The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The future of Social Media?

Interesting read in the Globe this morning. I think that's a pretty personal request to make for a potential employer but it should would give them a good idea about someone's character.

Employers Asking Job Seekers for FaceBook passwords - the Boston Globe via AP

Huge lesson for the young or anyone that uses social media for that matter.....if you put it out there in print, you may be accountable to it the rest of your life.

I wonder what would happen if someone asked me this and I told them that I don't have Facebook.

They'd probably get suspicious and wouldn't believe you (thinking you were hiding something). They'd be pretty bored looking at mine, I haven't posted more than two or three sentences on mine since I was forced to create it, back in college two years ago. It's probably covered in cobwebs like a tomb in Indiana Jones.

I'm going to change all my pass words to theheckIwill so when someone asks for my pass word I can say "The heck I will". (Feel free to use the more adult version of this pass word)

I had my son read this article and asked him if he would provide his FB password to a potential employer if it meant getting a job. His answer, as discussed in school by others who were also forced to read the article, was very simply just to create a secret FB page and give the password to the public one.

I don't think he got the point..... :shakeshead:

I had my son read this article and asked him if he would provide his FB password to a potential employer if it meant getting a job. His answer, as discussed in school by others who were also forced to read the article, was very simply just to create a secret FB page and give the password to the public one.

I don't think he got the point..... :shakeshead:

Or maybe he gets it and we don't.

I don't post much on mine anymore everytime I do someone's panties get in a wad unless you post something stupid like "Hey what a great dinner". Between the political, religous and overall stupid statuses I just can't bother reading my wall.

Youtube's almost becoming unbearable with this election coming up, I don't mind Obama ads but the same 15 second one every other video I watch? Caaaahhhhhhmmaaaaaannnnn

I don't think it will be something that relevant much longer. They mine as well ask to come to your home and snoop through your drawers. I think soon there will be provisions to prevent employers from asking for such information. I have some things public, and I am not afraid to put it there, but I don't put anything up there that I wouldn't want to come back and haunt me. If they don't like what I have publicly posted then I probably wouldn't want to work there anyways :D