The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

I give you lots of credit Blinding. What happens if Donald comes out tonight to say that because they're deep in talks with the league and are so close to resolving the final details, the NHLPA will hold off from filing for now?

What kind of a response is the NHLPA expecting or at least hoping for? All that's been leaked out (and that's not a good thing) that I've seen is that a player said whether or not they file depends on the response to their latest proposal. I'm skeptical but it sure sounds like last minute posturing using the media by the NHLPA.

If a deal was really getting done tonight, I would think both sides would be completely dedicated to getting it done at all costs. That would include keeping leaks from the media....not planting them.

I disagree, I think it was planted as a means to let the NHL know not to mess around about pensions, and at this point I'm fairly certain it's something the NHL is well aware of. The past few days they've done actual negotiating, they're finally speaking the same language and have came to an agreement on rather large issues, there's no way either side doesn't want to get a deal done.

Their deadline for filing is tonight at midnight, and while they could certainly delay filing by not meeting their self-set deadline they're adding even more against them in any anti-trust suit. I'd hope Fehr is smart enough to realize this, but back to your question, with how close they are and that player statement implying that either the NHL gives on pension tonight possibly alongside a deal made and signed or signed within the next couple days or they attempt to go nuclear, where everyone knows they'll lose and get a way worse deal, which makes me believe there isn't a strong chance of Fehr going in the middle with a delay of filing I fell it's either going to be "we're filing" or "we're not filing," which is going to have an obvious impact on the chances of salvaging a season this year.

Edited by Blinding

I disagree, I think it was planted as a means to let the NHL know not to mess around about pensions,

Any leak at the 11th hour isn't good imo. Its not a good sign that both sides are ready to be in the same page if they're essentially still sending out threats.

I do agree with you though, they either need to file or not tonight because they set their own deadline. I have to believe that neither side believed it would be coming down to this.

I'm telling you there will be hockey this year.

I'm pretty sure I heard on XM that even if the players do filed a disclaimer, a deal can still be done. Isn't that what happened in the NBA?

This really does appear to be following the script. If I'm not mistaken the script includes the players filing the disclaimer but the season still being salvaged at the last minute.

The endgame will be at the actual end. But the endgame is hockey this year.

Anyway, what really matters: what does Steve Burton say?

They can always vote again and file another disclaimer if the deadline for this one passes. This whole DOI stuff is a ploy by Fehr.

If they choose to ignore their own deadline, they'd lose all credibility and any forward momentum imo. A ploy it all is.

Hey guys!

I haven't posted anything in a long time. This lockout has me disgusted; I'm sure I'm not alone.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but I came across talk of an amnesty buyout option. IF, in fact, this is an option, do the Hurricanes use it? If so, on whom? I hate to say it, but maybe Ruutu...?

A_pey7UCAAAhXjj.jpg

Looks like they can sit three to four people there, hmm.

What....no podium? I'm so disappointed.

A_pey7UCAAAhXjj.jpg

Looks like they can sit three to four people there, hmm.

Did they dump the podium so it wouldn't upstage Fehr and Bettman:lol:

x

What....no podium? I'm so disappointed.

It's a tablegate man.

Oh, and I don't know if I saw it posted here or not but the rumor going around a few days ago was that the League would swap Columbus and Winnipeg for this season (if they salvage it.)

It's a tablegate man.

Oh, and I don't know if I saw it posted here or not but the rumor going around a few days ago was that the League would swap Columbus and Winnipeg for this season (if they salvage it.)

That's about the only reasonable thing I've heard that makes any sense this season.

At least the table looks familiar.

Name the four at the table if it anything happens tonight......

Bettman, Daly, Fehr and Fehr?

That's too easy :)

They'll need a player so they can start marketing asap.

That's too easy :)

They'll need a player so they can start marketing asap.

They'll just have posters of Crosby, Stamkos and Quick behind them as they talk.

Bettman, Daly, Fehr and Fehr?

Apparently the NHL has decided to grace the press by allowing them inside, instead of making them stand outside in chilly NYC winter (Stay classy NHL...)

Well lets see what they got to say...

Well lets see what they got to say...

Players are waiting instructions too. Now to distract myself before getting excited.

If a deal was really getting done tonight, I would think both sides would be completely dedicated to getting it done at all costs. That would include keeping leaks from the media....not planting them.

True, the media has played (perhaps unwittingly) a large role in this lockout fiasco. I'll admit that I have followed the updates multiple times each day because there are so many avenues from where information is available. Also, I have formed opinions based on "leaks" or twitter statements and/or pictures. I would hope both sides are past the point of trying to garner support via the media. They've both lost tremendous amounts of credibility. Especially in marginal markets.

True, the media has played (perhaps unwittingly) a large role in this lockout fiasco. I'll admit that I have followed the updates multiple times each day because there are so many avenues from where information is available. Also, I have formed opinions based on "leaks" or twitter statements and/or pictures. I would hope both sides are past the point of trying to garner support via the media. They've both lost tremendous amounts of credibility. Especially in marginal markets.

I'll admit I'm enjoying reading all the updates about the NHL podium :lol: