The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cmw00

Guns 2.0

I just upgraded the oldest thing I own by 1 year today.

Today I bought a Finnish (finland) captured American made Czarist Era Imperial Russian Mosin Nagant model 1891 bolt action rifle. It was made in 1915 in America by New England Westinghouse Company. If you remember from history class the Americans just prior to WWI had the "Lend Lease Pact" with England and Russia to help supply and manufacture military goods. Thats how this Imperial Russian firearm was made in America. It has seen alot of history Fought in WWI, The Finnish Revolutin, The Winter War, The Continuation War, and WWII. It has the finnish army's SA stamp in it so it was captured at some point by Finland and used in their army.

So lets review, made in New Englnad in 1915 sent to Russian ASAP to fight in WWI, Finland revolted agains Russia they fought 3 seperate wars, even while WWII was happening, and now its sitting in my collection. To bad this thing can't talk as I'm sure it has some great story s to tell.

So whats the oldest thing you own and give the story/history behind it.

I have one of your rifle's cousins. Same year, same factory. ;)

*is now jealous*

Got a 1903 30-06 Springfield. Made in about 1912. Also have a can of biscuits and a Wool Bombadier trenchcoat from WW1.(courtesy of a great uncle who died at the age of 18)

Hey FightinMad, we had a couple of M14's (actually M1A's, us civies can't own a real M14) at the range a few weeks ago. ;)

Since we're on the subject, I'll share one of my most prized possessions. It's a Finnish M27 built in 1934 from an 1895 Chatellerault reciever. Notice the brass disc on the stock (second pic), it's the unit disc for which this rifle was assigned to (Rannikkotykist

My M27 is 1932 stamped I need to go through the hassles of breaking it down and checking the tang date see what it might have been in a former life.

Anyways guess this isn't about the original point of this topic anymore :D

Hijacked at gun point I guess you could say... Anyways I fixed it so we are on topic. Its good to be a mod!

I read that all the NEW M91s were stamped 1915 no matter what year they were made 1915-1918, so maybe I didn't beat my oldest item owned yet anyways.

That's the thing about Finns, aside from the 60's "Sako sneak" M39's, you never really know the date until you check the tang.

That didn't sound right did it? :blink:

It made since to me! Anyways its always nice to leave the rest of the board behind and have our own threads form time to time! :P

I'd tkae it apart now if it weren't allready packed away for the evening waiting for the range tomorrow!

Wish I could find some more affordable 8x56r ammo though. I guess i'm going to have to break down and order some reloading supplies for it. I've been learning the ropes so to speak with my turk mauser since I allread had 8x57 dies. Its pretty suprising what that well used barrel will do with a handload. Gonna shoot the m44 collection too, so tomorrow I'll be typing with an icepack on my shoulder. B)

man I can't type now, to much fun at the comedy zone this evening

Those things work pretty good? I use a cheapone from wally world that I rotate around.

How much you want for the 8x56r? I'd love to have it!!!!!

I got a love gun. It shoots love. that's the only gun i'll ever hold or need. there's no safety switch. no long assembly. zero recoil. Only drawback is that it reloads about once every 45 minutes or so.

It made since to me! Anyways its always nice to leave the rest of the board behind and have our own threads form time to time! :P

I'd tkae it apart now if it weren't allready packed away for the evening waiting for the range tomorrow!

Wish I could find some more affordable 8x56r ammo though. I guess i'm going to have to break down and order some reloading supplies for it. I've been learning the ropes so to speak with my turk mauser since I allread had 8x57 dies. Its pretty suprising what that well used barrel will do with a handload. Gonna shoot the m44 collection too, so tomorrow I'll be typing with an icepack on my shoulder. B)

man I can't type now, to much fun at the comedy zone this evening

Where is a good rifle range around here? I have a Chinese SKS I bought a few years ago, but I don't know where to go and shoot it.

I forgot one of the oldest ones I have. It is a Double Barrel Black Powder Cap and Ball shotgun. Same kind Granny loaded with Lady fingers on Bev Hill Billies. Fortunatley I can shoot right of the back step as I live in the country.

Where is a good rifle range around here? I have a Chinese SKS I bought a few years ago, but I don't know where to go and shoot it.
You're welcome to come with us anytime. The SKS's are some of our favs too. B)

You're welcome to come with us anytime. The SKS's are some of our favs too. B)

Cool, you'll have to let me know when you go