The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

obligatory second page post because their is no problem with first posts on new pages according to whomever hosts this board

:thumbsup:

But he's totally right, this problem doesn't exist according those that created and maintain the NHL message boards.

TSN

The NHL Players' Association will meet on Monday afternoon with the NHL and are expected to present a counter offer, after spending the weekend reading through the league's 288-page proposal.

The meeting should start around 2pm. It will be interesting to see how the NHLPA handles this and if the NHL picks up their offer again and goes home or actually negotiates.

NHLPA counter offer means no deal right? At no point has the NHL taken a counter offer seriously. players should take deal and play or hope for a season next year. No way NHL will except counter offer, here we go again.

NHLPA counter offer means no deal right? At no point has the NHL taken a counter offer seriously. players should take deal and play or hope for a season next year. No way NHL will except counter offer, here we go again.

They did say they will take counter offers this time on certain items, but didn't mention which ones I believe. Of course time will tell on if that is the case, but here's hoping.

Until the details are known we won't know if it contains a deal killer. It looks like the NHL is willing to take a look. Fingers crossed.

Well, Bettman just stated in his press conference multiple times that the NHLPA submitted what they asked them to submit in way of a counter proposal, that it was comprehensive, and because it was comprehensive, that they would take the evening to go over it, then meet again tomorrow by noon.

Sounds kind of like a negotiation to me, finally.

And the word is the NHLPA did not offer anything different in terms of HRR, which is good news.

x

Well boys, it looks like some headway might be occurring...hearing that they're working out kinks in each sides' respective issues with pensions and revenue sharing...and that the NHL put forth a comprehensive proposal...that the NHLPA is actually working with!!!

Here's hoping...

Wow, over 24 hours and no new posts. I'll break the "ice", so to speak, by LOL'ing at the media types tweeting they are huddled in a bank lobby so they don't freeze their stuff off on a NYC street.

My duck blind has heat. Get a real job.

NHL just made a counteroffer to the PA offer...PA will mull it over...both sides are taking a break for the day and reconvening tomorrow.

Re-Tweeted by Chip

Renaud Lavoie @RenLavoieRDS

Revenue sharing is close to a done deal. The NHLPA move in the direction of the NHL by accepting a 10 year CBA with certain conditions.

and LeBrun has this to say...

Pierre LeBrun: Players remain sour over pension snag with league... Need to be resolved for any deal to get done #TSN #NHL

I cannot imagine that the season gets tanked over a pension issue...if revenue sharing is done with a 10 year CBA, this has to get resolved. Another lost season could kill this league (or at least a portion of teams) meaning zero pension for a lot of players. Since the players have to de-certify by midnight tonight if they are going to go down that road, I am hoping we see a deal done today.

The NHL cliff will be averted just like the other one. A shame both sides had to drive up to it and peer over the edge to finally get it done. But it is clear that was always the plan.

On the plus side, I won't mind having banked about half of a full season's cash and still get some hockey.

Edited by remkin

Well I am not sure a deal will get done or not. But what I do know is that I am going to see a live hockey game Sunday at the PNC center. I am really excited about that. There will be a lot of hype at this game if the season is about to get underway. I am honestly expecting to see a rowdy crowd Sunday. Tickets are almost all gone and they are cheap too!

It appears the NHLPA has made another counter and the two sides will meet again tonight. Pensions seem to be the latest negotiation hurdle. But they are still talking.

I sure hope this talking turns in to the boys back on NHL ice. Soon.

Of course, I've been hoping that since September!

Catching up and guess what....nothing has changed for better OR for worse. The two sides are still negotiating details yet both have proclaimed (about 2 weeks ago?) that they've bent as far as they can??? What a crock. Nothing will be decided until the 11th hour and its obvious they're not there yet. If they need to get a deal done by Jan 11th to salvage what's left of the season, that's still 9 days away.

I just read the NHLPA will announce about their disclaimer decision one way or another tonight but who really cares and does it really mean anything? Its all one big gamble to them and if they're convincing themselves they're doing this for the better overall health of the league they're delusional. Hockey is pretty important where I work and most have become indifferent about whether or not they play an NHL game or not this season.

I also don't remember hearing one word from ESPN, NBC or from any sports media outlet for that matter about missing the Winter Classic on New Years Day. Outside of the diehard fans and those that make their living through NHL hockey, did anyone know if was or wasn't played? Life moves on and sadly this market will not rebound well for a long time.

Unless of course they come out of the gate like they did in 06 and make a solid charge all the way through to the end....it could happen, right?

Happy New Year!

new-years-eve-emoticon-msn-03.gif

I just read the NHLPA will announce about their disclaimer decision one way or another tonight but who really cares and does it really mean anything?

It means quite a lot, since them filing hinges on how the NHL responds to their counter. If they do file then the season will more then likely be canceled outright, not because the disclaimer of interest will hold any weight in any anti-trust suite but because Fehr being Fehr will drag his feet through the court process to do as much damage as possible.

Currently the last big remaining issue seems to be pension, with the NHLPA reportedly agreeing to CBA and contracting lengths as well as the HRR split, so yes, tonight is a big night as they are extremely close to getting a deal done.

It means quite a lot, since them filing hinges on how the NHL responds to their counter. If they do file then the season will more then likely be canceled outright, not because the disclaimer of interest will hold any weight in any anti-trust suite but because Fehr being Fehr will drag his feet through the court process to do as much damage as possible.

Currently the last big remaining issue seems to be pension, with the NHLPA reportedly agreeing to CBA and contracting lengths as well as the HRR split, so yes, tonight is a big night as they are extremely close to getting a deal done.

I give you lots of credit Blinding. What happens if Donald comes out tonight to say that because they're deep in talks with the league and are so close to resolving the final details, the NHLPA will hold off from filing for now? Who knows, maybe this discalimer deadline will be enough to tip the scales because if Donald backs down, the NHLPA will lose more credibility than if they disclaimed :)

What kind of a response is the NHLPA expecting or at least hoping for? All that's been leaked out (and that's not a good thing) that I've seen is that a player said whether or not they file depends on the response to their latest proposal. I'm skeptical but it sure sounds like a last minute threat by the NHLPA using the media.

If a deal was really getting done tonight, I would think both sides would be completely dedicated to getting it done at all costs. That would include keeping leaks from the media....not planting them.