The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
MeleeRayRay

Canes Trade Matsumoto, Lindstrom to FLA for Dadonov, Jenks

He should get a look in the top 6 soon...in a perfect world, he could get his feet wet and start on the 3rd line as a replacement for Dwyer but they play opposite sides.

It's a curious trade unless we have Ruutu or Poni heading to the door soon. Nodl is probably here for the rest of the season but he can certainly take 4th line duties and we know Rosie will stay here and play (hopefully) 3rd line duties for the rest of the year.

Edited by Law-Dawg

Hopefully this is just part of a bigger deal to be made down the road. Or maybe the Canes are just going to start running 4 different fouth lines and end up in the same situation we are in now(but they will spend a lot less money)! WHO KNOWS????

He should get a look in the top 6 soon...in a perfect world, he could get his feet wet and start on the 3rd line as a replacement for Dwyer but they play opposite sides.

Michael Smith has him headed to Charlotte for now. And for those wondering, the #63 for his jersey is unofficially out of play. ;)

From Invisible Cane's excellent research sounds kind of Samsonov-like. From off the ice one fears might be Babchuk-like. Seems like a typical JR move, pick up a prospect that has stalled, but reportedly some upside. I have no problem with these types of moves. It's just that they rarely add up to much. So many times I have wanted to beleive that this type of move was a prelude. It rarely is. But still I'm going to go ahead and believe anyway. Seems like a low risk move, but in a season where we're waiting for some shoes to drop, really more of a sock dropping.

couple of interesting comments:

Jason Karmanos said the Dadonov deal was something they felt they had to jump on, even if it dents CLT positionally in the short term.

Matsumoto is a class six UFA at the end of this season and was prepared to move on. Dadonov is an RFA after this season.

Muller compared Dadonov to Sergei Samsonov, said he's a "nifty player" who has some offensive creativity. (Chip N&O)

Anyone watch Sergei Samsonov in Boston in his early years? :)

If Matsumoto was walking at the end of the season, JR did good getting a top young all star rookie player for him.

Muller compared Dadonov to Sergei Samsonov, said he's a "nifty player" who has some offensive creativity. (Chip N&O)

Pats self on back. Muller must have read my post right before this one.

Sergei was great in his early years, and his first few months with us too. Unfortunately, in the end too much sizzle and not enough steak. Fun to watch when he was on though.

Pats self on back. Muller must have read my post right before this one.

Sergei was great in his early years, and his first few months with us too. Unfortunately, in the end too much sizzle and not enough steak. Fun to watch when he was on though.

I thought I remembered someone posting the same thought, good call. I'd be very happy getting a Sammy like player for the early years. Would be very interesting to see what Skinner could do with a crafty player like that.

JR knows what he is doing. i think evgeni is a very skilled young kid. With teams looking at Ruutu heavily evgeni plays the same type of game as Ruutu. Evgeni will most likely take his place at the trade deadline if he is dealt away. And Jenks is another very skilled player. Lindstrom was struggling and Matsamoto doesnt fit into the canes gameplan and style of hockey they play. i love the trade we got the better end of this deal.

What line will Dadonov be on? 3rd or 4th? Also I know we didn't retire Josef Vasicek, # and we are honoring it this year. Dadbonov's # is 63.

What line will Dadonov be on? 3rd or 4th? Also I know we didn't retire Josef Vasicek, # and we are honoring it this year. Dadbonov's # is 63.

Michael Smith has him headed to Charlotte for now. And for those wondering, the #63 for his jersey is unofficially out of play. ;)

What's Sammy up to these days? I'm a North American skater kind of guy, but always enjoyed watching Samsonov on the ice.

He is a free agent, just spending time with his family until someone needs him. At times I wondered if we should go get him... but we are in Youth-movement mode and not looking back.

Jason Karmanos said the Dadonov deal was something they felt they had to jump on, even if it dents CLT positionally in the short term.

Matsumoto is a class six UFA at the end of this season and was prepared to move on. Dadonov is an RFA after this season.

If Matsumoto was walking at the end of the season, JR did good getting a top young all star rookie player for him.

Yeah, as I've been to 4 Charlotte games now this season, I really really hate to see Matsumoto go, but yeah, if he was gonna test the waters anyway, get something of value for him while you can. He's your minor team's leading scorer, someone's gonna want him even if only a half season rental till he goes unrestricted. Lindstrom hadn't gotten up here yet, so no idea. We'll see if Dadonov can make the leap. We have an uncanny history of taking a guy who is in a slump, or a back and forth minors player and somehow he fills a need that we need and makes it stick. Will be interesting to see, and may not see him up in Raleigh till next year (if he doesn't head East).

The focus seems to be on Dadonov, so Jenks may be a Charlotte-only guy. But again, time will tell with that, he's played with some of the current Checkers and could be same point development-wise, another year or two he could make the jump.

Thanks for explaining that TSA. I guess it would make since he go to Charlotte first since he is a prospect player.

Looks like he's taken #36 to wear in Charlotte but will obviously need a different # here in Raleigh. ;)

I thought I remembered someone posting the same thought, good call. I'd be very happy getting a Sammy like player for the early years. Would be very interesting to see what Skinner could do with a crafty player like that.

Ehhhhhh, Sergei was "great" for 2 years because of being the wingman to Thornton. After that and even before he was a mid 40 points player. Staal is no Thornton.

For further proof of the Thornton effect on players....see Jon Cheechoo.

Ehhhhhh, Sergei was "great" for 2 years because of being the wingman to Thornton. After that and even before he was a mid 40 points player. Staal is no Thornton.

For further proof of the Thornton effect on players....see Jon Cheechoo.

Thornton and Samsonov may have have come into the league the same year for the Bruins but during that first season, Joe had 7 points in 55 games and Sammy had 47 points in 81 games (yes I cheated and looked that up). Joe may have been the first overall pick by the B's but Sammy won the Calder :grin:

You may be right after that first season but what does Thornton have to show for it? (sorry, couldn't resist ;) )

I stand by my original comment, I'd love to see Dadonov be a Sammy type player. Besides Skinner and Jussi, who else shows that kind of creativity with puck?

I'm somewhat excited about seeing Dadonov play but from someone who watches the Checkers a lot, Matsumoto will be missed. Although in the end I think trading him for value since it sounded like he was going to be on another roster next season makes sense.

Paul Branecky wrote a piece about the trade from John Matsumoto's side of things:

Matsumoto Moves On

“I was kind of in shock for a second,” recalled Matsumoto. “Once I started telling the guys, they all started checking their phones too.”

Matsumoto didn’t have much time to say goodbyes to his teammates and coaches, as they hopped on the two-and-a-half-hour bus ride across the border while he grabbed his gear and checked in to a hotel in Seattle, awaiting the next available flight to join his new club, the San Antonio Rampage.

As luck (or lack thereof) would have it, that flight didn’t happen. Record-setting snowfall in Seattle canceled his first booking and delayed his second, leaving him stranded and simply hoping to make it to his new home by midnight. With him were only enough belongings to last through the weekend, with his scheduled appearance at the upcoming AHL All-Star Classic, a weekend that would otherwise be free, giving him no clear chance to return to Charlotte and settle his affairs.

“It’s a pretty crazy time for me right now,” he said.

x