The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeyfan1208

Management... Thank you for not trading Tuomo Ruutu

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Canes GM Jim Rutherford says he has met with Tuomo Ruutu and decided he wants to try and re-sign the pending UFA forward.

Sounds like things are moving.

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun

Both sides will talk contract over next week or so. Obviously if they can't reach agreement, he'll likely be moved before Feb 27

More...

Rutherford: Signing Ruutu is a Priority - Mike Maniscalco/WRAL

Of course, things can change. If another team makes a tremendous offer, it is hard to turn down deals that can improve your club for the long haul. But unlike some of the free agents that have left the past few seasons, this year appears to be different. I don’t expect the Canes to sit idly by at the deadline, but the announcements might be more about who is staying rather than who is leaving.

As much as I would love to see JR turn Ruutu into Sean Couturier or some other future Top 6 forward, I think that keeping him is the right move. Ruutu is still largely in his prime and is probably more valuable than 90% of the Free Agent crop this summer.

Clearly, we need TWO top 6 wingers. If we are able to keep Ruutu, we only need to find one more. JR hates going the route of the FA market for high dollar players. He loves value shopping and acquiring his high dollar guys via savvy trades. My prediction:

1 - JR resigns Ruutu for Joni Pitkanen dollars.

2 - JR trades Spacek and Allen for picks

3 - JR bundles those picks with Pitkanen at Draft for his Top 6 forward (guy who is an RFA and can’t fit in the team’s cap, guy who is on team with abundance of forwards but hurting on D, guy who is somewhat underperforming and needs a change of scenery)

End result, we are still fairly solid on the back end without Joni and we shore up our Top 6 with a new addition…

Why would we trade our best defensemen(Joni)?

Because our defense has been at least as good without him. Because Faulk projects to be a better all around defenseman at a fraction of the cost. Because, despite his lack of physical play, he is remarkably fragile. Because we have defensive prospects that make him redundant. Most importantly, we need offense, namely another top-6 winger. He can be packaged to get that return, and we need to lose his salary to take on a comparable salary.

Because our defense has been at least as good without him. Because Faulk projects to be a better all around defenseman at a fraction of the cost. Because, despite his lack of physical play, he is remarkably fragile. Because we have defensive prospects that make him redundant. Most importantly, we need offense, namely another top-6 winger. He can be packaged to get that return, and we need to lose his salary to take on a comparable salary.

You do realize that you say we need offense. Pits is good for around 45 points a season. Isn't that offense right there? He is our best defense men and Faulk is not close to his level. trading Joni is not the answer IMO. Stop the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. When Faulk puts up 40 points I will agree with you.

Mike Maniscalco - Just spoke with Jim Rutherford, he told me that signing Tuomo Ruutu is a priority for the Canes.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/10709757/

All this is encouraging, we'll see.

This whole situation is like August, when there's nothing left to do but wait. At least we have some better hockey to look forward to 3 times a week.

Get 'er done.

I agree that it is encouraging. True JR might be posturing to get the most out of a trade, but if he signs Gleason and Ruutu, it tells me that he is in for a quick turnaround, which I think can happen if we keep our key assets and add to them.

As much as I would love to see JR turn Ruutu into Sean Couturier or some other future Top 6 forward, I think that keeping him is the right move. Ruutu is still largely in his prime and is probably more valuable than 90% of the Free Agent crop this summer.

Clearly, we need TWO top 6 wingers. If we are able to keep Ruutu, we only need to find one more. JR hates going the route of the FA market for high dollar players. He loves value shopping and acquiring his high dollar guys via savvy trades. My prediction:

1 - JR resigns Ruutu for Joni Pitkanen dollars.

2 - JR trades Spacek and Allen for picks

3 - JR bundles those picks with Pitkanen at Draft for his Top 6 forward (guy who is an RFA and can’t fit in the team’s cap, guy who is on team with abundance of forwards but hurting on D, guy who is somewhat underperforming and needs a change of scenery)

End result, we are still fairly solid on the back end without Joni and we shore up our Top 6 with a new addition…

I agree with about 99.9% of this. The only part I may disagree with is where you say, "As much as I would love to see JR turn Ruutu into Sean Couturier or some other future Top 6 forward, I think that keeping him is the right move." Why not try to turn him into a young top 6 guy AND THEN resign him in the offseason? Yeah, it would be hard, but if Ruutu really did want to stay here, he would at least try and make himself available to JR on July 1.

And as far as your idea of trading picks with Pitkanen to bring in some forward help, I'm with you 100%. Our D is playing pretty darn well and we need some serious forward help. Pitkanen isn't even playing right now and could bring in some serious forward help.

As long as we are on the topic of signing out UFAs, unless JR has a plan to go after a top dman this offseason, I wonder why no one is talking about resigning Allen. In so many games this season he has been our best dman; and in all honesty, he probably isn't going to get a large return in a trade.. hm..

Anyone can make a good case to re-sign our UFA's but the big problem I see is that we'll have the same team again next year. Are we really that close that just adding a couple of new players to fill the obvious voids will get us over the playoff hump?

Anyone can make a good case to re-sign our UFA's but the big problem I see is that we'll have the same team again next year. Are we really that close that just adding a couple of new players to fill the obvious voids will get us over the playoff hump?

You may be right. Getting Capt Kirk, an every night commitment, and 1 or 2 skilled players may do it.

Don't buy the same team theory. Way too many holes, and who knows which player can step up from Charlotte. Assuming we sign Ruutu, I see:

Jokinen - Staal - xxx (we don't have one)

Skinner - xxx (we don't have one) - Ruutu

Tlusty (a keeper) - Sutter - Dwyer\Nodl (perfect role playing a wing on the checking line)\or xxx

xxx (Stewart is on the curb) - Brent - Larose (where he belongs)

So, fill your xxx with Boychuk, Bowman, Dalpe, etc? Not sold on that, we've been there done that.

Allen (likely gone, so xxxx)- Gleason

Pitkanen - McBain

Harrison-Faulk

Spacek (will likely be gone, so xxx)

Joslin (please edit: no)

Murphy (not convinced)

Sangs (well, he is putting up points)

Dumo (well don't expect a Faulk there, but it won't be long)

Levi, Biega, etc.- not yet

...and then there's the draft

Edited by coastal_caniac

Erik Cole's cap is at 4.5. Should Ruutu's really be the same? He's making 4.4 this year, and I'm betting he's going to want a raise...

Ruutu is younger than Cole, it is debatable on who is better though. Ruutu produces more while Cole can create chances with his game changing speed down the right side. If I was JR I'd probably go a little higher with the goal to try and get him to go for a discount like the other Finns and Gleason. My bet is that Ruutu does take a discount. When you have 3 younger guys that could have gotten better money on the FA market with teams that are always contenders, it has to make one wonder.

EDIT: I forgot to reiterate that Gleason/Jokinen/Pitkanen haven't won Cups yet either. They must believe in something down here.

Edited by jfive

I couldn't agree with your more, Pits IMO isn't worth what he is gatting paid and I'm not sure he will fit into Mullers style of play. Muller likes little more gritty style of defense and Joni is more of the shadowing style of defense.Yes he does have somewhat of an offensive style of play but I too would rather have a better offensive/scoreing winger than another offensive d-man!

Edited by djharley

At the end of last season JR said the same thing about Cole. He said it was his priority to sign him so I'm trying to keep an even keel and just watch what happens. Of course the big difference is that it isn't the end of the season and we should know before trade deadline if a deal can be reached.

I'm sure Ruutu will be doing some soul searching this week. I'm thinking he might get more on the open market then we can offer but we may be able to make an attractive enough offer that he will stay. What ever happens I hope Ruu gets what he wants. He has been a fan favorite and looks to be a good teammate. I really hope what Ruu wants and what the Canes want turns out to be the same thing.

EDIT: I forgot to reiterate that Gleason/Jokinen/Pitkanen haven't won Cups yet either. They must believe in something down here.

Just the fact that Gleason re-signed here at a reasonable price leads me to believe Muller and JR have laid out a pretty enticing plan to get this team back to the playoffs and it sounds like the players are buying it.

I agree with about 99.9% of this. The only part I may disagree with is where you say, "As much as I would love to see JR turn Ruutu into Sean Couturier or some other future Top 6 forward, I think that keeping him is the right move." Why not try to turn him into a young top 6 guy AND THEN resign him in the offseason? Yeah, it would be hard, but if Ruutu really did want to stay here, he would at least try and make himself available to JR on July 1.

And as far as your idea of trading picks with Pitkanen to bring in some forward help, I'm with you 100%. Our D is playing pretty darn well and we need some serious forward help. Pitkanen isn't even playing right now and could bring in some serious forward help.

As long as we are on the topic of signing out UFAs, unless JR has a plan to go after a top dman this offseason, I wonder why no one is talking about resigning Allen. In so many games this season he has been our best dman; and in all honesty, he probably isn't going to get a large return in a trade.. hm..

While the 'trade Ruutu, then resign' situation would be ideal, it has it's problems. It is always cheaper to resign a guy when you have exclusive bargaining rights, then when they are on the open market and his agent is trolling other GM's for potential offers. I tossed out a 4.5 avg for Ruutu over 5 thinking something like 5.5, 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 3.5 over the next five years. That takes him to 33 or so when the contract expires. I imagine he could probably add a year and several million to that on the open market easily.

I do think that Allen is a perfect candidate for the 'trade, then resign scenario'. Unless he goes to a team that has a deep run and he is seen as a key reason why, he should be able to be resigned fairly easily. He will not be nearly as heavily courted in the offseason as Ruutu and all indications are that he and his family really like it here.

Don't buy the same team theory. Way too many holes, and who knows which player can step up from Charlotte. Assuming we sign Ruutu, I see:

Jokinen - Staal - xxx (we don't have one)

Skinner - xxx (we don't have one) - Ruutu

Tlusty (a keeper) - Sutter - Dwyer\Nodl (perfect role playing a wing on the checking line)\or xxx

xxx (Stewart is on the curb) - Brent - Larose (where he belongs)

So, fill your xxx with Boychuk, Bowman, Dalpe, etc? Not sold on that, we've been there done that.

Allen (likely gone, so xxxx)- Gleason

Pitkanen - McBain

Harrison-Faulk

Spacek (will likely be gone, so xxx)

Joslin (please edit: no)

Murphy (not convinced)

Sangs (well, he is putting up points)

Dumo (well don't expect a Faulk there, but it won't be long)

Levi, Biega, etc.- not yet

...and then there's the draft

Sad that were talking about next year's lineup in February... Again...

Tlusty - Staal - Free Agent/Trade Acquisition for Pits

Skinner - Jokinen - Ruutu

Nodl - Sutter - Dwyer

Stewart - Brent - LaRose

Tlusty, Nodl, Dwyer, and the entire 4th line spots should be open for Boychuk, Bowman, Dalpe, Other Sutter, Samson, to battle for.

Allen (if resigned or FA replacement) - Gleason

Faulk - Harrison

McBain - Joslin

Obviously include Pits here if he is unable to be moved for Top 6 help. Murphy, Sangs, and at least one other depth FA signing should be battle McBain and Joslin for the 5, 6, and 7th spots.

If Pits can be moved for Top 6 guy and Allen can be resigned, JR really only has to bring in a depth defenseman on the market. If Pits can't be moved, he'll have is work cut out trying to bring in a Top 6 guy.

While the 'trade Ruutu, then resign' situation would be ideal, it has it's problems. It is always cheaper to resign a guy when you have exclusive bargaining rights, then when they are on the open market and his agent is trolling other GM's for potential offers. I tossed out a 4.5 avg for Ruutu over 5 thinking something like 5.5, 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 3.5 over the next five years. That takes him to 33 or so when the contract expires. I imagine he could probably add a year and several million to that on the open market easily.

I do think that Allen is a perfect candidate for the 'trade, then resign scenario'. Unless he goes to a team that has a deep run and he is seen as a key reason why, he should be able to be resigned fairly easily. He will not be nearly as heavily courted in the offseason as Ruutu and all indications are that he and his family really like it here.

That Ruutu contract would be with him until he was 34th with a cap hit of 4.7. That is A LOT for someone who HAS been considered inconsistent from time to time.

I mean, I can understand that he is a fan favorite, but I'm trying to think about this logically. Last season was the first season since his rookie year that he played all 82 games. He has NEVER scored 30 goals in one season, and (granted, I know he hasn't really been given a lot of playoff experiece) in the 09 playoffs he only had 4 pts in 16 games (1 g, 3 a).

The MOST I would give Ruutu is 3 years at a 4.5 cap hit.

Tlusty, Nodl, Dwyer, and the entire 4th line spots should be open for Boychuk, Bowman, Dalpe, Other Sutter, Samson, to battle for.

Thank god Muller has shown he doesn't think this way, and that philosophy went out the door with Mo. Other than Sutter2, our legit offensive prospects will either sink or swim with their chances on a scoring line.

If Ruutu will take $4.5 to 4.75 mil on the cap at 3 to 4 years, sign him. That would be decent for a versatile top 6 power forward at his peak years. Considering Joni/Jussi also both took home team discounts, I suspect he'll stay.

Speaking of Joni...

...Pits is good for around 45 points a season. Isn't that offense right there? He is our best defense men and Faulk is not close to his level. trading Joni is not the answer IMO. Stop the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

He's only done that once since he left Philly. Kind of hard when you only manage 70 games a year. Whether Joni or McBain gets moved depends a lot on Murphy's development, IMO. I think McBain would go before Pits though.