The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

Pre-Season schedule!

...and I like what I see.

Wed. 9/26 Columbus 7 PM Nationwide Arena

Thu. 9/27 Tampa Bay 7 PM Amway Center (Orlando)

Fri. 9/28 Nashville 7 PM PNC Arena

Sat. 9/29 Nashville 8 PM Bridgestone Arena

Sun. 9/30 Tampa Ban 2 PM PNC Arena

Tue. 10/2 Montreal 730 PM Pepsi Coliseum (Quebec City)

Wed. 10/3 Montreal 730 PM Bell Center

Fri. 10/5 Columbus 7PM PNC Arena

8 total games and games on consecutive days from Sept. 27 through Sept. 30 indicates (to me at least) that we will be seeing a split squad that will allow Muller to evaluate his prospects and develop some line continuity with the regulars at the same time. This will be a welcome change after the last few years where we've seen fewer games and a dart board approach at lines that do not resemble anything to be seen in the regular season.

:cheers: Here's to a real training camp and a preseason that prepares the team for competition :cheers:

Muller's going to get shut out of another real preseason. The CBA is going to cause trouble, I think at a minimum killing preseason plus some. I'm not optimistic. Once again, the fans will get screwed and be totally taken for granted.

"Thank You Fans" my eye.

Muller's going to get shut out of another real preseason. The CBA is going to cause trouble, I think at a minimum killing preseason plus some. I'm not optimistic. Once again, the fans will get screwed and be totally taken for granted.

"Thank You Fans" my eye.

Well if it does happen, at least it will happen to every other team as well this time.

I am just asking here, so if anyone is a historian on this please advise, but I would think the the first CBA after a strike or lock out is not likely to be as problematic. Everyone having just gone through that hopefully has no interest in doing it again that soon. Plus the big action leads to major changes, then next one should be more adjustments than major changes.

i'm betting that it gets done with far less impact than say the NBA this year.

That said, preseason is a soft target if either side wants to make a stand. Still, I'm betting it gets done before that.

- The players are getting 57% of the revenue share,

- The owners are likely wanting something closer to 50/50, like the NFL and NBA,

- Donald Fehr represents the players,

= recipe for some form of lockout, whether it could last the whole season is anyone's guess.

I hope it gets done quickly, cause neither side wants a lockout, but Fehr isn't giving up player money just to be nice.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Of course I'm as prone to hyperbole as the next guy, but two lockouts back to back would be a huge hit for the game in many ways. For some reason this is my offseason to be optimistic. But this is based only on my vague belief that conditions don't tend to lead to back to back stoppages. Too much lost each time.

Who really knows though?

Edited by remkin

Of course I'm as prone to hyperbole as the next guy, but two lockouts back to back would be a huge hit for the game in many ways. For some reason this is my offseason to be optimistic. But this is based only on my vague belief that conditions don't tend to lead to back to back stoppages. Too much lost each time.

Who really knows though?

With Fehr, I hope the season can start by January. But I still hope JR can put together a competitive roster during the "normal" off-season to warrant your/our optimism.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack thread... Although the preseason is the most likely thing to be affected.

Keep in mind that this isn't strictly back-to-back. The players had an option to force renegotiation a few years ago. They instead took their option to continue the CBA as is. Fehr made a warning shot and I'm paying attention. He will play hard ball. I think that 7% is going to be huge.

Ya'll are raining on my parade with your "lock out" talk. It is off topic and should be verbotten. Get your stinkin' paws off my thread, you danged, dirty apes.

Now, what is everybody's opinion on the possibility of a split squad for the first time with the Canes? I'm loving it. It really gives the staff a chance to evaluate talent AND develop some chemistry with the lines at the same time. Under Mo, training camp and the preseason seemed to be mostly a waste and then was followed by a slow start, dooming the Canes to be out of the playoff mix well before Christmas decorations went up.

Edited by super_dave_1

Split squads are good, but not as interesting as the CBA negotiations.....sorry we rained on your thread. :on_topic:

Looking at that schedule, it just seems obvious something will have to be done to accomodate 5 games in 5 days.

I do like the thought of having a real preparatory preseason though, unlike how that other guy ran things.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ya'll are raining on my parade with your "lock out" talk. It is off topic and should be verbotten. Get your stinkin' paws off my thread, you danged, dirty apes.

Now, what is everybody's opinion on the possibility of a split squad for the first time with the Canes? I'm loving it. It really gives the staff a chance to evaluate talent AND develop some chemistry with the lines at the same time. Under Mo, training camp and the preseason seemed to be mostly a waste and then was followed by a slow start, dooming the Canes to be out of the playoff mix well before Christmas decorations went up.

OK, dropping my paws. :)

I like this. First of all, it gives a lot of our organizational depth players a chance to play. Second, playing Nashville and Columbus always shakes up our guys because both teams like to play with a physical edge. I don't like dirty play, but getting a bit roughed up as a wake up call is a good reminder.

Additionally, it gives our coaching staff a jump start. Kirk likely won't be in all the places, so the assistants will get a work out too.

Finally, having them on separate days is less gimicky than same day, same team, two games at both barns. Always sounds like a good idea, but is it really?

And yeah, it is a LONG way away from -- what year was that, 09? -- when they played only 3 games.

Edited by wxray1

Who really knows though?

Remember the 80's when it seemed like baseball and football were on strike every other year? Fehr was head of the BB union back then. He got a World Series cancelled, maybe he wants to add a Stanley Cup to his belt. I am not optimistic.

I do like the lineup and approach for camp, hopefully this will prepare them. Big change from a few years ago when they only had 5 because they had a veteran team...yeah we remember how that worked out... Have hopes that Muller is finally going to break the chain of mediocrity.