TSA

5 Big Retail Chains that will be Gone in 5 Years

5 Big Retail Chains that will be Gone in 5 Years

1. Barnes N Noble

2. Big K (Kmart)

3. Best Buy

4. Radio Shack

5. Game Stop

Interesting that Best Buy is getting beat by themselves. No surprise about Radio Shack, I always wondered how they stayed in business all these years.

I don't see kids stopping buying video games so I dont agree with Gamestop at all. Even if walk in stores go away, their website's going nowhere. Downloading your videogames sucks, takes forever and you can't resell it when your done with it.

I don't see book worms ceasing to want paper back over iPad, Kindles or nooks. All I ever hear is how you can't read on those things for long periods of time without going crosseyed.

K mart was supposed to be dead 10 years ago.

Radio Shack still exists?

Best Buy destroys themselves with their stupid over pricing.

Edited by legend-1

Agree on all of that, as long as Game Stop doesn't get too greedy with their resale prices they should be fine. Best Buy has a chance to redeem themselves by stopping the price gauging. Sure you can price match big ticket items but where they absolutely gauge you is in all the accessories, if they get into trouble its by their own doing and will deserve it.

Barnes and Noble would be in the same category as Best Buy to me. There's definitely a solid market for them as long as folks don't get fed up with all the price gauging they do too. I can't stand to not have an actual book in hand unless Im driving long distance in the car but I always check Amazon for used copies if I want to own a book. If Barnes and Noble stay at least competitive with on line sales options, I'd rather go pick it up in person.

Funny how everyone has that same reaction about Kmart and Radio Shack. Does anyone still shop in those places?

Going to counter some points legend :D

I don't see kids stopping buying video games so I dont agree with Gamestop at all. Even if walk in stores go away, their website's going nowhere. Downloading your videogames sucks, takes forever and you can't resell it when your done with it.

The companies that make the games loathe the fact that we can re-sell games without them getting a cut of it so they have been working very hard to kill stores like gamestop. For example, many sports games now come with a pass code in order to play online. If you try to buy a used copy of the game you have to buy an online pass for 10$ in order to play online. So now you are looking at a used game that is either going to have to be even further discounted (less profits for gamestop) or prices raised (loss of competitive edge). Digital download is going to be the future, but I don't see it happening in 10 years based on our terrible internet infrastructure.

I don't see book worms ceasing to want paper back over iPad, Kindles or nooks. All I ever hear is how you can't read on those things for long periods of time without going crosseyed.

I have a kindle and I have to stay it is pretty damn good. the quality is just as good as paper and doesn't take up an entire wall of space. If I could only transfer my paper books to the kindle version for free... I don't have any problems nor heard of anyone with any problems such as going cross-eyed.

2. Big-K lol

3. Best Buy - I hope so, the only thing left for a company to do with no competition is to continually shoot itself in the foot. I used to get excitied about going to best buy back in he day, it was an emporium of geeky things. Now... ugh... shudder to think that I have to go there.

4. Radio Shack - its a shame because they do sell things that no one else does, but rarely ever need. Electronic components that would probably put you on the no travel list by homeland security.

4. Radio Shack - its a shame because they do sell things that no one else does, but rarely ever need. Electronic components that would probably put you on the no travel list by homeland security.

:lol: So true.

I had no idea about all the gaming issues. Sounds like they could really get themselves into a heap of trouble if the internet war wages on. Technology is cool but not when it kills the consumer.

I mean these games are several gigs and I know Battlefield 3 for instance on my solid network took 4 hours to download. I have no interest in doing that all the time. My internet is solid, however when you can't support "release day" with millions of people downloading a game then don't force it on us.

I think the gaming retailers are going the same rout as the DVD retailers and rental companies like Blockbuster... you can rent games through the mail for much cheaper than buying them in a store. Since most games are 8-12 hours for the first play through, a lot of people play all they want in a week or so and don't want to keep the game. I'm not too surprised about Game Stop, considering how big Steam and GameFly are. My sister's boyfriend will probably never buy a game again. I've known him for two years and he hasn't bought one in that time period... he's a HUGE gamer. To much so IMO.

Yeah, Radio Shack is good for stuff you can't get anywhere else. I go there for watch batteries and this special lithium 9-volt battery I need for our home monitoring system, and I'll always end up there when I need adapters or tools for electronic equipment, but those aren't things I need frequently. Which may be why they are on the list ... though there's a ton of stores in the Chapel Hill/Durham area, which means they must be doing OK, at least for now.

I worked for Radio Shack back in the 80's as a sales person and store manager. Great place for those DIYers. They changed their model from their own brand to selling name brand products.

IF K-Mart does go away, what happens to Sears? K-Mart owns Sears.