The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

'Canes deal Ponikarovsky to Devils

A bit surprised at the move being right after the game,but over all I think it is a good move. We get return for a guy who wouldn't be here next year. Wish him the best in NJ, didn't think he was a bad guy or anything, just didn't work out.

JR has now cleared two mistakes off the roster. Poni was nowhere near the caliber of mistake that Kaberle was, but he was clearly not what JR hoped he would be, and had zero role for this team after this year.

I don't think Poni was a mistake, he just wasn't what JR was hoping he'd turn out to be. He ended up producing about at his price point. Kabs was a train wreck type of Biblical proportions and I still can't believe that there was a GM in the league stupid enough to bail him out of that one.

I don't think Poni was a mistake, he just wasn't what JR was hoping he'd turn out to be. He ended up producing about at his price point. Kabs was a train wreck type of Biblical proportions and I still can't believe that there was a GM in the league stupid enough to bail him out of that one.

I view it as part of the Cole situation. JR failed to keep Cole and replaced him with Stewart and Poni. That was the mistake, and Poni was part of it. Futher he was part of the log jam of non top 6 guys. I do agree that it was not as epic a mistake as Kabs though.

Ponikarovsky just got his first goal as a Devil, good for him :)

poni.png

That's the way how to impress your new team after being traded. You score for them. Good for Poni!

I agree. Good for Poni. I hope we haven't created another Cane Killer. That would be just our luck.

Ponikarovsky just got his first goal as a Devil, good for him :)

poni.png

I just noticed this as well! I guess he likes his new home. Similar enough color red LOL :) I went to look to see if he had his same number and they dont have him listed on the Yahoo Devils Roster yet. I guess I could go to the Devils page but I'm not that concerned just was curious.

I saw the Poni goal this afternoon. Nice tip in.

I was glad to see the move. As has been noted before -- by me and others -- we need to clear out some of the bottom 6 to make room for the prospects. At one point I thought Tlusty should also be moved, but with 10 goals -- and that 10th last night was amazing -- he's really starting to blossom. I'll eat crow -- and gladly -- to see one of our younger guys starting to put pucks in the net.

Acheskis called it but he had him packaged with Gleason in the contest. He gets 1/2 point for that call :)

Cool - good to have the early lead since Ruutu is my son's favorite player. I need someone sent to Ottawa now to have one less thing to buy for the kid's birthday.

From the HurricanesBeat:

The timing of Alexei Ponikarovsky's trade to New Jersey — just moments after the Hurricanes' win over Washington Friday night — was certainly a surprise, even if a deal seemed likely. Ponikarovsky was one of five Hurricanes facing unrestricted free agency this summer, meaning his days were numbered in Carolina. The only question was whether there would be any takers for a player whose offensive ability has gone missing over the past two seasons.

Ponikarovsky.jpg

Ponikarovsky's game is a simple one to evaluate. The majority of his goals come at the top the crease, either redirecting centering passes or cleaning up rebounds. But somehow his scoring touch has dried up. Over the past two seasons with Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and Carolina, he found the net just 14 times. With Toronto, where he spent most of his career, he was a lock for 20 goals each year.

Right or wrong, the job of replacing Erik Cole's offensive production fell to Ponikarovsky. Both players have a knack for scoring in the 20-goal range, so the expectation of similar production seemed reasonable.

But it didn't work here. Ponikarovsky's seven goals in 49 games — on pace for a total of 11 — weren't nearly enough. Nor were his eight assists for a player who is strong on the puck and capable of setting up another 20-plus scores.

Maybe Ponikarovsky's lack of production was the result of a fading career. Or maybe it was because he played in a lineup with too few top-end scorers. Perhaps it was both. But it shouldn’t have been a complete surprise — not after a five-goal season in Los Angeles a year ago. When you pencil in someone like that to fill a key role, you're rolling the dice for a happy ending.

We could have written that 3 months ago.

We could have written that last line a couple of years ago ;)