The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
puckhead63

Ken Dryden Night......

i watched it on CBC last night...great ceremony. 6 *Big Shiny Things* in 8 years... thats still mind boggling

Heh, i also got a good chuckle when everyone booed Kens brother when he said "Buffalo Sabres" :D

And when i saw Tretiak i was like :shock: ...He shouldnt try to speak french again

Before long Habs players are gonna have to start wearing 12.4 and 99.3

That's funny, I was talking about that with my sister yesterday... she was asking about a bunch of players they haven't retired yet and I was telling her that if we retired every great player that has played for the Habs the players are going to have to start wearing triple digits or negatives haha :P

Catharine.....I watched the game on RDS and seen Dryden's interview in french with the commentators. It seemed like I understood his french much easier then the commentators. Possibly because Dryden is still learning it? and used simple words and grammar?

Maybe that's why he didn't make a strong bid for the Liberal leadership.

Catharine.....I watched the game on RDS and seen Dryden's interview in french with the commentators. It seemed like I understood his french much easier then the commentators. Possibly because Dryden is still learning it? and used simple words and grammar?

Maybe that's why he didn't make a strong bid for the Liberal leadership.

Well.. I hear he's not very good in French whatsoever. One of the reasons people won't vote for him in Canada is because he won't be able to have very good communication with the French-Canadians because he can't speak French very well.

I read stuff in his book (which was written in the 80's) and he talks about how he has issues with speaking French in there, from what you say and what I've heard he probably still does.

So yeah, you probably understood it because he talked with an English accent (meaning he wasn't saying stuff correctly) and he used simpler words. Nothing wrong with that, but you know.. you'd expect him to have better French than he does.. I don't know how bad/good it is because I haven't had the chance to look up any of Kennys retirement night. :?

I think his problem is speaking it, not understanding it though. He seemed to understand everything the french commentators were say. I wouldn't say his french sounded that bad, just not good enough to run for any bilingual public office.

meh.....apparently to learn to speak Quebecois really well all you have to do is go living in Norther Quebec for a year. Dryden's biggest exposure to french is in Montreal, and Montreal is structures in such a way that you could live your entire life in Montreal and never have to learn a single word of french. Which is something I hear bothers the french montrealers a little bit.

I'll definitely say it is a heck of a lot easier to understand French than to speak it.

And I'm going to go judge his French for myself now.. haha.. lets see what I can find =]

edit: well that's fun.. i found absolutely nothing.. :x

meh.....apparently to learn to speak Quebecois really well all you have to do is go living in Norther Quebec for a year. Dryden's biggest exposure to french is in Montreal, and Montreal is structures in such a way that you could live your entire life in Montreal and never have to learn a single word of french. Which is something I hear bothers the french montrealers a little bit.

That seems stupid to me.. why would you go live in Quebec if French is the official language and you don't know how to speak it? Why try and get by on the little English that people speak there? It's not the brightest thing to do when you can just learn to speak French- writing it is a different story, but as long as you can speak it.. you know, people won't have a problem. It's pretty annoying when you speak French to someone and all they know is English, c'mon, push yourself a little.. you're in QUEBEC, speak French.

But yeah anyways- I've never heard Kenny speak any French anyways so I really don't know if he speaks it well or not.

I think it's because the corporate side of Montreal started in English....I could be wrong. But if I lived in Montreal I would want to be bilingual.....I still uses that list of penalties in french for games on RDS WTP.

Dryden deserves the recognition. He was a fantastic player and a very intelligent guy. I recommend the book that he wrote, "The Game." It chronicles his career, focusing on his final season in the league and the emotions that surrounded his decision to retire. It's definitely one of the best hockey books out there.