The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

No counter proposal at today's meeting described as cordial.USA TODAY

Fehr said the NHLPA would submit a proposal at the appropriate time. He did not specify when that would be.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said the league's offer last week was a serious proposal.
The two sides will meet again Thursday and Friday in New York. They are also scheduled to meet next week in Toronto at the NHLPA offices.

x

I've switched sides. GO PLAYERS! Give 'em hell! Get what you can.

Hearing about this 14 year, $100M RFA offer from Philly to Webber pushed me over the edge. I'm sick and tired of these hypocritical owner/gm bozos. They constantly need protection from themselves. What a crock of garbage.

As it is, with Philly pulling this stunt, and all the other goings-ons by the big boys, we small market teams are totally screwed.

If I were a player, I'd be gunning for whatever I can get. Not sure how long this ride will last. Might as well.

As it is, with Philly pulling this stunt, and all the other goings-ons by the big boys, we small market teams are totally screwed.

don't believe the "big boys" have the good of the game as a major factor, believe they would rather the small markets go away: less hands to distribute the revenue sharing $

don't believe the "big boys" have the good of the game as a major factor, believe they would rather the small markets go away: less hands to distribute the revenue sharing $

I assume you include Bettman among the "big boys"---(and I don't like him mutch)---but he seems pretty intent on

protecting/supporting the smaller markets that make up the 30 teams. (ie--trying to hang on to the Phoenix

franchise and keeping it there, giving us the ASG and the draft as a young franchise etc.)

But maybe you are thinking of "the big boys" as the larger franchises. If so, maybe they don't care as much. But

it would seem that the wider development of the sport would benefit all revenues.

In the meetings this week the players assn. hasn't counter-offered yet, apparently. Bettman has set Sept 15 as

the target for a deal. Think they will make it ?

But maybe you are thinking of "the big boys" as the larger franchises. If so, maybe they don't care as much. But

it would seem that the wider development of the sport would benefit all revenues.

don't think the "original six" have much love for the other 24 franchises. but a rising tide floats all boats.

I'm hoping that whatever the new CBA looks like, it at least addresses these crazy long-term deals that are horribly structured. You look at Parise/Suter's deals and they are making something like $12M in the first year or two, but because it's stretched out over an obscene length of time the cap hit is $7M.

I'd like to see the salary cap structure so that what the player makes in a given season is the cap hit for that season.

Well, I've often said there are too many teams in the NHL, but if contraction were to happen, would Carolina be targetted?

First targets would be teams having financial troubles, ie: Phoenix and New Jersey, Then teams that are losing money and therefore could potentially have financial troubles, ie: Carolina, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, San Jose, Minnesota. etc.

Well, I've often said there are too many teams in the NHL, but if contraction were to happen, would Carolina be targetted?

Last year the Canes ranked 22nd in the league in total attendance (16042 per game) and 26th in the league in percentage of seats sold in the arena (85.9%). I think if you consider those numbers,the Canes would be in the conversation of being targeted for contraction. I think we'd be on the bubble. Phoenix, Dallas, NYI, and Columbus are the bottom 4 teams in both of those attendance categories. I think that would have to be the starting point, but the Canes certainly don't have a lot of distance on those teams.

Edited by super_dave_1

The more think about it, I would seriously think any clubs on this list that have won Cups would be spared. Therefore only Phoenix and Columbus would be in jeopardy. I was told recently by a friend out on Long Island the NHL will very likely not allow the Islanders to fold or leave Long Island because of their Cup history. Since the Canes and Avs have also won Cups, I would think we'd be safe. I was not aware Minnesota and San Jose were losing money, and I thought the Stars recently got new owners that would bring them stability too. Plus Dallas has also won the Cup.

Last year the Canes ranked 22nd in the league in total attendance (16042 per game) and 26th in the league in percentage of seats sold in the arena (85.9%).

That's going to change this year. This team is going to see a nice rise in ticket sales now, and if they have a strong start it will build. El Cheapo has retired. This team is going to be fun to watch and it's going to build right into the playoffs. Add Raleigh's projected growth (alot from transplanted hockey fans). I think we're good.

According to JR in his press conference on signing Semin, season ticket sales are at an all time high, and we are going into the period where they normally sell a good many more.

I agree, the Canes have picked a great time to set El-Cheapo by the side of the road in favor of building on the momentum created after Captain Kirk was signed last year and an off season that by any measure should be the best the franchise has ever seen.

According to JR in his press conference on signing Semin, season ticket sales are at an all time high, ...

I'm surprised by this and think it is marketing, unless the Fan Zone has been so popular that total packages of all types is what he means.

Several posters commented on the Semin signing that they're interested in buying/returning. With S-A-S completed, what happens to a fan who cancelled (or failed to place a deposit) and now changes his/her mind? Lost their seat (if full sth), etc.? Any feel for consequences?

This will keep somebody up late

NHL Players' Association executive director Don Fehr said he can't make a counterproposal on the league's full package, which included a decrease in hockey-related revenue, term limits on contracts and a 22 percent salary rollback, until his group receives and examines requested team financial reports. The first batch - 76,000 pages - arrived late Monday night.

more @yahoo sports

x

due to the uncertainty around the CBA, DirecTV just sent a mailing to all Center Ice subscribers informing them they will not start billing them until an agreement between the two parties has been signed.

Last year the Canes ranked 22nd in the league in total attendance (16042 per game) and 26th in the league in percentage of seats sold in the arena (85.9%). I think if you consider those numbers,the Canes would be in the conversation of being targeted for contraction. I think we'd be on the bubble. Phoenix, Dallas, NYI, and Columbus are the bottom 4 teams in both of those attendance categories. I think that would have to be the starting point, but the Canes certainly don't have a lot of distance on those teams.

Hmmmmm, interesting stats there. The Carolina Hurricanes are selling 16,042 seats per game. Super, that is really pretty damned amazing. The percentage of seats sold, to me means nothing other than that we have a big house. Last year was not one of the better years and people all over were saying that the team would suffer at the gate. Didn't happen. If you read the articles, we are usually considered one of the few true success stories of the NHL in the southern expansion. I think that last years great (yeah I said it) attendance numbers are the reason that Mr Karmanos has decided to open up his wallet. This team is not going anywhere.

due to the uncertainty around the CBA, DirecTV just sent a mailing to all Center Ice subscribers informing them they will not start billing them until an agreement between the two parties has been signed.

Smart idea to be preemptive since they ended up giving away the CI package for free to most people the year of the Versus debacle. They already pretty much give away or at least cut in half the NFL package to those that request it so I doubt they're willing to risk another lost season to the NHL too.

Hmmmmm, interesting stats there. The Carolina Hurricanes are selling 16,042 seats per game. Super, that is really pretty damned amazing. The percentage of seats sold, to me means nothing other than that we have a big house. Last year was not one of the better years and people all over were saying that the team would suffer at the gate. Didn't happen. If you read the articles, we are usually considered one of the few true success stories of the NHL in the southern expansion. I think that last years great (yeah I said it) attendance numbers are the reason that Mr Karmanos has decided to open up his wallet. This team is not going anywhere.

I hope you are right, and I agree about the Canes being a southern success story. What I was referring to was in response to a post or a linked article or something that was suggesting 5 or 6 teams be contracted. If that was the case (as I said in my post)I think the Canes would be safe, but they would be in the conversation. If the decision was made to shrink the league by 6 teams, don't you think total attendance would factor in?

This will probably fix itself this year with the changes in the team and I expect more excitement and ticket sales. What really builds the fanbase is when fans take non-hockey fans to games and give them the game experience.

... suggesting 5 or 6 teams be contracted. If that was the case (as I said in my post)I think the Canes would be safe, but they would be in the conversation. If the decision was made to shrink the league by 6 teams, don't you think total attendance would factor in?

If the league is looking at up to 6 teams then we would have to at least look over our shoulder.

In that case PK and JR pushed in at just the right time (assuming there's hockey sometime soon). I know we on these boards are not exactly your average Raleigh resident in terms of excitement about hockey. And feeling the excitement here doesn't necessarily translate to ticket sales. But...

We got the cup in 06 and that really helped form a solid base of intense fans (like us). Then we made a deep run a few years later probably got a few more. In between the area has grown, and the growth is a lot of northern transplants that have some awareness of hockey.

We have gone through a couple years of more misses than hits and el cheapo, including a recycled coach. We have held our own through that attendance-wise and on the team level managed to form a pretty good core of players.

But this offseason will change everything. That's my prediction. All those people who come out and give us 16,042 sold seats per game are going to be various levels of pumped up for this year. Those, like us on this board are drooling right now. We'll tell two friends and they'll tell two friends and so on and so on...

The next level will be the on ice product. This team is going to be fun to watch. Semin and Skinner alone can be worth the price. As word of that gets out....next will be if we start winning. I have non hockey people ask me all the time "Are the Canes any good this year?" When they are good more people will get out there. Finally the playoffs, especially if we open at home will bring it home. Not only the intense next level hockey and excitement, but tying it into the memory of the past playoffs and cup.

Winning and playoffs and fun hockey are short term keys. Long term population growth metrics will be key.

No doubt if the NHL is going to make a list of 10 teams of which to pick 5 or 6, we need to check our mirror. So long as they do it AFTER this year, I think we make the cut.

I don't know where this talk of NHL "contraction" came from. Does anybody really think the NHL is going to give up 6 television markets by eliminating teams? Does anybody think with Seattle, Quebec, 2 sites in Ontario, Kansas City, Las Vegas and even Hartford all being mentioned as sites for relocation or expansion this league is going to become smaller?

We will see teams move in the next few years but we won't see less teams. Nobody should confuse Carolina or Nashville NHL markets with Atlanta. The Canes are in Raleigh for a long time.

If the league is looking at up to 6 teams then we would have to at least look over our shoulder.

In that case PK and JR pushed in at just the right time (assuming there's hockey sometime soon). I know we on these boards are not exactly your average Raleigh resident in terms of excitement about hockey. And feeling the excitement here doesn't necessarily translate to ticket sales. But...

We got the cup in 06 and that really helped form a solid base of intense fans (like us). Then we made a deep run a few years later probably got a few more. In between the area has grown, and the growth is a lot of northern transplants that have some awareness of hockey.

We have gone through a couple years of more misses than hits and el cheapo, including a recycled coach. We have held our own through that attendance-wise and on the team level managed to form a pretty good core of players.

But this offseason will change everything. That's my prediction. All those people who come out and give us 16,042 sold seats per game are going to be various levels of pumped up for this year. Those, like us on this board are drooling right now. We'll tell two friends and they'll tell two friends and so on and so on...

The next level will be the on ice product. This team is going to be fun to watch. Semin and Skinner alone can be worth the price. As word of that gets out....next will be if we start winning. I have non hockey people ask me all the time "Are the Canes any good this year?" When they are good more people will get out there. Finally the playoffs, especially if we open at home will bring it home. Not only the intense next level hockey and excitement, but tying it into the memory of the past playoffs and cup.

Winning and playoffs and fun hockey are short term keys. Long term population growth metrics will be key.

No doubt if the NHL is going to make a list of 10 teams of which to pick 5 or 6, we need to check our mirror. So long as they do it AFTER this year, I think we make the cut.

Besides attendance there is profitability too. Not sure what the balance sheet has looked like the past couple of years; but I remember back when the Canes went to the Conference finals somebody saying they usually only make a profit if they get to the 2nd round of the Playoffs.

Of course, NJ seems to have financial problems too. Wonder if any of the bottom 4 or 5 teams in attendance make a profit. I really hope there's no real talk of contraction at the CBA. I'd rather see moving teams to better markets in the same geographic region, ie: Phoenix to Seattle, etc.