The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

Article on NHL.com today. Players expected to present a counter-proposal by Tuesday

for the economic issues. That would give them 1 month to find agreement by Sept 15.

Fehr said there was a "meaningful gulf " between the two positions.

Wonderful ! :shakeshead:

Hope im wrong, but im half-empty type of guy, till im proven different, so hope im wrong, but sensing there will be a lockout

Stupid question but...

If there is a "Lock out", doesn't that extend the players contracts for the time away and/or do the contracts have to be honored and the players get paid? I don't think so on both accounts but any information would be helpful!

Now my comment, with the economy the way it is, I am disappointed in both sides arguing over "money" when they don't even know what the revenue is going to be. IMHO, there are going to be a lot more seats empty this year.

Players don't get paid because at that point theirs no agreement in place saying the contracts have to be honored I think.

I also think the NHLPA has a rainy day fund that pays the players something in the event of a lockout.

I'm lazy today and don't feel like googling all that though so I might be wrong.

Edited by legend-1

Hope im wrong, but im half-empty type of guy, till im proven different, so hope im wrong, but sensing there will be a lockout

Article on NHL.com today. Players expected to present a counter-proposal by Tuesday

for the economic issues. That would give them 1 month to find agreement by Sept 15.

Fehr said there was a "meaningful gulf " between the two positions.

Wonderful ! :shakeshead:

I remember Fehr and the 'baseball wars'. I predict (1)There will be no settlement before the 'last minute' and more likely delayed. (2) The owners will not "win'..ie something there for both sides.

He has unique talent for keeping restive players 'in line'.

Even worse, on my birthday :(

Yea, no lock-out on my b-day! Plus the season looks bright for the Canes, so I don't wanna lose that either.

Edited by hopper915

Bettman played serve with the proposal. Just about everyone's eyes popped out at all they are asking for.

Fehr's tactic to return serve was... to not return it. Delay tactics. This puts pressure on the owners by compressing the timeline.

However, the owners have shown some resolve, twice now, in locking out. So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lockout, probably until Christmas or so.

Who wins? Players and owners. No matter what, buckets of money fall from the heavens, partly because us dumb-axx fans keep forking over huge bucks for this garbage.

Who loses? Fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans, fans.

They love tangling the friggen carrot in front of the people who really care, US FANS! If ur think around xmas time wxray, i will save 2 months on CI.. because of course i cant walk away, and these zillionaires know it!

If the season is locked out---what do they do about the STH who have paid for their tickets?

probably will do the same as they did with the last lockout

If the season is locked out---what do they do about the STH who have paid for their tickets?

Last lockout, STH's were given the option of a refund or apply the money to the next year (with interest). I'd expect something similar, IF it happens.

What if I take a refund? Do I lose my STH priority? Do I still get to buy my same exact seats that I got a refund for once they start up again?

I have to assume that mgmt dangles something in front of you to compel you to let them keep your money.

I also have to assume that if you take a refund, that you start all over again in the STH priority list.

Finally, what happens to the folks on the eight month payment plan? Those seats will only be half paid for by the time they lockout. Do those folks have to keep paying the monthly bill even though they're not playing?

Lots of open questions. We'll get them answered as this becomes more likely in the next couple of weeks.

I'm afraid we're going to lose a chunk of the season. Maybe we'll get luck and only lose October. The schedule sux for us during Oct anyway.

What if I take a refund? Do I lose my STH priority? Do I still get to buy my same exact seats that I got a refund for once they start up again?

I have to assume that mgmt dangles something in front of you to compel you to let them keep your money.

I also have to assume that if you take a refund, that you start all over again in the STH priority list.

Finally, what happens to the folks on the eight month payment plan? Those seats will only be half paid for by the time they lockout. Do those folks have to keep paying the monthly bill even though they're not playing?

Lots of open questions. We'll get them answered as this becomes more likely in the next couple of weeks.

I'm afraid we're going to lose a chunk of the season. Maybe we'll get luck and only lose October. The schedule sux for us during Oct anyway.

You're asking questions that I have no answer for. The last time there was a lockout, I left my money in and received interest on it. That was applied to further ticket prices. IIRC, there was also a discount on STH prices for the next three years. It was a good deal if you wanted to stick around and ride out the lockout. Call your ticket rep for details; I don't have them. And I doubt the org has details at this point. But IF there's a lockout, I feel you'll be treated fairly.

I like what Ron Hainsey, said today on a video interview on NHLPA youtube channel. He said we will get a deal done before the deadline. No hockey missed!

Yea, no lock-out on my b-day! Plus the season looks bright for the Canes, so I don't wanna lose that either.

My birthday is 5 days after the deadline that Bettman set. I want hockey to!!!!

You're asking questions that I have no answer for. The last time there was a lockout, I left my money in and received interest on it. That was applied to further ticket prices. IIRC, there was also a discount on STH prices for the next three years. It was a good deal if you wanted to stick around and ride out the lockout. Call your ticket rep for details; I don't have them. And I doubt the org has details at this point. But IF there's a lockout, I feel you'll be treated fairly.

Calling your ticket rep is a fair thing to do, if you ask me. Let them know of your concern, respectfully. Our concern is fair, since the commissioner of the league has now broadcast it as a real possibility. We have a right to know what will happen to our hard paid STH up front money.

The ticket guys will also be able to bubble up fan sentiment to management. The owners need to know we're not happy campers over this.

Even the threat of a lockout and the games all these privileged people are playing is really starting to tick me off. Taking it to the public is not helping, whether you are Bettman or Lundquivst. I don't need to smell your laundry.

The numbers that both sides are talking about do not compute with the common fan. It is not even possible to imagine. Yet, that $30, $40, $100 per seat really, really hurts. All to give these guys the privilege of arguing over who can be richest.

Sickening.

Edited by wxray1

Calling your ticket rep is a fair thing to do, if you ask me. Let them know of your concern, respectfully. Our concern is fair, since the commissioner of the league has now broadcast it as a real possibility. We have a right to know what will happen to our hard paid STH up front money.

The ticket guys will also be able to bubble up fan sentiment to management. The owners need to know we're not happy campers over this.

Even the threat of a lockout and the games all these privileged people are playing is really starting to tick me off. Taking it to the public is not helping, whether you are Bettman or Lundquivst. I don't need to smell your laundry.

The numbers that both sides are talking about do not compute with the common fan. It is not even possible to imagine. Yet, that $30, $40, $100 per seat really, really hurts. All to give these guys the privilege of arguing over who can be richest.

Sickening.

Calling my ticket rep to let him know they will lose me as an STH. I really hope neither party is stupid enough to lock out. Given today's economy it will hurt everyone involved. Look at NASCAR attendance; and they didn't lock out! B#%ching about the kind of money they are talking won't sit well with the fan base. People are hurting in this economy and this will alienate the league from their fans.

Under the current CBA we should be very well aware the joke this current cap system is and be rooting for a rollback so we can more consistently spend money.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, this team is financially both feet in the ****er.

We don't have a choice but to make at least the second round of the playoffs with how much our small market team has shelled out. That's bogus.

Under the current CBA we should be very well aware the joke this current cap system is and be rooting for a rollback so we can more consistently spend money.

If we don't make the playoffs this year, this team is financially both feet in the ****er.

We don't have a choice but to make at least the second round of the playoffs with how much our small market team has shelled out. That's bogus.

Fortunately, next season's TV contract will help...unless they lose fans with a lock out this season. JR is definitely going "all in". Hopefully he knows something about the owner position reference this CBA.

There isn't a lock out yet. We haven't seen the players counter and there still is time to get a deal done. But once Bettman used the word lockout he raised the ante. Maybe the owners and players should have a lock-in until they hammer out a deal.

Well, tonight I'm watching Panthers football. I normally don't invest time in preseason football, but since it looks like the NHL season will be delayed, I'm putting in my time. I figure that Cam Newton and company can keep me occupied while the rich NHL bozos on both sides work out their differences. Something to pass the time during the Fall months.

Don't know what I am going to do should there be a work stoppage. Because both the NFL and college football are designed for the maximum commercials possible, I find the games boring beyond belief. Guess I will need to read through all six volumes of “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire”

Edited by colliefan

Bobby Orr Sides With Players ESPN-Boston

Boston Bruins legend Bobby Orr voiced his displeasure with NHL owners, who've said they'll lock out the players if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached by the Sept. 15 deadline.

x