The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Our Playoff Hopes

Flyers win in a shoot out..we need a regulation win against the Blue Jackets. It was worth it to see Ov get stoned in the SO

For tonight's game that effects us, philly vs. washington a philly victory would bump us .5% to a total of 2.3%. 8-0-0 puts us with a 24% chance at 7th and 45% at 8th oh, and a 8% chance at 3rd place, how crazy would that be lol :D. 7-0-1 gives 10% at 7th place 40% at 8th place and 2% at 3rd place. I know that we would have to pull off the impossible here, but its still fun to follow through the crazy possibilities.

Exactly. This makes the end of this season way more exciting than it could have been.

I edited the thread again, and this time added the important games and how the outcome affected the chances overall. Also, our total %age of getting in overall increased to 1.7%. Come on Cinderella Canes?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I don't know why Washington couldn't get with the program and lose in regulation last night. Oh well, at least it wasn't 2 points, but every point is important.

Chuck Kaiton has been throwing around a "magic number" idea for the Canes. Or in this case, a "poison" number if you ask me for a better name.

Basically, it is the combination of points gained by the 8th place team, or left on the table by the Canes.

That number today is now 11 since Washington gained one point last night.

---

The poison number is easy to calculate:

(Max Canes points) - (current 8th pts) + 1 = poison #

So, today it is 91-81+1 = 11.

It is probably actually 10 since the Canes are likely to lose all tie breakers, but let's not get too technical.

If someone else jumps to 8th place, then take that team for the calculation.

Edited by wxray1

Guess we are all Jets and Ranger fans tonight, with the Caps playing the Jets and Sabres playing Rangers!

Here are the tiebreakers:

TIEBREAKER

In the event teams are tied in the standings, the following tiebreakers are applied to determine which team receives the higher seeding.

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2. The greater number of games won (not including games won in a shootout).

3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

4. Goal differential.

Edited by hopper915

2. The greater number of games won (not including games won in a shootout).

Current non-shootout win totals:

OTT - 32

WAS - 35

BUF - 28

WPG - 30

CAR - 30

As of today, Carolina beats a tie with BUF. A tie with Washington is probably a loss as I doubt that will turn around. WPG currently wins the 3rd tie breaker, but a Canes win against WPG next week would push it to the 4th tiebreaker.

Edited by wxray1

Update the thread with Tiebreakers and various tiebreaker stats! Thanks hopper and wxray! Go Canes! I'm excited for tonights game. Is Cam starting again? Also I have a good feeling about the Jets tonight.

Dear Winnipeg, please learn to win on the road , tonight in Washington.. signed, caniac nation, and Rangers play like a number one seed at home, against Slugs..

Edited by dinz

Dear Winnipeg, please learn to win on the road , tonight in Washington.. signed, caniac nation, and Rangers play like a number one seed at home, against Slugs..

You forgot to wish for the Canes to show up in Columbus. We apparently sent an ECHL goalie and let Mason install plexiglass on his net.

Season over. I think I saw Staal on his cell during the 3rd period getting tee times for mid-April.

Of the ways to go, losing to the worst team in the League is just sad and the epitome of failure. I'm gone, no more updates for this thread, as we apparently forgot to show up.

We're done after that embarrassing loss to the Jackets tonight. When you don't play like you care for the first two periods and then don't convert on a 5-on-3, you don't deserve to win, which is sad since this was a key game in regards to our playoff hopes against a horrendous hockey club that we should have had in the bag.

5 on 3 on CLEAN ICE. Even worse.

Buffalo won. Washington tied with Winnipeg (with 3 min to go). Pretty much a worst case scenario. [Edit: Winnipeg wins in OT. A 3 point game. Washington winning would be worse, but this is still bad. Way too many points ahead of the Canes now by 3 teams.]

Not mathematically out yet, but dang near it. Armageddon nite.

The "poison number" is down to 8.

Edited by wxray1

Poison Number down to 4. 87-84+1=4.

Buffalo has 84, Canes win out max is 87. And then there's Washington, etc.

It's all but over.

No team has ever gotten in the playoffs under this system with 87 pts. The lowest has been 88 pts.

Poison number down to 2 with the FLA and BUF wins.

The Canes are officially eliminated from winning the division now that FLA is at 89.

So, it's pretty simple. In order for the Canes to get that true powerball miracle, it takes the following:

- Canes must win out. Regulation/OT wins help their chances.

- Buffalo must go at least 0-4-1. Canes must have at least 1 regulation win.

- Washington must go at lease 0-4-1. Canes would lose tiebreaker so Washington can't win or have 2 OT losses.

Not even going to consider TBL and WPG. Too crazy to think about. Most of the above would have to happen anyway for them too.

It's Over

Best Canes can do is a tie with Washington. They lose the tiebreaker.

Done deal. Golfing time.

3 years in a row.. well it was somewhat of a run, we had some fun...lets do some deals JR, in summer, then kick some butt next season!