The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

They really need to cancel the season and stop all this damaging PR from being spewed all over internet and across North America every day. The fans have been taken on an awful roller coaster ride that appears to have no end in sight. Most people have short memories and once out of the everyday media, they'll turn to other interests and be able to move on and forget all the negativity they've been privy to since last June.

Once out of the negative spotlight, they'll have a much better chance to fix all that is broke with little to no distractions. They'll then need to hire a top notch PR firm and spend the entire Spring and Summer repairing the image of the league. If the owners and players would spend as much effort repairing the image of the league and finding a way to get the fans excited again as they have bickering like five year olds on a playground, they would realize that most fans would be excited to come back if they knew there have been permanent fixes put in place.

If there was some sort of guarantee put in place via a written pledge/promise to the fans, and they had some new creative ideas to launch the "new NHL" with a bang that included all the markets, I believe they could save the league from self destruction. Right now, they are on a path of self destruction.

Back to reality.......

By taking the dispute this far and this long, both sides have proven it is all about their egos and not the fans nor the overall good/health of the league. Just cancel the season so STH can ask for refunds on their monies in their accounts.

I believe that outside of markets such as the Leafs and Habs a large portion of fans will be asking for a refund. Then both parties will realize they have killed the golden goose. And there will be goose liver paste on which to dine

Once out of the negative spotlight, they'll have a much better chance to fix all that is broke with little to no distractions. They'll then need to hire a top notch PR firm and spend the entire Spring and Summer repairing the image of the league. If the owners and players would spend as much effort repairing the image of the league and finding a way to get the fans excited again as they have bickering like five year olds on a playground, they would realize that most fans would be excited to come back if they knew there have been permanent fixes put in place.

If there was some sort of guarantee put in place via a written pledge/promise to the fans, and they had some new creative ideas to launch the "new NHL" with a bang that included all the markets, I believe they could save the league from self destruction. Right now, they are on a path of self destruction.

Back to reality.......

Some how I don't think canceling the season will do much to put them out of the negative spotlight. It's not like we will mysteriously forget about it. Last time it was the salary cap, and everyone knew that it needed to get done and would be a battle and for the better of the sport. And of course there is nothing to guarantee a fast resolution if they do cancel the season. They could cancel it and not talk again until June or later. Personally their PR firms can stick it as far as I am concerned, because it doesn't do anything for the fans other then say "Thank you for being the best fans in sports... (suckers!)" nor does it help the game other then to remind everyone that there has been two lockouts in the past eight years. Just my frustrated opinion, but the sooner this deal happens and the sooner the players are back on the ice the better off everyone else will be.

frustration... its over 9000. :pullhair:

You could be right and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who think some hockey is better than none. And whatever PR firm they've used (if at all) does need to go, they need to find a real creative firm who thinks out-of-the box, the same old "best fans in the world" isn't going to cut it this time.

I may be the only one thinking like this but I'd much rather NOT hear any news until a resolution has been found one way or another.

You could be right and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who think some hockey is better than none. And whatever PR firm they've used (if at all) does need to go, they need to find a real creative firm who thinks out-of-the box, the same old "best fans in the world" isn't going to cut it this time.

The only thing that would have any meaning would be a substantial (at least 25%) discount on ticket prices, parking, concessions, and apparel ware. But both sides will not agree to cut anything that lessens their HRR.

At this point, I'm just tired of getting my hopes up. I would like to see some form of a season this year, but I do think that it's getting to the point where they should just go on and cancel the season if they can't come to an agreement. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on hockey that is actually being played. Go Checkers!

Maybe we should start posting gameday threads for Checkers games, just to get some sense of normalcy around here. I think it would be a nice change of pace from all the negativity of the lockout.

Sounds like a good idea if someone wants to get take control of that. I know Michael Smith and some of the other Canes Twitter accounts are covering the games too.

At this point, I'm just tired of getting my hopes up. I would like to see some form of a season this year, but I do think that it's getting to the point where they should just go on and cancel the season if they can't come to an agreement. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on hockey that is actually being played. Go Checkers!

Maybe we should start posting gameday threads for Checkers games, just to get some sense of normalcy around here. I think it would be a nice change of pace from all the negativity of the lockout.

The tell us about our checkers thread is there, and gets little love. I'd love to see some Checker's talk, but not many seem to even care about that either.

Apathy is high.

I believe some of their games are carried on TWC. Does anyone know of a sports bar that shows the games. Have looked into AHL live but was not impressed by the quality of their video feed

[

Edited by colliefan

I believe some of their games are carried on TWC. Does anyone know of a sports bar that shows the games. Have looked into AHL live but was not impressed by the quality of their video feed

[

I tried AHL Live for one of their games in San Antonio a few weeks back, and I agree, the quality could have been a lot better. I've been listening to their games on ESPN 730 and resorting to updating the game scoresheet on AHL.com (but it sometimes lags severely behind the radio feed). If they could somehow update the quality, I'd reconsider doing AHL Live again.

The tell us about our checkers thread is there, and gets little love. I'd love to see some Checker's talk, but not many seem to even care about that either.

Apathy is high.

I think it's great the Checkers are winning but I care now about as much as I usually do.

Only thing I'm interested in out of the Checkers is player development not so much W's and L's.

In terms of STH not returning should there be a season long lockout, how many corporate sponsors (league-wide and in the various markets) will not return for a following season (whenever that occurs)?

How many businesses can afford to spend money on an audience that does not exist? Given the distaste many fans have toward the NHL at this point how many companies want their product associated with what the league has produced?

I am surprised that more companies other than Molson have tried to get both sides to resolve this issue. The Molson’s own the Leafs. I am surprised his voice is not heard louder among the other 29 owners.

I think it's great the Checkers are winning but I care now about as much as I usually do.

Only thing I'm interested in out of the Checkers is player development not so much W's and L's.

I agree. It is interesting that they were doing so well for a while, but to me it's really it's about what prospects are playing well. Who might break out up here if any seaons happens.

But there are a few that really are. Bowman on fire early, Boychuk consistently nearly a ppg, Faulk dominating, and Dalpe coming on strong recently, and moved to wing. A couple of interesting dmen also.

The Bruin's beat writers appear to have had enough too :lol:

@GlobeKPD

Still at least 5 solid weeks of negotiating time available for NHL CBA talks. We are about top of the 7th. Still tied.

@GlobeKPD unfortunately, neither team has a closer

@GlobeKPD

Looks like this NHL meeting is a go. Brendan Shanahan told to start reviewing tapes, prepare studio for supp discipline tapings.

@GlobeKPD

Trying to figure out who should/should not be in room for NHL owner-player meeting underscores overall distrust 'tween parties.

@GlobeKPD

Bang! ANY owner and ANY player who wants to attend shows up. Why do the NHL and NHLPA try SO hard to screw up.

@GlobeKPD

correction :any owner NOT named Jacobs

@GlobeKPD

Bettman will demand to know the order in which people r showing up and will be mystified when he can't get that info

@GlobeKPD

Not good. Clint Eastwood asks to attend NHL-NHLPA town hall gig. Offers to bring chair.

@GlobeKPD

Waiter...check! Jim Leher for moderator.

@GlobeKPD

Jacobs sells popcorn.

1. Get 30 owners in room. 2. Fill iw/100 laid-off arena/team workers. 3. Barricade doors. 4. Lockout over

Jacobs seems to be the most hard line of the owners. I don't know why any free agent would ever want to play for the Bruins in the future.

Boston's Jeremy Jacobs, Minnesota's Craig Leipold, Washington's Ted Leonsis and Calgary's Murray Edwards. The owners version of the fearsome foursome. Unless the players are allowed to bring their sticks IMO just say no. This is a diversion and a way for the owners to go into their meeting and say well we tried now lets get tough.

PK has really been tight-lipped with this so far. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in his office.

Edited by AWACSooner

I agree with you on player development. Wins and losses are more of a gauge as to how the coaching staff reacts to on ice match ups and getting players to buy into a system. I think that Jeff Daniels has been very good at doing both for a number of years. Although I appreciate the news on some of the Checkers, we have not heard anything about the goalies. Unless we believe that Ward and Boucher are going to be injury free or are not thinking of retirement, then goalie development should be a concern. Does anybody know how the goalies are doing?

Frederick Andersen got a case of the big head and wouldn't sign. He's now signed in Anaheim. Murphy got run out of the KHL he sucked so bad. Peters seems pretty meh if you look at his current AHL stats.

So, yeah, as far as player development, our goalie prospect pool went from promising to nothing in 6 months. Canes will likely looking to sign some netminders when this thing is all fixed and such.

So, yeah, as far as player development, our goalie prospect pool went from promising to nothing in 6 months. Canes will likely looking to sign some netminders when this thing is all fixed and such.

I guess the main issue with developing a young goalie is that anybody in the system knows that if they get the call to the big squad, they will only get to play about 12 games a year at best. Cam has such a strangle hold on the job that I think it makes it hard to develop another young goalie while Cam is still young.

WTH, real hockey talk.