The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

Last time this had no effect. Yet if the truth is that there is a deal to be had, maybe this time will be different. It could give both sides something in the middle to at least agree to work off of.

I agree with a lot of the comments, but I don't agree with people who say just trash the season.

Having a shortened season is 100X better than the disaster of a full season gone again.

Non-binding arbitration....whatever.....back to my replacement hockey activities.

P.S. I'm too apathetic to caption that image, sorry TSA. How about - :help:

Edited by coastal_caniac

I also agree that a shortened season is better than no season at all. I think the damage done so far is great but nothing compared to the loss of another full season. If they listen to the mediator they might get a deal done. If they don't and stick to their positions we could end up with a court battle that will change hockey as we have grown to know it.I think the mediator should have been called in 30 days ago but I guess it is better late then never. Yet I am not optimistic since both sides seem to be more intent on proving they are in control and winning at any cost. I expect they will bring the same attitude to mediation.

There has been so much playing to the public by both sides, so far. So maybe the mediation

will give both of them an opportunity to "save face" and each claim some victory. We can only

hope.

I have gotten a little apathetic myself, to brace against the possible loss of the whole

season. But my money stays in because I don't want to lose seating priority and because

I could scream and shout and pout----but I know good and well when they start up hockey

again I will be right there in my place at a game!

Might not cheer as loud right at the start though. (At least until the first goal is scored.) :rolleyes:

fehrandbettman_3103-430x298.jpg

Fehr: "You're a doody-head!"

Bettman: "I know you are, but what am I?"

Fehr: "A doody-head."

(Wash. Rinse. Repeat.)

I'm apathetic towards the apathy... meh, whatever.

Regarding the mediator, its non-binding... it didn't work before. The positive, they were used for both the NFL and the NBA to resolve their CBA issues... so there is that. At least its something new to read about. You know, like whatever... I guess its news right.

I am to the point that I do not care. I know I will eventually go back to attending games. But I will not attend any if there is a shortened season this year. If this seaon is lost and there is a season next year, I doubt I will attend any games. I am fed up with both sides and not attending games is my only way to show my displeaure. Maybe if more fans showed their displeasure by not attending games, both sides would get the message as to who is really in charge.

It's a shame that the fans care more about the NHL then either the players or owners!!! I've kept quite through this whole mess and yes when the season was suppose to start I was having "withdrawal" pains but as time went the seizures have stop and apathy has set in. I'm sure there are many "fans" that have gone through the same process as I and that can't be good for the NHL. Apathy is a killer and this time when the game does come back it will be very noticeable more so to the "non" traditional market teams which will be us.. Time will tell. :bangHead:

Edited by caniac_fan

I'm apathetic towards the apathy... meh, whatever.

Regarding the mediator, its non-binding... it didn't work before. The positive, they were used for both the NFL and the NBA to resolve their CBA issues... so there is that. At least its something new to read about. You know, like whatever... I guess its news right.

Mediations are never "binding" in the sense that a mediator makes a decision or acts as a judge, jury, etc. This is a process where the mediator will work on proposals with the parties (usually separately) to get the sides to agree to settle their differences mutually. Mediations are very effective, the company being used has about an 85% success rate in bringing the sides together and that sounds about right, in my experience.

I do believe that a shortened season is not a good outcome to this CBA., but the possibility is one we have to think about. If the season begins on or before Dec.15 we probably be looking at a 54 game season. 24 games in the division and 30 games against the other 10 in the conference. Starting no later than Jan. 4 , 44 games with 24 in division and 20 in the conference. Top teams in each division and 1 wild card team make playoffs. Best of 7 semi and conference games and best of 7 for the cup. But I would rather give up my season tickets rather that sit through that.

I do believe that a shortened season is not a good outcome to this CBA., but the possibility is one we have to think about. If the season begins on or before Dec.15 we probably be looking at a 54 game season. 24 games in the division and 30 games against the other 10 in the conference. Starting no later than Jan. 4 , 44 games with 24 in division and 20 in the conference. Top teams in each division and 1 wild card team make playoffs. Best of 7 semi and conference games and best of 7 for the cup. But I would rather give up my season tickets rather that sit through that.

That doesn't sound too fun.

I'm still in the camp of cancelling the rest of the season and fixing everything that is broken with the NHL so they can start fresh next season. I know that losing a whole season of games is brutal especially to a small market like ours, but this constant dribble of skewed facts, misinformation, false hopes, PR manipulation and emotionally charged comments via social media, are doing far more damage to the sport than the cancelling of games.

The only way to rebuild trust between the players/owners and the fans permanently is for the owners and players to be willing make large scale changes to an extremely flawed system that will fix whatever is broken once and for all. All sides need to feel like they're getting a fair deal (including the fans) and until they find a way to buckle down and focus only on the facts and make decisions for the good of the game, we will be doing this again in the future regardless of what they figure out for now. This is going to take some time and unfortunately it likely will take lots of outside professional intervention since they've shown they can't find any middle ground on which to build from.

Any deal that gets worked out in the next few weeks (if at all) will only be temporary in my opinion.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this...I think a shortened season would be pretty exciting. Every game, every point would be HUGE and I think we'd see playoff hockey from beginning to end. Every single team would have a shot at the playoffs...one hot streak and you could be sitting on top of the division looking way down at everyone else.

Mediations are never "binding" in the sense that a mediator makes a decision or acts as a judge, jury, etc. This is a process where the mediator will work on proposals with the parties (usually separately) to get the sides to agree to settle their differences mutually. Mediations are very effective, the company being used has about an 85% success rate in bringing the sides together and that sounds about right, in my experience.

I always thought that mediation only works if both sides are willing to give some-to-get some. I know you know lots about this process so even with and 85% success rate, what do you think the odds are they can make some real progress today?

Of course no one except those directly involved with each side really knows hows far apart each side is from each other, maybe its not as far as we've been made to believe?

I always thought that mediation only works if both sides are willing to give some-to-get some. I know you know lots about this process so even with and 85% success rate, what do you think the odds are they can make some real progress today?

Of course no one except those directly involved with each side really knows hows far apart each side is from each other, maybe its not as far as we've been made to believe?

You are 100% right that there has to be some willingness to move, but a mediator's job is to work to get that movement. Good mediators spend a lot of time playing Devil's Advocate, poking holes, making you think about the consequences of failing to reach a deal. As we sit now, there is plenty of fodder there...really pushing the Owners to think about the impact of decertification in a confidential setting where there are no press releases, no blustering, etc. and getting the players to think about losing this season and, honestly, beyond if there is truly some prolonged litigation. What impact will that have on the league itself, their pockets and especially the pockets of guys like Ray Whitney who may not play again.

I think that if a deal is to be made, this is the time it will get done...otherwise :censored:

If there's hockey in December a lot of people are going to come back grumling and fuming. Then in a few games it will be a memory.

If there's no hockey until September a lot of people are going to never come back, and a lot will come back at a much lower level. STH might hit the occasional game, others might watch on TV occasionally. This will be true in all boarderline markets.

The Canes might in some ways be THE most affected by the difference between late hockey and no hockey.We are a low revenue decent potential market that just upgraded it's team, might well be THE biggest turnaround from year to year, and we lose the whole season?

Sure the Rangers, Flyers and Canadians will be fine no matter what happens. Carolina? Not so sure....

Edited by remkin

Sure the Rangers, Flyers and Canadians will be fine no matter what happens. Carolina? Not so sure.

The Canoes are in the same market situation as the Preds, the Blue Jackets, and the Bolts. A late start and their fans will come back grumbling, Lose an entire season and who knows what will return. Who knows what will happen with the Kitty Kat fan base. The luster of a SE Division championship is long gone. Their message board is very quiet

If there's hockey in December a lot of people are going to come back grumling and fuming. Then in a few games it will be a memory.

If there's no hockey until September a lot of people are going to never come back, and a lot will come back at a much lower level. ...

I'm planning on doing the exact opposite. I hate the acrimony of NHLPA vs NHL, Player vs Player, and the decertification threat. I'm completely turned off by both sides, but especially Fehr in his last round of media spin. I'm done this season and will attend a minimum amount of games, but willing to start anew in October 2013.

i gave up really nice handicapped seating. it truly saddens me. it was to be my first season tickets, but i will be damned if i am going to put up with spoiled brats. doesn't fly in my house, why should i put up with it anywhere else.

i am union. i am a member of the ibew. i can understand unfair treatment and workers rights. but this? no. this is childishness writ large. in essence it is fighting on the playground over ice cream money :starwars: . mediation is the teacher coming over to try and put a stop to it. :tsktsk: make each other say they are sorry and play nice :threaten:

. they are grown men. :hairpull:

center ice is cheaper and it literally hurts less to not go to games.

just sayin' :popcorn:

according to tsn, nothing positive came out of today's meeting(s). just another day closer to the 12/15 start date being DOA.

Daly statement on mediation - NHL.com

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly issued the following statement regarding the two days of meetings that concluded today with representatives of the NHL Players’ Association under the auspices of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service:

"Today, we concluded two days of mediation with FMCS mediators and representatives of the NHL Players' Association. After spending several hours with both sides over two days, the presiding mediators concluded that the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time. We are disappointed that the mediation process was not successful."

Fehr statement from TSN

"Today, players and NHLPA staff, along with representatives of the league, concluded a second day of mediation under the auspices of the FMCS," said Fehr in the statement. "(On Thursday) afternoon, the mediators informed the parties that they did not think it was productive to continue the discussions further (on Thursday). The mediators indicated that they would stay in contact with the league and the NHLPA, and would call the parties back together when they thought the time was right."

TSN

Sources confirm that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is awaiting response from NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr on a proposal that owners and players have a bargaining session without any NHL or NHLPA leaders or staff in the room.

Yikes... would I like to be a fly on the wall if the players and owners get in the same room together.

Please for the love of god, cancel the season already. Please let these morons dig themselves further into the hole that they created.that goes for both sides.

If they play half a season, doesn't that mean the one year contacts just play the half then are gone? Forget that if so. Just cancel it.