The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
go_canes_go

Canes going after Rick Nash?

According to TSN, Canes are 1 of 7 teams interested in Nash:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398436

According to NHL.com it's now 10 teams.

They did mention that Nashville will want some offense coming back, so that does make it tough for us to have the right pieces.

Nash and EStaal would sell some tickets though. I know I'd be all over seeing that.

Edited by remkin

Just a mildly interesting update. I was trying to decide whether to extend my trial of xm and I was listening to NHL radio, and the guy who wrote that article for NHL.com about Nash and 10 teams, was asked point blank who he predicted would get Nash. His answer was the NYR, BUT after throwing in a couple of other usual suspects, San Jose, Philly, he said one team not to count out that was "waiting in the weeds" was Carolina.

Also interesting about the Nash thing, is that while we'd have two of the top paid players in the league, Nash would still fall under Staal, just in case that mattered.

Also, I have no doubt that Parise will get more that Nash costs.

The problem is that Columbus needs to get scoring back. If we trade scoring, we'll need to go find yet another top 6 guy somewhere. Might still be worth doing though.

Another source in Ohio...

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634809

Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch ... reported the New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks and Toronto Maple Leafs -- all teams reported to be interested in February -- are among those in the hunt for Nash, while the Carolina Hurricanes have joined the fray.

icon_applause2.gif

Related... perhaps the Leafs are not on the short list!

Damien Cox reports... Maple Leafs likely to pass on Rick Nash, pitch for Roberto Luongo.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1211958--cox-maple-leafs-likely-to-pass-on-rick-nash-pitch-for-roberto-luongo

So perhaps the Rick Nash short list looks more like this...

1) New York Rangers

2) Philadelphia Flyers

3) Carolina Hurricanes

4) San Jose Sharks

Maybe in that order too?

Related... perhaps the Leafs are not on the short list!

Damien Cox reports... Maple Leafs likely to pass on Rick Nash, pitch for Roberto Luongo.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1211958--cox-maple-leafs-likely-to-pass-on-rick-nash-pitch-for-roberto-luongo

So perhaps the Rick Nash short list looks more like this...

1) New York Rangers

2) Philadelphia Flyers

3) Carolina Hurricanes

4) San Jose Sharks

Maybe in that order too?

3 perennial contenders and us. Think you may want to flip-flop Flyers and Sharks. Bleacher Report, I think, make it sound like NYR has it sewn up. Let's see if JR can pull an upset!!

I thought this was a Nash thread Franchise? :)

Still think Nash goes somewhere before the draft, but I have a feeling it won't be to us. It still feels a little strange to hear us mentioned going after the big names like Nash though.

Edited by coastal_caniac

We could get real serious, real quick with a guy like him on the team.

But man what does it cost to get him? I mean usually to get a guy like that your talking about dealing a decent amount of your future away.

But man what does it cost to get him? I mean usually to get a guy like that your talking about dealing a decent amount of your future away.

It could cost lots and I'm not sure we have the quality of assets NYR does. But it makes you a little giddy to be mentioned as a bidder for a top tier player.

OMG, with Staal setting him up and Nash opening up ice for Eric, they could both have 40 goals next year.

idont want to say, get rid of 2 starters, and number 8 overall, and top prospect for nash, i think its too much..and i know u have to give up something to get something, but please let brandon stay JR..

Don't know if you saw anything from another board, but Columbus fans liked Sutter, McBain, Daple, 1st. That is quite a package. Nash worth it? Also, does that package mean we're out of the running to get J.Staal?

Someone brought up Whitney coming back here. Can you imagine a first line of Whitney Staal Nash. Oye.

Don't know if you saw anything from another board, but Columbus fans liked Sutter, McBain, Daple, 1st. That is quite a package. Nash worth it? Also, does that package mean we're out of the running to get J.Staal?

Someone brought up Whitney coming back here. Can you imagine a first line of Whitney Staal Nash. Oye.

That package may not be enough to top what the NYR's rumored offer is. He's worth whatever we pay if we make the playoff's next year and each year after that.

That package may not be enough to top what the NYR's rumored offer is. He's worth whatever we pay if we make the playoff's next year and each year after that.

See, it didn't really sound like enough to me either, but a lot of Columbus fans were saying stuff like, "Columbus might have to add to Nash to make that deal work."

It doesn't make sense to me unless we are going to get J. Staal or another center. Including Sutter in a Nash deal woul leave us with only E. Staal and Tim Brent as the only experienced centers. But it would probable take a deal like that and maybe adding another player.

It doesn't make sense to me unless we are going to get J. Staal or another center. Including Sutter in a Nash deal woul leave us with only E. Staal and Tim Brent as the only experienced centers. But it would probable take a deal like that and maybe adding another player.

Wow. Good point. So, would/could JR get both Nash and J.Staal in the same offseason?

First on Sutter, McBain, Dalpe and 1st for Nash: DONE!!!!! Where do we sign? Heck I'd throw in Boychuk and one our our second rounders, and I'd wear a Columbus Jersey every time they come to town.

Yes, we'd have to go get another center, and I love Sutter, but if we can get Nash for that package it would be a steal. We'll just have to find a center somewhere.

First on Sutter, McBain, Dalpe and 1st for Nash: DONE!!!!! Where do we sign? Heck I'd throw in Boychuk and one our our second rounders, and I'd wear a Columbus Jersey every time they come to town.

Yes, we'd have to go get another center, and I love Sutter, but if we can get Nash for that package it would be a steal. We'll just have to find a center somewhere.

haha. I'm guessing Columbus fans are overvaluing Dalpe because he played with the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Edited by jeromeo87

Foolish me. I believe JR will go for Nash and Staal. Sutter almost has to be part of it somehow, if JR goes for both guys. Staal alone is not what the Canes need unless Sutter goes for Nash. Don't think JR would trade Sutter for Staal; although I feel Jordan is slightly better offensively, it's not enough to make it worthwhile.

To get Nash it will probably take Sutter and 4 more good assets incl our 1st rounder this year (& next year?).

From the N&O....

"What would the Canes be willing to give up for Nash? Likely their first-round pick – No. 8 overall – in this week’s NHL Entry Draft, some roster players and some of their top prospects. But Carolina apparently is not willing to make such players as Staal, Jeff Skinner, Cam Ward, Brandon Sutter or Justin Faulk a part of any trade."

Hey guys! Long time lurker, but I finally decided to create an account and post something only because I just wrote an article about NOT signing a big name free agent in the off season. How would signing Nash or Parise help fill all of the holes we have on the roster? It doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't we better served singing 3 lower rung forwards to fill out our roster with better talent (I suggested Parenteau, Hudler and Ray Ray, but there are a couple other pretty good options also) for around the same price as a super 1 star forward?

Hey guys! Long time lurker, but I finally decided to create an account and post something only because I just wrote an article about NOT signing a big name free agent in the off season. How would signing Nash or Parise help fill all of the holes we have on the roster? It doesn't make much sense. Wouldn't we better served singing 3 lower rung forwards to fill out our roster with better talent (I suggested Parenteau, Hudler and Ray Ray, but there are a couple other pretty good options also) for around the same price as a super 1 star forward?

The problem with that plan is that we already have a ton of guys under contract for next year. We simply don't have room on the roster for several FA additions (unless we feel like dumping roster players for picks).

This is why I feel like we should pursue the trade market. Clear space and upgrade talent at the same time. We just need to make sure we don't sweeten the pot too much just for the sake of getting a deal done.

The problem with that plan is that we already have a ton of guys under contract for next year. We simply don't have room on the roster for several FA additions (unless we feel like dumping roster players for picks).

This is why I feel like we should pursue the trade market. Clear space and upgrade talent at the same time. We just need to make sure we don't sweeten the pot too much just for the sake of getting a deal done.

Well, yea. You'd have to dump some guys. Stewart, LaRose, Bychuk would be at the top of my list, scrap them and get a draft pick or 2, and we'd still be well under the cap even if it stays at $70MM.