The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Is Brad Marchand the new Carcillo of the league?

Marchand faces disciplinary hearing and possible suspension for his hit on Sami Salo of the Canucks.

Today, Marchand will participate in a disciplinary hearing on the phone with NHL vice president of player safety Brendan Shanahan. The call will determine whether Marchand will face supplemental discipline for the hit, which resulted in a concussion for Sami Salo, according to Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis.

Because the hearing is on the phone, any suspension will be five games or fewer.

Full article here

He's a repeat offender and has been fined and suspended for two other hits. This whole ordeal is taking on its own life with coaches and now owners chiming in with their own propaganda.

Claude Julien said in Marchand's defense saying the hit Marchand made on Sami Salo that resulted in a five-minute major for clipping and a game misconduct, was merely an act of self-preservation on Marchand's part, the Canucks coach lashed out at his Boston counterpart. "Sometimes you got to look in your backyard,'' Julien said. "We all know he's got the same type of players on his team. They've all done the same thing. You just have to look at [Alexandre] Burrows putting his blade in [shawn] Thornton's throat."It's hypocritical and we're stupid and we're idiots and they're the smartest team in the league,'' Julien said. "I guess we need to listen to all the gab they have to say.''

Alain Vigneaut's response to Julien: "That's stupid. That's a stupid comment. You know, what Marchand did there, you can end a player's career doing that. I've never seen Sami Salo take a run at any player in the NHL. All I've seen Sami Salo do is play with integrity and play the right way. Marchand, this is just my feeling on this, some day he's going to get it. Someday, somebody's going to say enough is enough and they're going to hurt the kid, because he plays to hurt players. In my mind, if the league doesn't take care of it, somebody else will."

And now Peter Chiarelli is even chiming in: "He's no dirtier than maybe two or three of their players,'' Chiarelli said after today's practice at TD Garden. ``After a game like [saturday's 4-3 loss to the Canucks], you see all the high-handed propaganda, you feel the need to respond. Whether it's from GMs, coaches or players, I don't like to hear that kind of stuff. Certainly, there's a lobbying element to it and I feel the league does a real good job in these hearings and I don't think, it's necessary to have that out there,'' Chiarelli said. "It's about protecting yourself. This is what this is all about.

Clipping :dizzy: Had to look this one up:

44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

A player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower his own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees.

An illegal “low hit” is a check that is delivered by a player or goalkeeper who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with his sole intent to check the opponent in the area of his knees. A player may not lower his body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees.

44.2 Minor Penalty - A player who commits these fouls will be assessed a minor penalty for “clipping.”

44.3 Major Penalty - If an injury occurs as a result of this “clipping” check, the player must be assessed a major penalty (see 44.5).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC8PR4b_wk4

Not cool. Wonder what's taking so long with the hearing? Embarrassing that the fans throw garbage on the ice.

Good, I would given him more if the rules allowed it. There's no place in this game for that.

I wonder what makes the league decide to have a phone hearing versus an in person hearing? I would think a repeat offender should have to face his punishment in person.

I have no idea but here's Marchand's side of the story:

Marchand, who conducted a hearing via teleconference at 12:30 p.m. with Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli and NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, tried to plead that he was protecting himself from an imminent check along the boards when he ducked and up-ended Salo, causing him to suffer a concussion when he landed hard on the ice on the back of his head at 18:47 of the second period.

Shanahan wasn't having any of that :lol:

It's my understanding that they do the phone hearings when the suspension is for no more than 5 games. For anything more than that, the player has the option of either phone or an in-person hearing (has almost always been in-person). I guess they do it this way to cut down on excessive or unnecessary travel. I'm no expert, so there's a decent chance I'm wrong here, but that's at least how I've come to understand it.

I thought it was kind of backwards from that. If the league opts for a phone hearing, the suspension can't be more than 5 games. Any in person hearings could be more. My guess would be that the infraction and the history of the player should determine the severity of the punishment and that would determine whether it was an in person or phone hearing but that would make no sense in regard to Marchand. He's a repeat offender who caused injury in a completely avoidable hit, one would think this case would be an in person deal with the potential for more than 5 games (similar to Carcillo).

I like watching players fly through the air head over skates. It's cool...

If Salo is dumb enough to stand tall as a obvious check is coming and not only stand tall it appears he's even looking away near the time of collision...I just don't feel sorry for you at all.

Not only that but Shanahan needs to get some consistency because I swear he's spinning a wheel of fortune on his suspension lengths.

Edited by legend-1

Really Legend? Looked like they were both going to scrum against the wall and when Salo saw Marchand ducking down to come for him, he turned away trying to avoid the hit but probably never anticipated Marchand would shoot for the knees. Of course I'm making this up as I see it but I cant believe Salo just stood there and knew what was coming and apparently neither does the Shanahan.

You know I'm a Boston fan but this was inexcusable imo.

The Boston Globe is calling foul and saying this hit in game 1 of the Finals was the same:

and this one:

Seems like a legal hip check is done at the thigh or hip level, not at knee level. I can definitely see where Marchand got the idea from though.

That Boston/Vancouver game was HORRIBLY officiated. Case and point? The Lucic ejection overturned after the game was over. IMO, Marchand's hit was no worse than the crap that Vancouver did on them in the Finals last season...but that was considered "great hockey."

Shanahan got this one wrong...and the refs handed that game to the Canucks.

Looks like the same hit to me. What irks me about the whole thing is that both Marchand and Julien were going on and on about how Marchand was trying to "protect himself," when you can clearly see in most replays the same exact scenario play out just seconds before where Marchand takes the "hit" perfectly fine.

Brad Marchand is the next Brendan Shanahan because he has the scoring touch but also has that physical presence to his game. If he can improve his stick skills i think he has a chance to be better. the big if is will he stop throwing cheap shots and if he can get the huge target of his back against every team in the east conf. and half the teams in the west conf. he will have a very productive career.