The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

'Canes deal Ponikarovsky to Devils

Source

The New Jersey Devils reportedly have acquired forward Alexei Ponikarovsky from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for minor-league defenseman Joseph Sova and a fourth-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft.

The Raleigh News and Observer reported the deal after the Hurricanes' 3-0 win against Washington on Friday night.

Ponikarovsky, 31, had seven goals and 15 points in 49 games for Carolina this season. He was scoreless in 15:20 of ice time in the win against Washington. He's a four-time 20-goal scorer, most recently in 2009-10, but had just five goals and 15 points with Los Angeles last season. He signed with Carolina this summer as a free agent.

In 603 regular-season games, Ponikarovsky has 128 goals, 296 points and 397 penalty minutes. He also has three goals and 10 points in 38 playoff games.

Sova, 23, signed with the Devils as a free agent last spring after three seasons at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. He has split this season between Kalamazoo of the ECHL and the Devils' AHL team in Albany, where he had two goals and two assists in 13 games.

The deal came one day after the 'Canes sent Jon Matsumoto and Mattias Lindstrom to Florida for Dadonov and AJ Jenks in a four-forward swap.

Poni' stats:

GOALS: 7 | ASST: 8 | PTS: 15

SOG: 98 | +/-: -12

Didn't really do anything for us besides free up 1 million, when we are already near the floor. I guess getting extra picks isn't horrible, but Poni was physical and big and had decent speed. He didn't really produce points, but he still was noticeable. Ah well, once I started actually liking him a little he gets dealt. Good luck in New Jersey Poni! And welcome Joseph Sova, I always like American hockey players.

Also, with dealing Matsumoto, I thought we'd go for a minor league center. This seems really pointless to me.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Well at least they didn't trade him like they did in calgary/montreal did right during the game and pulling him out and putting him on a plane right away.

Source

Poni' stats:

GOALS: 7 | ASST: 8 | PTS: 15

SOG: 98 | +/-: -12

Didn't really do anything for us besides free up 1 million, when we are already near the floor. I guess getting extra picks isn't horrible, but Poni was physical and big and had decent speed. He didn't really produce points, but he still was noticeable. Ah well, once I started actually liking him a little he gets dealt. Good luck in New Jersey Poni! And welcome Joseph Sova, I always like American hockey players.

Also, with dealing Matsumoto, I thought we'd go for a minor league center. This seems really pointless to me.

It does free up space to keep Dalpe and/or Samson up with the big club. It does get a draft pick that could be used in a later deal. It frees up salary to make a deal for someone else and stick to our budget. I'm sure there is more to come. Don't you think?

It does free up space to keep Dalpe and/or Samson up with the big club. It does get a draft pick that could be used in a later deal. It frees up salary to make a deal for someone else and stick to our budget. I'm sure there is more to come. Don't you think?

I said that earlier,

Didn't really do anything for us besides , but Poni was physical and big and had decent speed. He didn't really produce points, but he still was noticeable. Ah wfree up 1 million, when we are already near the floor. I guess getting extra picks isn't horribleell, once I started actually liking him a little he gets dealt. Good luck in New Jersey Poni! And welcome Joseph Sova, I always like American hockey players.

Also, with dealing Matsumoto, I thought we'd go for a minor league center. This seems really pointless to me.*

*Me being pessimistic.

Yeah, I also think it's possible that there's more to come. Definitely puts us in a good spot, especially with the Deadline coming up.

Hate to see Poni go. We lost some size and playing the fourth line, Poni had the team high

in hits in the Washington game------but with LaRose coming back we have room to keep

Dalpe up here. I think that's what JR was doing.

Hate to see Poni go. We lost some size and playing the fourth line, Poni had the team high

in hits in the Washington game------but with LaRose coming back we have room to keep

Dalpe up here. I think that's what JR was doing.

Would have liked to see that size used a bit more.

JR trimmed a few dollars of the budget, made space for a young forward, and got a fourth rounder and a prospect for a player that wasn't going to be here after this season. I can't complain about that.

Unwinding another off season signing bust. He did nothing that Samson or Bowman could have done from day 1. Nice guy, but didn't deliver on the dice roll for JR.

Unwinding another off season signing bust. He did nothing that Samson or Bowman could have done from day 1. Nice guy, but didn't deliver on the dice roll for JR.

That was what kind of bothered me about all the signings over the summer. All they did was to tie up roster spots in Raleigh on the bottom half of the forward lines. You know, exactly where prospects start out playing.

Good luck to Ponikarovsky, seemed like a good guy and he played hard for the Canes. As many have said, clearing his salary, creating a roster spot and picking up a prospect and a draft pick for a UFA unlikely to be re-signed is a pretty good deal. Ponikarovsky was shuffled around quite a bit and with the emergence of Tlusty and the potential of Dalpe and Samson, there's no need to pay $1.5 mil to a 3rd or 4th line player.

Interesting first move, its just the beginning. Manwolf, its nice to see JR making corrections from last off season's signings and it looks like the reclamation projects might now be kept to a minimum. Taking a chance on one now and then makes sense to me but you cant build a roster with too many dice roll players.

So this means no one wins that trade contest, right?

Points were picked up for the trade coming before the deadline but since no one saw this one coming, we'll keep it going and change it to the 2nd line up player traded. Why not, the Ruutu bobblehead needs a home ;)

We are putting an official end to the 'Mo era. I thought from the beginning that Poni and Kaberle were brought in as Mo's guys and none of it worked out. We now have space for Dalpe to stay up, LaRose will be back in the lineup tonight, we have more cap room for a first line winger and I expect to see more moves to allow for Samson and possibly Bowman to come up as well. The guys are actually talking about still having a chance to win the division and we are going to need some skill upgrades to have a chance. Dalpe adds scoring, Bowman and Samson add scoring and some ability to grind. We still need that top line guy to play with Staal though.

We are putting an official end to the 'Mo era. I thought from the beginning that Poni and Kaberle were brought in as Mo's guys and none of it worked out. We now have space for Dalpe to stay up, LaRose will be back in the lineup tonight, we have more cap room for a first line winger and I expect to see more moves to allow for Samson and possibly Bowman to come up as well. The guys are actually talking about still having a chance to win the division and we are going to need some skill upgrades to have a chance. Dalpe adds scoring, Bowman and Samson add scoring and some ability to grind. We still need that top line guy to play with Staal though.

Not sure what their odds are and I'm sure their not good but its nice to hear that winning attitude coming out of the locker room after being so "fragile' for so long. Changing the culture was what Kirk Muller said he wanted to do first...and he did.

Well we have at least one psychic on the boards, although I forget who and would have go back and look, but someone mentioned Poni being moved after the Matsumoto deal.

If Dalpe stays up, that will hurt the Checkers, but I think they are still pretty stacked. Nash came back from injury last night to center the top line and scored the first goal. They did need a defenseman in Charlotte so Sova will be used right away.

Since I've been following the Checkers very closely this season, and so far these deals are all minor players, I'm very interested to see how this shakes out for the Checkers. They've been pretty stacked this year, and leading their new division all season long and I really think they have a shot to win the Calder Cup playoffs. Even last year when they were the 3rd-4th best team in the East, they would have been best in the West by a longshot. Faulk will never leave Raleigh again, and if Dalpe stays up, that's a hit too but they have a glut of talent down there in Charlotte. Jenks had 3 SOG last night, so he was already making an effort, Dadonov didn't crack the score sheet, but I don't know how much playing time he saw.

Well we have at least one psychic on the boards, although I forget who and would have go back and look, but someone mentioned Poni being moved after the Matsumoto deal.

Acheskis called it but he had him packaged with Gleason in the contest. He gets 1/2 point for that call :)

Thanks for the Checker's insight, they must be pretty stacked because they seem to rebound every time they send someone to Raleigh.

JR has now cleared two mistakes off the roster. Poni was nowhere near the caliber of mistake that Kaberle was, but he was clearly not what JR hoped he would be, and had zero role for this team after this year. Frankly rather have Dalpe straight up.

Still a relative small-ball move, as others have pointed out, we need to clear roster space to see what the kids have. Not much return, but as JR compiles picks and prospects, he does gain some ammo.

The key is to:

Find out which of the "ready" prospects are worth keeping: Dalpe, Bowman, Samson, Boychuk, Nash, even the new guy.

Clear some budget space.

Compile picks/prospects in trades that can be used to make future moves, especially getting something for the UFA's.

First a minor league prospect swap, now this. Kind of slowly ramping up.

If Joni were back, I'd bet Gleason or Allen would go next, but now...might be a pause. Then again, JR seems to be dealing.

And so it starts. A nice way for JR to get into the headlines and set a seed that he is not planning to sit around for another month.

Poni wasn't going to be here next year...So we got something. A Pick & Prospect for him, but more importantly we finally clear a roster spot that should have gone to one of the young guns to begin with.

I never liked Poni(goes all the way back to when he did nothing for the Pens), & I don't think his value would have increased by waiting till the deadline to trade him.

I think he was too soft for Muller's style of play.

I think Ruutu will go next, but unlike Poni his value will shoot up closer to the deadline. I still think Rutuu gets a 1st round pick, or a 2nd round pick + NHL ready prospect. But if someone over pays early then pull the trigger.

Gleason, or Allen will probably have to wait till Pits comes back...unless they want to bring Sags up from Charlotte.

Edited by rocheccw

Since I've been following the Checkers very closely this season, and so far these deals are all minor players, I'm very interested to see how this shakes out for the Checkers. They've been pretty stacked this year, and leading their new division all season long and I really think they have a shot to win the Calder Cup playoffs. Even last year when they were the 3rd-4th best team in the East, they would have been best in the West by a longshot. Faulk will never leave Raleigh again, and if Dalpe stays up, that's a hit too but they have a glut of talent down there in Charlotte. Jenks had 3 SOG last night, so he was already making an effort, Dadonov didn't crack the score sheet, but I don't know how much playing time he saw.

Yea, I think these moves were all about helping the Checkers. JR brought in two forwards in Dadonov and Jenks for Matsumoto (who was planning on leaving anyway) and either Dalpe or Samson because at least one of them will stick with the Canes the rest of the season. And no big loss throwing Lidstrom into the deal since he is off the radar playing somewhere in the Swedish minor league. With D-men Chris Murray and Mathieu Roy injured and Ryan Donald already recalled from the Blades, it makes sense that JR got another D-man (Sova) so that Daniels could dress at least 6 Dmen.

Being able to clear $600K off the books plus getting a 4th rounder in the process is just a nice by-product IMO.