The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Canes Acquire Jordan Staal for 8th pick, Brandon Sutter and Dumo

Nevermind, I read it wrong. Well Pittsburgh has something to be excited about, while your stuck with Joe Corvo.

Joe Corvo has nothing to do with this trade. It was a win-win for both teams. It's hard to take anything you say seriously when your reading comprehension skills seem to be questionable at best.

Joe Corvo has nothing to do with this trade. It was a win-win for both teams. It's hard to take anything you say seriously when your reading comprehension skills seem to be questionable at best.

LOL

I'm staying out of this because I refuse to engage in intellectual combat with an unarmed opponent.

Corvo and the team's defense does have something to do with this trade. You dealt a decent defensive prospect in Brian Dumolin and while you may gain a bit offensively by adding Jordan Staal if your defense sucks you won't get very far. The Thrashers / Jets are terrific proof of that. Score all the goals you want, but if you struggle to stop them what's the point?

The Carolina Hurricanes now have two scoring lines, ok, what else? So if injuries happen to your top 6 who fills in?

Corvo and the team's defense does have something to do with this trade. You dealt a decent defensive prospect in Brian Dumolin and while you may gain a bit offensively by adding Jordan Staal if your defense sucks you won't get very far. The Thrashers / Jets are terrific proof of that. Score all the goals you want, but if you struggle to stop them what's the point?

The Carolina Hurricanes now have two scoring lines, ok, what else? So if injuries happen to your top 6 who fills in?

That last line of yours could easily be said about pittsburgh. Crosby and Malkin are often injured, and this time they won't have 11 to carry the load. And while i love Sutter, he's not even a suitable temporary replacement. And as i recall defense was a big area of improvement for pittsburgh as well. All they have to show from the Sutter trade are 2 guys that's never played 1 min of professional hockey. So maybe you should stick to your division because the division champs got even better and philly's neck and neck

A bit? We gained about 60 points worth of offense vs. what we had.

Yes, to be elite we need to have our D come together, and I really wonder if we could have made that trade work without Dumo, but we really we have two first lines and a pretty competent scoring third line at least on the wings.

As to who steps up, we have a 7th forward in Tlusty who was on a 55 point pace the last 27 games of last year.

Also Semin and Staal are both 2 way players (despite myths to the contrary about Semin).

All of that said, I think you'll see that most of us want some work done on defense. But the moves need not be over. We have some defensive assets. And Corvo, while not the best dman around does seem to play his best here.

Considering where we were around December things are looking pretty good around here. beach.gif

Edited by remkin

That last line of yours could easily be said about pittsburgh. Crosby and Malkin are often injured, and this time they won't have 11 to carry the load. And while i love Sutter, he's not even a suitable temporary replacement. And as i recall defense was a big area of improvement for pittsburgh as well. All they have to show from the Sutter trade are 2 guys that's never played 1 min of professional hockey. So maybe you should stick to your division because the division champs got even better and philly's neck and neck

Malkin's often injured? Not last year. The year before, sure. But Malkin and James Neal, not Staal were the workhorses last year. The Penguins can still win without Crosby. They've proven that. Could the Hurricanes still win without Eric Staal or perhaps Jordan Staal? I'm not seeing it.

I could care less what the Rangers do. They're not in 'my' division. As I said earlier, worry only about the Southeast because the Hurricanes will have to battle to have a chance to win that let alone trump the top 3 teams in the Atlantic. Just sayin'...

Malkin's often injured? Not last year. The year before, sure. But Malkin and James Neal, not Staal were the workhorses last year. The Penguins can still win without Crosby. They've proven that. Could the Hurricanes still win without Eric Staal or perhaps Jordan Staal? I'm not seeing it.

I could care less what the Rangers do. They're not in 'my' division. As I said earlier, worry only about the Southeast because the Hurricanes will have to battle to have a chance to win that let alone trump the top 3 teams in the Atlantic. Just sayin'...

You're forgetting Staal was Malkin's backup when Crosby was out, i'll give Malkin his props for holding it down, but god forbid Crosby goes down, can pittsburgh still survive without Crosby And Staal?

Carolina stole a little thunder from the pens and the caps. That tilts the puck our way a little more in addition to gaining 100pts in two players this offseason. Every team has holes otherwise we'll see a lot more repeat champs. So you should worry about your teams holes instead of mine, unless of course you're a kings fan, then forget what i say.

As I said earlier, worry only about the Southeast because the Hurricanes will have to battle to have a chance to win that let alone trump the top 3 teams in the Atlantic. Just sayin'...

I think you underestimate by far the team that is shaping up before our eyes, but everything is relative.

And as i recall defense was a big area of improvement for pittsburgh as well.

If you mean big area in need of improvement then yes. Though it looks more like the system than the personnel.

And as i recall defense was a big area of improvement for pittsburgh as well.

If you mean big area in need of improvement then yes. Though it looks more like the system than the personnel.

This work stoppage has made me crazy.

I completely forgot we traded Sutter. Du-oh!

Oh sure, I remembered J. Staal. But my mind blocked out the other side of the deal.

Darn it!

Jordan Staal is probably gonna score 35 plus goals.He is way better than Sutter.

I like the way you think. Every player develops differently though, he could end up being much better than he currently is in a couple years. Think of Andrew Ladd when he was dealt, he was a third line grinder. A few years in Chicago and a championship later broke out in Winnipeg/Atlanta and is now a captain.

I agree with your assessment of J. Staal but it won't stop me wishing we had been able to keep Sutter. It was a trade that had to be made but if we could have gotten J. Staal and kept Sutter. Staal-Staal-Sutter down the middle. Oh my!

I agree with your assessment of J. Staal but it won't stop me wishing we had been able to keep Sutter. It was a trade that had to be made but if we could have gotten J. Staal and kept Sutter. Staal-Staal-Sutter down the middle. Oh my!

Don't give up hope, TSA. You know how JR has a history of recycling players. Just saying ..............

I just watched the replay of the Pittsburgh Penguins: Black and Gold Game - Team Black vs Team White (which was televised, by the way) and I should say that Brandon Sutter was brilliant! He played with Cooke and Kennedy and earned 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists). Later, he scored a shootout against Vokoun and, finally, became the 1st star of the game among the players. That's the time when you begin missing him so much.

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

I just watched the replay of the Pittsburgh Penguins: Black and Gold Game - Team Black vs Team White (which was televised, by the way) and I should say that Brandon Sutter was brilliant! He played with Cooke and Kennedy and earned 3 points (1 goal, 2 assists). Later, he scored a shootout against Vokoun and, finally, became the 1st star of the game among the players. That's the time when you begin missing him so much.

It was still a good trade for us. I think Brandon Sutter will do very well with the Pens. But J Staal was a needed addition. I'll focus on what we got and not what we lost. But yes we will miss him.

Agreed. Brandon was a good player but not as good as Staal. We got better with this trade BIG TIME! Pens fans are now saying Jordan is overrated and sucks. 1 year ago he was an elite center to them. Those guys are such fair weather fans!

Yeah, guys, I know it was a good trade for us. And I still believe we got more than lost. But it's just this feeling that we have lost something really important that keeps haunting me every time I hear of the Pens or J. Staal.

This was definitely a two sided trade. Both sides kind of made out. If there were any way to get JStaal and not lose Sutter, trading a winger or Dman it would have been a coup. I doubt it would have happened though. I sometimes wonder if we needed to throw in Doumalin AND the 8 pick, but probably.

But J Staal is going to be really really good, and is really in a different league than Sutter. #2 overall pick, this guy has been remarkably productive despite playing behind Malkin and Crosby much of the time. He's big and fast too. He can be an 80 point guy. Sutter will not be. J Staal is going to break out this year and our centers will be 1a and 1b.

But guys in that top 25-30 fowards in the league are clealry very hard to come by (30 teams suggests ave. of one each). JStaal can be that and he's locked up for years.

I would suggest that E Staal, J Staal, Skinner, and Semin can all be in the top 30 forwards in the league. When you put that together with a nice supporting cast and an All Star goalie.....if we can just be close to average on shots against we will be very good indeed.

I simply cannot wait for tomorrow and beyond!!

Edited by remkin

sutter was good, and i wish he was still on the team, but in no way am i under any delusions that he equals j.staal. my pharmaceuticals are not that strong. we wanted j.staal real bad, so we overpaid, but it was not by trading sutter. i think jr had a eye out for sutter in the trade, knowing that he needed a little more elbow room to "grow". i wish sutter the best of luck except when he is playing us. i am tickled pink at the trade and signing of j.staal.

Jordan Staal is probably gonna score 35 plus goals.He is way better than Sutter.

Actually, looks like Jordan will only light the lamp about as many times on our 2nd line as Brandon Sutter will on the Pens 3rd this year ...  

Jordan Staal is on pace for about 20-goals (in a full season).   Wow... argh!!! 

Maybe the local media can ask him about his wedding day and what it's like playing with his brother another 50-times!!!  Keep those softballs coming guys.  

Naturally Tripp will continue to tell us how good it is having Jordan in a Canes uniform!!!!

Thing is, Jordan Staal's 6-million/year salary is going to hurt our chances of landing more talent (like on Defense) since we only have so much money to go around.  

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Nah, what you see is what you get with Jordan. The Pens had been waiting for his "break out year" for a while and it looked like he wasn't going to have one, really. Then you guys got him. Personally, I believe that Ray Shero offered up that 10 year $60 million dollar offer to the press and only the press to get a better return for Jordan. Notice how no other offers except for Jordans have ever really been made public in the Penguins organization?

Anyhow, he is far from a $6 million a year player.

I personally had issues when the Pens signed him to his 2 years at $3.5 and last 2 years at $4.5 million dollar contract. Dude averaged 20 goals a year for the Pens. Looks like he is still on pace for that average with the Canes as well... Except next year he'll get $6 million for the 20 goals.

The sucky thing is that he is tied for third worse +/- in the league. Not something you'd expect from someone who is supposed to be a 'defensive' forward. The fact is that his questionable defensive plays with the Pens was usually covered up by players like Letang and Orpik. He often times looked somewhat lost on the ice. He often didn't take his guy in the crease and many times cost the Penguins games because of it. Most of the time if there was a guy open in the crease it was Jordan's missed assignment.

I think that everyone saying he was "the best 3rd liner in the game", "The Penguins shut down guy", and "the guy that does the little things right" is all hype and in the end Jordan Staal is all hype.

But that's just me and watching him play for 6 years as a Penguin.

Edited by andino