The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

I wouldn't call it cynical as much as I'd call it being realistic. NBC has a huge investment in the NHL and I'm sure they'd love to see all the big stars in all the big TV markets and of course it would be a nightmare to have small market teams in the finals or even worse yet, a small market team vs a Canadian team :o (see Carolina vs. Edmonton).

I'm sure NBC can use its "influence" to put pressure on whichever side best interests them but maybe I'm naive, I don't see how they could pick actual sides between the players and owners. They need the players to market their investment and they need the owners to keep the players in business.

Oh I agree and I don't see a devious Star Chamber where NBC is deciding the outcome. Anything they do to influence the outcome would be in the background and very subtle. My point is they may be more than willing to sit back even if it means the entire loss of a programming season. Especially if they believe the final outcome will benefit their interest. So in answer to your original question perhaps the NBC execs and lawyers interests are better served not to pressure the NHL to settle the strike quickly.

In the end it will be the owners and players that settle this and not outside pressure. The outside interests including TV will deal with whatever is decided.

You make perfect sense to me but unfortunately neither of our opinions mean anything to the NHLPA, NBC or the NHL.

You make perfect sense to me but unfortunately neither of our opinions mean anything to the NHLPA, NBC or the NHL.

Very True. The only opinion that counts is the one when Bettman and Fehr put a signature on a paper and say we have a deal we can live with.

You guys might find it interesting to know that Comcast has major stake in NBC and also owns the Flyers. So I think NBC's influence could be pretty strong if they want it to be.

Isn't the huge TV contract given by NBC at the center of all the new revenue? I would think that NBC and their lawyers might have a big say in how long this may go on for.

Not sure what this means but most of the games up to the Winter Classic are on NBC Sports network. Don't know what impact the Canadian networks have with the league. How much did they contribute to the revenue pot?

I'm not angry, I'm just sad. There is no reason the negotiation (or lack of) should have reached this point. Instead of posturing the two sides should be negotiating, instead of trying to win they should be trying to find an agreement that is good for hockey. They haven't even agreed which proposal they are negotiating and now even those are off the table.

I'm not taking sides but I do blame Bettman for the tone of the meetings (or lack there of) and a hardball attitude that brought us to this point. The owners IMO could win the battle but lose the war. If they do lose the war the players lose too because the NHL they have become accustomed to might not be there in the future.

Nothing good can come of this...nothing,

"Nothing good can come of this...nothing,"

Hear hear ....and also a +1 to the previous erudite post "Well this sucks" ...... says it all really ...

I'm not angry, I'm just sad. There is no reason the negotiation (or lack of) should have reached this point. Instead of posturing the two sides should be negotiating, instead of trying to win they should be trying to find an agreement that is good for hockey. They haven't even agreed which proposal they are negotiating and now even those are off the table.

I'm not taking sides but I do blame Bettman for the tone of the meetings (or lack there of) and a hardball attitude that brought us to this point. The owners IMO could win the battle but lose the war. If they do lose the war the players lose too because the NHL they have become accustomed to might not be there in the future.

Nothing good can come of this...nothing,

"Nothing good can come of this...nothing,"

Hear hear ....and also a +1 to the previous erudite post "Well this sucks" ...... says it all really ...

Edited by sipower

I don't see any real incentive for the players to want to get a deal done until about the end of the month at the earliest. They don't lose any money at all during the pre-season. Owners will have to return some ticket money during this time. If we believe the economics that have been reported, half of the teams are losing money. That being the case, then at least half of the owners should be willing to see this thing out as long as it takes. They will be making money by not playing games.

I know there is more to sports than money, but collective bargaining is all about money and not about sports.

So I notice on the "home page" there is a message from the NHL-where is the message from the fans? Here is my message-I have to agree with an earlier post-"Well this sucks" not to mention I too am in the anger stage...and getting my email from the Canes didn't help matters. Thanks for the 3% but what I really expected was for you to make a deal so I could come watch some hockey...

- How many here think this lock out may actually hurt the league as far as fans go? It was very difficult for me to come up with that money (as I'm sure it was for others)While they are busy playing "who wants to be a billionaire" I just may come to my senses and find other "needs" for that money.

Owners- :lalalai: Players- :lalalai: Nothing Good Can Come From This :kleenex:

Love how that 3% can be applied to ADDITIONAL tickets this season or toward your RENEWAL for 2013-2014...Nice how they just assume that everyone will still want their product by the time they honor us with offering it again!

The Wild apparently are offering their STH 10% interest...guess they are afraid of losing all their new STH:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/48464-Minnesota-Wild-offer-season-ticket-holders-10-per-cent-interest-to-keep-account-during-lockout.html

Edited by caneswincup

Been a STH for 12 years since the Canes came to Raleigh. I was pretty disgusted at the email from Kyle. I told my wife if the season doesn't start on time to go get a refund and we'll use that money for great vacation somewhere. I don't need this aggravation. There are plenty of other things we can spend our money on for entertainment. Everything is about the players and the owners; nothing about the fans who pay their way.

Anyone else ask for a refund yet?

Call me a cynic but my guess is the Canes front office is hanging on the STH's $ as long as possible until it is clear there isn't going to be a season. All the work the Canes have done to build a fan base is about to melt away

I don't like the fact that the 3% has to go towards next year or more tickets this year. I know its pretty standard based off of what other teams are doing, but let me get that interest in cash if my money is going into your pocket book, or give me more options. I haven't made up my mind yet, but because of the limited games I can go to due to my schedule I will be looking for a refund if things don't clear up. I can take that money and put it into a bank and gain interest too and do with it what I will. My first foray into season ticket ownership has not been very pleasant... :lockdance:

Edited by Ichigo-1

If we believe the economics that have been reported, half of the teams are losing money. That being the case, then at least half of the owners should be willing to see this thing out as long as it takes. They will be making money by not playing games.

I doubt many will be in the position to actually make money by not playing. There are still expenses without player and game costs. And not only will ticket revenue be lost, but a lot of other revenue streams will be smaller. Given that they are losing money anyway, and can hope to change that by holding out, that may be okay with them. But the ones losing money are the ones least able to afford to alienate the fans, so they have that to worry about as well.

Call me a cynic but my guess is the Canes front office is hanging on the STH's $ as long as possible until it is clear there isn't going to be a season. All the work the Canes have done to build a fan base is about to melt away

They haven't not provided the product you paid for yet. When the first pre season games are missed, things will change. When the first regular season games come and go, I would think the Canes will have to put a new plan in place with other options. This is just their first offer to help keep people on board while nothing has been lost yet.

You're right though colliefan, the Canes will be one of the franchises that will take a big hit if this goes on too long. What a shame.

I don't like the fact that the 3% has to go towards next year or more tickets this year. I know its pretty standard based off of what other teams are doing, but let me get that interest in cash if my money is going into your pocket book, or give me more options. I haven't made up my mind yet, but because of the limited games I can go to due to my schedule I will be looking for a refund if things don't clear up. I can take that money and put it into a bank and gain interest too and do with it what I will. My first foray into season ticket ownership has not been very pleasant... :lockdance:

Here is an idea for you. Call your ticket rep and ask what happens to the 3% you earn if you don't buy tickets, playoff tickets or tickets next year. Then figure how many real dollars you would get for your money if the strike lasts until next season. If you then walk away and don't get that free money is it a deal breaker? The better question would be can you put the money to the balance you owe on this seasons tickets when they start playing again. I know every dollar helps, but realistically we are talking small change.

Just talked to a co-worker whose daughter works at the RBC, upper management has all taken pay cuts to avoid any layoffs at the RBC.

At least our management can stay classy.

If it is true the top management has taken pay cuts to keep the organizations employees working it is a classy move.

Been a STH for 12 years since the Canes came to Raleigh. I was pretty disgusted at the email from Kyle. I told my wife if the season doesn't start on time to go get a refund and we'll use that money for great vacation somewhere. I don't need this aggravation. There are plenty of other things we can spend our money on for entertainment. Everything is about the players and the owners; nothing about the fans who pay their way.

Anyone else ask for a refund yet?

I haven't asked for a refund yet but I told my wife that if the season is delayed for long or cancelled altogether I'll get a refund and we won't be back. I simply won't give my money to stupid people. Owners and players alike. Bettman is not a commissioner, he's a puppet for the owners. 3 lockouts during his 19 year tenure??? That's not managing a league, that's just pitiful.

It all stinks, and it does make me ill a bit, but I'm not going to get my panties all wadded up just yet. I'll wait until we miss a regular season game to get panty waddy.

Highlights form John Forslund's interview on 99.9TheFan:

• October 1st is the critical date that will decide where this is ultimately heading
  • players usually don't win in these situations
  • Canes have made it so there will be no layoffs of full time employees in the organization due to the lock out
  • John Forslund's biggest concern is for the fans and their longevity as loyal fans to the NHL
  • There is still plenty of time to get a deal done, training camp does not put enough pressure the parties involved
  • Both sides are so dug in about what's right and wrong, not sure they'll be able to see past it and make a deal
  • NHLPA is prepared and players will receive a check to supplement their loss of income
  • TV rights are still paid regardless of lockout, owners have more of a luxury to wait it out
  • Player forfeit any rights to the club during lockout. Meaning they have no access to equipment, medical care, coaching or anything provided by the team
  • NHL or player sponsored charities (Kids N' Community) also suffer greatly

EDIT:

John Forslund audio from the David Glenn Show on 99.9TheFan - **Hour 2 / interview starts around the 16:00 minute mark

Thanks TSA, always good to hear from Forslund. Really stinks about the charities. So much collateral damage.

I am still betting on reason prevailing as the real deadlines hit.

The Canes have so much to lose (unless there is revenue sharing as a result).

For the first off season after the cup win, they have sooo much momentum going. Pretty much everything is looking up for a big increase in ticket sales, except...no games.

Argggggh.

Still betting on short lock out.

As I understand it, players will receive their escrow checks containing 20% of last year’s pay the first week in October. This should last each player into the first of the year, after this date we could see a serious return to the bargaining table.

Looks like the NHL held true to the threat of taking all player images down from their websites. According to Jim Ralph (color guy), the next threat is to block FaceBook pages.

Since we're an NHL owned message board/website, maybe we should start giving out warnings to anyone who posts images of any players? Better yet, we'll have to ban any member who even mentions a player's name.

:sarcasmalert:

I remember the last lockout. There was always a new magic date to reach an agreement. The dates always came and went. Then, there was a final magic date that, if passed, would cancel the season. That was a couple of months into the season. By that time, I had lost total interest and hoped there would be no resolution. I wasn't going to deal with a half a season. I will be gone if this is not resolved by opening day. There will be no roller coaster for me this time around.

Looks like the NHL held true to the threat of taking all player images down from their websites. According to Jim Ralph (color guy), the next threat is to block FaceBook pages.

Since we're an NHL owned message board/website, maybe we should start giving out warnings to anyone who posts images of any players? Better yet, we'll have to ban any member who even mentions a player's name.

:sarcasmalert:

Do you know what the player formerly know as Eric Staal plans to do during the lockout?

Staal%20shoots_zps268cafc5.jpg