The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

Bobby Orr is the man to be sure, but he is a players agent after all. Just sayin.

Very true rem but the smart move would have been to say nothing. He has to negotiate with owners through their GMs. I think he means what he said.

I never understand through all the lockouts, HOCKEY, BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, why cant they play through this, and they work it out while games are on, , so us fans dont get screwed.. Enough, i dont want the blood pressure up :)

I never understand through all the lockouts, HOCKEY, BASEBALL, FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, why cant they play through this, and they work it out while games are on, , so us fans dont get screwed.. Enough, i dont want the blood pressure up :)

Because the NHL and club owners aren't happy with the current CBA (which they locked out the players in '04 to get, the media had twisted it alongside Bettman's usage of the words "work stoppage" to make it seem like the players were going to strike instead of how things actually were,) so it'd obviously be better to not have hockey. th_facepalm2.gif

thanks blinding, never understand how the media has so much power.. in my mind anyway..

On the bright side, I wouldn't cry if they scratched the first 2 weeks off of the season. 6 game road trip against Winnipeg, Vancouver, Anaheim, LA, SJ and Boston? That's a tough row to hoe, so I think I could do without it, thanks.

can the training camps open w/o a new agreement?

I'm pretty sure that up until the September 15th deadline, things operate as if there's going to be a season. Not exactly sure where training camp falls on that timeline, but yeah.

Talked to a season ticket holder that goes to the bruins games, he knows someone High in the organization, he was told, lockout till probaly x-mas... hope hes wrong, but im getting ready for the worst...

I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting real tired of all these millionaires always wanting more. That may be over simplifing the issue, but that how it seems to me.If there is an extensive lockout, I will be happy to watch the games on TV, but it will be a very long time before the Hurricanes get any of my money.

I am on full-time disability so money is tight and 'Canes hockey is one of the few luxuries I allow myself. Right now, I feel there should be "a pox on both houses." To add yet another cliche, at some point they will kill the perverbial goose. The averge fan cannot conceive what a salary of a million dollars a year would look like, yet alone a salary several times that figure. And all of this is over what is a glorified version of pond hockey.

It's all posturing and speculation right now. I doubt even Bettman or Fehr know what's really going to happen.

If the owners allow a signficant lock out to actually go until Chrismas....fools.

Fans after all are spectators so it should be expected that for those of us following the CBA negotiations we have to sit back and wait to see what the NHLPA will counter propose today. I suppose since I once sat and watched the Fisher/Spassky chess match I can endure this. Today should give us an idea if we are in for a long match.

Aaron Ward@aaronward_nhl Large group from NHL has arrived to NHLPA offices including Bettman, Daly, Rutherford, Burke, Leopold,Shanahan, Rob Blake.

Looks like JR is there. They say we should know something on the players counter proposal early this afternoon

Apparently Bettman came out of today's meeting and basically said they would study the player's "alternative proposal" and respond later. They meet again tomorrow.

---------

NHLPA

TSN - Fehr did not get into specific line-by-line details of the proposal, he did indicate that the players were willing to take reduced hockey-related revenue for the next three seasons and that the league's hard cap would remin in place with a few exceptions.

Fehr added that the union also asked that no changes be made in regards to player contracting rules.

If you guys watch the NHLPA channel on youtube it's pretty interesting from the players side. You can learn more what they want etc. I hope that the owners can agree with their proposal tomorrow after their meeting so we can see hockey in September and October NO GAMES MISSED!!!!!

Aaron Ward@aaronward_nhl Sense is the NHL believes todays proposal from the NHLPA was better than what was expected.No details on proposal yet. #CBA #TSN

Retweeted by Chip Alexander

And there's another one on there about Sidney Crosby being upbeat.

I'm going optimistic on all things. :beach:

If you guys watch the NHLPA channel on youtube it's pretty interesting from the players side. You can learn more what they want etc. I hope that the owners can agree with their proposal tomorrow after their meeting so we can see hockey in September and October NO GAMES MISSED!!!!!

That was a great idea. I got to see Fehr comments as he said them and not reported by someone else. It didn't seem like Fehr was rattling sabres or threatening in any way. If the owners come back with a reasonable response there might be a season yet. Then again.............

So after a month of silence from the NHLPA they have offered their counter offer. From what I am hearing it wasn't laughed out of the room and had some owners intrigued. It basically (as far as I can understand it anyways) stated that the players were willing to give up more money, with the stipulation that some of that money goes to help more small market teams. I think this was at least partially to divide the owners as some will most certainly like the idea of getting more money from the revenue split.

Listened to XM on the way home, and from what I gather the deal is basically that they propose starting the revenue share as it is today for the upcoming 3 seasons. The actual number, not a percentage. So, all the caps and deals in place today won't be affected or rolled back.

Meanwhile, if revenues go up, the owners will then get more of the pie since the number won't change. However, some of that pie goes to revenue sharing, to help out the smaller teams.

That's my vague understanding at a high level.

Article from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8268046/nhlpa-pitches-first-proposal-national-hockey-league-owners

The union said its proposal to the league includes a smaller percentage of revenues for players and an expanded revenue sharing program to help struggling teams.

Donald Fehr, the executive director of the NHL Players' Association, said the proposal could "stabilize the industry."

Fehr said players are set to surrender as much as $465 million in revenue under the proposal if the league continues to grow at an average rate. He says that number could balloon to $800 million if the league grows at the same rate it has over the last two seasons.

"We do believe that the proposal the players made today, once implemented, can produce a stable industry ... that can give us a chance to move beyond the recurring labor strife that has plagued the NHL the last two decades," Fehr said.

I feel like I just saw the other team score the go ahead goal with less than 5 minute to play.

NBC-SPORTS

“The sides are far apart and have different views of the world,” Bettman said. “There is still a wide gap between us with not much time to go"

It is T-minus thirty days and counting. Each day that passes w/o a deal increases the likelyhood theere will be a work stoppage. Both sides seem not to be too intent of making an agreement :backpeddling:

What really rubs me raw about the CBA negotiations is the fan reaction. Blaming the owners because of the large contracts they saw this offseason. It's like no one realizes that contracts like this are offered, because:

a) They're not policed and are therefor allowable under the current CBA

B) They pretty much have to to get high end talent, since if they don't, someone will

There's no collusion among owners, so to they're all trying to be the highest bidder (within some reasonable limits I'm sure) to secure a small portion of a FA pool that exists every year.

And they want to blame the revenue sharing as a sticking point and pointing fingers at teams that aren't hemhorraging money. Without the teams, even in small markets, the NHL doesn't have the leveraging it does with television outlets like NBC to show games on a channel, which provides revenue to the entire NHL. If you take the bottom 6 teams in attendance and revenue on paper and put them in Canada, I guarantee you the advertising dollars in the US market dry up. NBC isn't going to nationally televise games like it does now. You'd have money from the Canadian TV market, sure, but that exists today and has an upper limit. Nothing will grow the NHL like working hard to support the current framework of the league as it exists and shore up the financial situation for all teams so that it can continue to grow its televised and attendended market in the US.

I will always side with the owners in CBA negotiations. Without owners, there's nothing. I'm all for the players getting paid for what they do, but when they buy a team, manage the finances, and make it work in this economy, then I'll be for giving them what they ask. None of them are business majors I'm sure, so maybe, leave the business decisions to the people that write their checks and know what they're talking about.

Can someone explain the sources of the revenue being discussed? Are they from ticket sales, apparel wear, etc. How long does a player need to play before having a chance at his piece of the pie?