The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

from r/hockey:BREAKING NEWS: The Toronto Maple Leafs have been officially eliminated from the playoffs.

coollaugh.gif

That post is quite witty and funny as h-e-double hockey sticks!

I've been pretty ticked at both sides during this whole lockout, and it's been pretty evident by my posts. My main reason is that both sides could have had a new CBA in place even before the lockout started if they would have had a true work ethic, a true commitment to the fans of NHL level hockey, and a true sense of how not playing can/will hurt them monetarily and in maintaining and growing its fan base.

Being in the military for over 20 years, I know the value of a good work ethic, instill it into my subordinates and expect it from my superiors. Leadership is also essential in the sense that, IMO, the 2 main persons involved in this did NOT show any to the hockey world and their respective constituents by their inaction of getting a deal done before the season started, and for allowing it to go this long....it only diminished the monetary benefits both sides were fighting to fairly achieve.

That being said, I'm glad the game is back, and it will be wonderful to follow the team again. I, too, have high hopes, but I do not have unrealistic expectations, and will understand if, due to a shortened season, they dynamics do not work our way we all hope it will. I will, and already do, however, hav a high expectation for the 2013-2014 season as well will benefit from a full season and a full training camp.

I do regret not being able to see the 'Canes play in Vancouver (near where I am based....game was missed on Oct. 15...but at the very least I'll be able to see the Checkers play in Abbottsford (Charlotte is my hometown).....and I do hope the league throws us a bone and gives us some free Center Ice so I can watch the 'Canes play.

I've been a fan since '98...and my first 'Canes games was that triple overtime playoff loss to Boston in Greensboro.

To all of the posters here, thanks for indulging my previous rants....just my way to vent. Happy New year and have fun at the PNC!! GAME ON!!

Picture caption anyone? :lol:

612-SmWoO.Em.55.jpeg

So I do all the work and Bettman grabs the headlines. It just isn't right.

x

612-SmWoO.Em.55.jpeg

Bill Daily: "There he goes, Gary is going to screw this up again...."

Gary Bettman: "We've bent absolutely as far as we can go and if the NHLPA can't.....blah blah blah....."

Anyone mind if we combine this thread into the CBA thread since there's the same discussion going on there?

Luke DeCock‏@LukeDeCock Canes among teams pushing hard for Columbus-Winnipeg division swap, which is still on the table.

Yes, please! IF this move is made, wonder if it would be just for the '13 season, or indefinitely.

I would like to see Nashville before Columbus more for geography reasons not competition, but I could live with Columbus.

Good write up in the Globe about whether or not fans will be coming back to the game:

NHL returns to ice; will fan reception be chilly?

There will be extensive spin now from players, saying they stood strong and won this thing. Rubbish. The league was painfully slow in putting a real offer on the table, which was both damaging and lamebrained. But much of the deal agreed upon Sunday was put on the table by owners on Oct. 16, and it then took the PA some five weeks to engage in meaningful dialogue around that offer.

Two weeks of hard bargaining off the October offer could have had the game restored by early November. Heel dragging, forever the DNA of the players’ union, will have erased 10 weeks worth of games, further damaging the image of the game in the public and corporate eye.

But now the healing begins, with fans and sponsors to determine the pace of recovery

I will keep it short and sweet....glad to have my boys back on the ice where they belong!! Here's to a great hockey half season!! GO CANES!!!

I will keep it short and sweet....glad to have my boys back on the ice where they belong!! Here's to a great hockey half season!! GO CANES!!!

Almost forgot.... GO CHECKERS as well!!! My semi-hometown team!!!! HAHA! Hope both my teams have great seasons!!

Caniacs! Are we ready for some hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea, baby.. I DONT CARE about the 2 clowns that lead the players and the owners, its OUR TIME NOW, and if CI could be free or discounted, the better.. LETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CANESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , BE GREAT TO TALK HOCKEY WITH ALL OF U FOR REAL..

Edited by dinz

Caniacs! Are we ready for some hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea, baby.. I DONT CARE about the 2 clowns that lead the players and the owners, its OUR TIME NOW, and if CI could be free or discounted, the better.. LETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CANESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO , BE GREAT TO TALK HOCKEY WUTH ALL OF U FOR REAL..

Right on Dinz!!!! GOOOOOO CANESSSSSSS!!! I apologize for the all-caps, just can't keep the excitement from expelling!!!

Those shmucks cost me seeing them in Dallas in November...thus denying me one last chance to see my Canes before I move in two weeks!!

:mad:

Those shmucks cost me seeing them in Dallas in November...thus denying me one last chance to see my Canes before I move in two weeks!!

:mad:

That stinks! The only thing better than hockey in HD is hockey live in 3D.

A motion has been made and seconded to close this lockout thread. I vote yes. It's been going on entirely too long and it's time to put it (and me) out of misery. And now you five or six guys finally have your life back. I now remove my helmet and get off my high horse.

Edited by g105

Hell no!

I've spent too much time in this thread for it to close now...wait a few more days until we get our pre-season thread up and running.

No way can we close it till we get to 150 pages :lol:

Just kidding. The new in season thread has been opened and the off season one put out of its misery. Its probably a good idea to keep this one available for those who want to voice their opinions since it'll be a few days for all the details to get finalized and made official. It sure will be nice to get that training camp and 1st gameday thread up and running :)

Yay!

just when I got used to following football, Fehr and Bettman had to go spoil the fun. I'm drawn between being ticked-off and happy for getting to watch half a season but, at least hockey is out of the conference room and back on the ice again where it belongs.

Yay!

just when I got used to following football, Fehr and Bettman had to go spoil the fun. I'm drawn between being ticked-off and happy for getting to watch half a season but, at least hockey is out of the conference room and back on the ice again where it belongs.

I actually started following basketball, something I thought I'd NEVER do. But I did it because I have a family member on a small NCAA college team. The games have been a ton of fun. Maybe only 100 or 200 fans, but lots of fun. And pretty good skill too!

Alas, hockey will suck me back in. It already has. :)

Edited by wxray1

They still have to approve it on both sides...and then they can announce the schedule...and then we can lock this bad boy down!

And fellow caniacs, we dont have to do that western road trip, how freakin cool is that? :twilight-zone:

It's funny, I don't feel anything... I would have imagined that I'd be really happy about this, but I'm just numb. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing something. Once the guys hit the ice officially I will probably get excited. I don't even remember what hockey looks like anymore.

And fellow caniacs, we dont have to do that western road trip, how freakin cool is that? :twilight-zone:

That's CRAP for me...now how am I gonna be able to follow them on the road? Oh wait, I'm moving to Germany...can they come over there and play a few Deutsch Ishockey Liga teams?

Besides Dinz, I will now have to get up at 1 am CET to be able to hound you on the chat room during games! ;)

Edited by AWACSooner