The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniacfromappstate

Get to know your fellow caniacs.

If I can make it to the game I'll be there in yellow, in my "Luke Schenscher has a posse" t-shirt. But I'll definatly be at the football game next fall, though I realize that the Duke students don't really go to those.

Yeah, most of us don't, save for me and maybe a dozen other regulars...I've been to every home game since I've been at Duke, though I'm one of maybe ten students on campus who can say that (minus the band members). They're a good time, though, if you can get past the team sucking :shock:

Hope at least you'll be wearing Duke blue when we're playing teams other than GT! haha. :D

Favorite NON LIGHTNING Player: Dion Phaneuf (I'd trade Brad Richards for Dion *cough*Kerri*cough*)

HAHA!!! I remeber that conversation!! haha ya, maybe I'd trade him maybe I wouldn't; Dion's a beast!! idk if Richards is worth Dion... haha You make me laugh Dan!! :)

Anything Else: I'm going to vent here and say ALL REALITY TV SUCKS! STOP WATCHING IT PEOPLE! What are they at now, Survivor season 34?

haha ACTUALLY.... its season 13 not 34... and I hate every other reality tv except Survivor; more of a family tradition than anything else... haha this season is getting boring b/c one team keeps winning and the other team is starving... its like oh look!! that tribe won.... AGAIN!! i'm sooooo suprised.... gah! they had better change it up soon or... i'll quit watching!!

Anything Else: I'm going to vent here and say ALL REALITY TV SUCKS! STOP WATCHING IT PEOPLE! What are they at now, Survivor season 34?

haha ACTUALLY.... its season 13 not 34... and I hate every other reality tv except Survivor; more of a family tradition than anything else... haha this season is getting boring b/c one team keeps winning and the other team is starving... its like oh look!! that tribe won.... AGAIN!! i'm sooooo suprised.... gah! they had better change it up soon or... i'll quit watching!!

Dont you like American Idol?

haha

sterb163.gif

haha ... no.... don't watch it... oh wait... i like watching the first part of the season b/c the ppl make idiots of themselves thinking they can sing... but thats the only part i watch... my best friend LOVES it... haha she goes on and on about it... :) I love you Jessica but... haha :)

That WAS a long post haha. I felt like a moron because I was thinking "Who is GSBG" all the way thru the post. Thenl i saw "Jan/GSBG" and put it all together *slaps hand on head* haha.

I figure it this way, Lightning: If you've lived 45 1/2 years on this earth and don't have much to say, you haven't had much of a life. I guess the powers above meant for me to have a busy, complicated life! :wink:

Sometimes I have nothing to say in posts, other than a :mrgreen: smiley. But when that's all you plan to say, why waste a post?

Jan/GSBG

Dont you like American Idol?

Speaking of which...I actually enjoy watching that just to see the people who think they're God's gift to music get in front of Simon and co. and start screeching.

When they start getting into the people that can actually sing, then I stop watching, because that's just boring... :D

Other than hockey games and my favorite movies on TCM, I don't watch TV at all. Put it this way: If you lived my life -- what with all of its weird, wild, and never predictable twists and turns -- you'd be your own reality show, without all of the phony-baloney histrionics! :P

And, yes, I once watched American Idol ... two minutes of it. "Never again," I told myself. :!:

Jan/GSBG

Name: Sean

Sex: M

Birthplace: Cambridge, Ohio

Hometown: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Nationality: Irish

Height: 5' 9'

Weight: 155

Hair Color: Blonde

Eye Color: Blue

Mode of Transportation: 95' Ford Explorer, and Reef Flip flops

Job: Student

How you became a Cane's fan: Just fell into it...

Favorite Cane's Player: Walker

Favorite NON Cane's Player: Vinny LeCavalier, Vinny Prospal

College Attended/Attending: Virginia Wesleyan College

Video Game Systems Owned: PS2

Favorite Game(s): NHL 07

Music You Listen Too: Mainstream, Classic Rock

Favorite Movie (s): The Departed, Crash

Favorite Food: Peanut Butter and Jelly, Lasagna

Favorite TV Show: It Takes a Thief, South Park, Daily Show, Colbert Report

Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: too many..

Anything Else:

- Junior at VWC. History major, specifically American Revolution and the Nazis.

- In Phi Kappa Tau fraternity

- I like drinking excessively ..Moosehead, Labatt, or the "Sean Coffey Special" ..A case of Natty Light because it's dirt cheap.

- My favorite band is Breaking Benjamin

- I love the American Pie series

- I'm really good at Beer Pong and Flip Cup

- I'm single and I love it that way.

- I love playing guitar

- I love surfing and walking on the boardwalk

- and of course, watching the canes!

Legend wrote:
imafirehazard how about some GRE tips.... that test has me crapping myself. Not sure if I can come up with the jam packed vocabulary that test seems to want. I took some practice tests and a few words just blew my mind.

Are the Kaplar books worth it?

My first tip would be to build a time machine and spend time talking to some 19th century captains of industry since thats the kind of vocabulary they seem to stress on the GRE.

A more realistic way is vocabulary flash cards that Kaplan or one of the other services makes; I borrowed them from my girlfriend and they helped.

Lets see other tips... use all the computer practice tests you can. The computer format is deffinatly different than the SAT's and the other standardized tests

And the math section is pretty straight forward if you have had math and science based courses in college, and since I am an engineer I'm not the best person to ask for tips on that.

Appreciate it :)

Yea i'm going to try to get into JMU or VT for programming. I have gone through calc 3 but its been so long since I didnt rely on a calculator for trivial stuff my mind is just doing a memory dump.

Were any of the 500 flash card words on the GRE?

Cowtown, we just posted the exact same thing, looks like there's some sort of mental connection, haha :D

How's the weather in Calgary today?

haha that is just weird!!! haha... maybe there is some connection... haha so weird!!

weather... well... we got like 5 inches of snow overnight and now its melting... it wasn't supposed to snow, according to the weatherman, but I've given up listening to him a long time ago... haha how about the weather down there?

weather... well... we got like 5 inches of snow overnight and now its melting... it wasn't supposed to snow, according to the weatherman, but I've given up listening to him a long time ago... haha how about the weather down there?

Hi, Kerri! I've been AWOL for a while. How are things up in your part of the world?

As for weather: Click http://www.weather.com, and type in 90802 (my home Zip code) to see what weather Mr. GSBG and I are frolicking in today, tomorrow, and for the next 10 days. According to David, who's watching The Weather Channel right now (the little bit of TV he watches, as well as The History Channel), Long Beach is scheduled to reach 74 tomorrow.

Jan/GSBG

Hi, Kerri! I've been AWOL for a while. How are things up in your part of the world?

As for weather: Click http://www.weather.com, and type in 90802 (my home Zip code) to see what weather Mr. GSBG and I are frolicking in today, tomorrow, and for the next 10 days. According to David, who's watching The Weather Channel right now (the little bit of TV he watches, as well as The History Channel), Long Beach is scheduled to reach 74 tomorrow.

Jan/GSBG

oh Hey Jan!! I'm good; how about you? I'm getting closer to my graduation from highschool.... YAHOO!! :) but anyway, how are you?

Anything Else:

- I like drinking excessively ..Moosehead, Labatt, or the "Sean Coffey Special" ..A case of Natty Light because it's dirt cheap.

- I love playing guitar

Holy crap. My mom was born in cambridge. I thought she was the only one... :lol: :lol:

Anything Else:

- I love playing guitar

Holy crap. My mom was born in cambridge. I thought she was the only one... :lol: :lol:

Yes. Cambridge really, really, really, really sucks. It's boring and I hate it. I am there now for spring break. I cannot wait till I get back to va beach and party again.

Cool avatar, tc! :mrgreen:

If you guys are kind enough to apply the meaning of the thread insofar as I go, that means you'll have to put up with my silly, sentimental posts about the love of my life, Mr. GSBG, and stuff we like to do away from home. 8)

Last night, if y'all noticed, I was AWOL big time from the boards. That's because Mr. GSBG and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary at Fora (http://www.fora-naples.com), an awesome restaurant in Naples, a part of Long Beach that's about 15 minutes from our home. Anyway, please allow me to indulge! 8)

Here was my appetizer: an ahi tuna tower with avocado, mango, blood orange vinaigrette and cilantro, as well as decorative touches of wasabi and soy-ginger sauce. Given its impossibly fresh ingredients and lovely presentation, it was well worth $9:

Ann07_07.jpg

Despite my dozy expression, I loved the look of my appetizer! :lol:

Ann07_01.jpg

Mr. G opted for one of his faves, a spicy mega-sized crab cake, which was $10..

Our wine that night was something we brought from home: a 1998 Calera Pinot Noir. (Every Tuesday night at Fora is BYOW night; anyone bringing a wine from home has the restaurant's standard corkage charge, $15, waived.) Most Pinots fade away big time after five years or so, but not this one -- when we had another bottle of the stuff for our 15th wedding anniversary four years ago, it was rough, tannic, overloaded with in-your-face fruit, making it undrinkable until it had about 90 minutes of "airing." This bottle, however, was beautiful: smooth, gentle, with a lovely flow of black cherries, stewed prunes, light ginger, pepper, and smoke. Mmmm!

Ann07_08.jpg

OK, meat lovers, prepare to get hungry! :!:

Thirty dollars is the price for a sumptuous main course: roast tenderloin of beef, cooked medium-rare, topped with bleu cheese and a velvety caramelized shallot demiglace (sauce), accompanied by buttery, garlicky mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and crispy al dente green beens:

Ann07_04.jpg

(Yes, that's a potato chip, with a leaf of Italian parsley baked into it as decor, inserted into the 'taters. Cool, huh?)

Mr. G, also opting for beef, found his item: a USDA prime flat-iron steak, cooked medium/medium-well. Also coated in that same dee-lish shallot demiglace, his entree -- which totalaed $25 -- came with creamy polenta and spinach:

Ann07_03.jpg

Calories and fat grams be d*mned: This was our anniversary, and we were gonna celebrate! :mrgreen: As soon as we learned that dark chocolate pots de creme were on the dessert menu, we didn't need to read any further:

Ann07_05.jpg

If cmw is seeking superior, attentive, thoughtful service, he'd do well to board a flight to LAX, rent a car, and head directly to Fora (it's in Naples, an upscale beachfront community in Long Beach where homes average $2.5 to $3 million). Mr. GSBG and I are familiar with first-rate service, having experienced it at some of the continent's better dining establishments over the last decade: both Spagos (both locations, in Hollywood and Beverly Hills); SecondEmpire in Raleigh, Truffles at the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto; and L'Orangerie, The Belvedere, Asia de Cuba and Lawry's The Prime Rib, all in Beverly Hills. (Nearly all of those were business dinners involving David's former public relations department.) Fora didn't disappoint at all, offering caring, considerate, gentle, sensitive, and beyond helpful service. It goes without saying that the timing of our three courses couldn't be better. (For our server -- the restaurant's owner -- to be any more helpful, he'd have had to spoon-feed us!) Anyway, he was more than happy to take a photo of these diners in their mid-40s:

Ann07_06.jpg

No, I'm not slouching. I'm just leaning over the table so I can do an adequate job toasting Mr. G! :mrgreen:

The final bill was -- get this -- $83 before tip, well worth the 20% Mr. G paid for service fit for royalty. As a five-year member of Zagat.com, someone who provides the Zagat staff with feedback regarding restaurant fare, atmosophere, and service, I definitely discuss the entire dining experience with him when it comes to "tip time." (Obviously, this surprisingly low total was specific to a BYOW night.) For big-time fine dining with superb service, Fora is a stunning bargain. It's obviouly not everyday dining; we can't afford it every week. But for special-occasion dinners, it's a steal. 8)

So there you have it. With less than 11 months to go, I've got to get to planning our 20th wedding anniversary ... this, on top of an imminent store opening in less than two weeks! :shock: Wish me sanity in the process, friends.

Hugs,

Jan/GSBG

Cool avatar, tc! :mrgreen:

If you guys are kind enough to apply the meaning of the thread insofar as I go, that means you'll have to put up with my silly, sentimental posts about the love of my life, Mr. GSBG, and stuff we like to do away from home. 8)

Last night, if y'all noticed, I was AWOL big time from the boards. That's because Mr. GSBG and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary at Fora (http://www.fora-naples.com), an awesome restaurant in Naples, a part of Long Beach that's about 15 minutes from our home. Anyway, please allow me to indulge! 8)

Here was my appetizer: an ahi tuna tower with avocado, mango, blood orange vinaigrette and cilantro, as well as decorative touches of wasabi and soy-ginger sauce. Given its impossibly fresh ingredients and lovely presentation, it was well worth $9:

Ann07_07.jpg

Despite my dozy expression, I loved the look of my appetizer! :lol:

Ann07_01.jpg

Mr. G opted for one of his faves, a spicy mega-sized crab cake, which was $10..

Our wine that night was something we brought from home: a 1998 Calera Pinot Noir. (Every Tuesday night at Fora is BYOW night; anyone bringing a wine from home has the restaurant's standard corkage charge, $15, waived.) Most Pinots fade away big time after five years or so, but not this one -- when we had another bottle of the stuff for our 15th wedding anniversary four years ago, it was rough, tannic, overloaded with in-your-face fruit, making it undrinkable until it had about 90 minutes of "airing." This bottle, however, was beautiful: smooth, gentle, with a lovely flow of black cherries, stewed prunes, light ginger, pepper, and smoke. Mmmm!

Ann07_08.jpg

OK, meat lovers, prepare to get hungry! :!:

Thirty dollars is the price for a sumptuous main course: roast tenderloin of beef, cooked medium-rare, topped with bleu cheese and a velvety caramelized shallot demiglace (sauce), accompanied by buttery, garlicky mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and crispy al dente green beens:

Ann07_04.jpg

(Yes, that's a potato chip, with a leaf of Italian parsley baked into it as decor, inserted into the 'taters. Cool, huh?)

Mr. G, also opting for beef, found his item: a USDA prime flat-iron steak, cooked medium/medium-well. Also coated in that same dee-lish shallot demiglace, his entree -- which totalaed $25 -- came with creamy polenta and spinach:

Ann07_03.jpg

Calories and fat grams be d*mned: This was our anniversary, and we were gonna celebrate! :mrgreen: As soon as we learned that dark chocolate pots de creme were on the dessert menu, we didn't need to read any further:

Ann07_05.jpg

If cmw is seeking superior, attentive, thoughtful service, he'd do well to board a flight to LAX, rent a car, and head directly to Fora (it's in Naples, an upscale beachfront community in Long Beach where homes average $2.5 to $3 million). Mr. GSBG and I are familiar with first-rate service, having experienced it at some of the continent's better dining establishments over the last decade: both Spagos (both locations, in Hollywood and Beverly Hills); SecondEmpire in Raleigh, Truffles at the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto; and L'Orangerie, The Belvedere, Asia de Cuba and Lawry's The Prime Rib, all in Beverly Hills. (Nearly all of those were business dinners involving David's former public relations department.) Fora didn't disappoint at all, offering caring, considerate, gentle, sensitive, and beyond helpful service. It goes without saying that the timing of our three courses couldn't be better. (For our server -- the restaurant's owner -- to be any more helpful, he'd have had to spoon-feed us!) Anyway, he was more than happy to take a photo of these diners in their mid-40s:

Ann07_06.jpg

No, I'm not slouching. I'm just leaning over the table so I can do an adequate job toasting Mr. G! :mrgreen:

The final bill was -- get this -- $83 before tip, well worth the 20% Mr. G paid for service fit for royalty. As a five-year member of Zagat.com, someone who provides the Zagat staff with feedback regarding restaurant fare, atmosophere, and service, I definitely discuss the entire dining experience with him when it comes to "tip time." (Obviously, this surprisingly low total was specific to a BYOW night.) For big-time fine dining with superb service, Fora is a stunning bargain. It's obviouly not everyday dining; we can't afford it every week. But for special-occasion dinners, it's a steal. 8)

So there you have it. With less than 11 months to go, I've got to get to planning our 20th wedding anniversary ... this, on top of an imminent store opening in less than two weeks! :shock: Wish me sanity in the process, friends.

Hugs,

Jan/GSBG

ahhhhhhhhhh, nice dinner, As a college student I cannot comprehend ...it looks too expensive. (blows brains out)...the cheap natty light will suffice until then..maybe

anyone hungry after looking at the last few posts????..but why is there a tree growing out of that potatoe thing?..........ok, what is the deal with all the young'uns in here. I feel like I should be in a retirement home. Are there just a few of the old and wise over 40 crowd here and to think I was taking some flack from some 19 year olds....LOL...kids, I was skating before they were born...lol