The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

Simply have to agree to disagree.

My seat in 130 costs me $66 per game for the 26 game plan. So this gives me a discount of $6.60 per game. This does not cover the $7 brat at the Sausage Stop.

Have about $1.000 towards the $1700 season cost for the seat in my account At 5% simple interest I get $50, This provides parking for 7 games. Tell me again why I should be grateful for this discount?

Because otherwise you would be paying full price? :applause:

Edited by MarlinsCanesCop86

Tell me again why I should be grateful for this discount?

No, I don't think I will, cause I wasn't telling you to begin with. :hockey:

I'll take my $500 and take Legend to a game or three.

Is it just me or is there light at the end of the tunnel after today ... jeez I hope so ... Baseball is crud and nobody cares, NFL continues its dominance on tv .. there is just this huge gap waiting to be filled by an attractive, reasonably priced option ... now if only we could think of one that isnt in lockout......

Get the guys on the skates back from Europe and on the ice .... lets play some darned hockey

I just saw on the team homepage that the Caniac Carnival was a family friendly hit. I don;t know how many people attended because I didn;t watch the video (I despise advertising on videos I select to watch).

To the people that attended the slap in the face event I have this to say to you:

YOU, along with those in the other markets that attend team events during a lockout, are the reason the league takes its fans for granted. Minimal attendance at this event would have sent a loud and clear message that fans are fed up with the lockout and the bad business models that perpetually send this sport in a tailspin every few years.

YOU are the ones that cause the league to say to itself, "Oh, not to worry.....they'll be back no matter what we do or how callous we are about them."

YOU are the ones who are not helping to end this lockout, and until YOU voice your displeasure to the league and its teams for their mismanagement of the sport(which I have done)instead of marching off to talk to and get an autograph from a felt pig that can't talk back, the league will continue to step all over us fans and allow lockouts happen every single time a CBA expires.

YOU have another chance to talk with your wallet, especially if we lose the entire season....please don't let it happen again, k?

I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings....just had to vent....again! lol

Love Ya....Mean It!

One practical problem for us fans is that while we are to a greater or lesser degree fans of the NHL, mostly we are fans of our team. But then our team's ownership is only 1/30th of one half of the solution. We don't boycott games in Winnipeg (who btw are sold out for 5 years and won't be affected a bit by our holding our breath here).

100% correct, and great point. Despite being division rivals, both fanbases want to see games played, not locked out. How do we get Winnipeg fans involved in drawing a line in the sand as well? What more perfect market to make a statement than the city the NHL turned to in hopes of making some money when the Atlanta franchise failed to pass muster. With 5 seasons worth of tickets sold already, I'm absolutely certain there's a portion of people that watched their city put up a building for hockey games that now stands empty and are willing to put their foot down.

Unfortunately the Jets page doesn't have a message board associated with it, so I don't have an option to go poking around there. Making those connections is something that we fans have to go out of our way to accomplish if we're serious about getting movement on the lockout. If what's happening feels unacceptable to you, don't just sit and accept it.

Your team is - in my opinion - by far the most improved through this off-season and poised to spoil a lot of Eastern Conference teams' hope for playoff contention. Without a season this year, that slips away. Don't accept that.

If hockey breaks my heart this year, I'd rather it be because my team's playoff streak finally ends than this childish bickering about whose pile of money should be bigger. I imagine there are 29 towns full of hockey fans willing to see that happen. So I don't accept it, and I'm here to ask you guys: what are we doing instead?

I think everyone would agree that Bettman's comment concering the fans was about the stupidest thing anyone could have said as we were heading towards a lockout.

However, like it or not, or choose to recognize the fact or not, there is some truth in it. There are a group of die-hard hockey fans that will be back regardless. In the end, I think those people realize that this is pro sports, it's a business, and the owners are out to make some cake, just like the players.

With that said, people now have a personal choice to make. I suggest everyone make that choice and live with it. To suggest some family who chooses to take their kids to a free event are part of the problem is basically forcing your views on someone else. Just like having some inherent problem with people who may choose to keep their STH money on account.

If you want to make a statement, do it. Write a letter. Vent on a message board. Get a refund. Don't come back.

I hate the fact that this lockout may result in the loss of fans, particularly Canes fans, but in the end, the individual fan has no control over what another fan may do. If you want to point fingers, well, there are other targets, right?

and WE are not helping by continuing to visit this website and post. we'rall hypocrytes.

oh, and those Brats? $7? Nah, they'll be raising the price this year. $8. there goes your discount.

Edited by BrokenSeason

I don't feel hypocritical posting on this board. I don't see the league or the Canes charging me or censoring me to post my point of view. I haven't sworn off hockey for life. I still have hope the NHL and NHLPA will settle this. I am at times angry and at times frustrated and it shows but I like to talk hockey and read opinions of others. Everyone has to do what they think is right but for me I will continue to watch the CBA negotiations unfold and talk about them here.

Because otherwise you would be paying full price?

I am on disability and on fixed income In this economy where food prices are rising by the week, cuts have to be made. If the season is toast, I am done as a STH.

Edited by colliefan

As to posting here being hypocritical, not sure I get that one. People are going on a Canes' owned and operated website and telling other people about not renewing, and the Canes and NHL are allowing it.

One of the reasons I've stayed with these boards for quite a few posts is that I am crazy, and have a weird sense of a good hobby.

But the other reason is that this is a nice form of free speech.

This is my 3387th post (holy crap I need to get a life).

While I am very pro Canes recent moves, (because they have been great moves), I have not always been so supportive, and many of those posts were bold faced criticisms of the Hurricanes. I'm thinking there might have been one post that was too edgy to another poster that I took down, but other than that in all those posts I cannot recall a single post, no matter how negative towards some aspect of the team that I was forced or even asked to take down.

Even now in this crisis, we are allowed to come on here and try to enlist people to cancel their tickets. Pretty amazing really.

Now I find posting about the lockout in general a bummer, so I'm really hoping this alleged phone call between Fehr and Bettman goes something like:

Alright Garymiester, what's it going to take to put a bow on this? "Donny my man, what about x?" "Tell you what bud, how about x +2?" "Donster: I can do X +1" " X plus 1.5?" "X + 1.25" "Done" 'Done"

Just realized that's an episode of Pawn Stars. Hey they get the negotiations done in under a minute. Lets call them in.

Edited by remkin

To all who have a problem with the Hurricanes ticket policy, if you don't like 5 and the additional discounts for the next 2 years, do as Steve Miller sings " Take the money and run". By this time some have decided on their drop date. That's your own decision, I have too much fun and enjoy the break from the work week when I attend games, so I guess you could say I'm here for the long run. By the way I do not believe that ticket or food prices will rise due to the offer of discounts from the team, more of a function of generally rising costs through out the economy.

I just saw on the team homepage that the Caniac Carnival was a family friendly hit. I don;t know how many people attended because I didn;t watch the video (I despise advertising on videos I select to watch).

To the people that attended the slap in the face event I have this to say to you:

YOU, along with those in the other markets that attend team events during a lockout, are the reason the league takes its fans for granted. Minimal attendance at this event would have sent a loud and clear message that fans are fed up with the lockout and the bad business models that perpetually send this sport in a tailspin every few years.

YOU are the ones that cause the league to say to itself, "Oh, not to worry.....they'll be back no matter what we do or how callous we are about them."

YOU are the ones who are not helping to end this lockout, and until YOU voice your displeasure to the league and its teams for their mismanagement of the sport(which I have done)instead of marching off to talk to and get an autograph from a felt pig that can't talk back, the league will continue to step all over us fans and allow lockouts happen every single time a CBA expires.

YOU have another chance to talk with your wallet, especially if we lose the entire season....please don't let it happen again, k?

I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings....just had to vent....again! lol

Love Ya....Mean It!

"This year’s Carnival will feature activities both inside and outside of the arena, and parking and admission to the event are free and open to the public."

What exact money from my wallet should I be keeping from them again?

"instead of marching off to talk to and get an autograph from a felt pig that can't talk back, the league will continue to step all over us fans and allow lockouts happen every single time a CBA expires."

If all else fails, make fun of children wanting autographs from Stormy. :gunhead:

To all who have a problem with the Hurricanes ticket policy, if you don't like 5 and the additional discounts for the next 2 years, do as Steve Miller sings " Take the money and run". By this time some have decided on their drop date. That's your own decision, I have too much fun and enjoy the break from the work week when I attend games, so I guess you could say I'm here for the long run. By the way I do not believe that ticket or food prices will rise due to the offer of discounts from the team, more of a function of generally rising costs through out the economy.

and this is your prsonal choice. others chose to (or, forced to by economics) vote with the wallet. this is the great thing about capitalism

Edited by colliefan

Newark Star Ledger - By Charles Curtis, NJ.com

The NHL and NHLPA will meet again to try to negotiate and continue progress in solving the lockout. The likely plan is for the two sides to meet Wednesday and Thursday in New York

Some are calling this a critical point in the negotiation. I have heard that before.

John Shannon - Sports Net on The Growing Indifference

But there is another group that should concern all the parties. It's the group that says they don't care. They just don't care! They have turned their backs on the sport for one simple reason: they are tired. They are tired of the bickering, the rhetoric, the greed. And this group is growing.
You see, for the owners, it's a business. For the players, it's a business. For the fans, it's a passion.

I hope both sides take note. Siding with the players is okay. As is siding with the owners. It's those who don't care any more, we should all be worried about.

John Shannon - Sports Net on The Growing Indifference

He makes a great point and I think its something that we all fear. I can honestly say that I didn't put much, if any, thought into the NHL and missing games all weekend long. I had plenty to keep me busy and it wasn't till someone asked me on Sunday if I was disappointed that the season was cancelled that I thought about it at all. What struck me more than the fact that I hadn't thought about the games being missed was that fact that the average casual sports fan that doesn't pay a ton of attention to the NHL assumes the whole season has already been cancelled. So roughly (very rough estimation) 2/3's of the US sports fans have already written off the NHL season without a care. That number could easily be a lot higher but you get my point. The passionate fans still care and will check for periodic updates but as time goes on, people will find other things to do. My guess is that most passionate fans will eventually come back but it'll take a long time before they feel good about investing all their passion and time in the NHL again.

He makes a great point and I think its something that we all fear. I can honestly say that I didn't put much, if any, thought into the NHL and missing games all weekend long. I had plenty to keep me busy and it wasn't till someone asked me on Sunday if I was disappointed that the season was cancelled. What struck me more than the fact that I hadn't thought about the preseason games being missed was that fact that the average casual sports fan that doesn't pay a ton of attention to the NHL assumes the whole season has already been cancelled. So roughly (very rough estimation) 2/3's of the US sports fans have already written off the NHL season without a care. That number could easily be a lot higher but you get my point. The passionate fans still care and will check for periodic updates but as time goes on, people will find other things to do. My guess is that most passionate fans will eventually come back but it'll take a long time before they feel good about investing all their passion and time in the NHL again.

good post ^^

i'm tired. i'm not even mad anymore. Saturday was such a fantastic day, going out and bike riding and stuff. i completely forgot about NHL.

this feels different than last time. there's a certain amount of 'I Give Up' in me, and now i'm just tired. like many others, I say Call Me When you are Ready. And if you are not ever ready, then so don't call. there's more to life.

Edited by BrokenSeason

I browse the various teams' message boards to gauge the feelings about the lockout from the various treams fans. It is interesting to note how much less interest the topic has drawn since the start of the lock out. For example, posts from Kats fans is vistually non-existent. I am slmost at the point where I look forward to the season being cancelled so I can pay-off the debt I incurred by purchasing my season tickets.

Of course that is one of the unforeseen consequences of this lockout. When the anger is replaced by apathy. I think both the owners and players have miscalculated the amount of frustration fans from all sports feel.

If the lockout goes on I think other consequences could be some European players don't return, the KHL could get a small foot hold in North America, businesses that rely on hockey could be reluctant in the future to pin their success on sports and cities considering building arenas might find the certainty of a lockout or strike every 4 or 5 years not worth the return on an arena investment.

I haven't reached the apathy stage yet but I'm not that far from it. I also had a good weekend with friends and if I need a hockey fix could just head to Norfolk for a AHL game.

in North America, businesses that rely on hockey could be reluctant in the future to pin their success on sports

given the NHL's track record on lockouts, why would a business want to invest money in creating an advertising plan to work with the league? the lack of any sense of urgency from BOTH sides on resolving the issue speaks volumes. each day that passes without an agreement is just another day where its games must be cancelled

The talk about apathy is exactly right on. I thought about posting earlier that the NHL shouldn't be worried about fans perched outside with torches and pitchforks, it should be worried about no fans outside at all. Just moved on.

In a number of major cities that have both an AHL team and and NHl team - TO, Chicago, Philly, ? - fans can just shift their $ and attendence to those teams. Other cities have an AHL team withing a reasonable drive - DC, ?. In other cities, fans will decide it is no longer a reasonable investment in $ and in time.

I browse the various teams' message boards to gauge the feelings about the lockout from the various treams fans. It is interesting to note how much less interest the topic has drawn since the start of the lock out.

I'm browsing other boards too. Your right many of the boards are very quiet. I'm not sure if they always are this time of year or not. The boards from Canadian teams are not as quiet but I am seeing many of the same sentiments on saving money and taking their entertainment money elsewhere as I am seeing on our board. It surprised me a little. I'm not foolish enough to think Canadian season ticket holders won't flock back or others won't be in line to take their place. Yet it's interesting some of the Canadian fans are voicing their discontent at the greed of hockey with threats to take their money elsewhere.

Yet it's interesting some of the Canadian fans are voicing their discontent at the greed of hockey with threats to take their money elsewhere.

my guess? they are waking up. 15 years ago when the CDN$ hosed them, their attendance was poor and Bettman was expanding in the South. when teams started moving away, they got mad. then the CDN$ swung their way, and they poured even more cash into the NHL. yeah, yeah, they'll show that little shrew bettman a thing or two!

but this fiasco has given some them some time to pause and reflect on what they are doing. kind of like an addict may when they get a forced break from their addiction. they reflect.

you know, "Hey you hoser, we're spending 25% of our wage on hockey. What are we doing?"

How many of the 30 NHL team primary owners have the team as their primary business? Or, is it just another very expensive play toy?

If it is the former, I would expect some urgency on resolving the issue, If it is the later, and is more advantageous from a tax standpoint to lose a season, I see no reason to expect a quick resolution to the matter no matter what they proclaim.