The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

The Canes' front office is doing all it can regarding the labor uncertainty. My guess is that as games are 'lost', fans will be given the option of a refund or a credit to a future game. Right now, my feelings aren't toward the playrs or PK but towards those who stand a chance of losing their jobs in a rotten economy/

My blood is starting to boil.

We're watching grown men (or should I say "guys", "dudes", "males" -- see other thread) that are all holding their breath and turning red, stomping their feet in a tantrum. We're supposed to sit around and watch to see if they pass out.

Despicable.

I'm just about ready to delink my life from this league and just check out until someone wakes me up when this nightmare is over.

The wife and I did agree tonight, however, that if this whole season is gone, then we are done with the league. She's won me over on that concept. I think by spring I won't care anymore, especially with the new found $1000s in my pocket.

Here ya go wxray1, a little optimism....

MacLean: No NHL lockout in 2012 - CBS Sports

All Bettman is after in this negotiation is to do what both the NFL and NBA did and trim the players’ percentage of revenues. With the wonderful growth since the last CBA, the players now earn 57 per cent of hockey-related revenues (HRR) and have been getting larger absolute dollar amounts.

Fehr has been in precisely this position many times at the MLBPA. Every time the PA stood its ground, there was never a lockout. The wildcard would be player solidarity. Fehr will keep them in check, and Bettman will make a deal.

Edited by TSA

Here ya go wxray1, a little optimism....

MacLean: No NHL lockout in 2012 - CBS Sports

Thanks for the article, TSA. But I find his logic confusing. Remember, this is Bettman and Fehr, two of the most <term deleted> "negotiators" on earth. They've dug in.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've been watching this stuff too close, and perhaps wasting too many brain cells on worrying about this. :screwy:

There's not much we can do about this, so dissecting it and worrying about it is probably just a waste of time. Yet I'm still doing it. I'm just thinking of giving it a rest while the "boys" (is that a bad term?) work out their differences after they run out of breath.

Edited by wxray1

Right on! This is not about the STHs (me included). Obviously we're doing ok if we're buying STs. This is really about Joe Beer Hawker and Sally nacho girl. These people are being hung out to dry and it stinks.

The Canes and the NHL will not make up the lost revenue of these hard-working people and that's what this is really about. This whole situation nauseates me. While I'm pro-capitalism, it doesn't take much to realize that both the owners and players are making themselves look like real bu**heads when compared to the part-time workers that make their organizations run efficiently and are going to experience real hardships due to this mess.

I wont give up my tickets if a lockout occurs. I want to enjoy myself (selfish, I know). However, this is also about supporting the people that make going to PNC Arena a top-notch experience each and every time. They deserve better than this. I urge other STHs on the board to keep their tickets. It's not about caving to Bettman or the league. It's about our community and supporting the people that we live with in this area. Sports has to take a back seat to people and their ability to support themselves and their families.

Hoping against hope that these insanely rich people come to their senses and avoid all of this.

The Canes' front office is doing all it can regarding the labor uncertainty. My guess is that as games are 'lost', fans will be given the option of a refund or a credit to a future game. Right now, my feelings aren't toward the playrs or PK but towards those who stand a chance of losing their jobs in a rotten economy/

While I'm pro-capitalism

So am I. But is the concept of revenue sharing a capitalistic term? What about a salary cap/floor? Shouldn't an NHL (or any pro team for that matter) team be allowed to rise or fall on its merits?

The root of the matter is "pure" capitalism doesn't really exist. And that is topic for another web site. Whatever is done, I want to be for the long term (10 plus years) for the league as a whole.

Owners and NHLPA have set a new standard for All Time Stupid.

STH for 10 years, but, even if resolved, I've had enough of this baloney.

I'm done.

Hopefully we're all jumping the gun and it will get resolved without losing any real games. I'm not confident about that, but it's possible.

I find robbie's comment interesting. The lockout has not even happened yet and he's bailing out after 10 years? Hopefully he has good seats that someone else will want to snap up.

Sadly, Bettman is right when he says that the fans will come back even if the entire season is lost. The notion of a true fan backlash wont apply to the NHL as it did to MLB. Hockey is not baseball. There's plenty to do between April and October. There's not much to do here between November and March, unless you're a big college hoops fan. Hockey will always have a captive fan base here. Too many transplants. This team has not been good the last three years and yet 15-17k people show up for every game. I dont see that changing even if there is a prolonged lockout.

Sadly, Bettman is right when he says that the fans will come back even if the entire season is lost. The notion of a true fan backlash wont apply to the NHL as it did to MLB.

Could be true for the majority, but not for me, and others.

A FULL season will sink it for me. We're done if that happens. Done. Too much. I can't rely on this league and invest time, money and emotion in it if this is going to happen every 4 to 7 years.

I'm already trying to think about what to do, what I used to do when I lived in S. Florida in the 80s where there was nothing but the Dolphins. Oh yeah, I got outside, read a bunch of books, went to movies. All sounds good for this winter.

And to show I'm serious, this is my last post and log on to this board until the lock out is done and the season is restored. I'm off. If it lasts all season, then this is my last post forever. I'm preparing for the worst, and part of that is to delink myself from this selfish league for a while.

Hope to see you soon... Really hoping for the best, but bye for now... or perhaps forever.

Edited by wxray1

A FULL season will sink it for me. We're done if that happens. Done. Too much. I can't rely on this league and invest time, money and emotion in it if this is going to happen every 4 to 7 years.

I'm already trying to think about what to do, what I used to do when I lived in S. Florida in the 80s where there was nothing but the Dolphins. Oh yeah, I got outside, read a bunch of books, went to movies. All sounds good for this winter.

And to show I'm serious, this is my last post and log on to this board until the lock out is done and the season is restored. I'm off. If it lasts all season, then this is my last post forever. I'm preparing for the worst, and part of that is to delink myself from this selfish league for a while.

Hope to see you soon... Really hoping for the best, but bye for now... or perhaps forever.

I am not ready to give up on the league, but I agree with most of your post. Let me know when this is resolved. Until then, I'm done.

Understood. I'm quite unhappy as well. It's extra painful now that I got the seats that I finally wanted and the team looked good on paper at least. Team mgmt had better make it super attractive for folks to let them keep their money if it's prolonged, or else they could lose a fair amount of people.

As with most STHs, my wife and I bust our butts for our family and this is one of the few luxuries we can afford. It costs about as much to go on a week-long cruise and that just doesn't cut it compared to 41 games over 6+ months.

I'm done on here too until there's real progress to comment on.

I think if owners and players are wise they should take note of fan comments like the ones posted above. There are always unforeseen consequences in labor actions like this. I detect a difference in the fan feelings this time from the last strike. More resolve than anger. We don't want to be taken for granted. I think the league can survive a short lockout but I'm not sure what the consequences will be for a extended lockout. I suspect that Bettman's cavalier statement," the fans will be back" might come back to haunt him.

I'm in for the long haul but even that has limits.

Another thing that must be taken into consideration is the economy is in far worse shape than it was during previous lockouts. Disposable income is scarcer. Money for little luxuries in life have to be spent on things such as food/fuel. Both sides need to be made aware that going to hockey games Is not a necessity in life

The Canes FO said that this was one of the best season tickets sales in years ($10 seats dont hurt). Apparently many people have the income to handle the cost. I think the bigger issue is if it is prolonged or we lose the season, how many people will have found other ways to spend that spare money? Will they decide that taking a cruise is better or that maybe a week in Vegas was more fun? You get the idea. Not everyone in the country is out of work or broke. Many people still have disposable income. The potential problem for the teams is once the STH cycle is broken, how many wont come back because they decided there was better ways to spend that spare coin?

Another thing that must be taken into consideration is the economy is in far worse shape than it was during previous lockouts. Disposable income is scarcer. Money for little luxuries in life have to be spent on things such as food/fuel. Both sides need to be made aware that going to hockey games Is not a necessity in life

wxray, hope u dont leave, ur insight will be missed, as well as you.

You know, I was looking forward to this year more then any other year. I was debating about buying a ticket package even though I live toward Greensboro but I'm really sick of this mess.

The last lockout, I was with the owners and liked what came from those debates but this year really does make me sick with some of the demands the owners are asking. My hatred of it all stems from the high market teams making those outrageous contract offers that circumvent the cba they created in the first place. The owners really put themselves in this position in the first place. I don't see why the shares can't be 50-50 and work from there.

I'm a huge jersey collector and the NHL has already started ruining the authentic jersey market by passing off Indonesian made "authentic" jerseys. They are charging the same amount they were for the Canadian made jerseys and are using crappier materials so I have stopped putting my money into the NHl as far as jerseys go.

I was already planning on jumping headfirst into the football season with the Panthers and this just puts Hockey further on the back burner.

Edited by MarlinsCanesCop86

SB NATION

The NHL and the Players Association are set to resume CBA talks, according to a Tweet from Chris Johnson of The Canadian Press.
Johnson also spoke to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. When asked about a Sept. 21 start date for training camps, Daly said, "I think it's becoming unlikely"

Think the way the Canes sold the upper bowl and the to eight rows in the lower bowl, combined with all the signings made for a desirable product. Times are tough but we aren’t Detroit.

I spend some – perhaps too much – time looking at the message boards from other teams and TSN. It seems that most people are looking at Jan, 1 start date for the season

If I were a player, I'd do a simple math problem.

Say I make 4 million a year. If I lose this season due to a lockout, I've lost 4 million dollars (minus the chump change of the escrow payment and lockout "fund"). And say I have 4 more years left to play in my career (average hockey career is around 6 years). So losing this season means I'll have 3 years left where I'll make my 4 million dollar salary. Now, if I average in the 4 million I lost to this lockout season over the remaining 3 years of my career, I've taken a 33% pay loss. This is MUCH worse than what the owners are currently offering.

The players don't seem to be thinking about how much losing an entire season will affect them financially. They're not seeing the forest for the trees.

I'm not taking a side on this ridiculous matter, but in any business, the owner's always have the upper hand, and that's exactly how this will eventually play out. So the players need to take a long, hard look at what losing a season will do to them financially, or else their wives who pay the bills need to.

Finally, whenever this comes to an end, I think at the first regular season game, after the National Anthem(s)are complete, the fans should ALL leave their seats and head up the aisles to the concourse for the first five minutes of the game. This could be the fan's 'silent protest' that the players (and owners) will surely notice.

Toronto Sun

There seems to be more work being done to prepare for a lockout than to prevent one.

This is more opinion than fact but unless they start talking again soon training camp won't start on time.

I really hate to say it because the words "smart" and "Eklund" seem impossible to put together but that's a interesting perspective on the situation.

Rather then the usual, that guys an idiot.

I really hate to say it because the words "smart" and "Eklund" seem impossible to put together but that's a interesting perspective on the situation.

Rather then the usual, that guys an idiot.

Just finished reading that article and found some others which I read. I think you hit the nail on the head. The only other thing would be one more word before idiot.

Edited by winger52