The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

There ARE issues that must be dealt with in regards to teams that are losing money. Give those teams a deadline to turn the tables and start-making money. If the team fails to do so, pull the plug and let tham flatline.

Slow down there. The Canes are one of those money losing teams.

Actually the biggest pressure source is on the players. The players families will have a strong opinion on the length of any lockout. Living a players lifestyle, bills arriving in the mail, the families start to feel the pinch of living on strike pay. Billionaires have an easier time making their monthlies than your average millionaire.

Love the Canes, but if PK cannot figure out a long term plan of making the Canes successful business, they will go under. The money the team has spent this off-season making, on paper, a stronger team and a stronger box office draw could help ticket sales and increase revenue. The same could be said for the new ticket plans.

The question that needs to be asked is how long can a league support teams that continue to be a revenue drain?

MvsW mentioned a particularly interesting way to reach the NHL in a meaningful way, which is to hit the sponsors.

NHL level: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/04/11/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/NHL-sponsometer.aspx

It is unrealistic to think that the fans will stay away from the game, especially our friendly neighbors to the north, but nothing puts the pressure on like the millions of dollars on the line from sponsors. Interesting if there could be something organized to email bomb not just Gary and Co. but also the sponsors. Interesting idea at least.

Love the Canes, but if PK cannot figure out a long term plan of making the Canes successful business, they will go under. The money the team has spent this off-season making, on paper, a stronger team and a stronger box office draw could help ticket sales and increase revenue. The same could be said for the new ticket plans.

The question that needs to be asked is how long can a league support teams that continue to be a revenue drain?

Your first comment seemed to be to just bury the teams losing if they can't figure out a way to turn it around quickly.

I just think that there is a solution somewhere in the middle of the two sides, and we all know that eventually, that's where it will end up.

Your first comment seemed to be to just bury the teams losing if they can't figure out a way to turn it around quickly. I just think that there is a solution somewhere in the middle of the two sides, and we all know that eventually, that's where it will end up

Not what I mean at all. I believe with the open pocketbook PK has done in signing key players to long-term deals and bringing players such as Semin and J. Staal he has indicated a commitment to put a playoff contender on the ice. Having Muller as a coach that plays an up-tempo style over Mo’s dump and chase will draw fans to the arena.

My concern is first with the Canes and secondly with the financial soundness of the league itself. I believe a deal that benefits both sides can be worked out. The problem is that such a deal requires time. What I don’t understand is the immediacy of the owners’ position. How much money do they lose by playing with the existing CBA versus how much do they lose by having a lengthy lockout?

MvsW mentioned a particularly interesting way to reach the NHL in a meaningful way, which is to hit the sponsors.

NHL level: http://www.sportsbus...ponsometer.aspx

It is unrealistic to think that the fans will stay away from the game, especially our friendly neighbors to the north, but nothing puts the pressure on like the millions of dollars on the line from sponsors. Interesting if there could be something organized to email bomb not just Gary and Co. but also the sponsors. Interesting idea at least.

guinness-brilliant.jpg

That would definitely make a statement to the league but it also may chase away potential investors or keep others from re-upping.

Our members opinions on the CBA situation won't change. It's useless debating the sides.

I'm hoping the owners pony up a counter proposal tomorrow. Something to raise the eyebrows of the Fehr posee. Yo.

Our members opinions on the CBA situation won't change. It's useless debating the sides.

I'm hoping the owners pony up a counter proposal tomorrow. Something to raise the eyebrows of the Fehr posee. Yo.

Useless debate is about all we have this time of the summer :deadhorse:

The principles met today for 45 minutes. The Fehrs said the needed to consult with players and they may meet again today. That leads me to believe that something new came out of the brief meeting.

Back to :deadhorse:

Update: They met again for a brief time this afternoon. Fehr confirmed that the league made another proposal, but no specifics were given.

Please continue with the :deadhorse:

Edited by super_dave_1

It appears the two sides are talking "turkey". I don't want to jump back on the emotional roller coaster just yet and will instead just sit back and see what the two sides say next. But it has to be encouraging they are making counter-proposals.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said it was a counterproposal to the one the NHLPA unveiled earlier this month. Bettman said the latest one included "meaningful" movement and addressed core economic issues
"It's a proposal we intend to respond to," Fehr said.

ESPN - NHL issues proposal to players

It has to be encouraging they are making counter-proposals, doesn't it?

x

It appears the two sides are talking "turkey". I don't want to jump back on the emotional roller coaster just yet and will instead just sit back and see what the two sides say next. But it has to be encouraging they are making counter-proposals.

ESPN - NHL issues proposal to players

It has to be encouraging they are making counter-proposals, doesn't it?

x

Kind of hard to say at this point. All I hear is a lot of lip service and see no real movement.

Kind of hard to say at this point. All I hear is a lot of lip service and see no real movement.

There is always jockeying for position and propaganda wars from each side. But at least it is a counter proposal to the NHLPA proposal from what I'm reading. It does sound like the NHL has made a substantive change is their original position. The question remains is it a position change the NHLPA can accept of build on as negotiations continue. But yes it is just talk until something is agreed upon.

According to NESN, revenue sharing was a big part of the talks today and is a huge sticking point. Sounds like there is some hope coming out of the talks OBXer.

I have to believe the players and owners know (or, should know) the damage an extended lockout will do and will to their best to start the season on time

So much for optimism.

Tim Panaccio@tpanotchCSN union source: NHL moved some things around but it is "basically the same" proposal as before and won't fly

I guess will have to see what the PA counters with.

See, lip service with no movement :(

See, lip service with no movement :(

Yup. Let us hope tomorrow brings better news.

Yup. Let us hope tomorrow brings better news.

according to a story on nhl.com, the parties plan to meet through Friday. Let's hope for some good news by the weekend

In the end, I think the owners will get their 50/50 share of revenue. That writing was on the wall when the NFL and NBA got theirs. It's up to the NHLPA to find an equitable middle ground to move this forward. I'm hoping some progress is being made.