The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

I was listening to the NHL on XM. they were talking to a guy who runs a website about the NHL. They asked him if he had seen a drop off in interest since these labor talks had begun. This is what I found interesting:

he said that there had been a definite drop-off but that interest just recently plummeted with the arrival of legal action to the table.

If this thing heads into the courts and gets dragged out, people will walk away.

I understand this is probably playing out according to the script, but up to now they were playing with matches, the whole decertification and legal maneuvers struck the match. Now they're playing with fire.

I understand this is probably playing out according to the script, but up to now they were playing with matches, the whole decertification and legal maneuvers struck the match. Now they're playing with fire.

and the sad thing is that both sides are adding gasoline to the mix.

Ok, so when the boys are back on the ice, what kind of cheesy slogan do you think will be painted along the blue lines this time? "We're sorry fans!" ?

Trollface with "You're still here?" written on it.

Katie Strang@KatieStrangESPN #CBA When asked what it would take for 2 sides to get back to table, Fehr said: "a phone call." "Whenever they're ready, we're ready."

Katie Strang@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Steve Fehr on NHLPA's stance on getting back to the table: "We are ready, willing, able and eager to negotiate."

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

Still no official contact between NHL and NHLPA, as far as I know.

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

In NHL's mind, PA still has to say yes to key items, so there's nothing to talk about until that happens.

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

In PA's mind, players made last proposal and have been sued by the NHL, so next move is NHL's.

BEST TWEET Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

Someone just unfollowed me because he can't take it anymore. Can I unfollow myself? :)

BEST TWEET Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

Someone just unfollowed me because he can't take it anymore. Can I unfollow myself? :)

I like his sense of humor, the NHL and the NHLPA should find one.

I don't know about any of you but since the tragic shooting in CT on Friday, I don't have any more patience for the NHL, it's players and their spitting war over their millions. Maybe they should take a break from the sandbox fight, watch the news and see what really matters to people. I get that hockey is a job to them but to the fans, its only entertainment.

Grieving the tragic loss of innocent children and the adults who sacrificed their own lives protecting them makes grieving the loss of an NHL season meaningless and trivial.

...makes grieving the loss of an NHL season meaningless. ...

about the only word I can use is relief. in the end the last step in the grieving process is acceptance. Hockey fans will find other ways to spend their money and time. the other question is what are we going to discuss when the end comes. and I am not talking about the end of the world

/

"Grieving Process" over a NHL season, I could rant over how lame it is to call it that but I'll simply leave it at that.

I grieve over lost family members and friends. The NHL? It'll be back. I think you missed the entire point TSA made.

Edited by legend-1

The events in Connecticut are so utterly tragic and devastating that it really exists on an entirely different plane than any discussion of sports. I certainly understand the sentiment but it would be nice if the NHL and the NHLPA allowed themselves to be moved by these events into coming together and ending their haggling. Would be nice, not likely. I do think that the parties involved in this dispute seemed completely indifferent to the cultural environment providing the context for their spat.

Compared to the last lockout economy is far worse, this lockout comes on the heels of the last one leading to an entirely canceled season (which was not true last time), at least half the population is politically disenchanted, we had hurricane Sandy, and now these tragic events in Connecticut. The sides seem intent on playing out the script regardless of what's going on around them.

I got the sense from following this board at first, then hearing that gentleman that runs in NHL blog yesterday, and my just general sense given the current economic and other environments that this time the NHL really was going to damage itself Much more severely than last time. I've posted that several times and I think that the complete loss of the season would be a major blow to the NHL especially in the 15 or so markets the do not sell out regularly.

While now here's this evidence:

NHL lockout doing alarming damage to brand

According to this article in the Globe and Mail, a major survey conducted by level 5 strategy group suggests that the damage done to the NHL brand is on par with the damage done to BP by the oil spill. And that's without canceling the season.

This quote sums it up:

“We found damage at levels we have not seen,” Kincaid says. “It’s quite alarming, really. If anyone thinks that the lockout can end and everyone will come back to Happy Valley, it ain’t going to happen.”

Personally I think if they would just get together soon and solve this mess people will come back. If they cancel the whole season the damage will far outweigh any amount they gained by playing hardball.

Edited by remkin

Personally I think if they would just get together soon and solve this mess people will come back. If they cancel the whole season the damage will far outweigh any amount they gained by playing hardball.

I don't disagree with you remkin, getting the season started will definitely help reverse some of the damage the lockout is causing but the longer the fans get dragged on the roller coaster of day-to-day spats, law suits and general ugliness....the less likely it will be for the league to completely recover. Ironically they're throwing away all that precious money they're fighting over with each passing day.

The article in the Toronto Globe and Mail was startling. If this much damage has been done in a land where hockey runs through the veins imagine how much damage has been done in a soft market such as the Triangle?

The drop dead date for starting the season on 12/31 is fast approaching. It’s not going to happen. Also trying to squeeze about a half-season’s worth of games in a short time frame can result in overkill.

The Canes have always sucked at marketing and how they will market a product that is “damaged goods” is a very difficult task

Thought this was interesting, an undergraduate thesis from an OSU student on the effects of a lockout.

https://docs.google....ysNMGhPZ5A-_tlA

Hockey fans are apparently not very smart and have come back after both lockouts with improved attendance. Whereas the MLB plummetted.

Interesting findings. I had to speed read it but got the point. Hockey fans may be more like those of other sports before this mess is over.

I would like to know the response of advertisers who paid for space on the boards and on the ice. What about Lexus and its space in the arena? If there is a reduced season will they get a reduced rate? If I owned a business and paid a prime price for advertising I would be majorly ticked-off

I would like to know the response of advertisers who paid for space on the boards and on the ice. What about Lexus and its space in the arena? If there is a reduced season will they get a reduced rate? If I owned a business and paid a prime price for advertising I would be majorly ticked-off

Or how about NBC? The NHL finally got a good TV deal and they are damaging the product with the CBA junk.

Or how about NBC? The NHL finally got a good TV deal and they are damaging the product with the CBA junk.

correct; this includes national sponsers. the NHL is now damaged goods what kind of company wants to be associated this kind of league?

Edited by colliefan

It's official. I have had it. They have lost me as a hockey fan. I may watch the occasional game or even buy tickets from time to time. But no more will I check the daily blogs or Canes schedule. I will not purchase Center Ice. I will not upgrade my cable package just to see the Canes. I will not be a group leader ever again. This whole thing is ridiculous. It has gone on long enough that not only am I protesting the lockout with my cash but I also have had long enough to find other interests to occupy my time.

You can really tell the lockout is effecting the players, I mean they have stooped to playing with their stacks of 100 dollar bills instead of bathing in it (looking at you commie!)

KANENENEfdsfafs.jpg

Pretty dumb Kane, pretty dumb.

Edited by Ichigo-1

That was an interesting article iguanadon, fairly anti-owner, but especially big market owner. Kind of explains Jeremy Jacobs.

I found this most interesting:

The NFL share 60% of its revenues. The NHL shares 4.5%. Since the NHL has almost entirely local TV deals, the difference between the haves and have-nots is bigger relatively. The Haves in New York Chicago Montréal Toronto don't want to share with the have-nots. They want not only to make more money but to be able to sign the bigger stars and be the winning teams. But if they did share more revenue and allow more competitive teams in other markets hockey would gradually spread to a wider base increasing the pot for everyone. And finally, if it spread wide enough hockey could get a more serious national TV contract in the US which would really jump franchise values. This would be far better than contraction. But the owners in the fattest markets are just fine thank you very much.

And finally, if it spread wide enough hockey could get a more serious national TV contract in the US

given the NHL's history of lockouts what network would want a long-term investment in the NHL?

I'm beginning to wonder why I've invested so much into it as well. Maybe not millions of dollars, but all of the other intangibles. Not to mention hundreds maybe eve a few thousand bucks. Really frustrated.

NBC just signed a 10 year deal with the NHL. If they lose this season they will just add it on to the end of the contract.

NBC just signed a 10 year deal with the NHL. If they lose this season they will just add it on to the end of the contract.

Yeah, they were really promoting the league pretty hard last year. Especially during the playoffs with other sister network channels carrying games. I sure hope things get smoothed over soon. Read on TSN.ca that Daly says there WILL be a season. We'll see...

Yes, but the product they bought wasn't the damaged product the NHL has now. How would you feel if you ordered a luxury car and paid up front. It was due in a couple of months, but there were some delays. A year later, instead of your luxury car, you get an old Yugo. They do offer to give you free oil changes for a couple of years. The next time you need a car, are you going back for more?

Wait, am I talking about NBC or STH's?

There is no question that the NHL brand has been damaged. How damaged only time will tell. Yet NBC knew what it was getting into. They knew it was likely there would be a lock out and I suspect they knew there was a chance of a lost season. They are gambling that the popularity trend established over the last few years will continue once the lockout ends.

10 year CBA. 10 year TV deal. Coincidence?