The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Charlotte Checkers and the AHL Playoffs

The Charlotte Checkers play the Abbotsford Heat today. After yesterday's loss to the Heat, they are on the outside looking in for a playoff spot in 10th place. They have fallen far since February 11th, only winning 6 games over that period and losing 1st place in the Midwest Division. 5 games left in the season, today is their final home game. To say today's game is a must must win is an understatement.

Edited by hopper915

Yikes, what's going on with the Checkers? I thought at one point they were tearing things up but admittedly I don't follow them too closely. The Canes have early season let down problems and the Checkers have the late season one? I wonder if all the player shuffling between Raleigh and Charlotte finally took its toll.

At least they're still in the fight.

It has been a season of ups and downs for the Checkers. I went to Saturday's game. They scored first, but still looked like "OK, they are getting ready to score on us" Their confidence is very bad. Any fore-check and they begin to panic and have problems exiting their own zone.

Conversely, if you look at Norfolk Admirals. They have WON 25 in a row!!! They are 25-0-0 and have been tearing things up!!!

Checkers beat Rockford 3-0 April 9th.

Their last three games are all road games starting with Peoria tonight, Rockford tomorrow and Milwaukee on Sunday. Their 81 points puts them in 11th place right now with the next 5 teams all having 82 points. Milwaukee is one of those teams so that will be a huge 4 point game on Sunday.

Checkers rout Peoria 6-1, Sanguinetti has a 4 point night

Checkers are one step closer and control their own destiny. Canes have sent out playoff ticket info to the Cane's STH's. Looks like only the lower bowl will be open (unless they get a crazy response) with sideline and endzone seats available. Actual dates and times haven't been announced yet but if they make it, the games will be next week (AHL playoffs are set to begin 4/16).

From Mike Lappan:

Checkers can clinch a playoff spot tonight with a regulation or OT win vs. Rockford and a Houston loss to San Antonio.

checkers-1.png

GO CHECKERS!

It'll be a great reason to dust off the tailgate grills

for one last week of hockey in Raleigh :)

:tailgate:

Checkers beat Rockford in the shootout and moved into 8th place. Two teams could still overtake them so the Milwaukee game this afternoon is another must win. Milwaukee beat them twice last week so I hope they are not in their heads.

Checkers could potentially finish the season as high as fifth place should they win and San Antonio lose against Oklahoma City.

Do or die,

Go Checkers

Both Charlotte and Milwaukee need to goto OT to clinch I'm rooting for a gentlemans agreement before the game

Last I heard cheating was not part of being a gentleman.

Last I heard cheating was not part of being a gentleman.

Then a suggestion that they fix the game and it ends in regulation as a tie. :thumbsup2:

Charlotte is losing 5-1, so now they need for Peoria and Houston to lose tonight to hold onto the 8th spot.

Edited by hopper915

Yikes, what's going on with the Checkers? I thought at one point they were tearing things up but admittedly I don't follow them too closely. The Canes have early season let down problems and the Checkers have the late season one? I wonder if all the player shuffling between Raleigh and Charlotte finally took its toll.

At least they're still in the fight.

Player shuffling could have been a part of it but I think that trade that sent Matsumoto to San Antonio hurt the most. The second it happened the team went into a freefall.

Player shuffling could have been a part of it but I think that trade that sent Matsumoto to San Antonio hurt the most. The second it happened the team went into a freefall.

He was a center right? Hard to believe a guy who barely got a chance with the big club could have such a profound effect but something sent the Checkers into a tailspin.