The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

The longer this drags on, without even a meeting or conference call, the more fans are losing interest in ever returning. The Canes are on of the teams that will drastically feel the effects of this lockout. They've already lost of lot of STHs...and even more casual fans.

I've always been curious, are all you mods actually employed by the Canes?

I'll let you know when I get my first paycheck in :jester:

Checks in the mail :thumbsup:

So I'm preety excited about the Checkers game in Raleigh in January although I feel bad Checker's fans are getting hosed.

Because things have been going so well so far right... :rolleyes:

Exactly... Both sides still think they can win. I think the Bettman bunch think they can out wait the players but my guess is not this time. The Fehr crowd still thinks they can win if they just stick together. With an arbitrator both will lose something and I suspect the owners know they will have to honor those contracts. They have boxed themselves into their respective corners. IMO.

Honestly over the summer I kept thinking to myself there was no way they would allow another lockout to happen, and if it does it would be over soon. They can't even agree to meet without over the top stipulations now... I had no idea... :cry: I think the best thing is to hope one side starts to crack... my guess it will be the players. They have too many low salary (by professional sports standards anyways) players who can't or don't want to play overseas and missing those paychecks will start to hurt more and more as the weeks pass. The owners have nothing to lose, they were already rich before ownership and have money and income without the NHL, so there is no real indication that they feel threatened or rushed to come to an agreement. None that I see anyways especially with them already going to cut the Winter classic and all-star game most likely.

This is kind of sad. Here's the first post of this thread dating back to June 13th:

The Stanley Cup is over and the off-season has officially started but this year the NHL owners and players association will hammer out a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Gary Bettman (commissioner of the NHL) and Donald Fehr(executive director of the NHL player association) will negotiate the new deal.

Some of the issues that could be discussed

Revenue split

Player Safety

Discipline

Olympics

Realignment

possible playoff expansion

etc,etc,etc

Some recent news coverage

CBS Sports

TSN

The big question is will there be a lockout come October.

and now its Nov 1st and they haven't made any progress on even one issue. They're no closer to resolving this lockout than they were back on June 13th.

Honestly over the summer I kept thinking to myself there was no way they would allow another lockout to happen, and if it does it would be over soon. They can't even agree to meet without over the top stipulations now... I had no idea... :cry: I think the best thing is to hope one side starts to crack... my guess it will be the players. They have too many low salary (by professional sports standards anyways) players who can't or don't want to play overseas and missing those paychecks will start to hurt more and more as the weeks pass. The owners have nothing to lose, they were already rich before ownership and have money and income without the NHL, so there is no real indication that they feel threatened or rushed to come to an agreement. None that I see anyways especially with them already going to cut the Winter classic and all-star game most likely.

The problem is the players know if they crack again their union becomes no more then a empty association. The irony is the players did pretty well under the old CBA even though they lost the battle in 05. The owners are also doing pretty well but salaries are getting out of hand and floating marginal markets is getting difficult for them. I think the players know they have to give up something but I'm not sure the owners have yet realized they will also have to make a big sacrifice. A signed contract is a fundamental basis for business. Break it and how can you trust that party again. IMO owners are going to need and figure out how they honor those contracts on their nickel.

IMO this should have never gotten this far. If your goal isn't to break the union then there should be enough common ground to hammer out an agreement. It is just sad.

NBC Sports - Ryan Dadoun

The league would want none of that. Mediators tend to want to split the baby down the middle. The union would be fine with it. I've dealt with enough mediations to know how that deal goes. It always angles towards making management say "I'm sorry" and give something away.

I think you should all have your current salary doubled.

Anybody have any info on lockout Skinner?

He's been updating his facebook page and applying ProActive on a daily basis.

Okay, all that's done. I'm going back to watching paint dry. I am painting a bedroom.

Part of me wishes they would just go on and cancel the rest of the season to spare me any false hope. The WC is getting cancelled, and in a few weeks, another month or more of games will be cancelled as well. If a deal isn't done by the end of this month, everyone will start to focus more on the 2013-14 season and not this one.

winger, the key is she's not FULL TIME. JR only speaks for full timers. which i presume are mostly listed in the 'club directory' portion of this website. that's just the tip of the iceberg of all the part time event people, and i'm suspecting that even many of those folks are contracted on an event basis only.

I probably should have said that the Hurricanes did a great thing to assure that there would not be a change of status for Hurricane employees. They probably figure that the replacement cost for those employees would be much greater that the cost of keeping them employed. I feel that they are doing what they can for the per event employees by opening dates for other events that they can work. As with any business you have to retain your core group to be able rebound quickly in the event this mess is settled. Hope your friend can pick up some of these other events.

The problem is the players know if they crack again their union becomes no more then a empty association. The irony is the players did pretty well under the old CBA even though they lost the battle in 05. The owners are also doing pretty well but salaries are getting out of hand and floating marginal markets is getting difficult for them. I think the players know they have to give up something but I'm not sure the owners have yet realized they will also have to make a big sacrifice. A signed contract is a fundamental basis for business. Break it and how can you trust that party again. IMO owners are going to need and figure out how they honor those contracts on their nickel.

IMO this should have never gotten this far. If your goal isn't to break the union then there should be enough common ground to hammer out an agreement. It is just sad.

It's a lot easier to keep 30 people on the same page then it is 700+, I think that is what it will boil down to. How long it takes is the big question. I don't understand what the complication is on honoring a contract that under the previous rules you were fine with signing. Of course if you knew that you were going to slash the contracts or have them paid through some other means then it makes sense. I wonder if the players would accept a 49/51 or 48/52 if the current contracts are upheld as is and they add another year or two to max contract time, giving both sides something. Why they wait weeks in between talks is another mystery, its not like they are doing anything else... On a side note, I heard that the hurricanes have lost about 1% of their season ticket holders both full season and partial season ticket holders, seems like that would be higher but I would guess that number will increase as the weeks tick on.

On a side note, I heard that the hurricanes have lost about 1% of their season ticket holders both full season and partial season ticket holders, seems like that would be higher but I would guess that number will increase as the weeks tick on.

unless the Canes offer a better discount than 10% on next year's tickets to the STH who leave the monies in their accounts, I am asking for my money back when the announce the season is toast. Increase the discoubt to something in the 20-25% range and I will stay.

It's a lot easier to keep 30 people on the same page then it is 700+, I think that is what it will boil down to. How long it takes is the big question. I don't understand what the complication is on honoring a contract that under the previous rules you were fine with signing. Of course if you knew that you were going to slash the contracts or have them paid through some other means then it makes sense. I wonder if the players would accept a 49/51 or 48/52 if the current contracts are upheld as is and they add another year or two to max contract time, giving both sides something. Why they wait weeks in between talks is another mystery, its not like they are doing anything else... On a side note, I heard that the hurricanes have lost about 1% of their season ticket holders both full season and partial season ticket holders, seems like that would be higher but I would guess that number will increase as the weeks tick on.

I think the owners are counting on the players beginning to break. I have only been on management side of union fights and limited experience at that but in that limited experience management will always win unless the workers are so upset with their lot that they are willing to lose everything for "the cause". This could be the case with most of the players.

I wouldn't count on all the owners being on the same page in this fight. The difference between the haves and have nots is fairly substantial. Of course Bettman only needs 8 owners to make or break a deal.

I expect if the winter classic is cancelled you will see more fans cancel tickets.

I read that the decision on the Winter Classic might be delayed until Nov. 15. I'm not sure if that indicates that a deal is still possible by mid November or even if it is true the NHL will wait that long.

The big difference this time around is the fact there are quite a few NHLers playing over-seas to supplement their loss salaries, so those players who are making money probably aren't in too big a hurry to get this resolved. We didn't see that last time around.

You also have to think those older players who may have one or two seasons left are wondering as well what is in store for them. I remember a comment somewhere from Modano (I think) that the last lock-out cost in $7mil and it wasn't worth losing a whole season.

You also have to think the next proposal from the owners won't be as good as the 50/50 split they recently pulled off the table. Got a feeling it will be something like 52/48.

i think the players can hold on until at least december before cracks show. they just got their escrow deposited wednesday. it was a good year for escrow, so they got a nice bump. i'm sure this was all discussed by fehr, so players have had to scale back their spending to be able to afford mortgages, and what have you. fehr is very good and he probably drove home sacrificing this summer to be ready for a fight.

Edited by BrokenSeason

The big difference this time around is the fact there are quite a few NHLers playing over-seas to supplement their loss salaries, so those players who are making money probably aren't in too big a hurry to get this resolved. We didn't see that last time around.

You also have to think those older players who may have one or two seasons left are wondering as well what is in store for them. I remember a comment somewhere from Modano (I think) that the last lock-out cost in $7mil and it wasn't worth losing a whole season.

You also have to think the next proposal from the owners won't be as good as the 50/50 split they recently pulled off the table. Got a feeling it will be something like 52/48.

They might but if they do it will lose the season IMO. The owners must come to the realization that they are going to lose money too in an extended lockout. They have set the table at 50/50 and I don't think the players are going to float the owners loses by what is in reality a owner imposed lockout.

TSN

NEW YORK - The NHL's deputy commissioner expects collective bargaining talks to resume in the "relatively near future."

The story still indicates we could lose the winter classic today. I guess time will tell.

I read that the decision on the Winter Classic might be delayed until Nov. 15. I'm not sure if that indicates that a deal is still possible by mid November or even if it is true the NHL will wait that long.

not sure about that date. somewhere I read the deadline for not losing more than a $100,000 deposit comes today.