The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

The Stanley Cup is over and the off-season has officially started but this year the NHL owners and players association will hammer out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Gary Bettman (commissioner of the NHL) and Donald Fehr(executive director of the NHL player association) will negotiate the new deal.

Some of the issues that could be discussed

Revenue split

Player Safety

Discipline

Olympics

Realignment

possible playoff expansion

etc,etc,etc

Some recent news coverage

CBS Sports

TSN

The big question is will there be a lockout come October.

Bleacher Report is suggesting the league needs to do something to increase scoring pointing to declining goals scored in the playoffs.

What the league should do is crack down on penalties so that power plays are more frequent, institute a larger ice surface so the speed of the game increases, and enact new rules regarding smaller goalie equipment.This will increase scoring and bring even more excitement to the NHL

Decline in Scoring Must Be in Forefront of CBA Discussions

NESN did a whole piece on it last night comparing the NHL to the NBA and MLB. They said they felt a lock out is imminent but will be resolved quickly so as not to disrupt the regular season. Lets hope that's the case.

I know I've put this elsewhere, but I really can't see back to back season interuptus.

i'd be really curious if there is historical data on the next agreement after a strike or lockout, and if there's ever been a shortened or lost season in the next agreement after there just was one.

Major league baseball locked it's players out in '72 and lost 86 games after they couldn't agree on a new CBA. They eventually hammered a new one out in '73. They were locked out again in '76 when the '73 CBA expired but no games were lost. To my knowledge, that's the closest any sport has come to back-to-back lockouts where games were lost.

Everything I've heard and read suggests a lockout could be coming after September 1st, when the current CBA expires. There just isn't a lot of time to get things hammered out before then, unless things step up with respect to negotiations.

Edited by coastal_caniac

On the discipline issue...can someone please work out an agreement for disciplining moronic referees? Peel and VanMassenhoven would be a good start...

Wonder if the alignment issue will be dragged into the new CBA? Additionally I keep hearing about teams getting the ability to kill one contract, don't think the nhlpa will be happy about that idea.

Wonder if the alignment issue will be dragged into the new CBA? Additionally I keep hearing about teams getting the ability to kill one contract, don't think the nhlpa will be happy about that idea.

As far as I am concerned, it has ALREADY been dragged into the CBA. Fehr used it as his warning shot, basically saying the players were not involved and they don't want it due to the imbalanced divisions. He called the owners to task on the proposed realignment.

The weird thing is I don't even think it needed player approval, but Fehr wanted it known that the players wanted a say, and the owners said, "OK, we'll delay." That said, the rumbling by many players was they thought it was OK, etc. Union management is probably no different than *your* management. They sometimes surprise you with their actions.

Anyway, I've read some other really weird ramblings about realignment and the CBA. One musing blogger went on about how he could see Fehr asking for "series" to shorten travel as a bargaining chip with regard to prescription drug use. Stay with me here... I wish I had the article, but it kind of goes like this:

- Prescription drug abuse is a growing issue

- Too much Ambien usage, especially with time zone changes

- Too much travel

- Create "series" of at least 2 games with divisional teams (i.e. visiting team plays at least 2 games within 3 days at same venue)

- This is more like baseball (cough) from Fehr's background

I don't know about that reasoning... Not sure if the owners would like it or not, based on what it could do to attendance. That's the wild card. It would save on travel, so the owners gotta like that. Players probably wouldn't mind staying put for a day or two in one place. Less stress, less need for Amien. As a fan, I wouldn't mind a few series each season. I can see some fans getting turned off, while others like the idea of "revenge" or a "sweep".

One thing is for certain, this would be quite a change for the NHL of recent vintage. It would be more like the current AHL schedule. Adjustments from all perspectives (fans, players, owners) would be required.

Edited by wxray1

The series concept is interesting. I don't think I'd want to have a bunch of them, but I could see 4-5 (primarily with division rivals) as something that might make sense. Sure beats the home-and-home idea, at least for me. It would certainly be an adjustment though.

This whole thing makes me nervous. It already seems that a "crack down" on penalties is in effect. If the plan is to take it up a notch, then we may be in for a rash of even more bad penalties called. I don't like all the baseball references, but the series option may be something to consider. Maybe playing the division rivals more games a year in back-to-back series will be more appealing to fans. I don't know how realigning the divisions will make things more "fair". A salary cap allows the opportunity to be fair. It's up to the owners and GMs to spend the money on players and coaching to level out the playing field.

I'm all about making the greatest game even better, but at what cost? If the end state is more money, then a lockout or strike will only set the league back with attracting new fans. I think hockey is on the up swing and got some strong national attention. They've got to ride the momentum and rope in these new potential fans.

This whole thing makes me nervous. It already seems that a "crack down" on penalties is in effect. If the plan is to take it up a notch, then we may be in for a rash of even more bad penalties called.

Heard the San Jose manager on XM yesterday, and I was confused. He said something like: "We had a GM meeting recently, and I wanted to know what direction the league was going in with regard to play. Teams were doing passive-aggressive and we weren't built that way".

First, I was confused that they had a recent GM meeting. I guess they are preparing for the CBA stuff.

Second, he was implying -- I think -- that their team was being too passive due to fear of quick penalty calls, BUT, the league this year was NOT calling quickly, and they got screwed.

I think that's what he was saying. It was so vague, I was confused. Anyway, it sure sounds like the big boys had a talk about what direction penalty calling will be going next year, and will be part of the mix of the CBA.

Anyone else hear this interview and were you able to read between the lines?

I think youve gotta problem when one team can dominate the regular season and suck in the playoffs. I hope you've got your popcorn ready because if your team was great in the regular season it amounts to a hill of poop when the refs swallow their whistles and all of a sudden your speedsters mean nothing.

I think youve gotta problem when one team can dominate the regular season and suck in the playoffs. I hope you've got your popcorn ready because if your team was great in the regular season it amounts to a hill of poop when the refs swallow their whistles and all of a sudden your speedsters mean nothing.

Yeah, I think that's what he was saying.

And what's really weird is that it seems like in game 6, suddenly they were calling everything.

So, what about the Canes? This team will never be a bunch of big maulers. We need interference to be interference and holding to be holding.

We need some big guys in the line up, except for staal, the height and strength is a issue, the hustle isnt .. I noticed the kings had big guys interpersed [is that spelled right?] probaly not :). through out all 4 lines.. they really hit in the corners, we need more of that... not sure who will supply that..

We need some big guys in the line up, except for staal, the height and strength is a issue, the hustle isnt .. I noticed the kings had big guys interpersed [is that spelled right?] probaly not :). through out all 4 lines.. they really hit in the corners, we need more of that... not sure who will supply that..

Ray Whitney when we sign him. :)

Actually, perhaps this size issue is one reason the Coyotes flamed out.

If a lockout would end with another Stanley Cup, I'd be happy with sitting a year out.

Sadly I don't think lightning would strike twice, so I hope they resolve this and resolve it quickly.

L

I think the owners are mostly content since they got pretty much everything they wanted in the current deal. If there is a work stoppage, it will be because the players are not happy with the status quo.

I think the owners would be happy to rubber stamp the current CBA with maybe a couple of minor tweaks.

Having said that, I would like the NHL to adopt a revenue sharing plan similar to the NFL. A $70 M salary cap is no cap at all, really. All it does is prevent maybe 4 teams from spending at will. 80% of NHL teams won't come anywhere close to violating that number, making it pretty well irrelevant.

Edited by ScottTenorman

I think the owners are mostly content since they got pretty much everything they wanted in the current deal. If there is a work stoppage, it will be because the players are not happy with the status quo.

I think the owners would be happy to rubber stamp the current CBA with maybe a couple of minor tweaks.

Having said that, I would like the NHL to adopt a revenue sharing plan similar to the NFL. A $70 M salary cap is no cap at all, really. All it does is prevent maybe 4 teams from spending at will. 80% of NHL teams won't come anywhere close to violating that number, making it pretty well irrelevant.

Don't forget, it was the owners that file for termination of the existing contract. NHLPA was happy to let it ride. If you can believe half what you read, the biggie here is the revenue sharing and the owners wanto to get a lot closer to 50/50.

The NHLPA and the league will not let this happen. Not only this hurt the fans in 04 but it hurt everybody with tv stations etc loosing a lot in that area. A lot of people will loose jobs. We do not let this happen specially after the NBA and NFL went into a lockout last off season. It will suck in general. We just got a new deal with Fox Sports to show all of our regular season games in 13/14 season don't want to loose that!!!!

TSN

NHL Players Association executive director Don Fehr said Wednesday "the players haven't considered what they would do on Sept. 15 or any other date if no agreement is in place."

If players continue working without a new contract, they would do so under the old pact if both sides in the negotiations agree, Fehr

I hope it doesn't get this far.

ESPN -The NHL and the players' union opened negotiations on a new labor deal Friday by meeting for about 2½ hours.

This was the first formal talks between the two sides. They come after the NHLPA's executive board held a three-day meeting in Chicago earlier this week.

I think the meeting was mostly about how and when to conduct future meetings but at least they are meeting

I think a lockout would be the dumbest thing the NHL could do at this point. Hockey rebounded very well in many US markets and is on the verge of passing MLB in popularity. A lockout at this point would severely damage its popularity in the US, and kill its chances of surpassing MLB.

Oh Boy..here we go. The NHL's first proposal as per PUCK DADDY- Yahoo Sports

1. Reduce players' hockey-related revenues to 46% from 57 %.

2. 10 seasons in the NHL before being eligible for unrestricted free agency.

3. Contracts limited to 5 years.

4. No more salary arbitration.

5. Entry-level contract are 5 years long instead of 3

Oh Boy..here we go. The NHL's first proposal as per PUCK DADDY- Yahoo Sports

1. Reduce players' hockey-related revenues to 46% from 57 %.

2. 10 seasons in the NHL before being eligible for unrestricted free agency.

3. Contracts limited to 5 years.

4. No more salary arbitration.

5. Entry-level contract are 5 years long instead of 3

Seems like a shot right across the bow of the NHLPA.