The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
go_canes_go

Canes going after Rick Nash?

If any of these offers are what it's going to take for Nash, I'll pass. People talk about trading Sutter opening a hole, try filling 2-3 more roster spots with either FA's or prospects. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success, at least to me. One top 6, sure see what you can do. Two top 6 ++? No thanks.

I think Columbus would want 2 forwards from the current roster plus high potential prospects. So maybe:

Jokinen

Tlusty

Dalpe

Sanguinetti

If we bring back Whitney for a year top six could be:

Nash Staal Whitney

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Then next year replace Whitney with someone from better FA crop.

Replace Sanguinetti with McBain, and you probably have a deal. Ouch. I still might do it. Nash is one of those players where if he's available, you do everything you can to get him. A lot of people say he's overrated, I don't think so. Nash is a beast of a player and worth every penny he makes.

Whitney Staal Nash

Skinner Staal Ruutu

Dwyer Welsh/Brent LaRose

Nodl Welsh/Brent FA

Gleason FA/(Allen?)

Pitkanen Faulk

Harrison Murphy

Edited by jeromeo87

I think Columbus would want 2 forwards from the current roster plus high potential prospects. So maybe:

Jokinen

Tlusty

Dalpe

Sanguinetti

I would take that deal in a minute to land NASH. Nothing else to think about.

A guy like NASH comes around every 30-40 years!!!!

Watch this....

Johnnyg Hockey‏@JohnnygHockey - "@ice_chip some rumors have #Canes still in Nash talks, what is your opinion on that?"

Chip Alexander‏@ice_chip - "@JohnnygHockey Some truth to that, IMO"

Wow alot of dreamers on here!! We're not getting Nash unless Skinner is involved in the deal!!!! They're not gonna take a bunch of junk for a superstar!! They will get what they want from another team, not us. I like the person that thinks we're gonna get Nash and Whitney. Wouldnt that be wonderful, pigs are flying outside my window too!!

This is what I think it would take to get the deal done, which I would not want.

Skinner

Faulk

Dalpe

Nash

No way we're gonna do it.

Jokinen

Tlusty

Dalpe

Sanguinetti

I'm curious. Do you honestly think that you would be out-bidding a bunch of other teams with your proposal to land a 70+ pt. winger who is under contract for six more years??

If I was Howson I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to call back when you were serious (even IF for some miraculous reason the Canes were on Nash's short list of teams he wouldn't mind being traded to AND he would approve to come here). I could see Jussi being in the mix but Tlusty, Dalpe and Sangs don't come to mind to round off the two proven veteran NHL forwards and two high-end prospects I'd be looking for.

I'm curious. Do you honestly think that you would be out-bidding a bunch of other teams with your proposal to land a 70+ pt. winger who is under contract for six more years??

If I was Howson I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to call back when you were serious (even IF for some miraculous reason the Canes were on Nash's short list of teams he wouldn't mind being traded to AND he would approve to come here). I could see Jussi being in the mix but Tlusty, Dalpe and Sangs don't come to mind to round off the two proven veteran NHL forwards and two high-end prospects I'd be looking for.

No I doubt we would outbid anybody. And I kinda doubt we were on his original list of teams. So unless he changes his mind it's all basically dreaming anyway. That was more what I'd be willing to give up should Columbus lower the asking price. Based on the rumored must haves like Couture, Seguin, Kreider, Del Zotto. That means Skinner and Faulk for us and JR's not doing that, I would hope. And if SJ, Bos, NY keep saying no way then they'll have to ask for less at some point. Even then we'll get outbid I think. But I just said two roster players not proven veterans. And of the canes top six last year those are the two I'd be okay with losing. As far as the prospects, I could handle losing any of them in a Nash deal. I just picked those 2 because they have been called up and were considered by some, possible candidates to make the team. I guess what I would say to Columbus is subtract Staal, Staal, Skinner, Ruutu, Faulk. Take any other 4 players and next years first round pick. If they get more elsewhere then so be it.

No I doubt we would outbid anybody. And I kinda doubt we were on his original list of teams. So unless he changes his mind it's all basically dreaming anyway. That was more what I'd be willing to give up should Columbus lower the asking price. Based on the rumored must haves like Couture, Seguin, Kreider, Del Zotto. That means Skinner and Faulk for us and JR's not doing that, I would hope. And if SJ, Bos, NY keep saying no way then they'll have to ask for less at some point. Even then we'll get outbid I think. But I just said two roster players not proven veterans. And of the canes top six last year those are the two I'd be okay with losing. As far as the prospects, I could handle losing any of them in a Nash deal. I just picked those 2 because they have been called up and were considered by some, possible candidates to make the team. I guess what I would say to Columbus is subtract Staal, Staal, Skinner, Ruutu, Faulk. Take any other 4 players and next years first round pick. If they get more elsewhere then so be it.

Ouch, that would be mortgaging the future pretty badly. I'm having a hard time believing so many would be willing to give up so much for one player. I know he's good, and maybe even great but how many more holes are people willing to create just to get one guy?

I really have a hard time believing we are realistically considering giving up what Howson wants for Nash on the heels of signing Staal 11. No thanks.

Turn around JR, our blueline is the other way. :whip:

We should give-up on mega trades like Nash. We do not have the quality or depth to make it possible. FA is the way for us to go, either this year (Semin) or next year.

This off-season we can look at quality d-man, a Plan B forward similar to Setaguchi (trade), and a gritty guy like Gaustad, Burish, Prust, Pyatt, or Moen.

Anybody not looking for Ryan Suter to be that next top defensive player for us? I'd like to see him on our team specially with Pitkanen or Gleason. Now that we got that top player for forwards we need to be concentrating on defense?

Edited by JDMayo

Ouch, that would be mortgaging the future pretty badly. I'm having a hard time believing so many would be willing to give up so much for one player. I know he's good, and maybe even great but how many more holes are people willing to create just to get one guy?

I think Howson is going to regret holding out like this. There is a good chance that Nash's trade value increases after the big name FAs are signed, but there's also a good chance that the teams that wanted Nash could sign those big name FAs. If the latter happens, we could see his trade value drop drastically.

I believe Howson said he was fine going into the season with Nash on the roster, but he shouldn't be. From all reports I've heard, Nash is none too happy with the lack of a trade. He doesn't care what his trade value is, he just wants out and who could blame him?

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Every time I watched a game last season it seemed like 45 minutes of it was spent in our d-zone chasing the puck around. We have got to limit shots or Ward is going to fall over dead before he's 30. I'm willing to bet that better defensive play will lead to a bit more offense as well. You can't score from the d-zone.

(Well...not usually.)

I really have a hard time believing we are realistically considering giving up what Howson wants for Nash on the heels of signing Staal 11. No thanks.

I'm with you on this. I just can't see how the Canes have the assets that Howson is searching for after making the JStaal trade. I think he is the only elite level forward that comes in this year. It will take Skinner in the package to land Nash and I don't see JR willing to do that.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Every time I watched a game last season it seemed like 45 minutes of it was spent in our d-zone chasing the puck around. We have got to limit shots or Ward is going to fall over dead before he's 30. I'm willing to bet that better defensive play will lead to a bit more offense as well. You can't score from the d-zone.

(Well...not usually.)

I also agree that the Canes blue line needs some help. What I don't know is who does JR dump in order to make those changes. Right now the D signed for this year are Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain, Faulk, Harrison, and Joslin. Murphy probably makes the squad too since he's too young for the NHL and I don't see JR sending him back to Kitchener. That makes 7, and oh, by the way, many here are hoping to see Allen return. You can't keep everybody and make major changes on the blue line.

Joslin is an easy one to eliminate, but after that, who is going to make room for the D-man that is going to help keep Ward's neck from being sunburned by the goal light?

Found this article today on Suter

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/adrian_dater/06/29/NHL-free-agents-predictions/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

Ryan Suter, Nashville Predators

Best fit: Carolina Hurricanes

Hear me out: Suter has talked some about wanting to play in an NHL city that's family-friendly, where he could raise his kids. The Raleigh-Durham Triangle area is tough to beat. Players who play for the Hurricanes rave about it, with many choosing to retire there.

Besides, this is going to be a very good team again. The 'Canes still have a young, top goalie in Cam Ward and just recently added Jordan Staal. Carolina could use a leader on the blue line, so it's a good place for Suter to escape the shadow of Shea Weber. If he went to Detroit? Sorry, too much pressure there. Everybody will be comparing him to Lidstrom, and that's not fair.

The 'Canes have $22 million of cap room. Plus, owner Peter Karmanos knows Detroit wants Suter badly, and he still has a huge rivalry with Wings owner Mike Ilitch. (Remember that Sergei Fedorov offer sheet in 1998?) What better way to improve your team -- and stick it to your rival? Suter and the Hurricanes are a natural fit.

Found this article today on Suter

http://sportsillustr...ef=twitter_feed

Ryan Suter, Nashville Predators

Best fit: Carolina Hurricanes

Hear me out: Suter has talked some about wanting to play in an NHL city that's family-friendly, where he could raise his kids. The Raleigh-Durham Triangle area is tough to beat. Players who play for the Hurricanes rave about it, with many choosing to retire there.

Besides, this is going to be a very good team again. The 'Canes still have a young, top goalie in Cam Ward and just recently added Jordan Staal. Carolina could use a leader on the blue line, so it's a good place for Suter to escape the shadow of Shea Weber. If he went to Detroit? Sorry, too much pressure there. Everybody will be comparing him to Lidstrom, and that's not fair.

The 'Canes have $22 million of cap room. Plus, owner Peter Karmanos knows Detroit wants Suter badly, and he still has a huge rivalry with Wings owner Mike Ilitch. (Remember that Sergei Fedorov offer sheet in 1998?) What better way to improve your team -- and stick it to your rival? Suter and the Hurricanes are a natural fit.

Oh please, oh please......what an offseason this could be!

This would offset the loss of Doumalin and our pick.

Thus replace Brandon Sutter with a simlar player and boom! This team is hugely better on both sides.

Edited by remkin

Let's move on from Nash. He would have been really special to get but the CBJ GM is delusional, at best.

We can still look to trade for Bobby Ryan but with FA starting tomorrow, let's go big for a wing and a d-man. Doing a trade I guess could be Plan B. RFA Perron maybe a trade possibility.

Wow alot of dreamers on here!! We're not getting Nash unless Skinner is involved in the deal!!!! They're not gonna take a bunch of junk for a superstar!! They will get what they want from another team, not us. I like the person that thinks we're gonna get Nash and Whitney. Wouldnt that be wonderful, pigs are flying outside my window too!!

This is what I think it would take to get the deal done, which I would not want.

Skinner

Faulk

Dalpe

Nash

No way we're gonna do it.

I honestly feel like you are waaay off here. Howson is crazy enough to ask for someone like Skinner. But just like what happened when he asked for Logan Couture, he was quickly denied.

I think CBJ will be looking for 2 top 6 forwards, a top prospect, and a 1st round pick. Jokinen and Tlusty are top 6 forwards. The top prospect would be interesting - here in Carolina, we dont really view Dalpe has a top tier prospect; however, a lot of CBJ fans really like Dalpe, since he played college there. Who knows, maybe CBJ management likes Dalpe for that same reason. Or maybe they would prefer Rask. Also, it's been written that CBJ doesn't want a dman.

I think a package of Jokinen, Tlusty, Rask/Daple, 1st is a respectable one. With that being said, it's been rumored that San Jose offered something involving Pavelski and Clowe. That sounds A LOT better..

Speaking of San Jose.. Marleau anyone? He's being tangled..

It's a far shot for Nash, but I'm a dreamer.

In all honesty, I doubt we'll get him. We would have to part ways with too many players, and Nash is just one man.

When asked what piece the Canes were willing to trade for Nash, Luke DeCock had this to say:

Luke DeCock‏@LukeDeCock

@EastCoastCane Murphy would be part of a deal, 99 percent chance of that.

I certainly think Jokinen would be on the trading block so Columbus would get a much needed top 6 forward. Besides Jokinen and Murphy, I'm not sure what we would trade. 2013 1st round pick? Tlusty?

In today's N&O...from Nash's camp, Canes not on his list of teams and that's not likely to changed. JR spinning his wheels?

Maybe he should focus on Ryan, Perron, Seyaguchi, etc. if he wants to do a trade instead of these FA bidding matches. Or look at FA's Doan and Semin.

In today's N&O...from Nash's camp, Canes not on his list of teams and that's not likely to changed. JR spinning his wheels?

Maybe he should focus on Ryan, Perron, Seyaguchi, etc. if he wants to do a trade instead of these FA bidding matches. Or look at FA's Doan and Semin.

I could be wrong, but I never remember JR talking about Nash. All the talk has been here and elsewhere from "sources". Those sources may have seen scouts, heard of idle interest, had agents flapping jaws, etc. But it doesn't necessarily mean JR is really going for him.

When it comes to trades, JR has strictly spoken generically.

Edited by wxray1

Jeff Skinner has only one more year left on his contract before he is a RFA. We need to ink him now he will be better for us than Nash. He needs to be here long as the Staal brothers will be. In these trades for Ryan or Nash we would have to give up a lot. I rather give the guys from the AHL to give them a chance to make a team before trading for Skinner etc.

It's over, Canes are out per Darren Dreger: Twitter "Carolina Hurricanes are no longer persuing Rick Nash. Cost way too high. CBJ believed to be after Jeff Skinner. Non-starter."

Howson is an idiot, not surprised he would ask for Skinner. Probably wanted Faulk and Murphy too.

Glad this is over, you just know the price is going to be ridiculous on this one.

It looks like we can finally put this to rest, from TSN:

The Columbus Dispatch reported on Tuesday that there are six teams he would be willing to be traded to - the Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400350

This article is just reiterating everything we already know. I'm currently listening to Aaron Portzline on TSN radio; he said Rick Nash is a quiet guy who just wants to play hockey and then put it down when he goes home. He said Nash doesn't want to be in an area where he can't go out without being jostled by media/fans. This is why I think if JR makes a package Howson likes, Nash may add Carolina to his list.

The only thing going against us is Portzline said Nash wants to win and he wants to win now. The teams on his list have a much better track record then Carolina does.