The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeyfan1208

Management... Thank you for not trading Tuomo Ruutu

Bob McKenzie - Assuming no hiccups, Ruuttu expected to get a 4-year extension with a slight bump on the $3.8M he's currently earning.

Just a slight bump? I'm good with that.

Hopefully that's 1 top 6 guy down with 1 more to go. Thank you JR and Ruutu for working together.

EDIT: I think this proves that guys want to stay here and believe the team is capable of winning.

Edited by jfive

Bob McKenzie - Assuming no hiccups, Ruuttu expected to get a 4-year extension with a slight bump on the $3.8M he's currently earning.

Just a slight bump? I'm good with that.

I think he has that one wrong. Isn't Ruutu making $4.4 mil now? The $3.8 is his cap hit.

It's cool Ruutu is going to stay around, but are we all happy with a Tlusty Staal Ruutu first line? I still kinda think we need a first line winger and a second line center, but the lines seem kind of jumbled..

Tlusty Staal New Guy

Skinner New Guy Ruutu

Jokinen Sutter Dwyer

Stewart/Bowman Brent Joslin

I don't know.. Jokinen doesn't seem like a third liner to me, and Bowman doesn't belong on the 4th line.. We'll see what happens.

I think he has that one wrong. Isn't Ruutu making $4.4 mil now? The $3.8 is his cap hit.

He later corrected himself; you're right.

Luke DeCock@LukeDeCock - Ruutu deal is a good one for team and player, but raises bar. At that price, needs to produce 25 G a year. After 26 in 09, has averaged 17.

Why would Ruutu earn a raise? He was overpaid to begin with based on his potential. He is 29 years old now and WYSIWYG. Anything over 4mil a year is an overpayment. This team will continue to flounder by overpaying the Chad LaRoses, Tim Gleasons and Tuomo Ruutus instead of signing legit 1st line/pairing players. LaRose and Gleason are easily replaced by AHLers. Why does JR keep wasting money on mediocre players?

I guess I'm completely off topic though. Ruutu is certainly a lot better than LaRose and Gleason.. I just want this team to improve, and it never happens.

Tripp Tracy@TrippTracyReply - Tuomo just told me on the phone the biggest reasons for staying are the People he's met with the Hurricanes and he loves the area.

He's such a softie.. :love:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

CAR and Tuomo Ruutu agree to terms on a four-year extension with an AAV of $4.75M. #TradeCentre #tsn.

SERIOUSLY? I'm so done with JR.

Have you not learned anything from Erik Cole? Come on now guys. JR doesn't want to make the same mistake twice.

Tough crowd.

Don't treat this as the be all/end all. I think JR knows he has more work to do. I believe JR has finally woken up from his funk and will do something surprising, although it may have to wait until after the season.

It's cool Ruutu is going to stay around, but are we all happy with a Tlusty Staal Ruutu first line? I still kinda think we need a first line winger and a second line center, but the lines seem kind of jumbled..

Tlusty Staal New Guy

Skinner New Guy Ruutu

Jokinen Sutter Dwyer

Stewart/Bowman Brent Joslin

I don't know.. Jokinen doesn't seem like a third liner to me, and Bowman doesn't belong on the 4th line.. We'll see what happens.

He later corrected himself; you're right.

Luke DeCock@LukeDeCock - Ruutu deal is a good one for team and player, but raises bar. At that price, needs to produce 25 G a year. After 26 in 09, has averaged 17.

I am a big fan of Ruutu, but Luke is right.. 4.75 is a lot of money for a guy who has never scored 30 goals who is on a budget restricted team.

AND he has a NTC for the first three years.. geeze..

Edited by jeromeo87

SERIOUSLY? I'm so done with JR.

Then leave. JR isn't going anywhere. PK resigned him.

Columbus is looking for some fans.

While the 'trade Ruutu, then resign' situation would be ideal, it has it's problems. It is always cheaper to resign a guy when you have exclusive bargaining rights, then when they are on the open market and his agent is trolling other GM's for potential offers. I tossed out a 4.5 avg for Ruutu over 5 thinking something like 5.5, 5.5, 4.5, 4.5, 3.5 over the next five years. That takes him to 33 or so when the contract expires. I imagine he could probably add a year and several million to that on the open market easily.

I do think that Allen is a perfect candidate for the 'trade, then resign scenario'. Unless he goes to a team that has a deep run and he is seen as a key reason why, he should be able to be resigned fairly easily. He will not be nearly as heavily courted in the offseason as Ruutu and all indications are that he and his family really like it here.

Damn, I was pretty close. Off by one year and 250k...

This is a good move. We would not have upgraded him via the FA market this summer for that same amount of cabbage. This leaves JR with ability to add another Top 6 winger either in FA market or via trade (a la Pitkanen for Top 6 guy).

Then leave. JR isn't going anywhere. PK resigned him.

Columbus is looking for some fans.

I have to approve of all of the horrible team management that the GM has done to be a fan of a team? Columbus obviously has the worst GM in the league and all of their fans know it and complain about it constantly.

Have you missed how horrible JR is at drafting? Skinner, Ward(drafting goalies in R1 is rare) and Staal(tough to mess up picking #2!!!) are the only 1st round draft picks he has hit on in his career.

Have you missed how he constantly wastes 3-5mil a year on a bunch of 3rd line losers instead of signing a legit top 6 player for that money and using AHLers that would be just as talented as the scrubs he signed?

Have you missed how he FIRED a Stanley Cup winning coach and replaced him with the horrible coach that was fired before him?

He doesn't want to make the same mistake twice? That seems to be what he is best at.

If you have to praise your GM for mismanaging a solid franchise for several years in a row in order to be a fan, then forgive me for acting un-fan-like.

By the way, a younger (and better) player in James Neal is signed for 5mil a year.

Neal or Ruutu...hmm....

Edited by Justin8649

I have to approve of all of the horrible team management that the GM has done to be a fan of a team? Columbus obviously has the worst GM in the league and all of their fans know it and complain about it constantly.

Have you missed how horrible JR is at drafting? Skinner, Ward(drafting goalies in R1 is rare) and Staal(tough to mess up picking #2!!!) are the only 1st round draft picks he has hit on in his career.

Have you missed how he constantly wastes 3-5mil a year on a bunch of 3rd line losers instead of signing a legit top 6 player for that money and using AHLers that would be just as talented as the scrubs he signed?

Have you missed how he FIRED a Stanley Cup winning coach and replaced him with the horrible coach that was fired before him?

He doesn't want to make the same mistake twice? That seems to be what he is best at.

If you have to praise your GM for mismanaging a solid franchise for several years in a row in order to be a fan, then forgive me for acting un-fan-like.

Andrew Ladd, Giguere(I think), Chris Pronger(I think), (Staal, Ward, Skinner, Faulk, within the last 8 years is pretty darn good FYI)