The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeyfan1208

Management... Thank you for not trading Tuomo Ruutu

I am glad that Ruutu doesn't give out to much information because really I hate rumors as well. I don't blame the guy. I rather wait until it's official on our website or on nhl.com

The Canes' mamagement history of losing fan favorites who are also producers is well-documented? Who did the Canes get to replace players such as Cole, Whitney, Williams, and Cullen? Given this history, what is going to be done to ensure Skinner remains Cane long-term?

The thing to remember about Whitney was I beleive he had a NTC and he wanted a 3 year deal. JR had a deal with the Kings but Whitney would not release his NTC because it was not a 3 year deal. Deadline passed and nothing JR could do. Then when Free agency rolled around in July, Whitney went out and signed a 2 year deal which expires this year. That is not JR's fault. Blame if any should go to Whitney for holding out and causing the Canes to loose a good 2nd rounder at least.

Williams was a play to get Cole back, Cole got overpaid but good for him, bad for the habs.

I like Ruutu, but he is one hit from spending 2 months in the stands and if we can get something, let's get it. You can bet JR is talking to his management and if they can make a deal, good. But if not, he has 4 more weeks in Raleigh and I will welcome the new guy.

...Whitney went out and signed a 2 year deal which expires this year. That is not JR's fault. Blame if any should go to Whitney for holding out and causing the Canes to loose a good 2nd rounder at least JR for giving Whitney an NTC.

:deadhorse:

Gosh JR, after tonight's game against Boston, you still want to trade him!!! Great composure handling the puck and the spinning to shoot for a goal. Tough forechecking all night, including his check that knocked the puck loose and led to Staal's goal! A lot of intangibles that you don't see on the scoresheet....

Hope Ruu is going to make JR change his mind and not just build his trade value with a contender.

50-60 point players are going to want that expecially with the rising costs of players due to a failing CBA. I think it's crazy people think we can replace him cheaper. Only way we'll replace him is to lose something dealing for someone with a 4-5 mil contract. How worth it is that?

That's Jeff Carter and Bobby Ryan money. Yeah, I'd rather trade for those guys.

Regardless, Ruutu isn't going to get that kind of money from anyone. He might get close, but not $5 mil. $4 mil is the most I would give him.

It would be fairly awesome if we dealt Joni and used that money to sign Ruutu. Last month or so has shown we really don't need him anymore, we need offense. Defense has been great, Cam's been great...really dont need to mess with the backend for once in a long time.

Yeah, the Canes are killing it right now...why change anything? Keep on keeping on!

*sarcasm

You'd rather trade for those guys? Ruutu isn't going to get those guys while a UFA.

We're going to have to lose something else, which sets up back to get those guys. Columbus doesn't want a UFA, Anaheim doesnt want a UFA. So what do you want to trade exactly that doesn't set us back further.

Edited by legend-1

You'd rather trade for those guys because Ruutu is going to get those guys he's a UFA.

We're going to have to lose something else, which sets up back to get those guys. Columbus doesn't want a UFA, Anaheim doesnt want a UFA. So what do you want to trade exactly that doesn't set us back further.

By the look of BigKahuna's avatar, I'd say Mo? :grin:

Yeah, the Canes are killing it right now...why change anything? Keep on keeping on!

*sarcasm

You know what's interesting, since the Canes have been winning...you haven't been posting.

I didn't say use Ruutu to acquire those guys, or anyone else. I understand we would have to lose somebody. I'm fine with that. We can't keep the same players from year to year! There is a reason why this team hasn't been winning. Everything does not fall on Maurice. And it's not even fully about talent, or the lack of; it's about meshing as a team, something the 2011-2012 Hurricanes have struggled to do.

I strongly disagree ever since Muller has come along this team has an identity, that loss the other night to the Isles...the Mo team would have never fought back. Under Muller that team made it a game again.

Losing our top goal scorer doesn't make us any better. Losing dead weight and fringe players for improvements make us better. Trying to acquire a first liner with a second liner just makes us have a hole at second line we have no money to fill.

Edited by legend-1

I strongly disagree ever since Muller has come along this team has an identity, that loss the other night to the Isles...the Mo team would have never fought back. Under Muller that team made it a game again.

Losing our top goal scorer doesn't make us any better. Losing dead weight and fringe players for improvements make us better. Trying to acquire a first liner with a second liner just makes us have a hole at second line we have no money to fill.

Again, didn't say to use Ruutu to acquire a first liner.

I think you and I are having different thought patterns. I think you are still holding on to hope for this year. I'm already thinking offseason. Yes, trading away a piece to acquiring a first line winger who create another hole - that hole, however, can be filled by an upcoming prospect or by signing a free agent. Let's be more specfic - let's say we trade away Pitkanen in a package for a top liner or second line center (w/e you think is best). IMO, we have A LOT of offensive dmen, making one of expendable; Pitkanen would bring back the largest return. Murphy could be ready to go, Dumoulin could be ready to go - or we could sign someone else.

Regardless, Ruutu is not worth 5 mil. That's first line winger money, like Ryan. I'm willing to bet Ruutu knows he isn't worth that. Plus, the $5 mil rumor IS just a rumor.

If Cole can get 4.5 million having previously broken his neck I think Ruutu can get 5. Ruutu is a rare breed of player that can score, set up other players, play a physical grinding game, and he's skilled enough to play with most anyone. On the right line he can definitely put up 30-30. Someone WILL pay him 5 if he makes it to the open market.

I'm one who believes Ruutu will easily get 5-mil on the open market. I'm also one who believes JR won't pay that, but won't be able to replace him on the open market for anything less.

If he is traded at or before the deadline, I'm looking for returns like Couturier, Connolly, Zibanejad, Bjugstad, or guys like Kadri or Colbourne and a first.

I also think moves more around the edges, like the one JR made for Dadanov are the types of moves where we might find a high risk\reward, and are moves that fit the JR mold more than fishing around the edges of free agency.

Looking at the UFA pool going forward, outside of Parise (slim chance) or Semin (just say no), the only guy I really like is Grabovsky (please), who would fill a nice hole as a second line center and allow the Canes to fill Ruutu's hole while plugging another.

I'm one who believes Ruutu will easily get 5-mil on the open market. I'm also one who believes JR won't pay that, but won't be able to replace him on the open market for anything less.

If he is traded at or before the deadline, I'm looking for returns like Couturier, Connolly, Zibanejad, Bjugstad, or guys like Kadri or Colbourne and a first.

I also think moves more around the edges, like the one JR made for Dadanov are the types of moves where we might find a high risk\reward, and are moves that fit the JR mold more than fishing around the edges of free agency.

Looking at the UFA pool going forward, outside of Parise (slim chance) or Semin (just say no), the only guy I really like is Grabovsky (please), who would fill a nice hole as a second line center and allow the Canes to fill Ruutu's hole while plugging another.

Yeah, I basically agree with everything here. If JR pays $5 mil on a forward, he's either going to sign a top liner for Staal or acquire a top liner via trade.

While for the most part I prefer North American skaters, Grabovski would fit nicely.

Grabovsky would be a nice pickup if we could pull it off. I'm going to take a guess he would cost about the same as Ruutu is now making. Maybe a little less. He making 3.1 mil now.

I agree with you on Ruutu's potential value. Isn't he making $4M or $4.5 on this year's contract? I don't know but I thought I read it somewhere, with like a 3.8 salary cap hit. I don't think we will get anything better than what we have on the team already for UFA/rental Ruutu.

The unknown is what he commands as FA after 7/1. To me that makes it a no brainer.

1. Make a genuine offer before 2/27 for what you think he's worth, or willing to spend.

2. If he signs, great. If not, c-ya and reap the benefits (and btw I love this guy's game).

3. Come 7/1 the open market dictates and repeat the process. You can do an awful lot with $5M+ at that point to ease the sting.

My personal preference is No.1, but a quick look at anything like what Coastal suggests is available (No.2) is appealing for a re-building team.

The unknown is what he commands as FA after 7/1. To me that makes it a no brainer.

1. Make a genuine offer before 2/27 for what you think he's worth, or willing to spend.

2. If he signs, great. If not, c-ya and reap the benefits (and btw I love this guy's game).

3. Come 7/1 the open market dictates and repeat the process. You can do an awful lot with $5M+ at that point to ease the sting.

My personal preference is No.1, but a quick look at anything like what Coastal suggests is available (No.2) is appealing for a re-building team.

IMO you're right. Make a sincere pre-Feb 27 offer and if you can't come to terms, JR will want to get the best he can for a high-value UFA.

You can do an awful lot in the trademarket with 5 mil to spend. I do not however believe that you can outright sign someone for any less then 5 mil who can do the same.

You have to think are we willing to lose something worth a Ruutu player and then something else to put our offense ahead to get ahead next year. In my opinion...no we cant afford that.

Your talking dealing Joni to make the room and the player to replace Ruu and then spending I guess 4 mil on a fringe 2nd liner whose hit tough times when we need a first liner.

At the bottom of the release about Stewart being placed on waivers Jim Rutherford said this about Ruu.

In other potential transactions news, Rutherford said that he would meet with pending unrestricted free agent Tuomo Ruutu on this road trip to “get an updated on his feelings about his status.” Ruutu’s name has daily been tossed into the rumor mill. Rutherford cautioned against those rumors.

“I’m not actively trying to do anything,” he said.

Good article from Bob McKenzie on the Hurricane trade front, and an excerpt about Ruutu:

"With Gleason, Rutherford ultimately determined he was a player they would like to keep - for the right price. So once the Hurricanes knew exactly what they would get in trade for Gleason, Rutherford took Gleason to lunch and told him a) a trade could be made or B) the defenceman could agree to stay in Raleigh at the Hurricanes' price. In this case, four years at $4 million per year.

So Gleason opted to stay.

Now if Rutherford gives Ruutu the same option, it will be up to the player to decide his own fate. So the betting is Ruutu is either dealt this week or he signs an extension to stay with Carolina."

Full article is here: McKenzie Article from TSN