The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

:lol: I was reading Chip's twitter feed to see if anything has happened today and low and behold, a Sabre's fan was trying to troll Chip. Not sure why but that made me think for one minute that hockey must be close.

Some interesting quotes from Eric Staal on the feed too.

I saw the Chip twitter banter. It was amusing. I was surprised a Buffalo fan knew how to use twitter.

Letang just signed with a khl team if a deal was close I couldn't see him doing that.

A deal has to be close to salvage a season considering the NHL just pushed the drop-dead date to the 10th. I have a feeling a large portion of the players aren't sure of where things are headed, not because they aren't being informed but because the overall feeling seems to be going back and forth. I don't think Letang going to the KHL has any more indication of how things are going then the players coming back.

7 days to go and here's a pretty good summary of where they're at:

Mediator meets with NHL, union reps; no negotiations scheduled

Shared frustration

There is growing exasperation among moderates on both sides — a group that includes Penguins ownership and Crosby, the sources said.

The lockout‘s length, a lack of a clear path toward a deal and a sense of being frozen out of the process are concerns to an increasing number of owners, management officials and players, sources said.

Clubs‘ highest-ranking officers are not receiving firsthand information from the NHL, while players, including some Penguins, feel they cannot express concerns about union actions, the sources said.

The NHL and NHLPA declined comment Friday.

Clubs risk a fine up to $1 million if employees comment publicly on the labor dispute.

Full article here

And the final knife to the fans back will be a "48 game season". After purchasing Hurricane season tickets since 1998 and sometimes leaving early to get to work, my reward is this dilemma. Use your account money for the shortened season (re: inferior product) or lose your priority for next season. I signed up for 41 home games that includes games against Western Conference teams. As it looks for 48 season I will receive 24 games mostly or all Eastern Conference teams with the majority played against the Southeast Division. Just cancel this "season", fix the next ten and move on. If I lose my priority, I won't be back. The NHLPA can go take a flying leap for all they have done for the last 12 months. Please feel free to substitute any four letter word of your choice for leap in the last sentence.

Edited by winger52

So it's Coastal, Legend, Rem, and hopefully Pepcane, It's going to be awesome! East Parking Lot.

:tailgate:

I can't make it Sunday. I work every weekend 7a-7p and couldn't get anyone to cover for me. :thumbdown:

You don't know how badly I'd love to be there. Problem is, I'm the only maintenance man to cover the main campus of a fairly large medical center and like Lucille Ball I'd have some 'splainin to do when I went back in Monday. Everybody there knows I'm getting cranky about all this lockout stuff and I'm sure somebody would figure out where I was.

At least I still get to go to Norfolk on Jan. 23 to see the Checkers play the Admirals, whether there's NHL hockey or not.

Have fun guys.

486950_346738878755646_12408299_n.jpg

The almighty Steve Burton is predicting progress but nothing about resolution yet...

Steve Burton@WBZSteveBurton

The NHL has undoubtably been effected by the NHLPA's recent vote. They are more willing to negotiate. Expect progress in pensions and cap.

486950_346738878755646_12408299_n.jpg

The almighty Steve Burton is predicting progress but nothing about resolution yet...

Steve Burton@WBZSteveBurton

The NHL has undoubtably been effected by the NHLPA's recent vote. They are more willing to negotiate. Expect progress in pensions and cap.

Just call me crazy...this feels like the real deal

You're crazy! Haha, done.

Interesting that players are now coming out saying they're embarrassed by the whole thing. Maybe they're looking for a little empathy from the angry and potentially indifferent fans? After all, when they finally do skate out on the ice they want their fans cheering for them. ;)

Could be. We fans are funny and Canes players have had a low profile for the most part. As long as Fehr is union head I expect he will take most of the heat and we will will soon be cheering for our guys again. But if I was Bettman I think I would take a vacation for a while. Then again how much more hate can fans show him.

Could be. We fans are funny and Canes players have had a low profile for the most part. As long as Fehr is union head I expect he will take most of the heat and we will will soon be cheering for our guys again. But if I was Bettman I think I would take a vacation for a while. Then again how much more hate can fans show him.

I'm thankful the entire Canes organization, including players and management have been pretty quiet. I have to believe none of them were sided with the hard line "more boisterous" players and owners.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Bettman keeps his job for the short term but not for the long term. This season, however it plays out, is on him.

I'm thankful the entire Canes organization, including players and management have been pretty quiet. I have to believe none of them were sided with the hard line "more boisterous" players and owners.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Bettman keeps his job for the short term but not for the long term. This season, however it plays out, is on him.

I think your spot on.

I have to agree that maintaining a low profile was definitely the way to go.

I continue to maintain there would've been a vast difference between hockey and no hockey. Sure a 48 game season will feel different and some will mock it, but entire lost season would've been disastrous. The only professional league to ever cancel an entire season doesn't again the very next time? Talk about something to be embarrassed to be a part of!

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the Checkers game tomorrow. But it pales in comparison to how ramped up I'm going to be once there are real Hurricane NHL games in my immediate future. Once we get this sweet game back on our ice the memory of this nonsense will fade.

Give me hockey soon, and all is forgiven. Cancel the season, Not so much.

Despite the fact that the Hurricane players are every bit as much in the union that hired Donald Fehr, and despite the fact that PK is every bit as much of an owner that hires Gary Bettman, somehow I just can't see myself taking this out on any of the Hurricane players or ownership. I can blame them for years of el' cheapo, but in terms of negativity towards the canes organization, they immunized themselves in my eyes with this season's off-season moves. They ended El Cheapo, And really tried to put a great product on the ice this year. And that's all that matters.

Losing Ruutu just flat-out stinks, but I still cannot wait to see the Staal brothers, Semin, Skinner, Jussi, Cam, Faulk, Tlusty, et all.

Now getting back to the food and beverage credit, very nice move would be to keep that flat and not prorated. Are you reading this JR?

From the Twitterverse:

Bret Hedican ‏@BretHedican

I'm hearing that the #NHL #Lockout is over! Let's get back 2 watching the greatest gm on earth! & let's not allow this to ever happen again!

Bret Hedican ‏@BretHedican

Nothing official yet that I've heard, but several sources have said it's done. Let's hope this is Official!

Edited by InvisibleCane

If Hedican was using Jeff O'Neill's fake tweet as a reference then it's not done.

Other people are saying their still negotiating but want a deal done ASAP to get the paperwork flowing.

I hope it gets announced tonight, it would make the Checkers game that much more fun. But, still could take another day or two, from what I'm reading.

I am seeing a few mixed things as well, people saying its done, others saying it could be done as soon as late Sunday. Also hearing 50 game season, camp starting on the 12th. Nothing official of course but its good news when the rumors are about if its going to be over tonight or by Monday. Chex game should be lively if its over before game time.