The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
go_canes_go

Canes going after Rick Nash?

First on Sutter, McBain, Dalpe and 1st for Nash: DONE!!!!! Where do we sign? Heck I'd throw in Boychuk and one our our second rounders, and I'd wear a Columbus Jersey every time they come to town.

Yes, we'd have to go get another center, and I love Sutter, but if we can get Nash for that package it would be a steal. We'll just have to find a center somewhere.

sorry rem, no way in sundays, do i want sutter and faulk to go... i will wait till offseason to get jordan.. shero will outright undress JR , if he gets Sutter and faulk..and he leave me totally ticked..

In a thinner Free Agent year, Ray is being projected to be amongst the most sought-after UFAs, despite being 40 thanks to his phenomenal year. Word is we could be in the hunt for him to bring him home, but loyalty goes far and Phoenix probably gets the edge at this point because they believed in him when they gave him that two-year deal and they showed this year they are closer to winning it all with the pieces they have than we are.

As much as I want him here, I would hope wherever he goes he gets the $ that he showed he deserves, even if it is elsewhere.

Nash would be great. Let's bring back Whitney. He's an UFA and we need some veterans on both sides.

I think Faulk helped open the door last year for Pitkanen's exit. He can play big time minutes, which is Pitkanen's main addition to the team and Faulk has more upside.

Package a pick and a couple of the projects with him and send it out.

I think Nash could be a good fit here, he supposedly actually likes Columbus and it is a small market, so he is not apposed to playing in a smaller market city. Hopefully last year was just an off-season because I don't want 2011-2012 Nash!

L

From the N&O....

"What would the Canes be willing to give up for Nash? Likely their first-round pick – No. 8 overall – in this week’s NHL Entry Draft, some roster players and some of their top prospects. But Carolina apparently is not willing to make such players as Staal, Jeff Skinner, Cam Ward, Brandon Sutter or Justin Faulk a part of any trade."

Thank goodness. I would not give up Sutter or Faulk for Nash. McBain, Dalpe, 1st yes. A couple more 1st/2nd picks. Any two or maybe even three more Checkers. LaRose, Stewart, Joslin. Jokinen? Would hate to lose him. Think I'd let it ride and hope for better options elsewhere. Nash's salary is the real sticker here, bringing him in is a very risky move. Granted a Parise would make that much but you would still have all those parts for another deal, which will be needed to shore up the D.

Personally I'd rather see us be in on Suter (not that I think we have a chance there). Asking price and risk is just too high on Nash.

I'm thinking the only true untouchables on the team are Staal, Ward, Skinner, and Faulk. Those are the true top line or potential top line guys on the team right now. Obviously, you have some guys with NTC (Ruutu and Gleason) and they won't be dealt. Sutter is a very good player and I would HATE to lose him, but if he gets us Nash or Ryan, that's the way the ball bounces. But pretty much everyone else I would imagine is on the table. Now what everyone else would get us is another story.

This is the first offseason in a few years where we've explicitly expressed a desire to spend. I'm anxious to see how that plays out.

I definitely wouldn't mind if some of the following were dealt to get what is needed:

Pitkanen

LaRose

Boychuk

Bowman

McBain

Wouldn't want to see Sutter or Faulk go. On the fence about Ruuuuuuu.

The rumours about what the Rangers are offering up for Nash make me believe that the 'Canes have no shot.

That's cool. If there is any chance of getting Parise out of Jersey, I say go for it (though I think he's probably staying put).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/17936/luongo-nash-survive-trade-winds-at-draft

"It might surprise some that the Hurricanes are in the mix, especially after picking up Jordan Staal Friday. But a source confirmed that Carolina is intent on staying in the race for Nash"

Thank you Jeromeo87 for posting this in the other thread. As I said in the other thread, now that we traded Sutter and our 1st round pick, I can't realistically see us trading for a player of Rick Nash's talent with what few assests we have that we're willing to trade. JR would be a genius if he could get Rick Nash without trading Skinner or Faulk (I don't think he would trade them at all anyway). Well, we can certainly take on Nash's salary since we're below the cap floor.

Based on that article, I don't think Nash will be traded before July 1.

Edited by Mercury-VII

I think, and most canes fans won't like this, but in order to get Nash, it will cost us Jokinen, Ruutu, and any one of Faulk/Harrison/Mcbain.

I believe Ruutu has a NTC that kicks in on July 1 (correct me if I'm wrong). I would be fine with any of the players that you listed being traded for Nash except Faulk. That would be quite difficult for me to accept trading Faulk, but I don't rule it out entirely to get Nash. We would get an all star winger locked up for years if we actually somehow pulled the trade off. Another asset we would likely consider trading is our 2013 1st round pick.

Like others on this board, I don't want to trade Faulk and certainly not Skinner in order to get a top winger (even if I have wanted a top winger for years). However, I think overall Nash is the player worth throwing an extra piece at to obtain. He's the type of player that is so talented, he can push a team to be a cup contender. All sentiments aside for our young stars, if Nash gets us in the playoffs year after year (and perhaps wins a cup with us), isn't that what ultimately matters? I'm sure there are some people that want to hold on to as many of our players as possible. But in the end this is a business. With Jordan Staal and Rick Nash, this organization would be selling tickets like hot cakes.

If we do trade Pitkanen/McBain/Faulk and maybe Ryan Murphy, our blue line would weaken, but are offense would definitely improve. However, I think the Jackets are overall already stacked on defenseman, and therefore wouldn't really want defensemen. But if we package one or more defensemen with one or two forwards, perhaps they'll bite. Another prospect that may be appealing to the Jackets is centerman Zac Dalpe. He played for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Whatever holes we would have after this mega trade, we'd most likely have to fill them with UFA(s) and not through trades.

Awhile ago I looked at highlight reels of Rick Nash on Youtube, and man what a shooter! Has great puck handling aswell. I still think another team will likely get Nash though. I just don't think we have enough assets to trade compared to other teams. Hope I'm wrong. If we do pick him up, JR and company won't have to worry about reaching the cap floor anymore :D I'm still shocked the Canes are still in the race for Nash (if that anonymous source mentioned in the ESPN article is to be believed). If someone gets Bobby Ryan, and maybe Parise (I think he'll stay with the Devils), don't the Canes think that will drive up the demand for Nash? I just don't understand. Is JR praying for a miracle?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/17936/luongo-nash-survive-trade-winds-at-draft

"It might surprise some that the Hurricanes are in the mix, especially after picking up Jordan Staal Friday. But a source confirmed that Carolina is intent on staying in the race for Nash"

Man, it's been a while since I've posted on here...

Anyway, I was pretty gung-ho about us trading for Nash going into the Draft. I felt like the combination of skill and name recognition would do wonders for the franchise. However, after the Jordan Staal trade, I've really cooled on Nash.

I know he's being dragged down by a pretty abysmal Columbus team and that stats can be misleading, but his recenter point production just doesn't seem to match Howson's asking price. Ideally, would I love to have him on the team? Absolutely! Would I give up our most promising defenseman to do it? Absolutely not! And since we already used our first and Sutter for J. Staal, our tradeable assets have quickly gone dry.

If we could get him for Jussi, Ruutu, and McBain, I say go for it, but Faulk should be out of the question.

Honestly, I would rather us sign a second-tier winger in FA and go after a first-tier defenseman. Our goal-scoring isn't terrible, but our shots against is. Get a little more scoring up front with J. Staal + reasonably-priced winger and get Cam help in the back, we're pushing hard for the playoffs. Add another piece or two at the trade deadline, we're be some top seed's living nightmare.

Honestly, I would rather us sign a second-tier winger in FA and go after a first-tier defenseman. Our goal-scoring isn't terrible, but our shots against is. Get a little more scoring up front with J. Staal + reasonably-priced winger and get Cam help in the back, we're pushing hard for the playoffs. Add another piece or two at the trade deadline, we're be some top seed's living nightmare.

At this point I feel the same. We got our top 6 (Staal) and now need that tougher 4th liner and to figure out our D. I wouldn't walk from Nash if the price was right but honestly it appears the price will be to steep. We do still have to address a wing for Staal or second line center if we go with Staal x 2 on the first line but I don't think either replacement will be that "elite" type.

Count me in the camp with KyBaker and OBXer. Adding JStaal creates several new top 6 options but if they don't figure out how to lower the shots against, they're still going to lose a lot of games. I would much rather the Canes use whatever assets they'd use for Nash to be in the mix for Suter. Probably a long shot but either way, defense needs to be a priority now imo.

Welcome back KyBaker :)

Count me in the camp with KyBaker and OBXer. Adding JStaal creates several new top 6 options but if they don't figure out how to lower the shots against, they're still going to lose a lot of games. I would much rather the Canes use whatever assets they'd use for Nash to be in the mix for Suter. Probably a long shot but either way, defense needs to be a priority now imo.

Welcome back KyBaker :)

Theoretically, you could go after both because Nash is a trade of assets while Suter is "cash only" (or a big credit card!).

Theoretically, you could go after both because Nash is a trade of assets while Suter is "cash only" (or a big credit card!).

Then you do it and let the chips fall where they may, which is what they're doing when you read the Canes are in the mix for any of these possible deals. Good for JR for going for it, its been a long time coming.

Saw this on yardbarker.com concerning Nash:

For all you Bruins fans, consider this. According to an ESPN.com report, the B's were said to have inquired about Nash -- although the talks were apparently just exploratory -- and the feeling around the NHL is that Boston would have to part ways with either Tyler Seguin or Dougie Hamilton as part of any deal for Nash. Crazy, right?

I'd say for the Canes that translates to Skinner or Faulk. So until the asking price lowers we can forget about Nash. I'm guessing Columbus is waiting until Parise signs in hopes that one of the teams missing on Parise will fork over something absurd for Nash.

Posted this in the off-season thread, but it belongs here as well.

OTTAWA CITIZEN: Allen Panzeri reports the Senators aren’t on Rick Nash’s list of preferred trade destinations, but that could change as the Senators appear to be the only serious bidders. The San Jose Sharks are believed to have dropped out of the bidding, while the NY Rangers turn their focus toward New Jersey Devils pending UFA Zach Parise.

If SJS dropped out, that leaves OTT and CAR. PHI traded JVR, NYR moved on to Ryan. Truth is though, a lot can change depending on what shakes down on July 1st.

Tlusty

Pitkanen

Ryan Murphy

Zac Dalpe

Plus next year’s #1

for

Rick "Superstar" Nash

Good or “overpaying”???

Not enough. We are going to have to give up Jussi or Skinner for Nash.

Tlusty

Pitkanen

Ryan Murphy

Zac Dalpe

Plus next year’s #1

for

Rick "Superstar" Nash

Good or “overpaying”???

Over-payment; also, they wouldn't want Pitkanen. They have too many players like him as it is.

Jokinen

McBain

Murphy and or Dalpe

Next years 1st

I wouldn't mind that. Perhaps it can be argued that Jokinen is a poor man's Rick Nash. The only player I wouldn't be very willing to trade is Ryan Murphy. But I still would trade him to get Nash.

Ok, that's all the arm chair GM I'm going to be for today.

I think Columbus would want 2 forwards from the current roster plus high potential prospects. So maybe:

Jokinen

Tlusty

Dalpe

Sanguinetti

If we bring back Whitney for a year top six could be:

Nash Staal Whitney

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Then next year replace Whitney with someone from better FA crop.

I think Columbus would want 2 forwards from the current roster plus high potential prospects. So maybe:

Jokinen

Tlusty

Dalpe

Sanguinetti

If we bring back Whitney for a year top six could be:

Nash Staal Whitney

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Then next year replace Whitney with someone from better FA crop.

...plus Canes' 2013 1st round pick.