The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
SuckaPunchd

Canes Acquire Jordan Staal for 8th pick, Brandon Sutter and Dumo

I like the move. I also would like to see us continue trying to add another scorer. However, this makes for a good off-season so far in my eyes. Jordan is young and very talented, more so sometimes than his brother, so let the duo reek havoc for seasons to come!

No shock to hear Jordan isn't assuming to bump Eric to wing. Just giving his big brother the respect he deserves since it's been his slot all these years. That being said, it's a possibility. Will depend on what else we do this off-season. I like them centering different lines myself. Call whichever one the first line you want, I don't think there will be a huge drop off from one to the next. They will probably test all the possible combinations in the preseason and I trust Muller to decide whats best. I fully expect them to be on the PP together and in late game situations, could they even make up a PK unit or is that overkill?

Talking about where Jordan Staal will play is a nice diversion but it probable won't be decided until after training camp and pre-season. At this point we don't even know what the roster will look like. I'm sure much will depend on who we add. I'm sure Muller will make the decision when the time is right.

Talking about where Jordan Staal will play is a nice diversion but it probable won't be decided until after training camp and pre-season. At this point we don't even know what the roster will look like. I'm sure much will depend on who we add. I'm sure Muller will make the decision when the time is right.

I don't know OBX'r, having a good idea where J. Staal will play could determine the pieces JR may add or subtact in FA or trade. I'd be more inclined to think Muller and JR will talk about that pretty quickly.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I don't know OBX'r, having a good idea where J. Staal will play could determine the pieces JR may add or subtact in FA or trade. I'd be more inclined to think Muller and JR will talk about that pretty quickly.

I'm sure Muller and JR talk often. I'm sure Muller is included in discussion before a trade is made. But its possible the trade will dictate where J Staal plays. If we do go after a top FA winger my guess is J Staal is a second line center. If we are able to get another decent center maybe JorE Staal go to wing.

what might be the biggest determining factor is who we are actually able to get. There is no guarantee just because we want a FA wing we get one. So then we go to plan B or C.

I don't know.

I wonder about the notion of J. Staal on the wing. Most Pens fans think he is not nearly as effective on the wing. I really have no reason to doubt them. So, if one of them moves to the wing, seems more likely it's Eric.

Yeah Jordan Staal for whatever reason always struggled when they Put him on a line with Crosby or Malkin to try and get him off the 3rd line. Even when Crosby was playing lights out in 2010 before the concussion, He just always gave the vibe he wasn't comfortable on the Wing so he was promptly moved back to Center.

I assumed if they put him with Eric, that Eric would play the Wing, but Jordan might do better as a wing if he has chemistry with his brother, but Jordan should definitely be a center until he gets fully comfortable with the team, the guy is a proven beast in that role and logged insane playing time and made things happen when Crosby was injured as the #2 Center.

From Puckdaddy.com:

Jordan Staal on being traded during his wedding, turning down Penguins’ 10-year proposal

asdasdasddsa.jpg

Brian Burke on Jordan Staal trade: ‘We didn’t have a brother named Staal’

146830769.jpg

Winners and losers in the 2012 Draft:

Winner: Carolina Hurricanes

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford plans to be aggressive in the free agent market and his first move was in acquiring Staal to join his brother Eric in Carolina. The younger Staal has been stuck behind Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin since he was drafted in 2006 and will now get his chance to "spread his wings" as Shero said on Friday night to become that top-2 center he didn't get the chance to be on a regular basis in Pittsburgh

I believe the very fact we are debating who will be first line center proves the magnitude of this trade. When is the last time we debated that? (Besides Staals horrible run at the beginning of this past year)

Interesting article comparing (or trying not to compare) Sutter to JStaal:

Sutter's role expected to mirror Staal's - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

and from Canada.com, well....they think the Canes lost out by moving Brandon Sutter

Many Moves, few Improvements at NHL Draft

It seemed like optics were the watchword at the NHL draft Friday with a lot of teams making moves but few really improving their chances for next season other than the Pittsburgh Penguins.Take the blockbuster on the evening which was Jordan Staal going to Carolina for Brandon Sutter, a first round pick with whom the Pittsburgh Penguins turned into Derrick Pouliot and another young defenceman Ryan Dumoulin.

This move will really drive enthusiasm in the Carolina market and perhaps sell some tickets but looking at the deal and the way coach Kirk Muller had them going towards the end of the season, you have to wonder what the Canes management was thinking. Sutter is already just the kind of centre many teams are looking for and given he's going in behind Evgeny Malkin and Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh, he fits the Pens need perfectly. His salary demands won't be anywhere near as high as Staal's and he's already a proven star in the league and the Pens get two good defensive prospects in the bargain. To be sure you have to know Pens' GM Ray Shero liked the deal because he jumped at it within a couple of days of Staal turning down the 10-year offer which was alleged to have been offered him, said to be near the $60 million mark. What it does for Carolina other than allowing the Staal brothers to play together is a mystery.

“I wasn't looking to move Jordan at all but a lot of teams were calling about him, they read the newspapers too,” said Shero to the assembled media. “It just seemed like the timing was right. It was a good move for us and hopefully it's a win-win for both teams. Jordan needed an expanded, bigger role somewhere else and maybe Carolina can do that. It's hard to give him up though because every player who comes through here is part of the family and with him, having won a Cup with him and he being my first ever draft pick, it's tough. But it seemed like the timing was right.

“Brandon was the key to the deal as an already proven 23-year-old centre, a proven NHL player and we got some young on defence and these guys are really hard to find.”

Said Carolina GM Jim Rutherford: “When Ray suggested near the end of the season that they may not be able to keep all three guys (Staal, Crosby and Malkin), I let him know we'd like to be involved and this came together quickly. I came in early and we wrapped this up about quarter to seven (PST) tonight. We always felt if we could get Jordan, Eric (Staal) could move to the wing where he played really well in the Olympics. It's really tough to part with Brandon though. Really love the guy, good player from a great hockey family himself but makes a lot of sense for Pittsburgh. It's a very fair deal and hopefully it works well for both teams.”

Works for Pittsburgh, particularly if they have in fact cleared enough cap space (almost $6 million) with the later Zbynek Michalek trade to Phoenix to allow a pitch for soon to be unrestricted free agent Zach Parise, given his friendship with Crosby. But while Carolina will be better next year just for having Muller around all season, how much this roster has been improved long term especially remains to be seen, particularly when the young defencemen they surrendered mature. Jordan Staal is a good player, clearly the best in the deal, but so is Sutter and how much the Canes gained vs. how much they lost is open to question.

Full article here

Interesting article comparing (or trying not to compare) Sutter to JStaal:

Sutter's role expected to mirror Staal's - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

and from Canada.com, well....they think the Canes lost out by moving Brandon Sutter

Many Moves, few Improvements at NHL Draft

It seemed like optics were the watchword at the NHL draft Friday with a lot of teams making moves but few really improving their chances for next season other than the Pittsburgh Penguins.Take the blockbuster on the evening which was Jordan Staal going to Carolina for Brandon Sutter, a first round pick with whom the Pittsburgh Penguins turned into Derrick Pouliot and another young defenceman Ryan Dumoulin.

This move will really drive enthusiasm in the Carolina market and perhaps sell some tickets but looking at the deal and the way coach Kirk Muller had them going towards the end of the season, you have to wonder what the Canes management was thinking. Sutter is already just the kind of centre many teams are looking for and given he's going in behind Evgeny Malkin and Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh, he fits the Pens need perfectly. His salary demands won't be anywhere near as high as Staal's and he's already a proven star in the league and the Pens get two good defensive prospects in the bargain. To be sure you have to know Pens' GM Ray Shero liked the deal because he jumped at it within a couple of days of Staal turning down the 10-year offer which was alleged to have been offered him, said to be near the $60 million mark. What it does for Carolina other than allowing the Staal brothers to play together is a mystery.

“I wasn't looking to move Jordan at all but a lot of teams were calling about him, they read the newspapers too,” said Shero to the assembled media. “It just seemed like the timing was right. It was a good move for us and hopefully it's a win-win for both teams. Jordan needed an expanded, bigger role somewhere else and maybe Carolina can do that. It's hard to give him up though because every player who comes through here is part of the family and with him, having won a Cup with him and he being my first ever draft pick, it's tough. But it seemed like the timing was right.

“Brandon was the key to the deal as an already proven 23-year-old centre, a proven NHL player and we got some young on defence and these guys are really hard to find.”

Said Carolina GM Jim Rutherford: “When Ray suggested near the end of the season that they may not be able to keep all three guys (Staal, Crosby and Malkin), I let him know we'd like to be involved and this came together quickly. I came in early and we wrapped this up about quarter to seven (PST) tonight. We always felt if we could get Jordan, Eric (Staal) could move to the wing where he played really well in the Olympics. It's really tough to part with Brandon though. Really love the guy, good player from a great hockey family himself but makes a lot of sense for Pittsburgh. It's a very fair deal and hopefully it works well for both teams.”

Works for Pittsburgh, particularly if they have in fact cleared enough cap space (almost $6 million) with the later Zbynek Michalek trade to Phoenix to allow a pitch for soon to be unrestricted free agent Zach Parise, given his friendship with Crosby. But while Carolina will be better next year just for having Muller around all season, how much this roster has been improved long term especially remains to be seen, particularly when the young defencemen they surrendered mature. Jordan Staal is a good player, clearly the best in the deal, but so is Sutter and how much the Canes gained vs. how much they lost is open to question.

Full article here

This whole article is to make pens fans feel better about losing an elite player. Comparing Jordan to Jared is pretty laughable.

This whole article is to make pens fans feel better about losing an elite player. Comparing Jordan to Jared is pretty laughable.

true, in a nutshell, pittburgh fans, we got a great player, u got a very, very good one, and 2 possible ones.. leave it at that, time will tell.. ok?? :)

this is a great deal i'm excited about. Yes Sutter was very good but the canes need goals scored and Sutter did not do that. Jordan and Eric will. I think Jordan will bring out the best in Eric which is a 90point scorer and hopefully Jordan will have a caree year and put up 70 himself. This to me is much better than bringing back the same ol team where nobody scores more than 20 goals. Jordan brings size and physical grit which is extremely valuble as well as penalty killing and shut down defense. I think it was apparent we were not gonna pick up Nash,Ryan,Parise. I'm sure they are gonna go to big hockey markets that pay more. We needed this for many different reasons and it was a great move by JR. I'm once again excited about the Canes.

I think that this move was needed to get a great player, but also to generate excitement for the fans and the players.

You can tell by this and other threads that the fans are excited. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the Canes, not just Eric, are very excited about this acquisition. It reminds me of The Season when the Canes players appreciated it when JR acquired Weight and Recchi.

Edited by go_canes_go

Finally recovered from the trade.

I have been over at the Pittsburgh NHL site and have read most of the posts dumping on Jordan Staal. There are still some supporters who respect his value and what he had done for the Pens, but they were in the minority and derided by the fellow board members. I was going to rant and rage about this on that board and this one, but I'll wait. I'll wait until Jordan Staal kicks butt with the Canes.

Have been a Pens fan since I was a little kid(picked them because I liked penguins as an animal) and have stuck with them through the years, good and mostly bad.

I understand sports teams are a business and rarely do I ever get attached to a certain player because they hardly ever stay with one team throughout their career.

Franco Harris(showing my age), Rickey Henderson, and now Jordan Staal.

Jordan is NOT a 1st line center yet. Well, He might be if you throw him into the fire right away, but I think another year in a scoring role as a 2nd line center would prove him out. He does seem uncomfortable on the wing, but might just need more time to adjust to a new role. As I look at it though, with Eric and Jordan on the team does it really matter? Keep them split up on different lines and you have what you need. Play them together when you need a rush. Put them on the PP together and watch them gel.

Career high 50 points last year in 62 games. Give him some more PP time, better wings, and a full season? 60 points easy. 70 points probable. 80 points, not too far-fetched. He had Sullivan and Dupuis as wingers on the second line and did well with them. Not that they are scoring machines or anything. When Crosby came back in, back to third line with scoring machines, Kennedy and Cooke. His point production went down slightly, but he still kept going.

Pk'er. Yes, he plays the PK well and is always a threat for a rush down the ice for a shorty. If you have a weaker PK, he will help out.

Of course with more PP time, 2nd line minutes, and PK time, you would think he might get tired? The young man is a horse and will chew up those minutes like candy.

I saw someone ask about Jordan being used in shootouts? Nope, not really a finesse guy. Pens have quite a few of those. Staal is more of a "holy crap, all 6' 4", 220 pounds is coming right at me" kind of scorer. On a rush, he blows by you or through you. Only chance is to try and slap the puck away because he sticks out that long arm and pushes D-men aside. He has developed quite a wrist shot the past 2 years as well.

Jordan Staal is not a superstar(as of yet. he is young) and cannot carry a team on his back. He needs some supporting cast and will make the Canes a lot better.

I have more info on him if you want, just ask.

Oh, and I know that it would be merely speculation at this point, but Jordan Staal will sign with the Canes for a 5 to 7 year deal. He is playing in a system with 2 of his brothers and is sure as hell going to wait until Marc joins them. The Staal's are a very close family. The Canes are giving him what he wants, a bigger offensive role. He'll sign this summer for about 6 mil.

Now that I will be watching and following the Canes a heck of a lot more closely, I need some info from you.

Can I have a list if current roster players, positions, and a short synopsis on each of them? To know the team, you have to know the players.

Also, information on the coach is a necessity.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Go Canes!

I have a question a little off topic. Jared Staal? Is there a chance he could make team this year and there be 3 Staals? Also, does anybody know if he's really any good? seems like the other brothers made NHL at 18 and he's already 21. Didn't put up very big numbers either in the minors. I think he's a foward right?

I have a question a little off topic. Jared Staal? Is there a chance he could make team this year and there be 3 Staals? Also, does anybody know if he's really any good? seems like the other brothers made NHL at 18 and he's already 21. Didn't put up very big numbers either in the minors. I think he's a foward right?

Good question. We have a few who follow the AHL and ECHL teams pretty closely so hopefully they can provide some info.

Welcome back Burgh13, great insight.

Jared is a right winger, he's 6'4'' 210lbs. He's bounced around the ECHL and AHL the past couple seasons. I very highly doubt he'll crack the NHL lineup, I believe he needs at least extended time in the AHL. He may get a good look this year at camp, but mostly for grins and letting the brothers bond (and to try to ignite some motivation in Jared). Jared had the worst statistics out of the Staal brothers in the OHL. (I don't know Marc's stats but he was a defenseman) Jared's biggest problem throughout his hockey career is inconsistency. Here's a little summary of his career from the season before last (first season out of the OHL):

2010-11: The season was one of learning and adjustment for the youngest of the four hockey-playing Staal brothers. The 20-year-old split the season between Charlotte (AHL) and the ECHL’s Florida Everblades. Staal began the year with Charlotte, seeing limited time in nine games and was sent to Florida in an effort to get him playing more. He spent another stretch with the Checkers in December, appearing in three games, and played in one contest in April as well as practicing with the team during the AHL playoffs (he did not play in any games). In 13 games with Charlotte he had 1 goal with 1 assist and was -3 with 18 PMs. Staal was a bit more productive for the Everblades; scoring 6 goals with 5 assists and finishing with a -3 plus/minus.

Last year he played 37 games for the Checkers, with 3g, 3a, 6pts. He was loaned to the Providence Bruins for the last of the season scoring two assists in 7 games for the Bruins.

Now that I will be watching and following the Canes a heck of a lot more closely, I need some info from you.

Can I have a list if current roster players, positions, and a short synopsis on each of them? To know the team, you have to know the players.

Also, information on the coach is a necessity.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Go Canes!

Thanks for the information! I will send you a PM to keep this thread on topic with the info you want :)

This move signifies one thing! JR is finally trying to put some real players on our team. We have a great talent pool our farm system, thats going to take some time to develop. While we are waiting on the stars of tomorrow, lets worry a little more about today. What are we doing today to promote our team, to give our fans what they need, to stay RELEVANT?! This is not a move for 2012-13, but for the following year. If you think that this free agency pool is impressive, then wait until next season. Jordan makes us more attractive to other players. Let's start building that dynasty that our rookies will want to be a part of.

Actually, the article is dead nuts on. Both teams got what they wanted(needed). For Pittsburgh, yes, obviously Staal is the better of the two players - right now. But with the offensive talent already in place in Pittsburgh, Sutter doesn't need to be as good offenceivly as Staal, and he's already as good, if not better defenceivly. Plus he's a LOT cheaper. If Shero is able to sign Parise as a result of this and the Michalek trade, they ought to erect a statue of him next to Lemieux's.