The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
captain_jack88

Reliving 2002

Can you all believe it has been ten years since that spring run? Well it has.

Ten years ago this week our team was kicking the Canadians while they were down after the Miracle at Molson.

But there were other great moments, such as Weekes save on Madden in OT. Jeff O'Neill and his black eye. The numerous OT winners. The triple-OT game (err, ok maybe not that one but the atmosphere that night was amazing).

But then there was also a few other things, the tailgating, the flags on the cars, the greeting the team at the airport, the no-quit attitude that team had, the "How does Carolina have a team in the Finals" attitude the Canadian media had.

So what are your memories?

I remember 2002 as the year I became a Canes Fan. I had gone to previous Canes games but 2002 was the year I gave up any pretense I would ever pull for another team ahead of the Canes. It was also the year I took my then 10 year old son to several Games and watched him become a hockey fan. I was thrilled we had a team and player of Ron Francis caliber. I can still feel the disappointment of that game 3 OT loss to Detroit. Overall the memories of the season is a very fond memory.

I remember coming home at about 2:00 AM after the triple-OT game. It really confused my wife, as I only live 15 minutes from PNC/RBC/ESA, and am usually home by 10:30!

I also remember the late-night trips to RDU Airport, welcoming the Canes back home. After the game 5 SC Final loss in Detroit, they didn't land until about 2:30 AM, but there was a large crowd waiting for them (including me).

I have two great memories from that run. The first was Weekes' save on Madden. Weekes was so far out of position, I thought it was game over. Was totally shocked, pleasantly so, when he made that save. The second is from game of the finals in Detroit. The Red Wings had swept their two previous finals' opponents and I did not give the Canes' much of a chance. But the OT goal by Francis gave us Caniacs a glimmer of hope.

I only remember Weekes desperation save, the Miracle at Molson and Francis's goal.

I can't seem to remember anything else what a poor recolection of that playoffs :)

Am I the only one who sees that team in the 2012 Phoenix Coyotes? There's similar circumstances with the 'Yotes and their playoff run so far. At least to me.

And the 2002 run made me fall in bromance with Erik Cole.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Hello.

Paul Morris will train team the Metallurgist Magnitogorsk in KHL. It is interesting to learn your opinion on this expert.

The Canadian expert Dave King already worked for us, we were very happy with his work.

Edited by Dmitriy_71

Am I the only one who sees that team in the 2012 Phoenix Coyotes? There's similar circumstances with the 'Yotes and their playoff run so far. At least to me.

And the 2002 run made me fall in bromance with Erik Cole.

Coyotes too fuss and are nervous.

To be totally honest, Game 1 of the 1st round against NJD. I never saw a team ever hit more and harder than the Canes did that night. The checking in that game was crazy. Especially when Stevens touched the puck. The BBC line, Gelinas, Francis, Kapanen, Irbe, Weekes, ahhhh the memories!

Just finishing my first year at OU, I remember staying up to watch the games that actually made it onto TV (and following the rest on ESPN.com). I remember watching the 3OT game thinking "good God, someone freaking score, I don't care who, just so I can go to bed!" I was hoping for at least a 6-game series, but I knew there was no way we were gonna beat the Wings.

I miss the BBC line...hell, I even have a BBCv2.0 on my NHL2K9 on Wii...except Battaglia got replaced by Todd Bertuzzi!