The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

So....the brothers and the players thought they could push the owners into more concessions. The owners pushed back and said call when you get a reality check. The players have a hissy fit and threaten to Disclaimer or Decertify and ask the Govt. to slap the owners into submission.(Sarcasm Ahead) Hopefully some judge tells them to clean up their own mess.

I think that we are past the point of having more than half a regular season, I have one request for the players and their union, How are you going to Make Me Whole? I put up money for a full season. If I decide to not to attend the resulting half season, I will lose my priority and have pass on future seasons tickets. The hurricanes ownership has been proactive about benefits, interest and discounts, but what about the players? What have you done for me? Even at league minimum you will make more per year than I will, and you still can't take care of yourselves without the Gov't help. Disclaimer or Decertify is just a stalling method hoping to squeeze that last bit of blood from the owners. Last bit of advice, if you are really eager to get back to playing, grow a pair and accept the owners last offer.

And that is the end of my rant.

Thanks OBXer----seems like these moves will only enhance bad

feelings between the players and management. Sad.

Again it is how my non legal mind understands it. But even if I got it not quite right I think I got it close enough. The NBA union used disclaimer of interest in their negotiations and it is credited with helping the NBA and union in reaching an agreement before it went to court. The NHL and NHLPA seem to be in a fight to death frame of mind. I hope not because I think an agreement is in reach and nobody can predict the outcome of a court battle. I wonder if the sides negotiated a salary cap on legal fees with their respective lawyers before starting this latest insanity.

Well, if the NHL is the first to make a legal move, I think it reflects a profound dislike

and distrust of the Fehrs.

I wonder if the players are all totally behind them still, at this point.

Well, if the NHL is the first to make a legal move, I think it reflects a profound dislike

and distrust of the Fehrs.

I wonder if the players are all totally behind them still, at this point.

I just read the NBA also filed in that fight so maybe this NHL move will help force a settlement. Otherwise I think the profound dislike will turn into something a little more nasty.

I imagine players have mixed feelings about this. It appears the majority will still support Fehr but without a vote who knows. It looks like some of the moderate owners might be breaking a bit with the hardline but it is also hard to tell. I think the hardline owners continue to dictate the NHL stance. What a mess.

so, NHL is only league to go so far as killing a season.

other leagues got as far as "decertification" or whatever, but never killed a season.

what makes NHL players think that NHL owners won't throw legal junk back at them? remember, if they decertify or dissolve, this means each must work independently. no fehr, no nobody can coordinate. if they talk to each other and coordiate after they dissolve, the league can argue some sort of reverse collusion. they are now all targets of class action or independent civil suits. owners will have their own legal bullets, and will use them since they've clearly gone farther than other leagues.

tell you what, these parties (league and players) are a bunch of idiots. both. i'm ready to puke.

Edited by BrokenSeason

Sad about what happened in Connecticut. Its also sad that someone went to the abyss and felt the need and had the conviction to carry through with this. Killing is not an easy thing, and someone that is capable of this and willing is not a stable individual. That said, I would have shot his *edit* dead with no hesitation. poor kids that saw this are going to need lots of therapy down the road.

Now to hockey. I am of the mind that we might as well give up on the idea of a season happening. The sad part is that we were as stacked as we could be for a deep playoff run this year, imho. Especially with a little shopping mid season to fill Sutters spot and a def dman. JStall is really nice, but our third line was one constant bright spot, and how do I miss Cullen. Let me count the ways. breakaways, pk, shorties, finisher, good hockey sense, fill in on any line, etc.

What I am trying to say is that it is a crying shame we have a lockout. Why not when we are a bottom dweller and on a short leash and slim pocketbook from the mothball seasons. Just aggravating as all get out. My pills are kicking in so I am going to shut up now, but if I am not around again till after the holidays, yall have a merry Christmas. And you, AWAC, much respect for being deployed : O7 : and missing the holidays state side. Know first hand how that is.

in no way do i want to downplay today's events.

i want to say, however, that bad events in the world constantly happen. the main reason i love hockey is to get away from stuff of the world, whether it is economy, politics or bad people like today. again, not to downplay today, but please recognize that hockey is a release to get away from junk of the world for so many of us.

with the junk of the lockout, it has now become another worry (albeit a tiny one) on top of other horrible worries.

many of us are ready to unhitch from this worry and the self-absorbed parties involved.

in no way do i want to downplay today's events.

i want to say, however, that bad events in the world constantly happen. the main reason i love hockey is to get away from stuff of the world, whether it is economy, politics or bad people like today. again, not to downplay today, but please recognize that hockey is a release to get away from junk of the world for so many of us.

with the junk of the lockout, it has now become another worry (albeit a tiny one) on top of other horrible worries.

many of us are ready to unhitch from this worry and the self-absorbed parties involved.

hockey is release from the cares of the world about the only good thing from today is that I am off with Dakota in the AM and driving over to WS for him to select a new playmate

And you, AWAC, much respect for being deployed : O7 : and missing the holidays state side. Know first hand how that is.

Ummm...I'm in Oklahoma right now...we're moving to Germany next month. Now two years ago...

You know? At this point, I would love to see Bettman, Fehr, Ryan Suter, Sidney Crosby, Wizard, and a bunch of the talking heads at the NHLPA have a nice sit-down with, say, 200 diehard fans representing all of the franchises and watch as the fans LET THEM HAVE IT for being such prima donnas and pompous morons who have decided to neglect the folks who REALLY pay their salaries!

Some of those guys might need to wear flak jackets...

Just finished listening to the NHL channel on XM on the way home this evening. One of the comments was about the players being surprised by the negative reaction of the fans to the latest moves by the NHLPA. I guess that the players were under the impression the fans were backing them. One other commented that even if a judge were to rule on either legal move right now they would still have a hard time starting by Jan.15 because of number of still unresolved differences. That bit came from a former governor familiar with the current negotiations. I am really thinking the stuff is hitting the fan now.

Just finished listening to the NHL channel on XM on the way home this evening. One of the comments was about the players being surprised by the negative reaction of the fans to the latest moves by the NHLPA. I guess that the players were under the impression the fans were backing them.

hmmm....We are not playing hockey,holding out for our own greed and making them do without the sport they love, I wonder why they dont love us ?

last year the NFLPA also went through this,even to the point of releasing a statement to the fans asking for there support,lets see Millionaires asking regular people to support them so they can get a few more million....yeah thats not going to happen.

My message to the NFLPA would be this...Just play the sport you are being payed to play,the sport that every fan of every fanchise would love to be able to play for nothing, its simple,get out of the confrence room,and get back on the freaking ice!!!!

Edited by Carolinafan85

Either side could end this now. And that includes the players. So why they think they will be seen as victims after they went our and hired Fehr, and are holding out is a bit curious.

Both sides simply lose a little more every day this goes on, and will lose a LOT more if they can the season.

It is hard to see either side really winning the PR battle. If anything the side that just ends it wins.

Edited by remkin

Just finished listening to the NHL channel on XM on the way home this evening. One of the comments was about the players being surprised by the negative reaction of the fans to the latest moves by the NHLPA. I guess that the players were under the impression the fans were backing them. One other commented that even if a judge were to rule on either legal move right now they would still have a hard time starting by Jan.15 because of number of still unresolved differences. That bit came from a former governor familiar with the current negotiations. I am really thinking the stuff is hitting the fan now.

Because they were stupid enough to hire a leader who already had one ruined sport on his resume and loves to go all Peter Falk ("just one more thing") when it finally looks like a deal's been reached.

And they wonder why the masses are getting really pissed at them?

Hockey was the only sport I kept up with. I viewed hockey as the last remaining truly team sport. Hockey players could generally sound intelligent and articulate in interviews unlike the other major sports. Hockey players also generally seemed to have more class and a higher moral fiber. However, recent events have shown me I was wrong. It now appears hockey players have an attitude that they are owed a job and a paycheck. This apparent sense of entitlement may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and turns me off forever.

Both sides are throwing away the season and the sport over a couple of years on terms of player contracts and a couple of years on the length of the CBA.

Morons, all of them.

Hockey was the only sport I kept up with. I viewed hockey as the last remaining truly team sport. Hockey players could generally sound intelligent and articulate in interviews unlike the other major sports. Hockey players also generally seemed to have more class and a higher moral fiber. However, recent events have shown me I was wrong. It now appears hockey players have an attitude that they are owed a job and a paycheck. This apparent sense of entitlement may be the straw that breaks the camel's back and turns me off forever.

I share your views. Hockey was the only pro sport I followed much. I felt the players had class

and played the game for genuine love of the sport--which set them apart, in my mind, from the

others. I saw them as down to earth, community friendly family guys.

Though the Canes players have been careful and gracious when interviewed about this dispute,

the entire fiasco has left me feeling as though the players are no different than the owners and

the all important dollar rules the day !! Especially when the faces we see and comments we

hear are from the higher paid crowd--Crosby, OV, Cole etc. And the whole thing is so self serving

and without regard for fans and personnel whose livelyhood depends on their arena work (you

know, all the "little people" ) Cold !

So my world view of hockey is tarnished---and my enthusiasm is pretty muted ! Grown men who

can't talk to each other without temper tantrums, game playing and long periods of silence.

JR--you have to use your influence to fix this before your die-hard fans, like me, bail on the

whole thing !

Sorry AWAC, I thought you were already stationed over there. Still respect, though, and once again, congratulations on the new addition to the family.

If they toss the season, I don't really care. It is offseason winter mode for me.

Edited by dreadedcaniac

ESPN

NEW YORK -- The NHL's lawsuit against its players was assigned to a relatively new federal judge who is a longtime New York Yankees fan and a former federal prosecutor.

I have no idea what being a Yankee fan has to do with any of this..but...there you are.

ESPN

I have no idea what being a Yankee fan has to do with any of this..but...there you are.

Hopefully, he'll have an axe to grind against Fehr for ruining baseball 20 years ago. Edited by AWACSooner

Hopefully, he'll have an axe to grind against Fehr for ruining baseball 20 years ago.

Haha...He might of ruined it for Kansas City, Chicago and Atlanta but not the Yankees.

End game? :popcorn:

I hope so...pass the popcorn. :popcorn:

I had a major financial issue come up so I needed to cash-out the money I had in my account Told the agent I could possibly buy a five-game plan should thee be a season