are there to provide us with the "news", but all this other stuff that comes days after the event is nothing but an effort to tell a compelling story rather than just the story. And what for? The ratings. I know this all sounds pretty cynical, and maybe it is, but to me it just doesn't smell right to me. I propose a new policy: any mass murder should have his name announced with a picture and that's it! It's been a couple of days and everyone knows the shooter, nobody knows the victims. that's sad. Am I just too cynical, or do I have a point?

I agree 120% with your post. I was amazed at what WRAL (A North Carolina News Station) was saying last night: "Do the students feel like not having so much media?" Well something about like that. Umm no WRAL they don't feel like that they love it even with 33 deaths :angry: . NO DUH they don't like that much media :rolleyes:. I'm amazed at the media.... at the same time ashamed at what our great nation does within the media.

I hope I get this right.... this morning I watched an interview in which information on the start of the investigation after the initial two shootings was detailed, and how that contributed to the direction the police and school officials took re their "take" on what was going on. An interview on-scene with a friend of the female victim indicated she'd been having boyfriend problems. Apparently she was credible enough that this comment turned their attention immediately to tracking down the boyfriend and interviewing him. The misdirection and the concentration of resources aimed at locating this guy and questioning him was the time it took for crazy boy to launch his second attack.

You can imagine their horror at the second wave of shootings - and that there was absolutely no indication or proof that there was any connection whatsoever. I have no problem with what happened withregard to police or school officials. No one could have guessed what all this was about. The enrollment is 26,000 - there was no initial proof that it was a student vs an outsider. We take so much of our freedom for granted, and until something like this comes along, we are never reminded that our freedom can have consequences. We would never sanction living in a police state. And so incidences like this can happen. The shooter was seriously mentally ill, and apparently completely dedicated to his plan of action. I think it would have taken a series of extraordinary circumstances to have foiled his efforts; he had the element of surprise on his hands. Remember the crazy driver in The Pit at Chapel Hill ? Anyway anyone could have foreseen his insanity and blocked his actions?

I am glad that everyone is getting to see the VT campus and people for what they really are. Despite the tragedy, people are getting a chance to see Tech as something other than a football or basketball school, and the people there who so dearly love their school are coming closer. Something tremendously good will come of this tragedy. It does have the potential to make everyone stronger.

Indeed and thats what we all should only think of him.

I agree 120% with your post. I was amazed at what WRAL (A North Carolina News Station) was saying last night: "Do the students feel like not having so much media?" Well something about like that. Umm no WRAL they don't feel like that they love it even with 33 deaths angry.gif . NO DUH they don't like that much media rolleyes.gif. I'm amazed at the media.... at the same time ashamed at what our great nation does within the media.

Sorry, as part of the media, I feel I have to speak up. The media can't just ignore an event, just because it's tragic. Especially not when the killer reached out the news outlets specifically.

It's the media's job to get the news out to the public, no matter what the news. And since the only source of information at the time was the students, they had to talk to the students about the event.

It sucks, yes, but if all the media had just decided not to report on the event, because it might bother the students, then they'd still be under fire, for not reporting on a big event like that.

My heart aches for the victims and their families right now. I can say that I know what they're going through but I'd be lying. I know what it feels like to lose a family member in a car crash at the age of 18 and a week before his graduation that happened back in 1986 (Tim Jones, Beddingfield High School, Wilson NC) but this is totally different because there are so many precious lives here. None of us can honestly know until we are faced with a disaster of this magnitude.

Sorry, as part of the media, I feel I have to speak up. The media can't just ignore an event, just because it's tragic. Especially not when the killer reached out the news outlets specifically.

It's the media's job to get the news out to the public, no matter what the news. And since the only source of information at the time was the students, they had to talk to the students about the event.

It sucks, yes, but if all the media had just decided not to report on the event, because it might bother the students, then they'd still be under fire, for not reporting on a big event like that.

They don't have to ignore the event. And interviewing the students who are willing to speak to the media is fine. But the fact that the shooter is getting more airtime than any other part of this event is irresponsible. The guy mentioned the Columbine kids in his own rants; that's a pretty good indication that the columbine shooting served as quite an "inspiration" to this guy. And now this young man, thanks to NBC, has become the new face of inspiration for other potential mass murderers. You can clearly see by the way he spoke in the videos (the overdramatic tone and apocalyptic script) that he was very much looking forward to becoming famous. it was like he was in his own little movie.

When a streaker runs out onto a sporting event, why do you think they never show them on TV anymore? Strange how when the person is just a drunken sports fan they make sure not to put his face on TV, but when it's a murderer.....well....

And let me just point out that I realize that you may not be the ultimate decision maker in news policy or anything, so don't take it personally.

They don't have to ignore the event. And interviewing the students who are willing to speak to the media is fine. But the fact that the shooter is getting more airtime than any other part of this event is irresponsible. The guy mentioned the Columbine kids in his own rants; that's a pretty good indication that the columbine shooting served as quite an "inspiration" to this guy. And now this young man, thanks to NBC, has become the new face of inspiration for other potential mass murderers. You can clearly see by the way he spoke in the videos (the overdramatic tone and apocalyptic script) that he was very much looking forward to becoming famous. it was like he was in his own little movie.

I'm sorry, but what? :huh: If the Columbine kids are what you want to become when you grow up, then that's the fault of mental instability, not because of the media.

The media isn't making this kid out to be a star. They're making him out to be a mass murderer. And the media has a duty to report on the event. They're reporting on every part, the murderer, the victims, and the heroes at the event.

And again, the guy reached out to the media. He sent photos, videos, etc to the MSNBC. Yeah, it's an obvious attempt to get some more coverage, but it's part of the case, and it had to be shown.

With 3 years left in university, I'm actually kind of scared now. Wondering if my University, and other Universities will change the way it handles procedures in the event that something tragic happens. Whats even worse is that I'm a psych. major, and the killer was mentally ill. He was in a psychiatric center at one point, and there are no laws to stop him from buying a gun, especially when he was deemed suicidal. The kid (I refuse to say his name) was clearly outcasted, hence, this killing was a rvenge unfortunately. He knew he'd kill himself anyways, so he figured he had nothing to lose in the process since he'd be dead before the police captured him. The Columbine incident clearly gave him an idea to do this, he probably wanted to make his name known as a masive killer (which he was successful at unfortunately) North America has to do something before it rubs off on some other kid who is mentally ill enough to pull off the same thing and leave fellow citizens in shock. Reading about how close some of these victims were to graduate, and all the sacrifices their parents made for them in their lives, only to see it come to an end by a fellow mentally ill student

'Heyhey', I am sure that after all the facts have been gathered and publicized, every educational institution and police station will take a really close look at their own procedures again and will make changes where they are neccessary. Personally, I think there are still a lot of questions out there which yet need to be answered. As to claiming what "clearly" pushed the guy over the edge is speculative, since it's already obvious that it wasn't just one thing, which doesn't prevent a lot of people (and the media) to keep on second guessing a lot of stuff and blaming it on pet peeves or spin the story or coming up with their own quick fixes and blames.

You are wondering why there are no laws in place that would have kept a guy with a mental health record from purchasing a gun? Maybe it's because there are already dozens of very powerful laws in effect that protect the same information that in most legal circumstances even require special subpoenas to obtain?

I guess what it comes down to is that all the checks and balances in the system can never guarantee our safety 100%.

what sucks is that it is virtually impossible to setup an effective security system in a university campus without making it seem like a jail. but we should all remember that aside from the rare copycat threat, this sort of thing is still extremely rare. so I wouldn't worry too much heyhey (if that is your real name.)

To Icefrog: I just don't see the purpose of showing the video. Everyone knows the facts of the case, what happened, who was involved, etc. Mentioning that the package was sent, and what was contained in the package is fair game because again it simply informs the public about what the guy was doing in that 2 hours span. But it serves absolutely no purpose to hear exactly what that lunatic had to say. there is no need to overanalyze the situation, he was mentally ill and he fell through the cracks. All the meaningless drivel he had on the tape is trivial, all it does is add insult to injury. and admit it or not, but copycat threats are directly a result of the airtime he gets.

Actually I droped by university today for the first time since school ended, and the campus security was much more evident, so i think they have already taken notice. In a Univerisity with 60,000 kids and lots of multiculturalism, you never knew what could happen in my University.

What pushed this guy over the edge was bullying apparently, he was a loner. So I still believe it had a revenge factor to the whole dilemma, he took it out on these poor students that he didn't even know. Unfortunately, like some else said here, there is no way of making a University 100% safe from shootings unless we deprive students of their freedom

- Jay

I just don't see the purpose of showing the video. Everyone knows the facts of the case, what happened, who was involved, etc. Mentioning that the package was sent, and what was contained in the package is fair game because again it simply informs the public about what the guy was doing in that 2 hours span. But it serves absolutely no purpose to hear exactly what that lunatic had to say. there is no need to overanalyze the situation, he was mentally ill and he fell through the cracks. All the meaningless drivel he had on the tape is trivial, all it does is add insult to injury. and admit it or not, but copycat threats are directly a result of the airtime he gets.

You think the public would be happy if they were told there was a video, but the video wasn't aired? :blink:

Which public are you thinking of?

And yes, copycats are a risk when you show something like that, but again, if the killer is copied, the copycat probably had some other, more serious, issues that caused it.

You think the public would be happy if they were told there was a video, but the video wasn't aired? :blink:

Which public are you thinking of?

And yes, copycats are a risk when you show something like that, but again, if the killer is copied, the copycat probably had some other, more serious, issues that caused it.

But that's the thing, even if the public is intrigued by the video and even if there is a demand for the product, that doesn't mean it's a necessarily the right thing to do. we don't just give crack addicts all the crack they want...

but yes, you do have a good point about copycats, there are more serious issues at work, especially when they actually carry out these massive attacks.

Whats even worse is that I'm a psych. major, and the killer was mentally ill. He was in a psychiatric center at one point, and there are no laws to stop him from buying a gun, especially when he was deemed suicidal.

Nothing was ever officially done about his mental illness. The judge sent him to the doctor, the doctor sent the paper work back to the judge saying action needed taking and then nothing happend for whatever reason. Also the kid wasn't a criminal.

There are plenty of laws that would have stopped him from buying guns legally had the propper action been taken. However there aren't any laws that stop crazy people from doing crazy things! Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun.

Just wanted to share our "copycat" threats:

Friday here in Fort Myers, Florida one of our high schools was put on lockdown and ALL schools in Lee Co. were on hightened security. The treat made against the high school was "Anyone seen wearing burgandy and orange (VT colors) will be shot" (my mother informed me that she was wearing those colors - but teaches at another high school). Luckily they found the threat to not be creditable. Not only that but there was also a bomb threat at one school and at another a student brought a BB gun to school.

At last, I'm able to get back onto the boards (login problems kept me off for almost two weeks) to reply on this topic. Sorry, folks: All I can say is that I've been grieving for the professors and students lost to us far, far too soon. My deepest, most heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to their families, friends, and communities ... be they college or hometown.

Jan/GSBG

I just don't understand the location....

I can't speak for VT, but up here every university is run on a very strict structure of political correctness. Any form of bullying is dealt with by immediately expulsion, which means immature teasing never occurs. And there are about a million clubs offering a variety of interests the kid could have joined to find people he can relate too. The sheer size of any university means there's always someone you can relate to.

The horror of it all has been expressed to it's fullest, so I don't feel the need to repeat previously stated things...

For myself, I'm confused....this looks like a highschool drama scene at a university level....that's just not supposed to happen.

I just don't understand the location....

I can't speak for VT, but up here every university is run on a very strict structure of political correctness. Any form of bullying is dealt with by immediately expulsion, which means immature teasing never occurs. And there are about a million clubs offering a variety of interests the kid could have joined to find people he can relate too. The sheer size of any university means there's always someone you can relate to.

The horror of it all has been expressed to it's fullest, so I don't feel the need to repeat previously stated things...

For myself, I'm confused....this looks like a highschool drama scene at a university level....that's just not supposed to happen.

no need to get all dramatic. this was not "society's" fault. this was just a sick person. the bullying card is used way too much anytime something like this happens.

Well put, MC. I fully support how the administration has handled this, both on the day it happened and in the days that followed. You can't shut down a college bigger than a lot of towns with the amount of time and resources they had, and on the evidence they were working with. It's a shame what happened later, but no one expected it to continue, so you can't fault the university. It's unfortunate that it happened that way, but there was no way to see it coming. And for anyone who's wondering, I have friends up there who lost people and knew people who were hospitalized, so it rattled me... so don't think those are the thoughts of some heartless person who's disconnected from this whole thing.

The media, on the other hand, has been insane. I stopped watching it that Wednesday because they were just speculating about Cho and chewing up time that would better be spent reporting new news. That's not to mention it was just depressing. To find out that they've tried to go undercover in the classes is just sickening. They should know when they've worn out their welcome. They need to get off Tech's campus and let them heal. Oh wait, it's the media. That's probably too much to ask, at least until no one feels like watching anymore.