The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

New CBA or Lockout? "All things CBA"

My interpretation is that the owner's proposal is of most benefit to the small market fan. I really don't care about the top revenue team's net income if they can't pay players more than we can. Not sure the fans in Toronto see it that way, but they're not likely seeing the Cup there anytime sooner under the owner's proposal. In fact at their ticket prices they're being hammered.

Comes down to a fair wage for the players. A reasonable cap is what they should gun for, and maybe target post-career benefits from a high risk occupation. That would serve all players, not just the top earners.

I guess my biggest question is how is this owners greed? If I had purchased a business and was receiving less than 50% of the revenue, how come asking for more is greed.

Without the players, the 'business' is a logo and some laundry.

... and without the owners they are playing on ponds and living like the rest of us.

... and without the owners they are playing on ponds and living like the rest of us.

So I think we can then agree without a fair and equitable labor agreement between the owners and players we don't have hockey.

So when all these talks started, straight up, both sides should have said, lets think of what is best for the fans., who pay all this money, . not sure that was included..

What kills me is that with a lockout of any length, you are losing revenue that you would otherwise maintain or even grow, and pretty rapidly you waste any gains you would make in negotiation.

If you lose 1/2 of a season, and the fans are mad and you lose revenue for a few seasons until everyone comes back, it could take most of the next CBA period just to recover back to where you would have been in the first place if you just left the agreement as-is. On both sides.

Pretty stupid.

That doesn't sound like such a bad thing, actually.

Regardless, anyone who pretends that owning an NHL team is like running a Mom and Pop convenience store isn't playing with a full deck. It is more akin to the movie industry.. with the players in large print on the posters.

I realize there is less than an ice-cube's chances in Hell of contacting PK but is the any way of letting Canes' fans feelings about the CBA made known to him?

I don't want to jump to far into this conversation other then to say if the cap floor keeps rising, I don't see the Canes here in 10 years.

If PK each year can barely spend to the floor, when does his back finally break? I feel like each season we are playing Russian Roulette when the new cap comes out.

I ran into a guy on vacation from Ct, with bring the whale back shirt on, , i said i was a whaler fan , now canes fan, didnt seem impressed :), hes now a bruins fan.. FREAKIN money and greed ,really chives my u know what..How often in these so called "talks" has the fans been mentioned.. npt as much as revenue, cap, etc... :twilight-zone:

Here's an interesting article about the CBA talks from ESPN.

Why 50/50 isn't the answer

I found the following quote from Fehr interesting:

“There are no caps on what a general manager gets paid. There are no caps on a head coach, there are no caps on ticket prices, there are no caps on what a franchise sells for. There are no caps or limitations on anything except players’ salaries. So the fundamental question you have to ask if you’re going to go down that route is, ‘How in the world did you ever get into that situation?’ But the players have indicated, both the last time and this time, that in a maximum good faith effort to try and make an arrangement, they are willing to consider that.”

To this I'll add: there are no floors to GM pay. There is no floor on head coach salary. There is no guaranteed price of franchises. There is no guaranteed minimum wage to any employee -- oh wait, it is $7.25 per hour. The amount an NHL player makes in a microsecond.

He forgot that part.

I'm tired of these guys bargaining to the fans. Keep your dirty laundry to yourselves. It stinks to high get out.

I don't want to jump to far into this conversation other then to say if the cap floor keeps rising, I don't see the Canes here in 10 years. If PK each year can barely spend to the floor, when does his back finally break? I feel like each season we are playing Russian Roulette when the new cap comes out.

good argument. what happens to those teams whose revenue streams have problems reaching that level? I can see the need for a cap. Why is there a need for a floor?

I think there is a need for a floor to keep teams competitive. That helps grow the game and the TV share. I think the feeling was some owners may not stay competitive if they were not forced to at least spend to a salary minimum.

There is no guaranteed minimum wage to any employee -- oh wait, it is $7.25 per hour. The amount an NHL player makes in a microsecond.

Isn't that what Maurice was paid? Or was it that he was only worth that much... I forget.

I found the following quote from Fehr interesting:

“There are no caps on what a general manager gets paid. There are no caps on a head coach, there are no caps on ticket prices, there are no caps on what a franchise sells for. There are no caps or limitations on anything except players’ salaries. So the fundamental question you have to ask if you’re going to go down that route is, ‘How in the world did you ever get into that situation?’ But the players have indicated, both the last time and this time, that in a maximum good faith effort to try and make an arrangement, they are willing to consider that.”

To this I'll add: there are no floors to GM pay. There is no floor on head coach salary. There is no guaranteed price of franchises. There is no guaranteed minimum wage to any employee -- oh wait, it is $7.25 per hour. The amount an NHL player makes in a microsecond.

He forgot that part.

I'm tired of these guys bargaining to the fans. Keep your dirty laundry to yourselves. It stinks to high get out.

There may be a cap on player salaries, but there's also a minimum which happens to be $525,000. He forgot to mention that, as well.

It would be very educational to see the NHL teams use replacement players for a season. For all this talk about how players should be happy with whatever the owners decide to pay them, I wonder what the attendance would be to watch the Raleigh sub-Everblades. Same sweater, same arena, same ownership, just less talent.. shouldn't be too much change, eh?

TSN

The sides stepped away from negotiations last week with competing bids on the table and no clear road ahead. They spoke again over the weekend and agreed to devote sessions Wednesday and Thursday entirely to core economic issues -- the area where the parties seem to have the most ground to make up.

It looks like a couple of important days coming up.

Its like the anticipation of the old days before hoping for a date [high-school] waiting for the confirmation that u never get :twilight-zone:

It would be very educational to see the NHL teams use replacement players for a season. For all this talk about how players should be happy with whatever the owners decide to pay them, I wonder what the attendance would be to watch the Raleigh sub-Everblades. Same sweater, same arena, same ownership, just less talent.. shouldn't be too much change, eh?

Minor league hockey is a lot of fun. But there are two big issues aside from the lower talent.

1. Tickets cost around $20 for the best seats. Compare walk up on the glass Everblades: $42 vs. Canes: $300 vs. Rangers >$800.

2. Everblades arena holds 7,000 and I doubt its close to sold out. Put 3,000 people in the PNC center and you won't even know there's anyone there.

At least the serious major professional sports fans identify with the specific players on the team. I am all for some minor league hockey in the right context. In the minor league building.

For the NHL: bad idea.

Better then continuing the path we're on and enjoying the Quebec Hurricanes not too much change, eh?

Edited by legend-1

Tweet from: Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Bill Daly says this morning's meeting was to chart a way forward in talks, NHLPA requested afternoon session be delayed until tomorrow.

More delay. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Maybe Fehr needs to go visit players in S. America or something.

I wouldn't think there would be any reason for Bettman & Daily to meet with Fehr & Fehr unless they are trying to find common ground to hammer out a proposal. Nothing else can be gained from a secret and private meeting unless they are drawing up an agreement to be presented to their respective sides. . I am hopeful that by tomorrow both sides will have a better counter offer.

On the "oh really" side of things I just read that NBC pays the NHL $200 million this year even if the boys never skate a game. They just add a year to the TV deal when it is settled. I guess the owners can plan ahead.