The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Canes Acquire Jordan Staal for 8th pick, Brandon Sutter and Dumo

Per NBC Sports Network.

Jordan Staal for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, and the 8th overall pick.

Video Replay of the Draft trade for Jordan Staal

Jim Rutherford on TSN

Official Press release:

Hurricanes Acquire Jordan Staal from Pittsburgh

Carolina sends Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin and the eighth overall pick in 2012 to Penguins

Friday, 06.22.2012 / 8:05 PM / News By Ken Preston

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired center Jordan Staal from the Pittsburgh Penguins. In exchange for Staal, Carolina has traded center Brandon Sutter, defenseman Brian Dumoulin and its first-round pick (8th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft to the Penguins. “Jordan is an elite two-way player who possesses a rare combination of speed, size, scoring ability and defensive responsibility,” said Rutherford. “For his young age, he has a wealth of NHL experience, including winning the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2009. And he is obviously a natural fit for our team in joining our captain, his older brother Eric.

“We want to thank Brandon Sutter for his time in Carolina. He has been a very good player for our team, and we wish both Brandon and Brian the best as their careers continue.”

Staal, 23, completed his sixth NHL season in 2011-12, posting career highs in assists (25) and points (50), and a career second-best 25 goals, despite playing in just 62 of Pittsburgh’s 82 regular-season games. The Thunder Bay, Ont., native added six goals and three assists (9 points) to lead the Penguins in scoring in their six-game, first-round playoff series against Philadelphia.

In six NHL seasons with Pittsburgh, Staal (6’4”, 220 lbs.) has scored 120 goals, earned 128 assists and posted a plus-53 plus/minus rating in 431 regular-season games. The Penguins have qualified for the playoffs in each of his six seasons, and he captured the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2009. In 73 career Stanley Cup playoff games, he has scored 23 goals and earned 13 assists (36 points). The Penguins selected Staal in the first round, second overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He is the younger brother of Hurricanes captain Eric Staal.

f580aeecbccb11e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg

I honestly think we blew all our assets in one deal. I mean I'm thrilled we have Jordan, but I think those three assets shouldn't have been in one deal. One or two maybe, but I think Sutter and the 8th overall should have been involved in different trades. But let's take a closer look:

We traded a young two-way center with decent offensive upside in Sutter, a defensive prospect that is on the brink of making the NHL Jump in Dumoulin, and a pick that we could have used to draft Forsberg. In exchange we get Jordan Staal, most likely for the rest of his career.

Jordan has better upside offensively in my opinion, and there's the whole family ties he has with our captain. That can help the locker room or hurt it, but I lean towards help it. It also gives Staal someone that won't be leaving anytime soon (look at Staal's reactions the seasons after his linemates walked in FA or were traded). Jordan also helps immediately. He makes the team more marketable as well. I believe Sutter for Jordan we got the better end, the 8th evens it, and then adding Dumo gave Pittsburgh the better end of the deal. On the other hand, Dumo leaving clears up a space in a crowd of defensive prospects. I also believe Rutherford knew something had to happen, and who knows, maybe Ryan talks went nowhere and Nash was overvalued. I'm glad JR kept to his word and did something. I also believe this deal leads to better opportunity signing a bigger name FA, or getting someone to waive a NTC to come here. We definitely just got better, but with losing Sutter, the improvement isn't as big as it could have been. I guess we'll see if that guy who played one game in the NHL last year is all JR chalks him up to be.

I'm going to ignore the draft pick, because that was our asset to make any deal today. Once we see the drafted player develop we won't know how badly we overpaid.

Discuss.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Gah, terrible move! Way way too much to give up for a player who's a UFA in a year. Sutter and a 8 pick? Coulda had Pouliot, Forsberg, Teravainen... Do not like this. Glad to get Staal, but considering we could have had him next year for nothing, I think JR got robbed.

The one hope I have is JR putting him on the first line and moving Eric to wing. That could work. But hate to lose Sutter.

Guess this clears room for Walsh...they must really think something of him.

Edited by JLP

Not happy. We gave up too much for Jordan Staal especially since we likely would have gotten him next year. We should have at least switched first round picks with each other. Wouldn't have been a bad deal had we done so.

Well, we can write off us getting a Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash to play with Eric Staal since we traded our 1st round pick and Sutter.

Maybe with the passage of time this trade won't sting quite as much for me.

On a different note, I was surprised Forsberg was available for us at the 8th pick. Forsberg would have been an excellent forward for us.

Edited by Mercury-VII

I'm 100% certain Jordan signs long term with the 'Canes, so it's not a rental player situation.

Having said that, it seems Sutter was the deal breaker, which kinda sucks. Didn't want to give him up.

What's next? A big offer for Parise? Dare I dream?

Guess it depends if this is the only move or if it leads to more personnel moves. Also, without the future contract terms (assuming he re-signs) set out it is early to tell.

If this trade increases the possibility for snagging a high end UFA on July 1, than it will pay more than just getting Jordan. If UFA's are more willing to consider coming to the Canes this increases his value.

I withhold judgement until July 2nd. Right now though in the short view I am not thrilled with the personnel traded away. When the contract terms are announced I might come around a bit.

I'm 100% certain Jordan signs long term with the 'Canes, so it's not a rental player situation.

After the refusal to accept a 10-year $60 million deal with the Pens, I'm 100% certain that Jordan himself isn't 100% certain he signs long term with the Canes.

Sutter played great for us and I wish him the best. That's why this trade is a little bittersweet. But, it will be great to see Jordan in a Canes uni. Can't wait until October. Go Canes!

After the refusal to accept a 10-year $60 million deal with the Pens, I'm 100% certain that Jordan himself isn't 100% certain he signs long term with the Canes.

He turned down a contract that would have him locked in as a 3rd centre in Pittsburgh forever. Playing on the top line with his brother is an entirely different situation.

JR is going to have to pay for him, no doubt, but I don't think he turned the Pens down because of money.

I highly doubt he walks, he'll probably sign at least 3 to 4 years. I could see JR and Eric convincing him to sign a longer deal though. It's his family that's talking to him now, not Ray Shero.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I highly doubt he walks, he'll probably sign at least 3 to 4 years. I could see JR and Eric convincing him to sign a longer deal though. It's his family that's talking to him now, not Ray Shero.

Not impossible, but if Jordan is that influenced by family ties over the allure of a free-market bidding war, he would have come here next year for nothing. Either way, the trade was for one year of Jordan Staal.

Edited by caniac-1-1

Great trade for us!!!!

Go Canes!!!!

icon_applause2.gif

I promise you we will miss Sutter's shutdown capabilities more than you think. I wonder if

our new coach had any input in all of this ?

J.Staal is a pretty good defensive player as well, lets not forget that. I think it was one player too much, but that's what happens when you have to trade on the draft day.

Not impossible, but if Jordan is that influenced by family ties over the allure of a free-market bidding war, he would have come here next year for nothing. Either way, the trade was for one year of Jordan Staal.

I'll go out on a limb and say that no way did make this deal not knowing he could either extend or re-sign JStaal long term.

Said this elsewhere but will repeat, we have a lot of depth in the middle for the 3rd and 4th line center with Brent, Welsh, Nash, and Rask. J. Staal gives us a sick 2d line with him Skinner and Jokinen. Trusty Brent Dwyer is a very good 3rd line. We need one more to play with Ruutu and big Brother.

Way to overpay JR. You had the upper hand in this because Jordan wouldnt re-sign and you trade all of this.

A great 2 way center, the 8th pick and then the 2nd best D prospect we have. BOOOOOOOO. Jordan is great but plain terrible move. We should have been allowed to get a contract negiotiated for that price.

will wear number? does this mean the Sutter jersies go on sale at The Eye?

Edited by colliefan

I'll go out on a limb and say that no way did make this deal not knowing he could either extend or re-sign JStaal long term.

Even if true, that's only half the equation. As I just said, if Staal was so interested in playing in Carolina with his brother that money isn't the issue, the Canes could have gotten him next year for nothing.

Truly elite talent is hard to come by in the NHL. Jordan will be that (actually already is). He put up 59 points in 68 games this year (including more than a ppg in the playoffs), much of it with less than stellar wingers. Just to use Remkin patented projections, that would have been 71 points over 82 games. This year that would have made him #20 in the league in points, despite third line time, 2 points ahead of ZACH PARISE . And he plays defense.

We now have THE best second line center in hockey.

We will have this kind of productivity locked down for years (JR would not make this deal if he couldn't sign Staal).

Yes Brandon is a tough loss, and I really wanted to see what Doumo would do, and who knows what the #8 pick might have brought, but this draft was thin, and we just locked down one of the best players in the NHL, and gave up none of our top 6.

Maybe JR could have squeezed them and not given up say Doumo, but Brandon ain't putting up 70 points in the NHL. J.Staal will, next year.

If we can somehow add that winger, B.Ryan? We are there.

Edited by remkin

The trade wasn't made by Staal, he had no say in it really. This was all JR/Shero. Mostly JR.

And I doubt JR would offer that much if he didn't think Jordan would either extend or resign.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Great trade for us!!!!

Go Canes!!!!

icon_applause2.gif

I am a long time Penguins fan , always will be , but the Canes just got a real fan , JORDAN STAAL has been my favorite Penguin since 2006 , when can I buy a JORDAN STAAL jersey , GO CANES !!!

Even if true, that's only half the equation. As I just said, if Staal was so interested in playing in Carolina with his brother that money isn't the issue, the Canes could have gotten him next year for nothing.

Sure, and if Sid or Geno go down this season with injury, who do you think gets moved up to take their spots? This deal had to get done now. My guess is that Shero and JR aren't done dealing with each other this off season yet and that JR knows something about free agency that made him ok with losing Sutter and Demoulin.

I am a long time Penguins fan , always will be , but the Canes just got a real fan , JORDAN STAAL has been my favorite Penguin since 2006 , when can I buy a JORDAN STAAL jersey , GO CANES !!!

Welcome, I bet it won't be long before we see the Staal Bros marketing plan hit the shelves at the Eye.

Jordan Staal centering Ruutu or Jussi and Skinner will break 70 points next year. In fact that might be one of the best second lines in the NHL, and 80 points is not out of the question for Jordan.

Edited by remkin