The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Canes Acquire Jordan Staal for 8th pick, Brandon Sutter and Dumo

I'd give J a full season before killing off your prediciton like that.

Agreed, and with two consistenly healthy, lacing-it-up, teammates.

Ruutu (who everyone knew would be his linemate) was out for 80% of the season. There's been a talent deficit there. Nothing against Dwyer or Jokinen or anyone else who filled in, but they ain't Ruutu.

Skinner is going through some growing pains and has been a completely 1-way player this year. He's only been working his tail off if the puck is on his stick (or might soon be on his stick) within 15 feet of the other team's net. He's been a defensive liability and that puts more pressure on Jordan to cover up.

I'm not defending Jordan's mediocre season, but you can't ignore the context of his season either. We'll know for sure by the end of next year if Shero really got the best of us or not. If Ruutu can stay healthy and Skinner can protect his head (and also do a lot of maturing this summer) then I imagine we'll see a lot more out of Jordan. Just look what Semin did for Eric this year. Eric has had, arguably, his best season ever. He's been extremely consistent, always working hard, and has been productive. It's amazing what a good linemate can do for one's game.

I'm not giving up on Jordan, not after 40 games of this crummy season.

Semin averaged 31.1 goals a season as a Cap. He also averaged 64.33 points per season.

Staal averaged 20 goals a season as a Penguin. Staal averaged 41.33 points per season.

Both players have six years in the NHL and both players were first round picks.

Jordan will make $6 million a year. If he scores his 20 goal average that's $300,000.00 per goal and $145,161.29 per point.

Semin will make $7 million. If he scores his 31 goal average that's $225,080.39 per goal and $108,808.30 per point....

Yeah, I'd rather have Semin.

Semin averaged 31.1 goals a season as a Cap. He also averaged 64.33 points per season.

Staal averaged 20 goals a season as a Penguin. Staal averaged 41.33 points per season.

Both players have six years in the NHL and both players were first round picks.

Jordan will make $6 million a year. If he scores his 20 goal average that's $300,000.00 per goal and $145,161.29 per point.

Semin will make $7 million. If he scores his 31 goal average that's $225,080.39 per goal and $108,808.30 per point....

Yeah, I'd rather have Semin.

Semin has quietly earned the fanbase's respect by his actions on the ice...Jordan, well, not so much...

Semin deserves the A more than Jordan

Its not an either/or when it comes to J and Sasha. I'm happy that they will both be back.

obx.... Jordan Staal's 6-million/year salary is going to hurt our chances of landing more talent (e.g. defense) since we only have so much money to go around.  

Glad you're so happy, but that's little comfort .... about a guy that has done so little this year, and even less last night against the Sens! .

I watched Jordan each time he was on the ice...  watch the Sens game again and focus on him... he's so tentative... and barely digs in deep for the puck...  in fact he often passes it away within a second of touching it. He clearly doesn't play like he wants to be out here ... again replay the game last night against the Sens & watch Jordan each shift.... naturally, mute Tripp!! (ignore all Trip's comments about how "great it is having Jordan around"... Tripp is a marketing shill).

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Complaining about Jordan, or his contract is a moot point. He's here for 10 more years. All we can do is hope he gets better and his production goes up. I guess now we can complain about getting proper wingers for Jordan, that Eric has his. 

obx.... Jordan Staal's 6-million/year salary is going to hurt our chances of landing more talent (e.g. defense) since we only have so much money to go around.  

Glad you're so happy, but that's little comfort .... about a guy that has done so little this year, and even less last night against the Sens! .

I watched Jordan each time he was on the ice...  watch the Sens game again and focus on him... he's so tentative... and barely digs in deep for the puck...  in fact he often passes it away within a second of touching it. He clearly doesn't play like he wants to be out here ... again replay the game last night against the Sens & watch Jordan each shift.... naturally, mute Tripp!! (ignore all Trip's comments about how "great it is having Jordan around"... Tripp is a marketing shill).

Back when we signed J I wasn't for the trade. I really thought we could wait and he would play out the year. We would keep Sutter and the Canes world would be a better place. But JR was under tremendous pressure to sign a top 6 and the feeling was J could either be E wing or 2nd line center. Semin wasn't even on the radar yet. J $6 mil and other top end salaries are going to hamper us. But it is what it is.

We will probable be looking at a veteran D man who can hold his own but not break the bank. We will probable give Smurf a chance too.

I'm happy we have both J and Sasha because it gives us a chance at two solid lines. I'm not happy with J's production but I think he will come around and fit in. It might be more of a hope but I'm sticking with it. 

I'm willing to see what shakes out in the first half of next season.

I'm not happy with J's production but I think he will come around and fit in. It might be more of a hope but I'm sticking with it. 

I'm willing to see what shakes out in the first half of next season.

Gottcha OBX!!

I hope he does too.  Maybe I'm just not as patient (maybe I need to get to my home on Hatteras and chill).

In any case, I "worry" that Jordan might never "step up his game." Basically, he's what we've seen?  He's 24 and that's not really all that young (see Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, Kane etc etc all 24 or under) in the NHL anymore.

Btw, check out/vote the J.Staal vs Brandon Sutter poll... also note link showing what Pens fans think (some decent insights about Jordan).

POLL ON PENS SITE: http://fans.penguins.nhl.com/community/topic/19155-jordan-staal-vs-b-sutter/

POLL ON CANES SITE: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/21416-jordan-staal-vs-b-sutter/

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Semin could be a good leader but his disconnect with English would likely be an issue and I'm not keen on handing out letter's for stat production. It's kinda how Jordan got his letter which is the basis of the past few pages anyway. A guy like Ruu I could get behind wearing the A but haven't seen much of him this year to really even back that up. He fire's guy's up, throws the body around to get the guys going and although not much of a fighter still gets into the scrums when needed.

Semin has quietly earned the fanbase's respect by his actions on the ice...Jordan, well, not so much...

Semin deserves the A more than Jordan

Edited by legend-1