The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
iguanadon

Congrats to Coach Kirk Muller!

CONGRATS TO KIRK MULLER!!

With one game left to play in the season, Coach Muller is 25-15-12 since coming on board with us. If you extrapolate that out to a full season, it comes to 39-24-19 for a total of 97 points. This would equate to winning the division this year and being the #3 seed in the east playoffs.

Considering what he walked into and the time it took to mold the team and work his playing style in, I'd have to say that's really darn impressive. My wife and I look very forward to seeing what Muller is able to do next season when he has an entire offseason to work on a game plan, hopefully make a couple of key acquisitions (including the pickup of Welsh yesterday) and fully ingrain his playing style into the players minds.

Again, congratulations Coach, the Caniac Nation is behind you 100% and we look forward to an exciting 2012-2013 season.

Iggy

Edited by iguanadon

Of course a lot happens in the course of a season, but taking your extrapolations as the starting point, that 97 point finish would put us at about #11 in the league in points. Perhaps not that great, but solid and with the talent we have that is pretty darned good, and who wouldn't jump for that now?

To me it is yet more argument for pulling the trigger on the big move to get that top forward. If Muller can get 97 points out of this team, imagine what he could get out of this team plus Parise? Parise with Staal would have to be good for a few more wins. Just 4 more wins would add 8 points for 108. That's second place in the East and a team that could go deep.

We have a solid core plus. We have a very solid coach. One more key piece a fiddle or two and look out.

But yes, even I, who would have voted for a few more losses for a better pick, recognize the value of a very good coach and the team's response to said coach. Great job Muller.

Edited by remkin

Great job by Muller! He walked into a mess on November 29th and a team that was out of shape and a Captain that wasn't being pushed by the previous coach.

Staal: Scored his 70th point tonight in a losing effort.

His monthly totals tell the story. As he goes, so does the team:

October Totals 3g 2a 5pts -13

November Totals 2g 5a 7pts -5

December Totals 4g 9a 13pts -4

January Totals 2g 10a 12pts -4

February Totals 8g 9a 17pts +11

March Totals 5g 10a 15pts -1

April Totals 0g 1a 1pts -4

Season Total 24g 26a 70pts -20

Skinner needs to grow a thick skin and not let every little thing get under his skin and just play his game. IF he wants to hurt the other team? Put the puck in the net!!!!

Good hunting this off-season J.R. Ryan Suter and Rick Nash would make really nice additions!!!

Edited by hopper915

Thank you for giving us a reason to re-up as STH's. Before you came, we were considering

not doing that--------(and just buying occasional tickets.)

Am a die-hard fan, and didn't want to do that. I like your style of play, accountability, skill at

playing our young guys and giving them a fair chance, sitting someone who is a "passenger"

on a given night. And I like your up-beat outlook.

Looking forward to next season !

GO CANES !!

Ash they've pointed out, take the Cane's record starting January 1st, and the team was at a 100 pt. pace.

A great hire by the organization, so management gets credit for the brighter future.

There was no reason to have started the year with Maurice, so management gets the blame for the lost season.

There was no reason to have started the year with Maurice, so management gets the blame for the lost season

There was no reason to have started the year with Maurice, so management gets the blame for the lost season

With Capt Kirk, next yr, a top 6 finish, we get a couple of guys, top 3, great finish...

Edited by dinz

A great hire by the organization, so management gets credit for the brighter future.

There was no reason to have started the year with Maurice, so management gets the blame for the lost season.

Dissent. The reason to start the season with Mo was because of management, or lack there of. The season turned around immediately after the ownership situation stabilized. If we'd pursued a coach like Mueller in the off-season, it's unlikely they'd have signed a long term deal with ownership completely in flux.

it's unlikely they'd have signed a long term deal with ownership completely in flux.

or at all ;)

The season turned around immediately after the ownership situation stabilized.

A point many people overlook or simply don't recognize. I think this will go a long way in any future success of the organization.

The season turned around immediately after the ownership situation stabilized.

A point many people overlook or simply don't recognize. I think this will go a long way in any future success of the organization.

That point is overlooked, for sure.. because it isn't true.

The ownership situation was finalized on Nov 4th.

The Canes record immediately after Nov 4th was 3 wins and 14 losses/OTL.

Might not have been immediate but it's hard to argue that the season didn't turn around afterwards.

Might not have been immediate but it's hard to argue that the season didn't turn around afterwards.

True. My favorite thing that occurred prior to the season turning around was Sparta's renewed vigor during Peloponnesian War, which occurred in 413 BC.

True. My favorite thing that occurred prior to the season turning around was Sparta's renewed vigor during Peloponnesian War, which occurred in 413 BC.

Thank you for showing your Wiki skills. In your opinion what turned the season around? I'm pretty sure it'll be more than 2 cents worth as well, correct?

Since when was ownership in flux? Or unstable? Good grief, Karmanos was just looking for some local investors to kick in a few million. And he could lose money on the deal as he supposedly guaranteed a certain return on their investment. I'm not saying that was not a good thing but I think tying it to the coaching change is really making it a much bigger deal than it really is.

I guess y'all forget that every time JR/PK have changed coaches - all 4 times - it was in late November to early December. And there were no new investors for the first 3. Do you think they'd have fired Mo over the summer if they got the extra capital then? Really??

Thank you for showing your Wiki skills. In your opinion what turned the season around? I'm pretty sure it'll be more than 2 cents worth as well, correct?

A massive increase in the physical distance between Paul Maurice and anyone wearing a Hurricanes jersey.

:on_topic:

Congrats to him also for being named to the coaching staff for Canada in the World Championships. Wonder if they'll promote him with Lindy not going.

You're welcome to believe that the coaching change that occurred on Nov. 29 had nothing to do with the ownership deal that was finalized 3 weeks prior. I'll continue to maintain that a coaching change was not going to happen until the ownership was signed, sealed, and delivered.

You're welcome to believe that the coaching change that occurred on Nov. 29 had nothing to do with the ownership deal that was finalized 3 weeks prior. I'll continue to maintain that a coaching change was not going to happen until the ownership was signed, sealed, and delivered.

Ok, let's play. Here's my opening bid..

Rutherford said he began considering changing coaches roughly a month ago during the team's slow start and reached his decision following the Hurricanes' listless 4-0 loss at Montreal on Nov. 16.

All this quote proves is that JR's decision was made after the new investors were brought in. Sure JR started thinking about it in October and probably talked to Karmanos about it as well. You don't think Karmanos might've told JR to hold off until after contracts were finalized with the local investors?